Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is Minitokyo slowly Dying? - Minitokyo

Is Minitokyo slowly Dying?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 38 total items

Hi everyone hope im right here to start that Conversation XP

I noticed that over the last 2 years Minitokyo is getting more and more empty, Fewer Wallpapers are made and the groups are almost all dead.
many Veteran Waller retired or are to busy with real life i was inactive for a longer time myself but with things as they are right now i wonder if Minitokyo will be able to survive.

MisaSasekage

MisaSasekage

War Queen

I will agree that fewer Wallpapers & Indy-art seem to be made, though there are a few wallers who make art fairly regularly for shows they like and/or take requests as well. Though I don't know about the group situation... Mostly things pick up around summer because y'know the possibility of more free time etc for members.

i´ll be honest here...i have zero knowledge about editing or retouch a picture...but i love anime and manga and here i can found all kind of images of my favorities serie s and while minitokio exist i´ll keep on visiting and posting ...i think i been a suscriber on this page since 2008 more or less and, but for me the traffic is the same...there a re always new pics an more forum...so i hope this page keeep on going another 7 or 8 years ....this page is just awesome ...love it

All Groups im in are dead like for two years now and the forum looks a bit deserted sometimes too.
The Scan section is sure lively and thats great but im seriously worried about the Future for the Walling section, i thought about creating a group and gather all the new Wallers but that function is disabled and now i think how can we prevent to lose a stable community and Wallpaper section.

Im kinda sad to see that MT is going to be more inactive in Community Ways, Since AP is gone there is only Minitokyo where i could get High quallity Wallpaper so seeing fewer and fewer submissions and to many low quallity work (no offense against those wallers) worries me afterall there arent groups anymore wich can motivate each other or challenge for new highs.

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

A few observations and answers to some questions. Wish my name wasn't blue now ; ; since it's just my 2 cents as a fellow member who has been around for ages.

Even though Minitokyo has it's overal activity dropped, it has slightly been improving. Slowly, buy surely. For myself, it is quite a shock to have so many artists retiring around the same time, so it took down the entire activity of the wall section. I started to feel a bit lonely. I had good connections with a lot of those artists and then...they were gone and only a few were left. Wall section now: Submissions are done regularly and it's quite steady unlike about a year ago.

Actually, lower quality works are not accepted here. There will always be some minimal requirement for quality. Wallpaper mods look at jaggies, filtering and composition to make that happen. Although, they are not top wallpapers, they certainly are not bad and very usable. A few of us are very open to helping people out becoming better artist and will make better wallpapers as a result (take Elisa for ex. She made huge progress). Feel free to poke one of the wall mods (me or Pandemonium) or one of the active wallers. We're most likely all willing to help others out.

Groups can be made through a moderator, so you just have to request it (possibly PM). It was disabled for members time ago, like 2010 or something. They most likely died because the active groups' people slowly left and it became more of a show my wallpaper spam place.

As for wallpapers, you probably will have to stick to official ones if not for minitokyo. Otherwise it's just scans. Sometimes you do see a wallpaper sized artwork most likely coming from pixiv.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

MT is not Dying, at least not for me, it has became a huge community now, more like a social site, but we still have new wallpapers from current artists who are awesome too.
I know MT for more than 3 years and I've seen a downfall in walls, most of old wallers who were awesome (like Sakuradust, Chrisp etc.) are busy in real life.
Even most of my old friends back then when I was new here are busy in real life, most of them have job so they are busy.
But you can see there are many new wallers who are trying to contribute the site, for keeping it alive, we have new scans almost everyday and about Indy art many artists still submit it, even I as an Traditional art artist is busy but I try my best to submit arts time to time.

We have Elite wallers who helps happily, rookie artists to improve their art like how Valuna said.
Many of Rookie artist at your time are now Elite artists, things are changing and busy life is driving us all crazy but to think of it that there are still new artworks coming time to time is enough to make our Beloved site Alive.

Compare to the time when I was new here, I've seen a rise in wallpaper quality too (not in all but some walls are of Extremely high quality like Elisa's, Painter's, Val's, Baraka-sempai's, Cilou's and others').
Forums are not so active, but we try our best to keep them active, very most reason of inactivity in forums are lack of topics that can be discussed.Off topics are running fine though.
Last year MT completed its Decade and we celebrated it with contests, and we get huge amount of awesome walls there, and Mods still try their best by contests and events once an year.

Ups and downs comes in every point but it doesn't mean we will let our beloved site to die that easily.

As for a group for increasing wallers' skill we have one http://wallpaper-games-2.minitokyo.net/

Considering your point, I will try to upload as much as Artworks I can now, I don't want MT to be less active.

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

There are many topics which can be discussed in the forms like the all the new animes, mangas, Novels. Sure hope that the forum would be more active since thats the easiest way to make new friends.

MT is a great Database of Scans but the community is what seperates it from sites like Yandere, e-shuushuu or safeboorou.
Im sorrz if i was to harsh about the new wallers i dont intent to say thez are bad im just used to all those Amazing wallpapers from back then its true that we should help the new people more so thez can improve

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

Hmmm let's see.. online Members: 102 (last 15 minutes). Total Online: 1,086. That's a decent ammount of people so nope, MT is still kicking and alive.

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

Well then its just the overall activity i think, if you take a look at the Fav+ the Wallpapers nowdays gets its in think a average of 30 favs while it was2-3 years ago over 100 favs. Maybe i miscalculated but most of the Walls in the gallery nowdays get that many Favs.
Its also sad about the Forum being not as active as i would love to see it but at least its no ghosttown XD.

I really wonder if people dont like to open up to others here and make friends

Huesin

Huesin

dead to everyone

I don't know, maybe they're more interested in downloading than commenting or talking. People is still out there though, they're not as active as before, that's the problem. I remember people used to comment and fave more when the credit system was still working. Now most of them just do their thing and leave. Not only here, it happens in all websites.. At least here in MT we don't have that many trolls like in other sites, am i right? I think that's a very good thing.

I guess it's time to go back to spamming the off-topic forums, and try to revive the ghost town >:)

Signature
Into a world of lies.

yeah i try also to be more active in Forum and commenting, it might not change anything but i think if ima more active maybe some more people want to be moere active and part of the community as well.

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

I want to say Change starts from yourself, so if you want to make our Beloved site more active try to be an active member, participate in forums, in SB, gallery comments and other activities, remember this site is not just for walls and scans, it's much more than that! :D

And I might sound rude or weird or a complete fool but MT IS WAY BETTER THAN FACEBOOK OR ANY OTHER SOCIAL SITES! ( Please delete this part if it sounds inappropriate)
But Minitokyo is Awesome, Sugoi, Lajawab, Shandaar site Ever

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

Well you it the spot ;)
Motivating others to be active by bwein active oneself doesnt sounds bad!
I also figured that one of the Things miising here in the forum is that there arent any Actuall Threads About specific Anime series, just seen the common whats your favorite Character and such stuff but not discussion about animes like it should be on a Site specialized in Anime/Manga

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Hmm, yes, when you look at the amount of users online it definitely does not look like MT is dying. I agree about the amount of favs and comments but it still is possible to reach 100 favs even today. Difficult but possible. The reason is, just like it has been stated above, that there aren't so many people who can make quality walls lately. And I would also say the expectations have gone higher up. What was considered breathtaking and received 500 favs in 2005 probably wouldn't get so much attention today... We have more sophisticated ways to make art today, we have much better resources and technical possibilities than people did 10 years ago. And people simply expect more.

I do believe the disposal of the credit system is partly to blame for the recent activity drop. I'm sure people tried more when stuff wasn't 'free' like it is now, and did something to 'earn' a download or whatever they wanted, even if meant to simply leave a comment or participate in something.

Well the Credit System had its Pros and Cons, personally i think without the Credit system there arent any Spammer as much as back then and if somone now comments a a Wallpaper/Scan/Indy then the person is serious about its comment.

There are still many Talented Wallers here, sure its n othing like Nyshas Walls as example (just droped in my mind if i think about Breathless and Walls in one Sentence) but commenting isnt just about "wow i love it, Fav+" its also about helping for improvement or people noticing flaws you didnt see first.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

The site is fine and if people are looking for discussions, there must be something worth discussing about and a topic with replies that make people want to post more.

I'd lean more toward the community changing rather than being dead.

There's nothing much to reply to when people mostly say 'yea i hate those guys' and end the post. 10 years of that gets boring, especially for older members.

Back in the day, we had people confessing to their darker habits like recently backstabbing a friend for money.
Most of the recent threads have been personal information such as who you like the most in certain animes. The discussion you're looking for can't be had in threads like that.

As time progresses, people generally feel less need to talk about things since they can google it to get some answers to their questions.

Doesn't help that most get emotionally hurt during discussions at times then turn self-righteous and insecure to a point they never want to participate in the forum any more.
Sometimes it just can't be helped.
People are people.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

While we have relaxed the submission standards a bit to encourage newbies to submit their stuff, we will not allow everything. Part of MT's appeal is its emphasis on high quality resources. We're not just an image dump where you can pass off screenshots enlarged to 400% as "art". MT will truly die off the day we allow everything.

Like Val said, a lot of the older artists are retiring because of various reasons, most common being loss of interest in anime/making graphics and real life getting in the way. I've been noticing ever-growing breaks between my submissions as well, something I used to think of as preposterous a few years ago.
But it's true. People grow up and don't have as much time/energy/interest to invest in making graphics or watching anime.

And due to the older crowd leaving or not submitting as often as they used to, new generations of wallers come in. They might make baby steps or smack us in the face with something amazing - the point is that we do everything in our power to encourage them. But we also understand those who don't want to improve in a drastic manner; they're just making graphics and want to share them, not become the next big thing on the international art stage.

Overall, it's also the shift in mentality that comes with the progress of technology: it's much easier to just download and move on than to favorite and add a comment. Add to this the fact that MT gave up on the credits system (which was antiquated), and you can see how participation dropped. I read somewhere once that anime sites are dying off, but TBH I don't go to other sites aside from MT, TheOtaku (remember once a month I have an account there; it's dying off) and AP (which already tanked), so I can't say whether this is true or not. Anyone got more info on this?

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Dont know much about other sites but when i searched for similar sites like MT i found only Websites with no Class so none is on this quallity level.
any sites were empty and hat nothin amazing submittet so i think its the other sites die because the of the lack of resources.

i never really had any problems with the Credit System XD but its sure faster without it, maybe i will take my time and see how the faving goes over a longer period of time, my old walls gathered all the favs over years.

Still i hope the Forum would be more active but thats something that can change pretty fast and depending on members who are active in that way or not

Huesin

Huesin

dead to everyone

Thanks to Pande, I feel old because she said the credit system was antiquated. I loved the credit system, a bit xD

I agree though, MT is not dying, but that would happen if MT allows everything, like Deviantart does for example. Lately DA has no standards. People upload the worst things there. They shouldn't have let that happen. DA used to be a site to watch and upload only good artworks, now you can see poor sketches of ponies and other stuff uploaded every second. Ugh..

The best you can find out there are sites that rip-off wallpapers and scans from MT and other few sites. At least here people are still trying to improve their artistic skills. Some have a long way to go and some are pretty good because they draw and practice everyday. But that's how life is, nobody can be a good artist (or a good anything) without making the effort to become one, right?

Signature
Into a world of lies.

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Lol, the credit system was nice while it lasted, and it was easy to make credits. I had tons that I didn't use, like the papers at AP - except the papers weren't really that many once I got to downloading all the scans I wanted to. In the end AP tanked before I could download all the scans I'd been saving up for, lol.

DA is an odd case. On one hand you have amazing artists that people (rightfully) fawn over, and on the other hand there are people uploading screenshots or doodles as "art". I prefer to go to DA mostly for abstract and scenic wallpapers, and sometimes get lovely phone walls out of other illustrations.

I remember a Russian (?) site that I think has MT's entire archive of walls, lol. Like you reverse image search an old wall and find it only on MT and that site - with all the tags it has on MT, too!

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

I remember Azazel's artwork from 2005 on DA. (or was it 2007?)
Was that quality of art that made me think DA was a good site, he had some museum quality works there - but tbh I'm not as much of an art nut as the next guy. Only came to MT back then since I had nothing to do and browsed scans. Most of the scans I used for sig and avatar making, I also used for site BGs and banners when I was hosting my own forum for a couple of friends.
MT was my resource, more or less.

If you want the forum to be active, got to start making threads and replying to them. I'm sure in this modern world, people have plenty to talk about. Still stand by what I said in the last post where most have become shy of themselves.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

I don't know if this has been said yet, but MT kinda cycles through active and nonactive. There will be times were its bustling with activity and times where it wont be. Groups apply to the same rule except their non active periods tend to be... longer. So don't expect groups to stay active, its just not realistic.

I'm gon' be straight with yall. I ain't coming back here.

DA is kkinda weird in my opininion, could never really connect to the poeple there or the Art, something are amazing and others are just sad but thats how it is.
The credit siystem sure was fun because it was easy to earn credits compared to Aps Papers system where you had to donate to get the papers you need for scans or make Wallpapers/Submit scans for it, Im sure it was the time where i made wallpaper more in Quantity then Quality so now its otherwise.
Im glad to hear that MT is far from dying, i will do my best to contribute my part to the community so i hope to spend some more great years here like i did on AP.

Everytime i think about making a new Thread i got the question about people even replying there so it turns me off but i should fight that thought XD

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Well that's the problem then.
Everyone is afraid of nobody replying before they even try :)

Well, thanks for being part of the community and trying is all I can do to thank you. I'd thank everyone else but not many make threads about these things.

Just want all of you to remember that you don't need to worry about replies dying. As long as you don't abandon the thread, it won't abandon you :)

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 38 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.