Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Assembly of artworks = Wallpaper ? - Minitokyo

Assembly of artworks = Wallpaper ?

Tagged under Sketchbook Full Color's

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Himither

Himither

H~I~H

Edit:

Hmm still no reaction, too much text or is "The Sandbox" simply a lonely place? xD

Anyways, I finished the version with the art club members only and started submitting the scans, but hit the 10 uploads per 24h limit.
I guess I'll submit the wallpaper as part of the next 10 uploads and see what happens.

The rest of the scans will fellow afterwards, well not like they're rare or anything. >.<

H~I~H

Hi there,

I've got something here. but I don't know if should upload this as a wallpaper or not.
To be precise I tried arranging the character artworks at the end of each chapter from the sketchbook manga in a way that (hopefully) the eyes can accept. xD

I first tried it a couple of months with ago paint.net,
but the result made me think it could be better and so I retried with photoshop and better scans yesterday/today.

photoshop version (this is the "wallpaper" I would like to upload, after some slight updates that is)
http://www11.pic-upload.de/thumb/28.01.15/t7fs6wi49dc.png
paint.net version (for comparison)
http://www11.pic-upload.de/thumb/28.01.15/jtyd5yufbykl.png

I played with sharpness, contrast, brightness etc. too make the slightly different artworks fit together better.
An absurdly small upper body (President, guy on the left) and an absurdly big left hand (Fū, the girl on the right holding up the brush) which messed up the proportions way too much got resized. xD

I also tried to stay true to the data on the characters heights and tried to make them interact with each other.

The feets look a bit weird put together like this so I'll add some more of the main cat characters to hide them some more.

At this point I don't know what to do with the background, hopefully I'll find something useful in the volume 9-10 raw scans, which I haven't seen yet.

Also I'm not too happy with the placement of Ooba (the one one the left side holding her hands up), there just wasn't enough room to fit her in the front anymore.
In the ALL character version it play out juse fine thanks to Asakura-sensei, but not in the art club only version.
I probably will put her more towards the center/right of the picture.

Actually it kind of looks like Kasugano-Sensei (in the center) is looking behind her, maybe this way I can make the two of them seem to interact with each other? o.O
Like this:
Kasugano-Sensei: Who're you?
Ooba: *lifts her hands up shocked* ...I'm a member of the art club! T_T

Now that would be a perfect fit for Oobas character. xD
Mh yes, actually I think I will do exactly that.

Anyway, remember the All character version I mentioned shortly?

This is the pain.net version

Spoiler (show)

http://www11.pic-upload.de/thumb/28.01.15/h6zml5fz2tyf.png

The version with all characters sure is crowded, but I guess I'll still redo it in photoshop later,
especially because I spent a lot of thought/time on how to place the characters together.

Ok, that's about it! I tried to avoid a wall of text, but it's still a lot to read. Sorry! >.<

H~I~H

Signature

I would say a higher resolution would be great and maybe to vexel them all since Vectoring every singe one would take a hell of time.
I can Imagine it to be a grteart Monochrome styled Wallpaper but only if it is being vectored or vexeld.
It simply missing color or Contrast in my eyes

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

I don't know, I think it's overcrowded. Like, it's a nice edit and put together quite well but I wouldn't make a wall out of it. It's just a bunch of characters on a white BG. At least add a house behind them or something relevant to the manga.

sure i would suggest to decrease the characters but since he want it that way i think it would look great if the character were simply vectrored, just the line art in black and a abstract like BG.
But i dont know any of the characters so i cant even say if its a crossover or not but important is the quallity of the overall Image

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Quote by Shimazakisure i would suggest to decrease the characters but since he want it that way i think it would look great if the character were simply vectrored, just the line art in black and a abstract like BG.

I was referring to the fact that it's ONLY characters and nothing else. I understand he wants them all there so I just suggest adding something.

Quote by ShimazakiBut i dont know any of the characters so i cant even say if its a crossover or not but important is the quallity of the overall Image

ok but the overall impression and aesthetic quality are important as well. you can make quality images however technically amazing you want; if they aren't visually appealing too, no one will really care that much...

Youre right about it being crowded, just thought of a way it coulb be more appealing but in the end its a matter of taste which is different from people to people.

Since it is so crowded there isnt really space to add some real BG thats why i suggested for vectoring the characters that would be also more appealing i belive.
Maybe my im not good in describing my Vision of the Wallpaper

Himither

Himither

H~I~H

Hi,
thx for the answers.

First, here's the latest version

http://www11.pic-upload.de/thumb/02.02.15/298pf1pzf2gw.jpg

Hmm, so generally spoken it's still not quite up to the quality standards yet. >.<

Changing the resolution would be easy, since I still have the extracted characters in their orginal resolution, but what resolution should I be using?
Is there like some recommended resolution those times or is there some kind of formula considering the size of the scans I'm using?
I always simply used my monitors resolution for wallpapers. xD

With a bigger resolution it would be possible to spread the characters out, that way it should look less overcrowded, I wouldn't have to worry about the the feets looking weird as much and could take out the two additional cats I added.
Taking out characters on the other side I can't, because the point of this is to have the whole art club assembled.

Vectoring the characters, even if it would take a hell lot of time, sounds good, but I lack the HowTo.
Is it even possible for someone with no notable drawing skills and no tablet?
If it is, and someone could point out a good tutorial I wouldn't mind trying it out.
And what's that vexel business? Any good tutorial on that?

Sorry, I know I could research that kinda stuff myself, but I rather would like people who already know HowTo point out tutorials they deem useful.
Not gonna deny that I'm lazy too, but you didn't read that because it's written small. xD

Regarding a background I'm still reading through the manga to find something useful, but it doesn't look to good.
On the other side there should be a lot of stuff in the anime I could use, but I guess I really need to know how to vector to use those goodies.

I also thought about using a Minimal Color Palette and color the characters hairs and/or use the characters respective hair colors to color the lines to make this more appealing.
But I guess rather than thinking I'll simply try it out, post the result and ask for your opinions.

Phew, ok I thing I said everything that came to mind. o_O
Way too much text again, sorry. xD

H~I~H

Signature

First the most common resolution would be 2560 x 1600 i think, thats what im using so that everyone with lesser resolution option can still using it on widescreen.

Vectoring wont tkake much time it depends on how much work you put into it, there are a lot of great Vectoring Tutorials on Deviant Art and there is no need for a Tabled or Drawning skills since vectoring is made mostly with the Tools you have in Photoshop.

About your wallpapers improvment i have to say that the assembly is better that way now but i doubt it would be accepted in MTs Gallery just extracting them and assemble them on blank BG. Vectoring would change a lot and will give you more options just try it out.

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Quote by ShimazakiFirst the most common resolution would be 2560 x 1600 i think, thats what im using so that everyone with lesser resolution option can still using it on widescreen.

Vectoring wont tkake much time it depends on how much work you put into it, there are a lot of great Vectoring Tutorials on Deviant Art and there is no need for a Tabled or Drawning skills since vectoring is made mostly with the Tools you have in Photoshop.

About your wallpapers improvment i have to say that the assembly is better that way now but i doubt it would be accepted in MTs Gallery just extracting them and assemble them on blank BG. Vectoring would change a lot and will give you more options just try it out.

I apologize in advance for the long reply.

Yes, some common resolutions these days would be 1920x1200 (16:10), 1920x1080 (16:9), 2560x1600 (16:10) or 2560x1440 (16:9). You can also make that super wide resolution for two monitors being used at the same time (I can't remember what it's called). I would definitely not go for anything 4:3 because such monitors aren't very common nowadays.

Now:
1. Vectoring is using various geometric shapes like lines, curves or points to make art. Vectors can be resized to any extent and will always keep their quality (they will stay clean and smooth and will not pixelate). This is hard to explain to someone who never vectored anything before. Example: fonts must be vectored. You can zoom your text in Word and the letters will always stay smooth. That's what vectors do.
2. Raster art is literally painting with brushes in a graphic software or taking photographs. Raster art consists of pixels (those little squares you can see when you zoom into an image). Any photo you'll ever take is raster art. And digital painting using brushes and textures is raster art, too. Basically anything that is formed by pixels is raster art.
3. Vexel is a combination of vectoring and raster art/using brushes. Vexel = vector + pixel.

Vectoring WILL take a lot of time if you've never done it before. In my opinion, vectoring is always more time-consuming than painting because you have to position the vector lines to get the curves and angles you want (which is much simpler while painting). Of course, the most common software for both vector and raster art is Photoshop. It is a program that contains both brushes and the Pen Tool used for vectoring. Other well-known programs for vector art would be Corel Draw or Illustrator.

Vectors are a great alternative for people who can't draw/paint or lack the equipment (a tablet) for digital painting.Yes, you can make vectors using only a mouse (painting with a mouse is practically impossible, on the other hand) but I repeat, it's not easy and it takes a lot of time. I have experience with both painting and vectoring so I can tell.

Quote by HimitherI also thought about using a Minimal Color Palette and color the characters hairs and/or use the characters respective hair colors to color the lines to make this more appealing.
But I guess rather than thinking I'll simply try it out, post the result and ask for your opinions.

I actually like the idea with minimal color palette. You could color certain parts of the characters only (hair, necktie, shirt, trousers, etc) with different colors. I think that would make the wall more interesting. Give it a try, yes. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

I'm gonna be absolutely blunt with you, and hopefully not come out as the biggest asshole ever.

Neither version would get accepted in the gallery on account of them being just collages with the bare minimum done.
Bare minimum was erasing the white background and crowding all the characters around on the canvas.
Crowded is not necessarily wrong, but the wall literally has nothing else going for it. Just some characters on an empty BG.

Vectoring an image of this scale should only be done when:
a) you are absolutely sure you want to pour half your life into it - because it WILL take ages if you value things like sleeping, eating and going to the loo;
b) you want to achieve a look and there really is no other way to do that aside from vectoring;
c) the image is of exceptionally poor quality;
d) you know what you're doing and don't mind your hair going gray in your twenties.
It is also a suicidal mission to take on a complex, crowded, black & white image if you've never vectored before. It WILL make you hate vectoring and life in general.

IMO vectoring is not necessary here since the scans are not of bad quality - just slightly grainy, which is normal when you scan paper. Add a very subtle crinkled paper texture in the background to keep it from looking too empty, if you want to. Really, vectoring is mainly another way to process an image - it can return some pretty impressive artistic results, but at the end of the day it's a technique like any other. And sometimes it's not the "right" technique to use - or it can be replaced by another that's much easier and less time consuming.
That's why I tend to furrow my brows whenever people default to vectoring. It doesn't solve all the image's problems and it certainly doesn't make it amazing by default.

Also, you should have no issue vectoring even if you don't know how to draw and don't have a tablet. My drawings are crap, I don't have a tablet and I'm doing just fine #EgoForMiles

Quote by elisadevelonpainting with a mouse is practically impossible, on the other hand

It's not, but it WILL make you want to throw various electronics out the window and slap your grandma.

Minimal Color Palette would be a good choice and fitting with the "crowd" feel (provided you don't use a billion colors, which would defeat the point of MCP anyway).
And I would really advise making the characters smaller. Having them take up the entire screen is most of why it comes off as crowded. Resize them to about 70% of their current size, place them in the middle and post the version here.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Not gonna say anything of what has been said.

A building like a house or school in the background would be nice (they need to take less space in general though). Twisting it a couple degrees will make something like this much more dynamic. It really misses it. With a building coming along, you could simply colour it pastel-like (no need for complex colouring, just basic), put some good textures on it, little lighting/effects, slap a sig on it and maybe add text, think of a title and it should be good to go.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

Himither

Himither

H~I~H

Hi, thx again for your answers.

After looking through the newer wallpapers for a bit I also noticed that 2560x1600 and 2560x1440 are probably the most common resolutions bigger resolutions than 1920x1080 being used, I really need to research stuff a bit more before asking. :P

I guess I'll go with 2560x1440, because it seems to me that 16:9 format is more commonly used than 16:10.
Super wide resolutions can wait till later, the thought of so much space to work with scares me. xD

The left side sure was totally overcrowded, placing Ooba in the center helped a lot. Glad to see that improvement wasn't just in my mind.

Thx for the informations on vectoring and vexeling.
The font example sure helped, no wonder Photoshop asks me to "raster" fonts on some of my older .psp that aren't installed on my computer.
Without the vector information inside the .ttf I need to turn the text into pixels, which won't stay allow for smooth resizing anymore.

If there's no need for tablet and any mentionable drawing skills, that sounds fine to me. I'll overcome the rest with guts.
Nah jokes, of course it won't be that easy for a newbie.
Well anyway, before I try my hands on vectoring, I'll simply try using the bigger resolution to my advantage and spread the characters more apart.

Regarding the background I'll keep on searching through the manga, something like the school building or the inside of the art club would be truly nice.
If there's nothing to be found there I might as well check some other manga/grayscale artworks that would fit.
Last choice will be vectoring something out of the anime, since you got me kinda scared of it pandemonium91. :P
May laziness immediately sensed danger. xxxD
On that note, no offense taken for being blunt. I already understood that this piece is not up to the standards yet, but reading it directly still helps.
Not even a tiny part of hope left for the lazy man inside. ;)

I'll definitely try out the Minimal Color Palette idea, since it seems like I'm not alone thinking that might be a good idea.
And a title huh?
Maybe Sketchbook: Color's, because with Minimal Color Palette it wouldn't be Full Color's anymore. o.O

H~I~H

Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

May I direct your attention to all the lovely scans we already have on MT? Try these:
Background Art + Houses
Background Art + City
Background Art + Roads / Scenic + Roads
Village + Scenic

Background Art is for images with no characters. Scenic is for images with characters, but with the background taking up at least 40% (and they're still usable as backgrounds if big enough).

Alternatively, if you don't want MCP, try playing with some gradients/color spots. Color Splash is also a nice effect, albeit more limited.

For vectoring, try Nysha's Ultimate Vectoring Guide. It's excellent for newbies as it also explains the background of vectoring and what each tool does.

Sorry for scaring you, but all that really did happen to me - taking on projects that were way out of my league at the time. I ended up abandoning them and being disappointed for wasting my time. So that's why I suggest working your way up from simpler images (like screencaps) until you get the hang of the tools and stuff like shading or reconstructing. After that it's pretty much automatic.

Spoiler (show)

Don't give up on being "lazy" yet: the MCP you are aiming for + textures + some text on the wall (if you want to) is the perfect way to be "lazy". Of course, compared to vectoring. But why do something that'll make you hate the image and feel like you're slaving away at it, when you could be working on something slightly different but which will look good in the end nonetheless?
It's up to you in the end. If you try out vectoring and like it and everything is going smoothly, more power to ya! (honestly!) Just know that vectoring isn't the only way to do things and in no way, shape or form are you "less" of an artist if you don't vector :)

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.