Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Graphic Tablets - Minitokyo

Graphic Tablets

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Hi, i dont know if it is the right section so if not and sorry in advance.

Im thinking about Buying a Graphic tablet, but im used to work with the mouse for years now so i hope to hear some pros and cons from people who are familiar with them especially from other Wallers/Artists.
I always Try to make my vectors better but seeing what can be done with a tablet via Airbrush on hair alone lets me think about if it would be a great choice for me buying one and try to use/Combine it with my actual skills.
Im not very good at drawing thing so it would be nice to hear about the things i can do with a tablet to make better vectors.

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

First of all, tablets are mainly for painting, not vectoring. The only way to use a tablet for "vectoring" is to use it like Nysha, but it isn't a vector anymore by then partial at best.

You can do quite a lot with a tablet. It is easier to create backgrounds for sure and sketch. There is also the possibility to make some adjusments and/or extend parts (can do it without a tablet, but most likely more difficult). Then you can also use it to "paint".

Surely, it will give more options and freedom to digital artwork, but if you don't have any skill or anything, a lot of potential remain unused.

I don't have a tablet myself, but the true pros are less time-taking, easier to create things yourself and you can paint. Everything also feels more natural similair to a pen once you get used to it (takes some practice to adjust).

They all say a good starter is a bamboo wacom tablet, since it is not so pricey and it does pretty much anything you need. For more advanced use, you can get an intuos which is quite a bit more expensive.

Still planning to get one...sometime. Maybe summer but new computer goes first.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

I was in the shop and i would have to save money for one more month to get a advanced one.

I hope to increase my Vectoring speed, Original Backgrounds and more detail in my works.
Im not very good at drawing but doing sketches with a pen on the Wallpapers BG would be sure useful, i tried to take a look at the Wallpapers here which were made via Tablet but dont know how to search specific for them (dont know if there is a Tag for it)

Since i need a tabled which isnt to small i have to go for advanced ones if i choose to buy one.

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Quote by Shimazaki Im thinking about buying a tabled and he praied your wallpapers which were made via tabled he said but i cant see a difference to the things i can make with the mouse so im in conflict about its worth.

PS: im sorry in advance if yopu feel offended by what i said in he SB i like your Wallpapers in skills but not all are my liking in motivte and scenary.

You don't have to apologize. I understand that not everyone likes my style.

ok, so the thing is that a graphic tablet is a great help especially for those who want to paint. It's extremely difficult to paint with a mouse and when you use the tablet pen it feels way more like you're actually drawing on a physical sheet of paper.

You are mainly a vector artist so I don't know if a tablet's really needed in your case. I would say you've mastered vectors already and if you do not intend to "paint" digitally, then your mouse is probably enough. What tablet could help you with, would probably be cutting down the time spent on creating art. It's simply easier to move around on the canvas in a graphic software with a tablet, and ever since I started using mine, my digital art takes considerably less time to finish.

If you are using some more sophisticated software like Photoshop, then once you get a tablet, it should detect that software and react with it. In my case, after I installed my Intuos, the brushes in my Photoshop changed. A lot of them are now pressure sensitive and some can even read the angle at which I hold the tablet pen.

Like Val has already stated above, tablet is perfect for more complicated backgrounds. It gives you a lot more freedom and possibilities than vectoring. You needn't vector every single line, for example. I guess you can imagine the difference. While you have to make even the otlines for a lineart with vectors, you could simply use a pressure sensitive brush to get the same effect. Of course that painting will never be as smooth as vectoring but I think that's the issue of the main/original purposes of vector and raster art. You can also use the pressure and angle sensitivity, which I mentioned above, or brushes with various opacity levels. Moreover, it's way easier to make both smudged and sharp shadows and create lighting effects. Those are some of the advantages.

Val is also correct about which tablet to get as a beginner. I, too, have heard a lot of people say to get the Bamboo tablet for the beginning. However, since I absolutely love visual arts, drawing and painting, I bought an Intuos 4. In regard to size, personally I have the size L(arge) so it was pretty expensive but a medium or even a small tablet can help you quite a bit if you're just learning and/or want to give it a try.

Quote by Shimazaki i tried to take a look at the Wallpapers here which were made via Tablet but dont know how to search specific for them (dont know if there is a Tag for it)

Unfortunatelly, there is nothing like that here on MT. You just have to search manually.

Thanks Elisa-chan, alone to know that it would decrease the amount of time i spend on walling a single wallpaper is enought also i want to work on making better detailes as in Hair, Lips and eyes but im just afraid that it would drag down my vectored parts my Lineart or my shading on greater sized areas.

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Here are some examples of (mostly) painted walls: effortless (super obviously painted, not very smooth but still beautiful), Her Solemn Hour (look at those fluffy clouds!), LOST IN DARKNESS (the shadows on her hair would prolly take ages to vector), Shh...this is my world! (THAT BACKGROUND! see the diversity, the details and that cool shading?), or Will the moon send my message? (the grass here would probably kill you if you tried to vector it)

And these are some artists who use vectors (and popped in my mind): Val (obviously), Aki, KiyanaIkebana, Deto or Cilou

So you can compare...

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

No need to use a search function, you've got an old geezer here. Giving some examples for Shimazaki of the Shoutbox quote.

Some of the old artists made a lot of wallpaper with tablets.

Meronheddo seems to use tablet sometimes as far as the recent people go. You can also ask Angi (xangel0)

Old "legendary" painter is Tsunoh, although the paintings are really nice, the drawing skills themselves may use some work, but all the walls show great potential.

Great examples for characters is part of hayashinomura's work. She tends to inkline her drawings, but sometimes paints aswell like her latest wallpaper.

Raffachan has a western art-style, but the control is pretty amazing imo.

Yina has some great works. I personally love her art, everything is about just right what she does. Very skilled.

Srsn, Selenna, Maplerose, Kuryuki, Felesya, aozoraskies, sjade1, luches, Yamionpu, chrisp all have some painted wallpapers varying to a few and vectored ones to almost or all painted.

Have fun searching.

One thing with tablets is that, if you don't know how to draw it will be quite a pain eventually, especially if you want to go original or change things. It requires quite a bit of skill. In that case, start drawing on paper so you don't get lazy spoiled with the tablet since lots of people draw with tablet and really...don't know how to. I still see misshaped drawings all over the place when you can SIMPLY make a skeleton layer, new layer with clothes and hair... Drawhacks.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

i see thanks, so in the end it would mostly just increase my speed which alone is enough, i also hope to be able making some originals too with a tablet.
I hear always that its more accurate to work with a tabled but when i work on lips i have to zoom that close that i work mostly on single pixels so can it be even more accurate.

PS: i use PS CS3

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Oh, and I also wanted to write that vectors are clearly a better choice for long lines that need to be smooth, for geometrical objects in the BG (like skyscrapers, tables, windows, etc.) and large areas that need to be filled with a simple color or gradient and there are no textures or patterns on them. Brushes/painting are better for short, overly curved lines (I can't imagine how I'd pull this off in one week if I was supposed to vector it) and for objects or areas that require a lot of small detailed parts.

merged: 02-27-2015 ~ 06:32pm

Quote by ValunaMeronheddo seems to use tablet sometimes as far as the recent people go. You can also ask Angi (xangel0)

Old "legendary" painter is Tsunoh, although the paintings are really nice, the drawing skills themselves may use some work, but all the walls show great potential.

Great examples for characters is part of hayashinomura's work. She tends to inkline her drawings, but sometimes paints aswell like her latest wallpaper.

Raffachan has a western art-style, but the control is pretty amazing imo.

Yina has some great works. I personally love her art, everything is about just right what she does. Very skilled.

Srsn, Selenna, Maplerose, Kuryuki, Felesya, aozoraskies, sjade1, luches, Yamionpu, chrisp all have some painted wallpapers varying to a few and vectored ones to almost or all painted.

Oh no, I forgot soooooo MANY xD

I imagined to work like that with a tablet.

First making Outlines with the tabled also the basic Color/shadow/light and make it like i always do but adding with the tablet more detail to hair,eyes and things like necklaces and such stuff even reflections which are very important to me.

Thanks for the Artists names, most of them are known to me but i think i wasnt aware that some of those wallpapers are made with tablet since they doesnt seem much different from what i can do.

elisadevelon

Retired Moderator

elisadevelon

The purple vamp

Quote by ShimazakiI imagined to work like that with a tablet.

First making Outlines with the tabled also the basic Color/shadow/light and make it like i always do but adding with the tablet more detail to hair,eyes and things like necklaces and such stuff even reflections which are very important to me.

Thanks for the Artists names, most of them are known to me but i think i wasnt aware that some of those wallpapers are made with tablet since they doesnt seem much different from what i can do.

Yep, that's a pretty good plan. So, now you have the information you need. The decision is up to you. Good luck with choosing and with future artwork! :D

Thanks for all the help you two it makes my decision much easier

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.