Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Quotes 3 - Minitokyo

This thread is closed for posting.

page 3 of 17 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 Next » 392 total items

"I would rather be beaten, and be a man, than to be elected and be a little puppy dog." - Davy Crockett

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?" ~ Mr. Blonde

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

"Once bitten twice shy." ~ Unknown Vampire

"I won't tell you it gets better because it doesn't. You do, or you DOR (drop on request)." - BUDS instructor, Hell Week

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ― Marilyn Monroe

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for." - Mark Twain

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

"True that." ~ UberDog

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man." - Mark Twain

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." ~ Confucius

"Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." - Mark Twain

The White House published a letter that Brent Brown, a Republican from Wisconsin, wrote to president Barack Obama in June.

Brown, who has voted Republican his entire life, wrote that he had been “very vocal” in his opposition to Obama—especially on healthcare.

That was before he got treatment for a serious autoimmune disease through the Affordable Care Act.

“I am so very sorry,” Brown writes. “Put simply to not take up too much of your time if you are in fact taking the time to read this: I would not be alive without access to care I received due to your law.”

Brown’s letter was released ahead of Obama’s appearance in Milwaukee today to recognize the city for signing up 89,000 people for health coverage through the ACA. The White House also published a more recent message from Brown. “Before the Affordable Care Act, I was unable to pay for an incredibly expensive drug that helps to stabilize my condition,” Brown wrote. Afterward, “I was finally able to receive the quality of care that had eluded me for years.”

Read Brown’s full letter to the president below:

To My President,

I sincerely hope that this reaches you, as far too often praise is hard to come by. Apologies to people who deserve it perhaps even less so.

I did not vote for you. Either time. I have voted Republican for the entirety of my life.

I proudly wore pins and planted banners displaying my Republican loyalty. I was very vocal in my opposition to you–particularly the ACA.

Before I briefly explain my story allow me to first say this: I am so very sorry. I understand written content cannot convey emotions very well–but my level of conviction has me in tears as I write this. I was so very wrong. So very very wrong.

You saved my life. I want that to sink into your ears and mind. My President, you saved my life, and I am eternally grateful.

I have a ‘pre-existing condition’ and so could never purchase health insurance. Only after the ACA came into being could I be covered. Put simply to not take up too much of your time if you are in fact taking the time to read this: I would not be alive without access to care I received due to your law.

So thank you from a dumb young man who thought he knew it all and who said things about you that he now regrets. Thank you for serving me even when I didn’t vote for you.

Thank you for being my President.

Honored to have lived under your leadership and guidance,

Brent Nathan Brown

This poor but honest Republican will be denied and vilified by his political party for this story. According to Republicans....medical care in the US is only available to the wealthy. During the first two years of President Obama's presidency he and the Democratic dominated Congress managed to produce the first significant health care legislation in American history. As the ONLY advanced nation in the world to deny millions of their people access to affordable health care....the US finally moved into the 21st century. The American people have paid for more than 60 attempts by the Republicans to repeal this legislation with apparent total disrgard for the millions who have gained health insurance under the ACA. Political posturing for Republicans is much more important than the welfare of the people of the United States.

Republicans want the poor to either die or be poisoned in the name of protecting the big insurance companies and the big health care companies, and I applaud this man for standing up and letting President Obama know that ACA has helped him live a longer life. The Republicans have robbed and tried to kill the American people long enough, and anyone with a brain knows it. I'm sure I'll get those short one-liners that insult me, but I can take it. Most of them will be misspelled anyway, so I dismiss them out of hand since they are from uneducated people who don't have a clue about what's really been going on. The sad thing about it is most of the Republicans hate President Obama because of his race, and they will find out in November how much race is going to figure into the equation of national politics. Keep up the good fight, President Obama. You've done a great job trying to make America work in spite of the Republicans trying to block you at every turn because of their innate greed.~ some honest journalist

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

Well since we are now posting massive long letters in the Quotes 3 thread I shall add my $.02.

And I post:
"
Very long letter :-/

Hello! I need someone to correct the following letter. IMO, it's very long. The reason it's so lengthy is I haven't emailed this girl for about a month and had a lot to tell her about. I'd really appreciate it if you would read and correct it.

Hey Aleksi,

I’m sorry for not emailing you for so long. I might have told you that I was doing exams in January and probably would be busy while preparing for them. I just can’t remember when I last emailed you. I guess it was a long time ago. I’m too lazy to work it out myself… As I can see from your letter, you are enjoying your holidays or you *were* enjoying your holidays.. ;) Are you going to school yet or are you still in Russia?

Have you visited Moscow? If you’ve been to Moscow, tell me what you were doing here! That would really be interesting! I have a lot to tell you about. But first of all, I’d like to comment on your letter.

There’s probably no point in suggesting anything interesting to do in Moscow now because you’ve already been here. There are plenty of interesting things to see in the capital of Russia. It depends what you’d like to see. Even though I know most of your hobbies it’s hard for me to make any suggestions about what you should see in Moscow. If you haven’t visited Moscow yet, just tell me, and I’ll try to think of as many great places to see as I can.

Glad to hear you’re keen on taking photos as well. I guess you have an expensive photo camera, yeah? I actually have two digital cameras. One costs about $400 and is very good. Since I’m no professional photographer I like this camera very much. I recently read a review of this camera on PC Magazine’s website and was surprised by the comments it received. They say that there’s quite a bit of noise in the photos taken by my camera. That’s odd ‘coz I can hardly see any noise at all. Maybe, compared to other cameras, my camera has pretty much noise but I’m quite satisfied with the quality of most of my photos. The other camera costs just about $150 but the big advantage of this camera is its size. It’s twice as small as the other one. You can quite easily put it in your pocket and be sure that you’ll be able to take a photo of anything you want.
Now, actually, I’ve got only one camera (for $150), ‘coz my Daddy dropped the expensive one while he was in Europe. Since I was used to taking photos with that camera it was hard for me to work with the other camera. My Daddy says that we’ll buy a new good (I mean fairly expensive) digital camera if this one can’t be mended. We’ll see.

I always take plenty of photos when traveling. I think it’s ok that some pics are rubbish because it’s impossible to take only great ones. Both my laptop and PC are cramped with photos as well. I’m planning on transferring them onto DVDs sometime. I’ve already burned about 6 CDs with photos but that was about a year ago and I’ve taken plenty more photos since then. I’ve worked out recently that I need to buy 2 (maybe 3) DVDs (4.7Gb each) to burn all my photos. I want to transfer them all onto discs because I’m afraid of losing them. If anything goes wrong with my HDD, I won’t be able to restore them.

I also get shitty when I’m distracted by someone who knows that I’m working. I couldn’t care less about your language because I too use swear words pretty often when hanging out with my friends. . I’ve been getting less and less privacy in my room lately. I’m very annoyed when someone enters my room when I’m listening to music with my headphones. I sometimes don’t even notice them enter the room and get frightened when they suddenly start speaking to me. On the other hand, I understand that I can’t do anything about it. I don’t really feel like forbidding coming into room when I’m in. My parents wouldn’t understand that! And they would be right!

As for contemporary art, I don’t think much of it. Don’t think badly of me. I’m not a fan of art, frankly. I like some pictures but they hardly ever make much impression on me

It’s time I said a few words about my exams. We did four exams. They’re Philosophy, Economics, Math, and Russian History. I got excellent grades for the first two, bad one for Math (Linear Algebra), and good one for Russian History. I was always good at Math in school but started devoting much less time to it in university, so the result of the exam is not so surprising as it may seem. Now I’ll have to do a resit sometime in February. I’m going to prepare properly for the resit and get a good or excellent grade. Hope I manage that!

I haven’t gone skating since something like Jan 10. The first exam was on Jan 9, so I had no time to play ice hockey at the time. What’s more, it was extremely cold in the Moscow region. It was about -28C for about a week. This is an anomaly for Moscow! That’s very cold. If it’d been warmer I’d probably have gone skating once but it’s very easy to get sick at such low temperature. The main reason that you can get sick quite easily is that you have to inhale a load of very cold air. You can get a serious sore throat by skating at such low temperature. Maybe, it’s good that it was so cold when I was doing exams because I was spending all my time studying. On the other hand, I felt that I needed to do a little physical exercise. Nevertheless, now that I’m having winter holidays I can skate as much as I want. My friends have done all of their exams as well, so we can all go skating now. The temperature’s quite good for hockey – about -5C.

What have you been doing since you last emailed me? I’m sure that your life’s been extremely interesting. Being an actress, pianist, artist, and singer (did I miss anything? J) is rarely boring. I liked English, Math, PE, History (though I only like Russian History starting from 1917), and IT when I was in school. Now that I go to university, I’ve included a few more subjects on the list of my favorites. These are Philosophy, Economics, and Swimming. What do you think of my favorites?

Having done the exams, we all felt like celebrating the end of the exams. Even though I failed Linear Algebra I still wanted to celebrate. Those were my first exams in university and they were very helpful. Now we all understand that we must work hard before exams, so exams will be easy to prepare for.
A friend of mine invited a few students from my group to his cottage in the Moscow area. We all agreed to go. The cottage’s about 17km away from Moscow, so he asked his driver to pick us up near the university and drive us to his cottage. This friend of mine’s very rich, so it’s small wonder that he has a personal driver and a very expensive car. He has a Range Rover that costs about $113.000! I’d never ridden on such an expensive car before! That was great. Once we got to his cottage, we were all amazed by its size and the place where it was located. The house’s located in the most prestigious place of the Moscow area. I’ve no idea how much it is to buy a house there. But I can say that it’s extremely expensive. There’s a sauna, small swimming pool, billiards, and lots of other awesome things in his house! I had a great time there! We all did. We drank Mexican beer “Corona” and Absent (have you ever heard of Absent? As far as I know, it’s illegal in the States) We did plenty more things in his house but writing about this will take me hours! It’s a pity that we spent only one day there! (we arrived closer to the evening and left at about 3pm the next day). We owe so much to Alex (that’s the guy’s name whose cottage we went to).
Well, I better be going now! Talk to you soon!
cheers,
Alex

Thanks for taking so much trouble to read and correct this letter!
"

"It's better to let sleeping dogs lie, unless the animal in question is particularly pernicious, then that is the ideal time dispatch it." - Hooyaah

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

"Keep it pithy." -Bill O'Reilly

clicky

clicky

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit, and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief." - William Shakespeare, Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 86–92

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

database error. -MT

BuBbLeS!

Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

"Pithy" ~ UberDog

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

None found. -MT

BuBbLeS!

Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

"Sometimes you just can't help a lost cause..." ~ UberDog

"It is far easier to forget if one first forgives." - Hooyaah

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

we all float down here. -PennyWise

BuBbLeS!

Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

"Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom." ~ UberDog

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

clicky

truth.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

page 3 of 17 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 Next » 392 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.