Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Should schools have uniforms? - Minitokyo

Should schools have uniforms?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

This issue has been discussed here for a while and I'm curious what you think about it. A politician is trying to get middle schools and high schools to adopt an obligatory dress code based on uniforms (students would have to buy them tailor-made), quoting "modesty reasons" for the girls. Currently there's no nation-wide code, some schools have uniforms and some don't.

Do/did you have uniforms while going to school? Do you think they are/were actually needed?
Would a dress code (everyone dresses according to certain specifications but buys their own, non-standard, clothes) be just as good, or is it something else entirely?

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

We had uniforms in school, it's compulsory here. Every school have their own dressing code. Most of time it's light colored shirt and dark pants/trousers. As for girls uniforms vary a lot from school to school. Some schools have skirt and shirt, and some have Salwar-kameez. In my school it was salwar-kameez.
There was a chapter in our social science textbook in 7th grade discussing why uniforms are compulsory in India, it's because to keep dress code uniform, so there'll be no social inequality among students. Like a poor boy and a rich boy, poor can't afford new clothes and wear different clothes everyday, while rich boy can. It may create snobishness in rich boy and an inferior complex in poor boy. That's pretty much it, and it's also for so called discipline. Even though no one wears school uniform properly here now, lol.
My school uniform was a complete failure, I mean colors were bad. And design wasn't good. And no skirts for girls, lol xD

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by Monu-chanThere was a chapter in our social science textbook in 7th grade discussing why uniforms are compulsory in India, it's because to keep dress code uniform, so there'll be no social inequality among students. Like a poor boy and a rich boy, poor can't afford new clothes and wear different clothes everyday, while rich boy can.

This is a very important aspect. Aside from decency, it also encourages bridging the gap between levels of wealth.
If a school had a dress code instead of a standard uniform - for example, white top + black bottom, buy your own clothes - it would encourage students to be more diverse with their clothing while at the same time keeping a similar overall look.

Heh, my middle school adopted uniforms when I was in my final year; there was no point in having 8th graders have uniforms made only to wear them for a few months. My high school tried to initiate talks of a uniform, but it didn't really get very far because students dressed decently and there wasn't too much of an emphasis on showing off.

I looked up salwar-kameez and they're really pretty! Western school uniforms tend to be black/white/gray + one color, so not much diversity.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I think all schools should be forced to do the uniform thing, people have to buy clothes for school anyways, a few uniforms of the same color, style, etc is just what is needed. that way people won't start fights over material things, and people won't be shamed over the same reason. some schools in my area have already begun the uniform thing, they are affordable and violence has dropped, same with bulling over things. it's worked for quite awhile in private schools, so why not in public? the only way to get a handle on the out of control is to throw more control into the chaos.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

That's a good point, it would help those who wouldn't be able to afford to dress...lavishly, for lack of a better term. Maybe the school would even have a fund for those who couldn't afford uniforms! Do the schools in your area have different uniforms, or is it an universal one?

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

they tend to be universal, most times it's the school colors, like blue and orange for example, not the dull grey, black or even white. but bright and cheerful colors to an extent. just the same setting, the option of a "modest" skirt for the girls or pants and pants for the boys, with belts of course. also keeps "that" situation down as well.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Omg I forgot to reply this thread! :o
As for dressing code instead of a specific uniform, it's in some colleges here. It would be good but it's definitely boring if you have a white top/shirt/tshirt and grey skirt/trousers/jeans etc as dressing code, imo. So uniform is better but for Chris' sake let a designer choose the appropriate design of uniform than picking random design by school head >.>

Almost every school have different uniforms here (some might have same or alike because there's a lot of private schools) But uniforms here must have school logo embroidered on it. Also they have different color/design of necktie. Ahh another funny thing boys under 10 grade can't have funky hairstyle or color their hair. Same for girls they have to keep their hair tied in a ponytail or braids. In senior years rules become flexible though.

And Pande, Salwar kameez in school uniform isn't pretty like those casual salwar kameez. xD

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.