Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Some Wallpaper help - Minitokyo

Some Wallpaper help

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

OK, So I am having creators block if you can call it that. I am trying to think of a good wall idea. and most of you know I do a lot of abstract designs. I am trying to get out of that design style. I have tried designing my own background but it was removed fro MT for some odd reason. But I am not sure the best way to go. I don't know if I should just stick to the abstract aspect because I feel comfortable doing these types of wallpapers. or should I start using more than one image on my walls?

Its has been almost 6 years since I have designed a wall I know it is like a bike you never forget how to ride one. but I want to get away from the abstract if I can.

anti-spammers | photoshop-lovers

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Well, I guess that also depends on the level of your skills. Nowadays, a lot of people vector their wallpapers. Some people paint, some people combine vectoring and painting, some dab in typography, some vexel and some just use all of the above. I think it's good to challenge yourself because that way, you can develop and grow as an artist way better than just sticking to what you're used to.

Have you tried any of the styles above?

Signature

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

I have never done a vector. and I don't paint I don't have the pen pad or anything.

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Vectoring can be easily done with a mouse. Painting...yeah, it's not impossible but having a tablet definitely helps. One of our wallers, Nysha has made a pretty awesome Vectoring guide so you can check it out if you want.

Vectoring images is definitely useful if you want to increase the quality of an otherwise grainy/blurry scan or are just going for that crisp and clean feel of the wall. I personally like to combine vectoring and painting - vectoring for outlining and painting for coloring everything. Give it a try, I guess. Pen Tool can be a bit tricky and annoying if you've never worked with it before but once you get the hang of it, it becomes one of the most valuable tools. That is, if you use Photoshop. Not sure how other programs like GIMP work. I know Inkscape is a good vectoring program and as far as I know, it's free.

Signature

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

Well having photoshop isn't a problem seeing as I am currently going to schoil for Web design. And have the CS6 Master Collection lol. I think I might be asking for more help even though i am not new to walling i think it might be time to start a new path.

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Well, feel free to ask for advice. Can't guarantee I'll always reply promptly since work tends to be demanding sometimes but I'll try to reply ASAP. Other members/wallers can also help you with tips.

Signature

jakuro

jakuro

殁 4 LIFE

Its hard to branch into the scenic route, really, it just takes a lot of time and practice. By no means will you get it right the first 10-20 times. Eventually something will just work. You don't necessarily have to paint to achieve that, either.

I took up vectoring not long after i started walling here because the results are cleaner. It was hard to start, but along the way, i figured out how to correct pixellation issues by working with very LARGE lineart in PS or preferably illustrator. When you shrink the lineart and coloring down it makes for almost no pixellation on your lines <3 If you compare my early vectors (which are now mostly changed to indy-art) you can see the progress. So, point being, you will need a good computer with a nice processor and RAM to work with the large resolutions.

Vectoring is all about cleaning up an image that otherwise wouldn't be usable for a wallpaper/design

feel free to take your own approach to it, also, freshness in this field is great - don't want just another vectorer. kiyanaikebana is a great example of someone that has their own take on the look of vectoring.

Start with a focal character that looks natural in the environment you imagine. Maybe they're on a windowsill, maybe they're in a field of flowers, maybe they're floating on a plane of alternate existence. regardless, imagine different scenes based around the position and flow of your character - and dont be afraid to change things like... adding your own motion to the hair and clothing. Vectoring makes lines so easy to draw that you can edit just about anything you want to change on an image. No drawing pad required. You can also try vectoring an already-scenic image, or take a scene from the SAME series and apply it to an alternate scan. Combining images isn't cheating if its by the same mangaka :)
Being able to use the character to imagine a scene that fits them, or begin to search for a background image to vector that suits them... helps me. Not sure if what I mean will translate though :P

Not sure if that helps at all ^^ practice makes perfect, post what you work on here, even if you think its minimal or silly, progress isn't made fun of here :P

Signature
::wake up in a dying world looking like the antidote::

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

As my style is Vector+Painting. I can help you out in that area.
As Alenas already said handling pen tool can be tricky and annoying but that's the thing that'll give you patience like Lord Buddha once you've overcome that step of handling pentool. Rest is easier, well it's adventure after that. You can do miracles with vectoring and changing whatever you want, edit whenever you feel like. A thing that painting can hardly provide (it's different that some prefer to make each layer for each painting stroke, which I guess is tooo much).

You can make Abstract BG just nicely with pentool, shapes, patterns and different color overlays, it's all about exploring. Vectoring a scenic can sure give you pain, but do know, you can always combine vector and painting by Vector masks painting, Nysha has shown that very nicely in her tutorial.
Pande paints awesome with her mouse and freeform pentool combined. So it's not impossible to paint with mouse.
Also one can't make "oh so hell awesome!" vector in first try, my first vector was literally crappy in terms of how clean a "vector" should look. Like everything it also needs practice and patience. But believe me result worth the effort and patience.

Feel free to post any experiment, we're always here to provide help and constructive criticism. ;3

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.