Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How to edit scans - Minitokyo

How to edit scans

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Not sure if this is the correct place for my issue so I apologize in advance if it belongs somewhere else.

I've been searching on the internet for hours on how to edit scans so they look as good as those monthly magazine illustrations (Newtype, Animedia etc.) that get posted here, but no results.
That's why I wanted ask if anyone has a good tutorial that teaches me those editing skills or at least the basic steps one has to go through (yes, I have Photoshop). You know how the saying goes: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Put shortly: I'd like to contribute high-quality scans as well but don't know how to edit them like that.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could show me the right direction.

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

You can always leave a message to previous scan moderators like Pinyan and Anther. The thing is that, you really have you to wait for their reply as they seem to be not that active nowadays. I am sure they are the best people that can assist you. :)

" A mind full of bitter memories , a past drenched in sadness and watered with my tears,
A heart nurtured by the littlest spark of hope, a present fed by the wildest dreams,
A body scarred by the savage adversities, a future that holds the greatest uncertainties,
These are the deepest parts of my blue soul, armored and shielded by an indestructible fortress. " Signature

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Super Moderator Lady Pande can help you asap. Leave her message: http://pandemonium91.minitokyo.net/
Or she'll come here once she notice this thread.

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

Thanks for the tips but looks like I didn't manage to get concrete help yet.

Then I'll ask something more specific:
What's the best way to remove these fold lines on posters?
How do I remove the "dust" on the scan and make the surface look smooth?

http://i.imgur.com/Du0o6Dz.jpg

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/removing-dust-scratches-photoshop

http://photoshop911.typepad.com/help/2004/05/removing_crease.html
This may help you, remember to work on high zoom so only affected area have changes. After that you can PM Dokidokichan for confirmation that fixing those problems didn't ruined scan quality.
I hope it helps ;3

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

Thank you a lot!

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

HI! For removing creases, I honestly recommend the stamp tool. You press ALT, move the cursor over the area you want to clone, click, then release ALT and start painting over the area you want to replace. You can do the same with random specks of dust.

If you have screentones to fix (for example, remove text from a manga scan), the stamp tool is unfortunately not that easy to use, as you have to be precise to avoid it looking bad. In that case, I usually select an area on the scan, copy it, then paste it over the area I want to replace and smooth out the edges so it blends in seamlessly.

For cleaning scans (getting rid of the texture), you can try playing around with blur filters. Always pick a low setting, or the quality of the overall scan will suffer (it will turn out too blurry). Surface Blur or Box Blur usually do a good job and prevent the image from looking too soft. Anyway, I recommend duplicating your base image, blurring the duplicate layer (a value/radius of 1-2 should suffice) and setting its fill or opacity to 20-40% (of course, adjust on a case-by-case basis). You can also change the blending mode of this duplicate layer to something like Soft Light or Linear Burn, if the blur is too strong; you may need to lower the opacity/fill even more, though, depending on how it affects the colors/contrast.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

I scanned a page from a book this time and the paper texture is so annoying/obvious. I tried out several blurs that got suggested here and even scanned it again at an 180 degrees angle to remove the texture like I saw in a tutorial but no avail.

How do I make these lines and dots disappear so the texture looks smooth and uniform?
http://i.imgur.com/9AAK4sy.jpg

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

I'm afraid there's not much you can do this, aside from checking if your scanner oversharpens images when scanning/saving them, or trying to scan at a lower DPI. Alternatively, you can try Neat Image for Photoshop, on a copy of the scan layer, then setting the duplicate layer to a lower opacity.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.