Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Japanese Lovers Discussion Zone - Minitokyo

Japanese Lovers Discussion Zone

Group announcement by JapaneseLover

What do you call animation from Japan?

Cartoons
1 votes
Animation
1 votes
Anime
11 votes
non-anime
0 votes
other
0 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

apparently this is a very touche topic on this site, and I don't know why, but the c word (cartoon) is more offensive than the other c word. regardless, recent events have brought about this post to all of my fellow Japanese lovers out there. so, in a nut shell, Japan calls everything animated, either as animated, animation or cartoons, it's the western world, outside of Japan, that took it upon themselves to call it anime, meaning animation from Japan. now, with that stated, on this site we have something called non-anime, it's a tag Non-Anime referring to all material that is not from Japan, so it reads:

Tagged under Source Materials.

A collection of tags, gathering characters and series that are not (co-)managed by Asian studios.
The series/characters listed here MUST:
- have an Asian component in their franchises (e.g. the character Wolverine also appears in an anime series produced by the Japanese studio Madhouse)
OR
- have anime-styled artwork submitted to Minitokyo (e.g. Elsa from the animated Disney movie "Frozen").

We do not accept tags for characters/series that to do not fulfill either one or both of the conditions listed above.
It is preferable to create series tags rather than character tags, especially for series with few submissions.

Also see: Disney Characters.

with that stated Miraculous Ladybug (Miraculous Ladybug ), as I'm picking that as random because when I saw it appear it is a French cgi whereas it isn't traditional animation but rather cgi, but it's listed as non-anime, there's also Disney. not to mention the newest Canada/American animation (cartoon) called Castlevania which just appeared on netflix, even netflix themselves is calling it anime. is it because it has that similar art style? thus, when the art style fits therefor that makes it anime and not animation? what if Disney, then wouldn't that be anime from America or are they cartoons? or what of Korea animation, China animation so is this anime or cartoons? in retrospect, a lot of people who watch animation in Japan are children, when you reach adulthood and still watching it you have become an official outcast. in Japan the parents/guardians will bully their children if they catch them watching animation, playing video games or engaging in anything else which might interfere with their studies.

now, the point behind this post, when does it become anime, because of the art style or because of location? and what do you call it, this is a hostile free zone, you will not be attacked because you call it anime, cartoons, animation and the likes, just trying to pull a poll from the group on your stance on the whole thing. I see no big deal myself, but some people are different. this is a hostile free zone, there will be no personal attacks to one or another, this is a polite conversation and discussion situation for the group Japanese Lovers, so that we can gather our minds and discuss cultures, even those who reside in other cultures because I know this is a world wide site, not just a site from America even though this site we type in English. so, please, gather around and let's have an idle conversation regarding something that has been in existence since the late 1800s.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

I personally call it anime if its animation from japan, and will sometimes refer to anime style american animation as anime- like RWBY for example.
reasoning being that anime is short for japanimation- of course people in japan will refer to it as just cartoons or animation- it's from their own homeland and it's not foreign, but here in america it is and it has a distinct style and set of tropes that earns it a right to have it's own label.

In other words japanese animation and american animation behave differently enough that they are distinguishable and can have different names. Both being different because they come from two different cultures.
So what makes it anime? In my opinion I kinda want to say it's a list of different factors such as art style, the story telling style, and the tropes it involves. I do want to say it's also where it's from but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

I'm gon' be straight with yall. I ain't coming back here.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

when you join JapaneseLover Ash ;) but thanks for the input all the same

BuBbLeS!

Signature

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

I thought i did?

merged: 08-02-2017 ~ 08:16pm
//ok now i did. Could have sworn i was already a member

I'm gon' be straight with yall. I ain't coming back here.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

don't fret that happens, could have had a derp moment where you accidentally clicked here or there. I've done it in the past myself, so welcome officially :D

BuBbLeS!

Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

Anime is a REGIONAL TERM for animation that is produced IN JAPAN. Any other animation from any other place on this planet or Universe for that matter is IN FACT just animation. Personally I consider any hand drawn cells or CGI to be just animation.

So for all those who have been using the wrong nomenclature(and you all know who you are) when discussing any other animation that is not from Japan....
FOR THE SANITY OF US ALL PLEASE STOP calling it anime !

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

well put pup, thanks for stopping by and providing your helpful insight into the topic at hand, greatly appreciated.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

kuro115b

kuro115b

Hello...It's been a long time?

Most of my friends here called anime as "Cartoons" and I hate it that they don't understand anything!
I correct them most of the time...and they keep repeating the same mistake T.T

Signature
Hi nyann~

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

you shouldn't waste your time correcting your friends, perhaps they are doing this just to anger you, they don't know any better or they prefer to call them because they are animation of some sort. I know a lot of people that once they learn something that upsets/angers you, that they will gladly repeat it because they enjoy the reaction. there are a lot of dark souls in this world, but otherwise continue to enjoy your animation viewing fun that's what matters most in my opinion. thanks for the input kuro.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

I guess why we call Japanese animation as anime is because it's human nature to categorize things for better understanding. (See we have tag systems. We have so many tags with Hair/eye colors, why not just call them hair or eye instead of Red hair, pink hair, black hair/eye etc) It just make things more specific. And calling anime is easier than Japanese animation. For obvious typing or speaking efforts, we all know we love to make shortnames of any word.

What makes it different from animation of other countries?
It is obviously artstyle but not only that. Anime (mostly) have semi realistic features in art, with abstract body figures (those eyes, chin and gravity defying hair). All is imaginary feels more "real". While western cartoons (not all) use "exaggeration" to make things more fun/interesting.
Also it is people's lack of knowledge to call American (or animation of any other country) with Japanese animation-like artstyle as Anime. (Taking example of Avatar and Korra).

And because of some psychological reasons people don't like to call Anime as cartoons. Because cartoons (mostly) are targeted towards kids or for fun in general. (ofc we have some heavy plotted animations too that adults watch) While many anime are targeted towards teens and young adults. So for some it's like "I'm watching this cartoon and man I'd watch it all day" will make them a kid while saying "I'm watching this anime and man I'd watch it all day" will make them lesser kid (maybe more towards geek or nerd).

So all in all I prefer to call a Polar bear, a polar bear than just a bear. Similarly I prefer to call it Anime than animation or cartoon.

(I hope I'm making any sense, I'm sleep deprived)

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

quite true, society enjoys creating shorthand of anything, look at the whole rave of chat speak we once went through, not certain if we still do, but now the newest rave is emoji, which is even further shorthand. there are also kid friendly animation from Japan, but it is true, some like to grow up faster than they really should and they get ahead of themselves wanting to adventure into adulthood, and there are just too many "psychological issues" and in my personal opinion. people shouldn't get upset regardless of what it's called, and just simply enjoy what we like to enjoy. that way when people do travel to Japan or even other countries that when they see "cartoon" they won't get too upset and be like that's their way of life/culture sort of thing. people shouldn't get upset over such trivial things, we should be more concerned about the uncertainty of the world than what someone calls something even if we do or don't agree with it.

but thanks for stopping by and providing your input on the topic at hand.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

I really really really REALLY hope more MT members will post in this thread. I really do.

dchoggia14

dchoggia14

Gumi x Len

mmm, mostly i called anime series as cartoon and anime movie just movie. i called anime cartoon maybe because i watched its from my childhood and everybody called doraemon, mojacko, kobo chan ect as cartoon, even more mature series like ruroin kenshi also called cartoon. that maybe because mostly onnly child or teenager that watched them. before there was no different term between anime and disney cartoons or loony toons or tom jerry or other western origins animation. both were called cartoon. so personally i keep calling amime as cartoon until now, merely because that how my childhood was.

i dont think anything wrong with calling anime cartoon but of course i respect other arguments thay want to seperate term usage between anime and cartoons or other country animation. so i never argue if i met person that prefer call anime as anime. we always end up disscusing our favorite anime instead debating what we should call its.

btw sorry if my grammar so messy, now is 2 am and got stomachache. so i not really pay attention to grammar

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I had no problem reading any of that and thank you for your insightful comment dc, I totally agree, who cares what it's called, what's really important is enjoying it, discussing and possibly enlightening more people into watching something new and/or interesting that they probably didn't know about.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

So so so soooooo glad to see other members posting their opinions on this subject in this thread. *Hugs for every one of you*

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.