The Death Note (2017) Movie

Tagged under Death Note

page 1 of 1 14 total items

HatedAngel

HatedAngel

《Queen Of The Void》

Cancel

Making this thread since I just saw the new Death Note netflix original and wanted to see what MT thought about it.

Personally I think that if they wanted the movie to be different from the series they should have just went all the way and made it its own story that just happened to be in the same reality as the series. Instead of trying to make it a parody by keeping the characters name similar and alluding to the original.

Spoiler (show)

Also can I just talk about how this version of Light's first kill was DECAPITATION? Like dude.... you just got this notebook of death that can kill however you want and you're not even sure it works. The default kill method being a heart attack. Does he just make sure it works by going with the default? No he had to specify decapitation. What the heck is wrong with this kid.

My hobbies include penguins, bad jokes, and long walks to the fridge.
Signature
	Image "I am the Outsider, and this is my mark"

elisadevelon

elisadevelon

Requiescat in pace

Cancel

Quote by HatedAngelWhat the heck is wrong with this kid.

http://orig09.deviantart.net/02be/f/2012/217/c/8/light_yagami_demotivational_by_redeyedsquirrel-d59wn69.jpg

But even though you don't like the movie, it sounds interesting. I'll need to watch it.

Hakaru

Moderator, Tagger, Scanner

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

Cancel

That's probably one of the reason why Light was older in the japanese live action.
The diehard fans are not going to like netflix version, as the three main characters doesn't even look like their manga counterpart.

Signature
	Image Darkness Becomes Light, Light Falls Into Darkness.

HatedAngel

HatedAngel

《Queen Of The Void》

Cancel

Ok granted the original Light was messed up enough to become a serial killer but atleast he tried it out with the default heart attack without going above and beyond.

Quote by HakaruThe diehard fans are not going to like netflix version, as the three main characters doesn't even look like their manga counterpart.

That's sort of the thing that baffles me most is they decided to take a route that would have no doubt not made the fans happy. The fans are the largest piece of your target audience, don't do things that would annoy them or thats just bad business.
If they just made a movie in the same Death Note universe but with a different cast they may have been just peachy. I dont know- would that be watch-worthy?

Signature

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

Cancel

Quote by HatedAngelThat's sort of the thing that baffles me most is they decided to take a route that would have no doubt not made the fans happy. The fans are the largest piece of your target audience, don't do things that would annoy them or thats just bad business.
If they just made a movie in the same Death Note universe but with a different cast they may have been just peachy. I dont know- would that be watch-worthy?

there's mixed reaction for the japanese fans as well→ http://youtu.be/ZU8Ingn8w24
I don't felt watching the full movie either, the demographic was changed but some of the japanese names/terms were retained.

Is it really necessary to have an americanize version of death note? We already have four japanese live-action movies which were all released in theaters worldwide, one japanese television drama, and one korean musical.

Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Lazy af

Cancel

Quote by HakaruIs it really necessary to have an americanize version of death note? We already have four japanese live-action movies which were all released in theaters worldwide, one japanese television drama, and one korean musical.

Well, studios aren't going to care about small things like "respect for the fandom" or "faithful adaptations" as long as there's money to be made.

I hope to be able to see it tomorrow or Monday. Gotta get some popcorn and alcohol. Right now the only thing that's keeping me interested is Willem Dafoe - anyone who's seen this care to weigh in on how his parts are?

Want to help out with tagging? (Of course you do!) See these: Tag admin thread | Guidelines | Tag-licious

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

Cancel

well they had to do some differences, should have stated spoiler alert there regarding decapitation by the way. but, I liked the movie, probably one of the few who did I suppose. I giggled when I heard Light's high pitched scream that was funny and I found they did rather well with Ryuk, so, after that I didn't care. it ran along better with the live action Japanese version (film and series) than the animated version. I liked the fact of the changes, such as L and to show that L was human too. I also liked his back story and the extra rules the death note had.

it's your typical teenage American movie drummed out from hollywood linked to netflix, you're going to find the weak, emo teenagers that need their tiaras once they don't get their way, having daddy issues and a whole host of other pointless teenage drama. sure they should have gone with a stronger image for Light and Mia, but, goodness, we can reflect bad acting and camera placement on the director as well. it could have turned out much better, but it wasn't like Dragon Ball Evolution. I always see every American version of something from somewhere else as Dragon Ball Evolution, when it turns out good, then it's not a total loss.

for those who haven't seen Dragon Ball Evolution, please do so, in the future, do like I do, and you will be able to state it wasn't that bad and could have been a heck of a lot worse. DBE is the don't of hollywood Japan to American film regarding Japanimation by the way.

Spoiler (show)

on a Lighter note (there's a pun in there somewhere I'm sure): at least he didn't take a potato chip and eat it :P

Undertaker:Kuroshitsuji: How sad it would be, should laughter disappear.

Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Lazy af

Cancel

DBE isn't really on my list as I have zero emotional attachment to any DB series, but I may see it eventually just to see how much of a trainwreck it is. Now the Last Airbender movie...that one is rumored to be so bad that people willingly develop selective amnesia to deal with the trauma of having seen it. And considering Penis Hair Lady here (SFW?), I'm inclined to agree, lol.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing Death Note! It'll probably be OKish if I don't get my hopes up too much.

Edit: the lack of the potato chip consumption scene makes me doubt the meme potential of the US version.

Want to help out with tagging? (Of course you do!) See these: Tag admin thread | Guidelines | Tag-licious

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

Cancel

there are many death note Japan related stuff out there, the live action Drama series are decent in length, the first being around 71 minutes, then the others less than an hour. recently streamed it over on crunchyroll. there's also several movies including new movies that was a spinoff released to the live action series. then there's the Japanimation version, that also has an abridged version, cheaper, runs in two movies which leaves out the remotely dull and pointless stuff. seen both versions, animated series and abridged, there's really no difference between the two. you are capable of streaming the animation series over on Anime Planet, both the subbed and the dubbed version.

Undertaker:Kuroshitsuji: How sad it would be, should laughter disappear.

Signature

HatedAngel

HatedAngel

《Queen Of The Void》

Cancel

Quote by pandemonium91

Quote by HakaruIs it really necessary to have an americanize version of death note? We already have four japanese live-action movies which were all released in theaters worldwide, one japanese television drama, and one korean musical.

Well, studios aren't going to care about small things like "respect for the fandom" or "faithful adaptations" as long as there's money to be made.

I hope to be able to see it tomorrow or Monday. Gotta get some popcorn and alcohol. Right now the only thing that's keeping me interested is Willem Dafoe - anyone who's seen this care to weigh in on how his parts are?

That's actually one of the problems with adapting from other mediums is that they usually don't respect the fandom. It proabably would have made a better movie if they did - or if they atleast considered what made the original Death Note work and didn't throw all that away.

Willem Dafoe did a good job as Ryuk, it was one of the upsides to the entire movie. They did change a bit of his character from comic relief to evil mastermind. Then again maybe thats just how Ryuk would react to a guy like Light Turner. I mean the guy wasn't nearly as smart as Light Yagami and was obviously not as entertaining so maybe thats how Ryuk got by was just messing with the guy.

Quote by angelxxuan
should have stated spoiler alert there regarding decapitation by the way.

oops I didn't consider that. I'll edit that in now. Then again its not a gigantic spoiler but I'll put it in regardless

Also yes I too agree that they really should have included the potato chip scene. That's the real crime committed here.

Signature

MisaSasekage

MisaSasekage

War Queen

Cancel

I think L, Misa & Light acted too OOC. Mainly L & Light who were both wayyy too over emotional. (That scene when Light met Ryuk had me laughing so hard XD) Tbh, I think maybe this being a tv series would've been better.

Will I ever be able to escape this eternal living Hell, this endless cycle of being used, hurt and betrayed…? After all others had hated and abandoned me, he was the first to ever view me with only love and kindness in his eyes... He sees me for what I truly am... I love and will never abandon him... Our hearts will shine together... And break through the darkness and discord that is Eternity...

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

Cancel

How are they supposed to introduce the story of the second arc when Misa and Watari has been killed off? The rewritten script and character development sucks. The least they could do is to fellow Light's original hairstyle, there's nothing wrong with his hairstyle it couldn be use for americans as well. netflix gets 10/10 for ruining death note, and they also have the worse fashion sense.

Signature

HatedAngel

HatedAngel

《Queen Of The Void》

Cancel

Honestly yeah making it a TV series would have improved it a little bit.
I have some doubts well even get the second arc with Near and Mellow, the first movie just din't do well enough. Buuut I've been suprised before.

Also heCK YES THE FASHION SENSE WAS BAD. Where was Misa's gothic fashion sense D: wheres ma gothic Misa

Signature

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

Cancel

The CGI is really bad as well, netflix should have leave everything to hollywood. They also dropped the cat chases mice, shinigami eyes from the source material. lol, Turner gets fuck out by Ryuk, and he screams like a girl xD

Quote by HatedAngelWhere was Misa's gothic fashion sense D: wheres ma gothic Misa

Maybe it would be better if Mia Sutton was played by Margot Robbie, I think she fits the role.

Signature

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.