Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The Death Note (2017) Movie - Minitokyo

The Death Note (2017) Movie

Tagged under Death Note

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 36 total items

Hakaru

Moderator, Tagger, Scanner

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

Quote by HatedAngelThey got every bodies ethnicity wrong. L is supposedly british/Japanese (if I remember right) Watari is British, and everybody else is japanese. Instead they took the one canon white guy- made him a token Japanese character, took a British/ Japanese man and made him black, then made every single Japanese character white. Nobody looks like they should. What really annoys me is how they explicitly in the casting call said they didn't want Light played by an asian actor.
Like? Asian- more specifically Japanese people- exist in america? America isn't that white of a country to where an american death note has to be a mostly white cast? Why ? Why is this a thing?

Is it because some asian actors can't pronounce proper american english? china dubbed the voice of another countries chinese actors just because they sounds different to the china people.
even the fans could think of which american actor is more suitable to play the role, the casting was big mistake from the very beginning.

Don't assume your dreams are just fantasy.
If you can imagine a world, believe in it...and dive in.
Signature Image

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

Quote by Hakaru

Quote by HatedAngelThey got every bodies ethnicity wrong. L is supposedly british/Japanese (if I remember right) Watari is British, and everybody else is japanese. Instead they took the one canon white guy- made him a token Japanese character, took a British/ Japanese man and made him black, then made every single Japanese character white. Nobody looks like they should. What really annoys me is how they explicitly in the casting call said they didn't want Light played by an asian actor.
Like? Asian- more specifically Japanese people- exist in america? America isn't that white of a country to where an american death note has to be a mostly white cast? Why ? Why is this a thing?

Is it because some asian actors can't pronounce american english properly? china dubbed the voice of another countries's chinese actors just because they sounds different to the china people.

I'm talking Japanese Americans. People of Japanese descent who grew up in america - or came here and speak the language well (I mean they do teach English in japan).
America is a giant mixing pot of cultures you can find anybody here for any role. Finding an actor of a certain ethnicity/ appearance that can act and speak English isn't an issue at all. They just don't want to since they're still going off of old (and racist) information that non white films don't sell well, so it keeps resorting to hiring white actors for roles that are not white (IE; heres a list of movies guilty of this courtesy of Wikipedia if you were curious ) Even though most of these major offenders actually keep bombing the box office but they never seem to learn.

I'm gon' be straight with yall. I ain't coming back here.

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

Quote by HatedAngelI'm talking Japanese Americans. People of Japanese descent who grew up in america - or came here and speak the language well (I mean they do teach English in japan).
America is a giant mixing pot of cultures you can find anybody here for any role. Finding an actor of a certain ethnicity/ appearance that can act and speak English isn't an issue at all. They just don't want to since they're still going off of old (and racist) information that non white films don't sell well, so it keeps resorting to hiring white actors for roles that are not white (IE; heres a list of movies guilty of this courtesy of Wikipedia if you were curious ) Even though most of these major offenders actually keep bombing the box office but they never seem to learn.

That's explains why that's way we see some hollywood movies only includes one asian and one black. All they get is an elderly male japanese actor to play role of Daisuke Aramaki in GITS.

If they really have plans to produce a sequel, i think it be better to change the current screenwriters. First they transferred the qualities originally meant for Light to Mia, then they decided to made Light cowardly. i'm not buying this trashy rewrite.

Signature Image

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Quote by HakaruAnother worst offender; Some fans questioned why L is being played by a black, it doesn't matched any possible ethnicity of L mentioned by Obata in the dn13 guidebook. Making Ryuk the only shinigami that appeared the movie is also ridiculous, because the maximum of 6 notebooks can be coexist in human world at the same time.

I actually though L's actor was the best, second to Willem Dafoe (Ryuk). He got a lot of L's mannerisms right for the first two thirds of the movie. And, considering the homogeneity of Japan's population and the diversity of the US one, having a black actor play a part sounds reasonable from a demographic point of view. Movie!Watari being Japanese makes sense.

Quote by HatedAngelWhat really annoys me is how they explicitly in the casting call said they didn't want Light played by an asian actor.

While I don't want to get into social justice matters, it does make sense to have the main character be white, since the majority of Americans are white. Can you imagine the outrage if Light — arguably an antihero at best and villain at worst — were played by a black actor? Not just from a "different race than the original character" point of view, but because movies right now are very careful about portraying black people in a negative light.

This movie was pretty short, had a lot going on, yet felt strangely empty. Mia was, IMO, an unnecessary addition and took away from time that could have been devoted to expanding and explaining the Death Note lore and Light and L's cat-and-mouse game. More shinigami would have probably made it more crowded and diluted. That's why they should have introduced Mia in the second movie instead of here, along with other shinigami; there's enough material in the original story without having to resort to making things up.

Considering how poorly this movie was received, I don't think there'll be any follow-ups to it. Maybe in 5+ years if they decide to restart it, lol.

The second reason I think they introduced Mia now (aside from the love and Death Note ownership arguments subplots) was because they wanted to have a "serious" finale, which meant killing someone off, and they didn't want to axe L yet.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

I will admit L's actor did a good job for the majority of the movie until he started to lose control of his emotions. It's like they understood his body language but when it came to his personality they didn't quite understand.

Hakaru

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

I think they forgot the part where L is actually geek and he has a strange liking for sweets.
Isn't L supposed to stay indoor all day waiting for other people to come him? the keeping a low profile thing.

Every single character in the us version are OFC, they might as well create brand new characters like what "DN: Light Up the New World" is doing.

merged: 10-03-2017 ~ 09:11am

Quote by pandemonium91The second reason I think they introduced Mia now (aside from the love and Death Note ownership arguments subplots) was because they wanted to have a "serious" finale, which meant killing someone off, and they didn't want to axe L yet.

Didn't Nippon Television already did that in "DN2: The Last Name"? L beat Light by writing his own name in the note.

Signature Image

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by HatedAngelI will admit L's actor did a good job for the majority of the movie until he started to lose control of his emotions. It's like they understood his body language but when it came to his personality they didn't quite understand.

Yeah, anime!L is super calculated to the point that even when Light punches him out, he still takes a few seconds to think before punching him back. It makes sense, since the kids at the orphanage — L included — went through very rigorous training to become top detectives. Anyone would be weird after that.

Quote by HakaruI think they forgot the part where L is actually geek and he has a strange liking for sweets.
Isn't L supposed to stay indoor all day waiting for other people to come him? the keeping a low profile thing.

IDK, they made him quirky enough in the movie, although he comes across as more "unstable" than "quirky". Truth be told, I've kind of forgotten a lot of the film already, lol. Better to replace it with the events of the anime, anyway. I don't even remember how L deduced that Kira needed a name and face to kill in the movie.

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

Quote by pandemonium91I don't even remember how L deduced that Kira needed a name and face to kill in the movie.

I believe he did this in the movie by showing up on live tv with his face covered half way and his name unknown daring him to kill him.

I'll admit after I saw the movie it took me a while to actually... fully digest what I just saw. Its like I know I saw somethign I didn't like but I wasn't 100% exactly what I just saw. It was this bizarre fever dream like state. I feel more so that this is accredited to how they dropped so much information in 1 film, but I also want to say its because its also either completely forgettable as a film or so bad that I just didn't want to remember it.

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by HatedAngelI believe he did this in the movie by showing up on live tv with his face covered half way and his name unknown daring him to kill him.

I'll admit after I saw the movie it took me a while to actually... fully digest what I just saw. Its like I know I saw somethign I didn't like but I wasn't 100% exactly what I just saw. It was this bizarre fever dream like state. I feel more so that this is accredited to how they dropped so much information in 1 film, but I also want to say its because its also either completely forgettable as a film or so bad that I just didn't want to remember it.

Oh, you're right, he did make a short statement in front of a lot of reporters.

Your description put it best. This tends to happen if you see an adapted work whose original material/source you're already familiar with. I know I was the same with the Harry Potter movies; at some point it was difficult to separate the movies from the books because my mind was filling in whatever blanks the movie story left.

Now that I'm halfway through the Death Note anime, it's crazy how much black humor there is in it. It's a shame they didn't develop movie!Ryuk past sadistic, even if they nailed the cackle.

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

http://orig00.deviantart.net/884c/f/2014/131/0/a/summary_of_my_favorite_anime_by_nebezial-d7i19ys.jpg

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

The Netflix versions would just be screaming at each other in a cafe

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Lmao, that is so accurate. Ryuk would just go "humans are confusing" and leave to hunt for apples or something.

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 36 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.