Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Google becoming more like Yahoo! - Minitokyo

Google becoming more like Yahoo!

page 1 of 1 10 total items

boink

boink

checkcheck

Source

Quote by The Register
Google has acquired 3D mapping company Keyhole for an undisclosed sum, and announced that it's cutting the price of the consumer edition from $69.95 to $29.95. Keyhole's EarthViewer mapping service is a technical tour de force, making use of the 3D capabilities of modern PC graphics cards to do the heavy lifting, or rendering in this case. Earthviewer allow you to "fly" between specified points. EarthViewer came to widespread attention during the 2003 invasion of Iraq, when CNN, ABC and CBS used the imaging technology.

Last Febuary Keyhole received an investment from In-Q-Tel, the CIA's no-profit investment fund. EarthViewer isn't the only Google technology that's useful to the intelligence community, of course, there's Gmail, too.

Why would Google want Keyhole? Well, although the company wisely denies that it's becoming a portfolio, it does, like Yahoo! offer local information. However route planning and direction services, which are are a natural fit with local search, are missing. Google wouldn't disclose what it plans to do with the enterprise version of EarthViewer, but it adds another powerful tool to its armory. ®

Signature

Takeya

Takeya

the enigma + extremeties thereof

i think google will do what they think is best. they are definitely a "big" company now, with stockholders and email and moneymakers...

as long as their search engine remains pure and unadulterated, no problemos here. I dont use google services like desktop search or toolbar or deskbar (i cant anyway im not in windows) ... Just google and gmail.

In Russia is freedom of speech. In America is also freedom after speech. -- Yakov Smirnoff

Signature

google is da best man. i can almost find everythin i need it.... well sometimes

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

yeah, google is massive, now you'll even hear the phrase "I googled it" when people talk about certain things when looking up on the internet. I use google myself, and I think I'm pretty satisfied with it, hey, they are getting a good turn for their worth, because they got popular.

Purplefire

Purplefire

Evil Guinea Pig Scientist

Google is alot better then yahoo, and yea its becoming more popular. But whats wrong with that? yahoo has a better email service though, dont really like gmail

Signature

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Google knows the image it has, and I do not think they will knowingly do anything to change that image. However, now that they are a public company, they have to answer to more than just themselves and their userbase. There are stockholders who want a return in their investment, and like many other companies, Google has decided to provide that return by diversifying their interests. Some of Google's charm is its distinctiveness and minimalistic approach to things compared to Yahoo and MSN. If Google provided a sort of minimalistic mapping option with this acquired software that was in tune with the rest of their services, distinct from such things as Yahoo!Maps, then it will increase the strength of their company and their name.

iN1Ti4LdR1fT3r

iN1Ti4LdR1fT3r

whats an e-brake?

lolz well ya its kinda kool cuz they now bth have mostly the same stuff u can look for its like more easier u know?

Signature Image

googles cool. i think the new gmail thing is better than yahoo mail

Everything will go down the hole at some point it's the natural process of things, so I don't really care, I do however like the gmail service at this point.

Ritalin

Ritalin

Rawrz.

Google is too good to go the way of Yahoo! or anything else. I've always been able to find something on google if it existed. It's the 'Art of Google" I like to call it. XD Usually if you can't find something on it, you're either a) not good enough, or b) Not using googlin' techniques. :)

Gmail became my default email service during the summer, it's wonderful. Everything works the way I want it to, no down time, archiving messages is a godsend, and the 1gb really comes in handy for my needs.

Caffeinated Dreams
outrageously caffeinated weblog.

IRC--express--Twilight Whispers-

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.