Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What kind of word shortenings do you use in forums and IMs? - Minitokyo

What kind of word shortenings do you use in forums and IMs?

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

What kind of word shortenings do you use in forums and IMs?

On a semi-related note, check out this bash quote.

Signature Image

sammo

Retired Moderator

sammo

Retired Moderator

i use brb, afk, lol, rofl, lmao, and such a lot.

i dont really ues much shortened word, just because i want to be as grammatically correct when i type. i also dont like to use acronyms, but some word just grew into me. leet talk is retarded and shows that the people who use it are computer geeks >_>

chibi-lizard

chibi-lizard

the official cicak kecil

umm... i only use brb... and that's only when i'm in a rush. or i won't use any of those at all.. :D i prefer to type everything out. :)

.:: [ S . U . K . I - S . A . N . C . T . U . A . R . Y ] ::.
Signature Image
.: don't kill me cause i'm a lizard :.

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Well, I guess I need to differentiate them a bit. In forums I try to not use anything but well established acronyms like OS. In IMs, I type things out when possible, but I am in a hurry, then I will hack out a brb. I will also abbreviate anime series names when IMing friends.

i have spell check as you type in my instant messenger, so that helps. I also use SpellBound for forums, but it's not automatic. I've been trying to re-learn how to spell after so many years of AIM and reading web pages / forums.

Signature Image

I don't use abbreviations other than well-known acronyms (OS, MT, &tc.). The English language has an elegance to it that is ground into the dirt by using lol! r0x0rz! d00d! nonsense.

If someone does not speak English natively, the "rule" doesn't apply -- I've tried speaking French and Italian and I know that it's difficult to speak or write in a different language without a lot of practice.

Yes, I'm an English elitist. Then again, I get paid well for knowing how to communicate clearly, which l337 5p34k deliberately tries not to do.

synkr0nized

crimson angel

Abbreviations are an abomination. I just don't use them in either IMs or forum posts.

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

Quote by synkr0nizedAbbreviations are an abomination. I just don't use them in either IMs or forum posts.

"IM's"? :P how's that for an abbreviation

Story-Weaver

Story-Weaver

Another story begins...

I use "lol" quite a lot since I've just got used to it, and it conveys a meaning never really used in "traditional" writing because until the advent of the internet and mobile phones you wouldn't have a conversation in real-time by text. I also use brb when Instant Messaging.

If you're talking about a particular game/anime whatever in a conversation then it helps to use an acronym for that for the rest of the conversation. Otherwise I type everything out. I really hate it when people do l33t speech and stuff. It's just unneccessary when you've got a keyboard in front of you.

See my web page! Or my blog.

i use "lol" "brb" "afk" "ttyl" "lmao" "omg" "b"(be) "c" (see) "ya"(you) gest the way u'd think alot

and can any1 tell me what "rofl" stands for?

SealedSword

Sword Demon

I rarely ever use shortened words
(rofl means rolling on the floor or something O_o)

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.