Underappreciated Video Games

page 1 of 1 21 total items

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Cancel

What do you think are the most underappreciated video games? I'd go with Koudelka and the Shadow Hearts series. I really like Oni and Septerra Core too. I think these are all pretty good games, but I can't figure why they don't get more attention. Siren was basically a flop in the US, but I think it's a pretty unique and inventive game, and it gave me the creeps more than other survival horror games.

thegunblademaster

thegunblademaster

Nine Is God

Cancel

i think Xenosaga is a very underrated game. most people dont like the staory and all the cinematics, but its a really great game, only RPG that's better is Final Fantasy

Signature Image

Check out my Youtube Channel at www.youtube.com/ThisActOfGod

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Cancel

Theres tons. I considered Oni to be one of the more popular ones actually, at least practally everyone I knew loved it, including myself.

The Koudelka series didn't become popular because.....well the first one had a horrible (no offense) battle system which made it WAY too easy to have your weapon break...leaving you completely screwed or having to spend forever leveling up so you could advance without getting your face handed to you.

Shadow Hearts was just unlucky, releasing the same time FFX was released in the states.... no one even knew about it. But I did.....I made sure to get it asap, since its probably the BEST Gothic RPG I've ever played, I never cared for Vagrant Story myself... But actually Shadow Hearts was not a total flop, alot of people mostly disliked it for, get this, the judgement ring concept. I personally found it easier than all hell. I insult my friend over that cause he hated it and I remind him "Dude...if you have any timing at all you can do this.....common what are you gonna do? Play it while not looking?"

There are TONS of hidden treasures so to speak that people don't know about, and its really too bad so I'm gonna spend some time today and go through my gaming library and find some games that have been considered 'Under appreciated'.

Two I know from GamePro reviews, Tales of Destiny and Xenogears (They hated Xenogears...the review they gave it doesn't do it any remote justice, they just focused purely on the negatives). Though Xenogears is huge, and ToD recieved somewhat worthy notice. Wild ARMs is another series that wasn't really focused upon until Wild ARMs 2 came out, least from what I remember anyway.

Signature Image

• Nov 02, 2004

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Cancel

I've never played Koudelka, I can't even find a copy of it used anywhere. Copies on ebay are more than I want to spend. I said Siren was a total flop, not Shadow Hearts. I know it's not, there's still a lot of people talking about it.

I really want to play Wild Arms, but it's not out for PS2, is it?

thegunblademaster

thegunblademaster

Nine Is God

Cancel

Quote by egnirysI really want to play Wild Arms, but it's not out for PS2, is it?

not yet, the newest one, Wild Arms Alter Code: F is a remake of the first game and it will be on PS2

Signature Image

Check out my Youtube Channel at www.youtube.com/ThisActOfGod

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Cancel

Bought Koudelka for Ten bucks at Gamestop here.... Four disk game with pretty decent cut scenes....but I just got too pissed off at the horrible battle system to stay interested and literally (I know its stupid but this is how fustrated it leaves you) crushed the game.

Actually Shadow Hearts was considered a total flop, thats what I was saying, simply because it came out when Final Fantasy X did, Siren did pretty well here in Bismarck, North Dakota anyways. People hardly know of the Koudelka series anyway.

Wild ARMs 3 came out for ps2....i dunno honestly...I really hated the way they made that game and the way they did the cel shading SUCKS, seriously it looks VERY out of place..but its for fairly cheap (17.99 I believe at any Gamestop) if your curious. I would strongly recommend the first two, which are relatively cheap even on Ebay. I remember buying WAY too much from Ebay...and that was one of the cheaper things, luckily I bought Wild ARMs 2 here.....which is probably the best out of the series.

They are also remaking Wild ARMs the first one for ps2 with MUCH better graphics (The battle scenes in the first one were GOD awful) and theres also work on a fourth installment. Except the Re-release to graze the states hopefully in November (unless they push it back again) then it might be early 05'. I've got it on reserve and I can't wait.

Another series to check out (for ps2) is Suikoden III, see this was so funny cause the game was hardly popular and the old used price was like ten bucks....Now its up to almost thirty. Worth every penny if you ask me.. They completely changed how their battle system works, but still kept the uniqueness. The second one is worth about 90 bucks because of its rarity and the first one, which was very nicely done actually,I got lucky and got it for like fifteen, its worth around 20-50 bucks on Ebay.

Signature Image

• Nov 02, 2004

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Cancel

Oh! Sorry, misunderstood you there. I know SH1 was a total flop. FFX really overshadowed everything, but I can see why. Aruze isn't a very big game company, and they don't have money to make big budget games like Square does. SH:Covenant is less floppish, it seems to have gotten a lot of press from gaming magazines. I don't really trust them, but at least the word is out there.

I have Suikoden III and I loooooooove it. I'll have to buy some of those Wild Arms games.

Hitomi-Yuki

Hitomi-Yuki

Gaming Ninja

Cancel

Whoa. Have you ever heard of Gitaroo Man? It's probably the 2nd most obscure game in U.S history, but if you can find it, you're in for a treat.

Signature

• Nov 02, 2004

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Cancel

Gitaroo Man? Nope. Never heard of it. What sort of game is it? I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Cancel

Quote by Hitomi-YukiWhoa. Have you ever heard of Gitaroo Man? It's probably the 2nd most obscure game in U.S history, but if you can find it, you're in for a treat.

Oooooo wow I can't believe someone else has heard of that game.....@_@.

Yeah....SH : Coveant really recieved ALOT of advertisement from the press, considering the first one had like NO advertisement so I'm curious why they decided to put so much hype into this game which I thought would never be released in the states.. @_@ But I'm glad they did release it.

Signature Image

• Nov 02, 2004

Hitomi-Yuki

Hitomi-Yuki

Gaming Ninja

Cancel

It's a music n' rhythm game. Fruity Japanese hero saves the world from an alien menace---using guitars. Basically, you bust out with the Jimi Hendrix, keep the beat, and have a boatload of fun!

Signature

• Nov 02, 2004

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Cancel

I can't figure out why SH:C got so much hype, personally. But it's been advertised or written up in every issue of GI since it was released, at least that I've noticed. I don't read the magazine so much anymore. -_-' I'm glad it got so much press, it's really fun and helped put RPGs in a new perspective.

But...the end of the Man Festival... ewwwwwwwwwwwww. *twitch*

Mant

Title? What's this?

Cancel

Playstation 2's ICO.

One of the most fabulous and atmosphere-full games of ever.

You can finish it in a 9-10 hours, but it worths the cost at 100%.

The most poetic game i have ever played. If you find it, buy it no matter the cost.

Signature Image Ai

Kozumura

Kozumura

????

Cancel

Ace Combat series, A really underrated series. It's the only real superb flying sims that's great. and Gitaroo Man.. xDD!! Oh my god, I loving tha game, and that one song "Flyin to your Heart"

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Cancel

Quote by MantPlaystation 2's ICO.One of the most fabulous and atmosphere-full games of ever.
You can finish it in a 9-10 hours, but it worths the cost at 100%.
The most poetic game i have ever played. If you find it, buy it no matter the cost.

It is a great game.....its sad because people hated it because you had to drag that girl around....but it was such a wonderfully done game and even for an early PS2 title, it competes with some of todays titles so that really good.

Quote by KozumuraAce Combat series, A really underrated series. It's the only real superb flying sims that's great. and Gitaroo Man.. xDD!! Oh my god, I loving tha game, and that one song "Flyin to your Heart"

Hooray! Someone else that loves the Ace Combat Series! I believe they have a new one out now for the ps2 =P. Or else that might be something else....but I do have ace combat for the ps1.....

Signature Image

• Nov 02, 2004

DarkSavior

DarkSavior

~Death's Adversary~

Cancel

Vagrant Story - Great game, great story. I hate the fact it took 3 blocks ( or 4 I think) of the memory card space though.

Quote by Hitomi-YukiWhoa. Have you ever heard of Gitaroo Man? It's probably the 2nd most obscure game in U.S history, but if you can find it, you're in for a treat.

Another great game that heartless gamer never gave a chance. I beat this so many times. I like the 2nd stage the best ( w/ the ufo ).

I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be...

• Nov 02, 2004

XDarkDestinyX

XDarkDestinyX

Forgotten Dreamer

Cancel

Septerra Core is interestingg game, and it's battle system was something else~ But it was never really well known. Another game, even though it's part of the FF series, but it was never liked as it was never a RPG. FF Tactics is interesting. It was something different from the RPGs and it had a nice plot line and good battle system~

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Cancel

Quote by XDarkDestinyXSepterra Core is interestingg game, and it's battle system was something else~ But it was never really well known. Another game, even though it's part of the FF series, but it was never liked as it was never a RPG. FF Tactics is interesting. It was something different from the RPGs and it had a nice plot line and good battle system~

Yeah, I really like Septerra Core. I've never played FF Tactics, but I do think I have it floating around somewhere. Maybe I should find it. ^_^' I hope I didn't loan it to someone and it never came back. I fear that might have happened to it.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Cancel

Tactics is an amazing game. The makers of Orge Tactics and the FF staff hooked up to make that wonder of a game. I highly suggest playing it, though being a fan of the Tactics genre would be a big help too, otherwise you'll hate the game. I believe Cloud was a hidden character..... ^.~ Though its seriously worth every penny, just an amazing game.

Signature Image

• Nov 02, 2004

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Cancel

F Cloud, I want Laguna as a hidden character. XD If I can find it, I'll play it. Or harass the friend I know has it if I can't. I've rarely played tactics games, but it seems interesting enough. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't think so. Most likely, I just forgot about it until now.

Cancel

i dont know but the game that i found the most underappreciated is

breath of fire : dragon quarter

its so much considered normal game,but i found it so much entertaining,i fell in love with that

game,and we dont hear that much from this one

• Nov 02, 2004

page 1 of 1 21 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.