Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 When spam should be considered 'too much' - Minitokyo

When spam should be considered 'too much'

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 40 total items

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Ok after viewing this topic, http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/7812/ its come to my attention that MT is starting to really get into a spam problem. Not just people spamming the forums, but now alot more spam topics. So I was wondering should a new set of forum rules be created? Or punishment be given for those who continue to spam.

This is, as all my comments are, simply a suggestion towards making this a better place. I just feel that there is way too much spam going on now and I have to agree with what Kast told me awhile back "MT is starting to become bogged down with spam and has really lost alot of its fun topics in replace with spam" (Its along those lines, Kast if you see this topic you can re-post what you told me, it would be appreciated). Anyways this is just a suggestion and I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this too.

I know people make topics just to simply be nice or to let others have fun, but alot of them are just simply questions that you can ask someone in a PM or in someones GB and really aren't necessary topics that NEED to be created.

I know that I sometimes spam as well, but this is more of excessive and basically comments that should be made on IRC or a chatroom/Instant message rather than forum material. Whats funny is the people that are doing this I've never seen on IRC before. The forum is NOT ment for asking everyone how they are doing, though its a generous offer and its appreciated by me. Though its still just spam when you get down to it. Espically if theres already a topic up and the person was just 'too lazy' to bother looking for it.

Thank you and have a nice day.

-Cy

Signature Image

yea really i know what you mean, im so scik of all the cliche threads that people post like "whats yor favorite anime" and so on. i think the same can be said about some of the comments people leave as well. for example i had one guy give me the exact same comment on several of my walls. it was pretty ridiculous

Piyo

Piyo

because you l i v e .

Piyo will have to agree with ya there.. On one hand, people are talking to each other but on the other it causes spam ._.

Signature Image

B E C A U S E YOU L I V E , I L I V E .

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

agree with u cy..
the forum should have some strict policy
about this one..
*sorry to u all if i have ever make spam too -_-*
in case of the crap said..
the wall thing
it's because the level system, i guess

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Athrun

Athrun

Flying Chain Chomp

Ha. Is that why you never replied to my guestbook posts? Well I don't really consider it spam... especially since I type a decent amount of words. I don't like to type a lot since ppl wouldn't like to read a lot. (At least not me anyway. I've never been much of a reader...) but for this topic... I guess I will type a lot.

Let's see what I see about the spam here....

something like...

"hello [username]"
"hello [some other username]"
"hello [another username]"

i forget who did that tho... but shame on j00. :p

i don't see what the problem is with posting "Hiya, how's your day today? Shittay? Good?". It's a good way to know each other if they don't have instant messengers.

Still buying pokemon cards?
My Ebay!
Don't miss out on very rare stuff! *Japanese Shiny Krookodile*, Full Art Ho-oh EX and Elesa deck sleeves! Very hard to find and very expensive from Japanese sellers! Get them while they're at a low cost! Ending very soon!

winterlilac09

winterlilac09

white freed by her savior~

I apologize on behalf of autumn.... she's still kind of new to MT as well as forums in general... i'm pretty sure she didn't mean to spam so please try not to be too harsh on her...

And no offense to you, autumn, but cy's right.... stuff like that is kind of spam.... just be careful what you post next time. ^^

f a l l i n g . i n t o . s w e e t . c e l e s t i a l . d r e a m
l i g h t . i n . s h e e r . a n d . s i m p l e . s l e e p

Signature Image

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

hahahaha..... man, Cy... i'll help ya find spammers aye? :)

besides, the question is.... what is considered non-spam, haha ^_^'
but sure, the same questions and threads comin' up again and again can be a little tiresome...

also, the newcomers comin' to Mt doesn't know what topics is already made. And goin' from page 1 to page 100 can also be a little tiresome for them... just to see if the thread is already made or not, heh...

Signature

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

I know what you mean Cy, yeah, well I think there are some ridiculous topics around here, and not to mention some people don't know they should use the search function before making topics, but I guess most of these people are new and unaware of it. Maybe the mods should pay more attention to the topics, don't need this place to be a spam fest, yeah, I might of spammed around myself, I apologize if I have btw. We need some rules to be put down here on this.

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

I don't think anyone needs to go back 100 pages to find a thread. 5 maybe, but not 100. I post quite a bit ^_^' and I'm new, but I don't really think my posts cross into the line of spam. A fine line it may be, but it's an easy one to recognize.

If it's for just one person, send them a PM. That's what the PM system is for. If I start a thread, it's cos I want to know something that requires general opinion. If I reply, it's cos I have something to say and it's generally not too chatty. If I am too chatty, I'd hope someone would tell me to shut up. I need that sometimes. :D

chibikko

chibikko

chibigaki

i'm spaming sometimes, too. at least i think, i do but some of the spam threads are senseless, you're right. and then ppl are too lazy to look if someone made a thread with the same topic, cause the forum is full of useless threads >_<

Foolish-ishness

Foolish-ishness

.:Obaka-san:.

I noticed this a while ago >_>;

Quote: WE DO NOT care:
· what your favourite colour, number, or food is
· who you think would win in a fight between ____ and ____
· about your homework requirements
· which Final Fantasy you think is the best
· if you are dying to roleplay on the bbs
· which .hack character you would like to date, be, or injure
· which .hack character you think is the coolest, funniest, hottest, etc.

I think thats a good set of rules (Taken from a .hack forum) thats strict on spam. MT should probably kinda folllow the guidelines of the set of rules above.

Signature Image

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by egnirysI don't think anyone needs to go back 100 pages to find a thread. 5 maybe, but not 100. I post quite a bit ^_^' and I'm new, but I don't really think my posts cross into the line of spam. A fine line it may be, but it's an easy one to recognize.
If it's for just one person, send them a PM. That's what the PM system is for. If I start a thread, it's cos I want to know something that requires general opinion. If I reply, it's cos I have something to say and it's generally not too chatty. If I am too chatty, I'd hope someone would tell me to shut up. I need that sometimes. :D

Theres a search function to search for topics. Making it ALOT easier and with no excuses. Otherwise that'd be a vaild statement, its just called someone being lazy. Try searching with a few words, and if you can't find it then post the topic anyway. But yeah, I do respect your point and understand what your getting at.

Thank you everyone else for replying.

Foolish thats awesome, I think thats true too.
I really do like those rules.... > : ) Its true too, though some people feel the need to, which I can understand at times.

I know this is rude, but alot of the topics are already up, just a matter of people not bothering to look, espically since Autumm's topic was made by DarkMaiden on the Everyday Life section.

Signature Image

Takeya

Takeya

the enigma + extremeties thereof

perhaps members with a ceratain level should have a post limit per day.

In Russia is freedom of speech. In America is also freedom after speech. -- Yakov Smirnoff

Signature

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Search isn't perfect, it hasn't brought up posts I've searched for that did in fact exist. I do wish there was a delete function if you're the author of a thread so the board wouldn't get cluttered if you accidentally make a double post.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by egnirysSearch isn't perfect, it hasn't brought up posts I've searched for that did in fact exist. I do wish there was a delete function if you're the author of a thread so the board wouldn't get cluttered if you accidentally make a double post.

I know, but I'm just referring to people who don't even bother to try searching. Cause I know alot of people don't. Which is what is irritating.

Quote by Takeyaperhaps members with a ceratain level should have a post limit per day.

That actually would be a nice idea, though it would be hated. There are too many posts there, and alot of them are just simply mindless comments. It would be great because it would make people not waste their posts and actually MAKE a decent comment in return.

Egnirys I respect your comments and you make a very good point too. Thank you for showing the other side of things as well.

Signature Image

DaveTheInsane

DaveTheInsane

hou je bek

isn't the search funtion only for like 30+ members or something.. by then the noobs wouldn't be noonbs anymore....

I KNOW YOU'RE HERE. YOU LEFT A TRAIL OF HEAD JUICE
manhunt

People LISTEN TO ME I CAN'T DRAW ALLTHAT WELL, AND HAVEEN'T SUBMITTED MY OWN DRAWING YET.

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Quote by CyanideBlizzardI know, but I'm just referring to people who don't even bother to try searching. Cause I know alot of people don't. Which is what is irritating.

That is really annoying. I don't know how many people actually search and how many don't. You can't make people do anything, whether it's RL or on the net. Can't make em search, can't make em look, can just say something and that's all anyone can really do. -_-'

Quote by CyanideBlizzardEngirys I respect your comments and you make a very good point too. Thank you for showing the other side of things as well.

That's Egnirys. =P You're on my friends list, you can call me Lia like the rest of the people I know online. Sometimes everyone needs a noob perspective, even from someone who doesn't act like one. It's not so easy to get used to the way forums work in the first few days/weeks (depending on how active you are), so everyone needs a little hand holding to figure things out.

i spam way too much. i sometimes don't realize im spamming at all. so watch out ppl.

Well you know... I'm one to be bothered by these spam topics (as my sarcastic "How much wood does a wood chuck chuck?" thread could stipulate). On the one hand, yes it is in the spam forum... on the other hand... to me these kind of things are blatant attempts to level up, which really just annoy me and others... Further more... we can expand this topic to cover spammy groups like the "5 Fingers" group with the "Join this group if you have 5 fingers" description (this is just an example as I didn't want to point out anyone in particular but seriously... is there a purpose to this kind of group?). Anyway I'm getting off topic here so I'll stop.

Miroku4444

Miroku4444

Ecchi Enthusiast!!

Yeah, its got way out of hand. There's stupid topics like, "what is your fav color"?, "do u think u r happy???","FOOD IS good", "Do u hate your parents","What shampoo do you use?"Fav pizza". So are you getting the idea?s These are just mindless topics that no one gives a crap about. I want to see more interesting topics and ones with a little more substance to them. These kinda topics are not tolerated on any other forum i go to. There just boring and no fun at all. I've gone else where for better forums like project Zen, Anime layer, Anime Zen and so on. I hardly ever visit MT's forums anymore, its just gotten pathetic.Mt has such a great gallery and needs a equally impressive forum!! Ive seen alot of the regulars abandon the forums too. When I signed up 6 months ago it was nothing like this, and I think something need to be done imediately.

Signature

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

oh yeah.... i forgot we had a search function, hahaha XD sorry.... ^_^' well, ok... that covers up alot...

Signature

Crazyrabbit87

Crazyrabbit87

TKD Freak

Quote by kastelic4444Yeah, its got way out of hand. There's stupid topics like, "what is your fav color"?, "do u think u r happy???","FOOD IS good", "Do u hate your parents","What shampoo do you use?"Fav pizza". So are you getting the idea?s These are just mindless topics that no one gives a crap about. I want to see more interesting topics and ones with a little more substance to them. These kinda topics are not tolerated on any other forum i go to. There just boring and no fun at all. I've gone else where for better forums like project Zen, Anime layer, Anime Zen and so on. I hardly ever visit MT's forums anymore, its just gotten pathetic.Mt has such a great gallery and needs a equally impressive forum!! Ive seen alot of the regulars abandon the forums too. When I signed up 6 months ago it was nothing like this, and I think something need to be done imediately.

i havent been around that long to tell the different amount of ppl changing...buh i do have to agree with the forum quality. i do have to admit that some the spam stuff are funny..buh only the funny ones, like xandmans continue the sentence stuff....buh stuff about do u think ur happy and crap like that is juss bs. sry if i offended any of the thread creators buh im sry its the blunt truth. ppl need to make less spam threads and more interesting thread on the other topics. that way we dun spam and start talking about something more intellegent

Why settle of 'good' when you can have DIM SUM BAR!!!

winterlilac09

winterlilac09

white freed by her savior~

Quote by Crazyrabbit87

Quote by kastelic4444Yeah, its got way out of hand. There's stupid topics like, "what is your fav color"?, "do u think u r happy???","FOOD IS good", "Do u hate your parents","What shampoo do you use?"Fav pizza". So are you getting the idea?s These are just mindless topics that no one gives a crap about. I want to see more interesting topics and ones with a little more substance to them. These kinda topics are not tolerated on any other forum i go to. There just boring and no fun at all. I've gone else where for better forums like project Zen, Anime layer, Anime Zen and so on. I hardly ever visit MT's forums anymore, its just gotten pathetic.Mt has such a great gallery and needs a equally impressive forum!! Ive seen alot of the regulars abandon the forums too. When I signed up 6 months ago it was nothing like this, and I think something need to be done imediately.

i havent been around that long to tell the different amount of ppl changing...buh i do have to agree with the forum quality. i do have to admit that some the spam stuff are funny..buh only the funny ones, like xandmans continue the sentence stuff....buh stuff about do u think ur happy and crap like that is juss bs. sry if i offended any of the thread creators buh im sry its the blunt truth. ppl need to make less spam threads and more interesting thread on the other topics. that way we dun spam and start talking about something more intellegent

i don't mean to sound ignorant but if you think that a few of those types of threads are boring, what isn't? i mean, wouldn't the entire point of making "meaningful" threads then be based mainly upon opinions? for example, perhaps a thread such as "Why did you decided to choose that username?" may seem fun and interesting to one person as while it may seem boring and pointless to you.. then who really has the right to make that judgement?

f a l l i n g . i n t o . s w e e t . c e l e s t i a l . d r e a m
l i g h t . i n . s h e e r . a n d . s i m p l e . s l e e p

Signature Image

broken-dreamz

broken-dreamz

shoujo-otaku

bleh I feel so horrible..-o-''' I used to do that when I first came here >o<'' waii gomengomengomeeeeeeenn >o<'' I'll think next time before I start a newthread~nana gomengomen cy for allt hose spamming threads~

Signature Image
shounen-ai - animeclub - strawberry - mts - mt-north - sasuxnaru <3 all these groups, join today =9

shameless plug-in = my journal & my fanfictions // <333~~ minnnaah!

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 40 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.