Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Question about the Presidency - Minitokyo

Question about the Presidency

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Jinzhou

Retired Moderator

Jinzhou

Forsaken God

I just have a small question. What was everyone rooting for Kerry so much? Did I miss something revolutionary that Kerry said? I mean I personally didn't see anything SO special about him that everyone seemed to root for him. Was it the simple fact that he WASN'T Bush? What I got from my mom (we had a discussion last night) was that everyone liked John Edwards (Kerry's running mate) and if the ballet were flipped (Edwards as President and Kerry as vice) that it would've been an even closer race. But my question still stands: What was so special about Kerry?

(And don't even THINK about starting a flame war; I'm simply asking a question, and if it gets out-of-hand, I'll close it.)

Signature
Yes, I am god. Infallibility at its greatest.

belmikry

Retired Moderator

belmikry

belly-button

well, personally if i could have voted (I'm Canadian, living in America) I would've voted for Kerry, and the reason was because in his campaign he wasn't letting his religious beliefs take over... for instance, Bush wanted to make abortions illegal, because it's immoral to god... Kerry said you can't make everone in America believe the same religious beliefs- and it's a woman's decision and right... now i know not everyone believes in abortions- but even if they don't- you can't say someone can't unless you've really been there- what if someone was raped? would you want to carry a child of that? a reminder? i know I wouldn't... why should a woman be forced to bring achild into the world where it would end up in a adoption home if she couldn't care for it? *rant* sorry i know not everyone believes in that, but that's one major reason i liked Kerry...

same thing for Addiction councelling.. bush said he's giving all of the funds to relgious groups to help people- because that worked for him. Again, I don't like a president who tries to make everyone christian... you can't do that! period!....

Kerry was my choice because he thought this war was in it for the wrong reasons... i also agree with this... *then again, i'm canadian ^_^'... not many of us like Bush's "war of terrorism" ie: oil.... i'm a Environmental Geology major, so I'm not a huge fan of politics, because no one will ever touch the actual issues of what's happening in North America.. Kerry wanted to invest in alternative fuels to rid us our need for oil and gas.. this i was extremely excited about..

so, for these reasons, i would've chosen Kerry.. but alas, not my decision, and i'm just an outsider-thats suck inside.... so i'm kinda dissapointed... but what can you do? *shrugs*

i hope you guys are right about bush... thats all 0_0

Signature
Anime wallpaper/Female Scans/Group Scans Moderator
-
rippers and duplicates beware of belly's button! XD [ermmm... o_o]

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

well in my opinion
everyone willing to choose kerry
coz bush just start too much war.
and ppl just think that maybe kerry
will make difference..(with the war thing)
*i hate war too, useles fight, why can't be settle by simple-game instead of killing ppl*
actually i don't see much of kery speciality too
but that's my opinion
correct me if i wrong.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Danael

Danael

Ecchi Archangel

Oooh well lets get started. I could not vote since even though most of my family is American, I'm one of the few that have chosen not to be (at least for now...hehehe). But i would've voted for Kerry... why? Well first off I think and feel the same as belmikry, I'm a strong supporter of the the separation between religion and state (don't get me wrong I could even be classified as a bible basher since I'm mormon). Lets take abortion, if you represent the government you have to be clear in diferentiating your personal opinion from that of the law. While i'm sure abortion is not well seen in most religions the law cannot be subjected to religious beliefs. If you want to ban abortion (at the government level) it will be for the fact of what abortion is (and don't get me started on human rights please) and not because God does not approve of it. Same goes with the war in Irak, yeah we went out there to find WMD and guess what we've not found them! Then the president said we were there to liberate the people from Saddam and lately he's been saying we're bringers of democracy to the Iraki people. We are afraid of Sunni and other Islam groups because they "elect" their leaders based in religious principles, and it is not convenient for us to have another "Ayatolah" as president/leader of a country. So are we ANY different from them when we elect someone like Bush because he appeals to the religious beliefs of most christians out there in Bible Belt Country? I guess not.
Just as a side note I believe we are afraid of what government might come into force in Irak beacause if it is an Islamic government (be it normal, moderate or radical) they will take their place in the Arab world as leaders (they survived a US invasion!!!). This automatically puts them at odds with Bush's great friends the Israelis. And gues what Isarael is not but a mere speck of a country compared to the rest of the middle east block (read arabs). I do not dislike common Israel people (I've got some friends and neighbours who are), I dislike their government.

Returning to why Kerry yes. He might not have been necessarily VERY different from Bush, you can find many similarities between their platforms, but at least he was willing to say WE WERE wrong. Those three very hard to say words. At least he was willing to talk things over with Europe, guess what, with Bush besides our little Joker (Tony blair, have you seen his face? reminds me of the joker from Batman) nobody else wants to really talk to him. Wonder why... Not everyone is willing to accept the preemptive measures and that the US is not willing to consult with others.

Probably if the ticket was inverted (Edwards instead of Kerry) things might have been different. But who knows. Lets see what happens in 2008, will Hillary or Edwards battle for nomination. Ah and let me leave you with a question... who's next on the invasion list Syria or Cuba?

Did you ever notice how in the Bible, whenever God needed to punish someone, or make an example, or whenever God needed a killing, he sent an angel? Did you ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? A whole existence spent praising your God, but always with one wing dipped in blood. Would you ever really want to see an angel?
Signature

belmikry

Retired Moderator

belmikry

belly-button

Quote by Danael
Just as a side note I believe we are afraid of what government might come into force in Irak beacause if it is an Islamic government (be it normal, moderate or radical) they will take their place in the Arab world as leaders (they survived a US invasion!!!). This automatically puts them at odds with Bush's great friends the Israelis. And gues what Isarael is not but a mere speck of a country compared to the rest of the middle east block (read arabs). I do not dislike common Israel people (I've got some friends and neighbours who are), I dislike their government.
Returning to why Kerry yes. He might not have been necessarily VERY different from Bush, you can find many similarities between their platforms, but at least he was willing to say WE WERE wrong. Those three very hard to say words. At least he was willing to talk things over with Europe, guess what, with Bush besides our little Joker (Tony blair, have you seen his face? reminds me of the joker from Batman) nobody else wants to really talk to him. Wonder why...

yes, totally agree... especially about making up with europe.... do you know Bush hasn't even gone into Canada since he was elected his first time???? talk about trying to make "peace" yahright....

Signature
Anime wallpaper/Female Scans/Group Scans Moderator
-
rippers and duplicates beware of belly's button! XD [ermmm... o_o]

I really don't like Bush (and didn't vote for him), but the primary reason I could *never* force myself to vote for Kerry is his Senate record on gun control, silly "I'm a hunter" photo ops aside. Hell, he got a 100% rating (voted their positions 100% of the time) and endorsement from the Brady Campaign which is enough to make me go HELL NO. One thing Bush didn't do at least (despite fence-sitting lip service) was push for the renewal of the worthless "assault weapons" ban of 1994, which Kerry would no doubt push for (and he wanted a stronger ban at that). A Kerry presidency could have had the effect of rolling back recent progress on the gun rights front, or at least put a kink in the works.

There are other issues on which I disagree with Kerry as well, but that's the one that stands out the strongest to me.

Due to Minitokyo's policies, I will no longer be submitting any wallpapers or scans to this site.

i think as you said jinzhou, the sole reason why people were voting for him was cause he wasnt "bush". with kerry you have a clean slate but imo i didnt like either. i voted for kerry myself cause as they say, might as well take the better of the two idiots. also, another reason is that with bush being elected, the government now has a majority of republicans. the president, the senate, and the houde all have this majority now. and being more on the liberal side myself this aint good news for me.

Sir-Boingal0t

Sir-Boingal0t

BOINGATR0N

every state in the extremes of North America (big cities like NYC) voted for Kerry because the tax payers didnt like the fact that Bush is using their hard earned money to pay for people who they didnt give a crap about. They also didnt like the fact that their kids r getting killed by people they are fighting to liberate.

Most people thought that by going to Iraq, the gas prices will go down......its quite the opposite.

The people who live in this big ass cities would have spent that 400 billion dollars to pay for renewal of schools, more inland security, lower income taxes, lower the price of commute.etc.. But Instead we spent it on ungrateful people in Iraq that pays us by fucking us over. (Just the way we fucked em over)

People in these big cities are working more with less, and it just keeps getting worse.

now every state in the middle are highly militaristic states, and if they are militaristic ....then surely they will vote for Bush to keep this war running and to stop it from looking like Vietnam. (its funny cuz Bush and Kerry has exactly the same ideas on how to win this war)

The government sends the SAME amount of money to spend on security to all states. That means the smaller cities are practically overflowing with this security packages while the BIG cities like NYC or LA are scratching their asses tryin to find money to buy more. Thats another reason why teh BIG cities want Kerry, Small for BUSH!

Thats why this country is sooo divided right now, hopefully it wont get worse with Bush running another 4 years.

and about John Edwards............ehh......iduno about him being president. He cant even beat Kerry (thats why HE joined Kerry) If Kerry cant beat Bush....whats Edwards chances?

Signature Image
DigiTalBoing XD boingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingo
ingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoing

Osiris

Retired Moderator

Osiris

(>^-^)>( . Y . )

His ideals reflected mine :/

Signature

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

he could speak french and play the guitar :3

other than that he was simply the "other choice". ya know...anything but Bush

Basically what I have gathered talking with others in my area, the main reason that most of the people who backed Kerry, did so because he was the lesser of 2 evils. When it comes down to it, Bush is an incompetant moron who cant lead a country. Kerry on the other hand, wouldnt have done much better, but it would most likely have turned out better for the US if Kerry had won the election.

The one thing I like to read is that people say they voted for Bush because he makes them feel safe, yet its mainly his fault we are even in the mess we are in.

Another thing is how many Floridians voted for Bush because they felt the federal government did a good job helping with the hurricane mess this year. Im still confused on that, because most of the assistance for Florida, has nothing to do with Bush.

Overall there was nothing special about Kerry over Bush, except for his not being Bush.

Signature

toujin1

toujin1

the sword's blade

soo..who can guess whats gonna happen next? i mean...what if bush suddenly "found more wmd" in ......lord knows...will america follow him if he continued to "liberate countries"? (the ones with the oil of course)

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Vagrant123

Vagrant123

I'm having a mid-death crisis.

Just a side note: I have never heard of anybody from outside of the US who thought Bush was a better candidate. Just something I thought I might like to share.

Personally, I don't like Kerry, nor do I trust him. If we were in peacetime, I'd probably vote for him. He seems like a good peace-time economy guy. Edwards just spews out points I keep hearing all across the net. However, this is not peace-time. I would trust Kerry as much with war as I would a kid with a loaded gun.

Signature

"I'm stuck on bandages because bandages are stuck on me."

http://forums.xgenstudios.com

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by crapmonsteri think as you said jinzhou, the sole reason why people were voting for him was cause he wasnt "bush". with kerry you have a clean slate but imo i didnt like either. i voted for kerry myself cause as they say, might as well take the better of the two idiots. also, another reason is that with bush being elected, the government now has a majority of republicans. the president, the senate, and the houde all have this majority now. and being more on the liberal side myself this aint good news for me.

Ding ding ding.....I keep hearing people bitching about "Omfg Bush got elected! America SUX now!" Jeeze SHUT UP people, you've put up with him for four years, do it again for four more. Second I see alot of people who are NOT Ameicans complaining about Bush, seriously like we can do anything after hes been elected? Oooo lets KILL him...>.>. Seriously both candidates sucked in my personal opinion. I would of voted independent.....thats how badly I hated it. Overall......You have to ask yourself....would you really of wanted either of them to win?

In all over I think this is the worst election I have ever seen...I'd honestly rather have Clinton back up there....but then that brings into more conflict with people.....etc.......

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.