Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Whats up with Squareenix? - Minitokyo

Whats up with Squareenix?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Dont get me wrong i love Final Fantasy as much as the next gamer but whats up with all the VII spin-offs. Advent children is understandable and even Before Crisis sounds cool but with Dirge of Cerberus(sp) and now the new one, Crisis Core arent they running this thing into the ground a bit?

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

ultimaslair

ultimaslair

Alien from Inner Cabinet

Well, I suppose they are doing a bit much, but only because they can. I mean, if you look at it, they are running out of "unique new ideas" for new Final Fantasys. So, why not back off and do something else. Since there is enuogh of a following for VII, they could spin-off it. Mobile-phone games are popular in Japan, so that's definitely a hit. As for the movie, not sure why they went with it in the first, but it will probably sell quite well, and definitely help market the PSP that can play movies. I wouldn't really count Dirge of Cerebus. I mean, sure, it has Vincent. But, that's about it. It's a different type of game (Devil May Cry-ish) and probably a whole nother story. Advent Children's story is already far enough from the original (though, not completely), Dirge takes place two years after AC, so, the story is probably going to be quite different. As for Crisis Core, well, I dunno about that. Guess they saw it fit to have a game on the PSP too...

Quote: because ever since VII, they haven't done anything worth while. Now all you lovers of X and X-2, admit it, the games blew, waterball, hah. VIII was horribly boring, though it did have a good story line. XI, fun for awhile, didn't catch on for the world, because it wasn't very good.

Crystal Chronicals for the Cube, boring~ Tactics Advance, fun, but not worth that much.

All SquareEnix has for them is a huge group of fanboys/fangirls that loved VII, and they are going to milk it dry.

That's not entirely true. Probably the majority of Final Fantasy lovers hold VII as their favorite, there are a good enough amount who love FFX, and VIII as well. What about XI? That's actually doing okay, there are a lot of players. IX and X-2 were kinda under the bed, and not too many keep those games in their heart. Just because YOU feel like you didn't like certain games, doesn't affect the actualy statistics itself.

*rofl* Imo, it's about time they did something like these spinoffs. XD Square's been holding back on sequels for so long, and with the success of ff10-2, why not? :D Just seems to me that they're doing what they should have been since after FF7, only... all at once. ^_^'

Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Chopper City

lol imo square has been kinda dropping the ball with their games lately, especially the ff series... it seems like viii was the last truly good ff with last appeal >.<

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by AngstbunnyDont get me wrong i love Final Fantasy as much as the next gamer but whats up with all the VII spin-offs. Advent children is understandable and even Before Crisis sounds cool but with Dirge of Cerberus(sp) and now the new one, Crisis Core arent they running this thing into the ground a bit?

Mostly referred to as 'milking something for all its worth'. Plus alot of people have probably been harassing them about making more of it. Of course in most cases thats what ruins a series.. People usually want more, but when there is more they don't like it. They've got ALOT of other games commin' out as well. Be pretty interesting to see nonetheless.

Signature Image

UndyingShadow

UndyingShadow

Snake Eater

I think Square went downhill after Final Fantasy 8. I thought FF9 was alright, but was incredibly boring due to lame characters. FF10 was also decent, but it just wasn't material that makes the Final Fantasy series a superior RPG. Don't even get me started on ff10-2, because that was just SquareEnix's excuse to earn more money instead of putting out a decent game. I wasn't a fan of FF11 too, because I thought the idea of a mmorpg destroyed the sense of a good old fashioned RPG that I loved from Square's original classics like Chrono Trigger, FF4, FF6, and FF7. And what SquareEnix is doing to FF7 with all the spin-offs is similar to what Disney does to it's classic movies with crappy sequels. Both companies are just trying to milk money out of a certain series, and neither will or have produced decent material off these spin-offs and sequels. It really baffles me why SquareEnix would want to make so many spin-offs off of FF7, leave the damn classic game alone, you're just going to ruin it. As with the upcomming ff12, I've lost all excitement for it after playing the past couple of failures that SquareEnix has put out like Drakengard, ff10-2, ff11.

Signature Image

It just seems unfortunate that square would do this. so a lot of poeple may not like many of the games after 7 (i personally loved 10 though), i just wish instead of turning final fantasy 7 into a cash cow and "giving the fans what they want" they should concentrate more on making thier new games great, final fantasy or otherwise, cause in the end with all this milking their just gonna lose creditablity and no one is going to want anything from them no matter how good it is.

Maybe its the fact that most of you are older now and your tastes in games have come to want something else. FF7 came out 7 years ago, how many of you guys still like the things you enjoyed back then? I'm sure if FF7 came out with a different name, some of you wouldn't even go and play it.
I thought FFX was an ok game(didn't really like the character designs though), but ffx-2 wasn't all that great, I bought it bought haven't gone past chapter 2.
ff9 was a great game, I probably played about 100 hours on that game. And I thought that the characters were perfect for the mood of the game.
FF8 was an excellent game, terrific story and it was actually HARD(not to mention the sidequests).
I haven't played FF11 becuase ATM I have no way of buying something online.
Overall I think SquarEnix is still putting out decent games(still need to pick up Star Ocean3), I'm pretty much satisfied with what there bringing out.

Vivid-Rein

Vivid-Rein

Brom's slave

I believe that "Squenix" is trying to finish up FF. In my opinion, FF had horrible games, and the entire series was a major turn off. After FF they are releasing Fantasy Earth, which is kinda like a FF spinoff i suppose... Maybe its just a new wave of entertainment because people are getting bored with FF. Seriously, how many Final Fantasy games can you have before getting bored and tired of it... I think SE is worried about more things, so they are dishing out anything they can just to make cash. Heres SE's Line up...

Radiata Stories-PS2
Kingdom Hearts 2-PS2
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories-GBA
DragonQuest VIII-PS2
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-PS2
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls- GBA
Egg Monster Heroes- Nintendo DS
Final Fantasy XII- PS2
Fantasy Earth: The Ring of Dominion- PC
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special- PS2
Front Mission Online-PS2/PC
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus-PSP

*Note* these do not go by release date, they go by the order i found them...

As you see, SE has a lot up its sleve... poor them...

"This will be our final battle..."
Signature

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

SquareEnix is trying to renew their fanbase with the fans of older games. That's why they're going back to the older games. I guess FF7 has the most re-marketing potential. I don't understand the other game, but I will would like to see Advent Children. When I look back on FF: The Spirits Within, it's missing something, but I can't put my finger on it.

Personally, they're running out of FF ideas. After 11 versions (and two FFX sequels), it's no big surprise to me. I think it's time to put the series to an end, but it is their biggest moneymaker.

Edit: Also, they're getting competition from other sources. And some pretty major competition at that. Games that Final Fantasy has overshadowed in the past are coming into their own now with sequels and other things. The video game market is turning away from Square. There's a few people I know who don't like Square anymore cos they won't release some games over here, and won't buy anything made by them anymore. I wonder how common that is now.

square died a long time ago when many famous names left and formed other companys

final fantasy 7 only big because at the time the FMV footage was all the rage and FF7 had plenty of it
it was like a mini movie, made lots of money for sqaure

they rushed out FF8 and then FF9 ( i mostly forget about this game due to how dull it it )

ffx was a work of art, for 1 time and FFX2 was a great piece of fun for 1 time

being stuck in a runt they resort back to FF7 to get "magazine" articles to hype things up again like back then .... but it wont be the same now days

square died after making chrono trigger and there likely to go bankrupt within 5 years

all the FF7 spins come from the new owner not knowing what to do ( no creative insight )

wanna

wanna

<{Ishbal Survivor}>

Quote by egnirysPersonally, they're running out of FF ideas. After 11 versions (and two FFX sequels), it's no big surprise to me. I think it's time to put the series to an end, but it is their biggest moneymaker.

What 11 versions do you mean, there are more you think there are... ^_^' ? i also don't know what 2 sequels you mean could you explain,
these are the versions i know:
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2 << 1st sequel
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII

other FF games: (not sure about these ones, you might not call them FF games, i don't know ^_^' )
Final Fantasy Legend I (GB)
Final Fantasy Legend II (GB)
Final Fantasy Legend III (GB)
Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Snes)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals (GC)
Final Fantasy: Tactics (GBA)
Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance (remake for GBA)
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus (psp) << 2nd sequel?

But this means they had a lot more "fantasies" in there mind then you thought :D ....but it looks like the gamers now and age just want better graphics and so it takes A LOT longer for the games to finally finish making,
i personally hope there will keep going and making a few FF games ^-^

Info Source

dans

dans

busy u_u

just wanted to give some info. :)
ff 3 and FF 6 are different. ( FF3 America is FF6 Japan )
there's an original FF3 ( Japan Version ).
and there's also sequel for FF6 but they cancelled it because they got problem with Nintendo.

Signature Image
"It's not the great who are strong. It's the strong who are great."
Latest Work : FMA - Reunited

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

11 versions was 1, 2 and 4 - 11, and Crystal Chronicles. I count that as an FF Game. The two sequels are FFX2 and FFX: Last Mission (not released in the US). Sorry if I confused you there. ^_^'

If it's one thing i wanna harass square-enix about is that they release subbed versions of FFX, ffx-2 and ffxii. I have no complaints about any of the final fantasies particularly after ffvii - I had fun playing them. And if Square-Enix are going downhill, then you just gotta realise that no one stays in the limelight forever.

wanna

wanna

<{Ishbal Survivor}>

Quote by dansjust wanted to give some info. :)
ff 3 and FF 6 are different. ( FF3 America is FF6 Japan )
there's an original FF3 ( Japan Version ).
and there's also sequel for FF6 but they cancelled it because they got problem with Nintendo.

Quote by egnirys11 versions was 1, 2 and 4 - 11, and Crystal Chronicles. I count that as an FF Game. The two sequels are FFX2 and FFX: Last Mission (not released in the US). Sorry if I confused you there. ^_^'

OK i think i understand you guys enough ^_^'

I don't understand how they would go bankrupt, there two companies now, they have other series that can make money(and new idea's too :P).

XlYesterdaYlX

愛我別走

who knows~~ what they really need to make is a FF8 spinoff. i like 8 the most ^^

"No, people. Let's be smart and bring it OFF."

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Quote by XlYesterdaYlXwho knows~~ what they really need to make is a FF8 spinoff. i like 8 the most ^^

Seconded. I was just saying to someone that I'm jealous that FF7 gets new artwork and FF8 gets none. 8 is clearly my favorite. -_-'

To me, each new final fantasy seems quite different from all the previous ones, so I guess that's why different people have different favorites. Personally, I like all of them ...so far.

wanna

wanna

<{Ishbal Survivor}>

Quote by egnirys

Quote by XlYesterdaYlXwho knows~~ what they really need to make is a FF8 spinoff. i like 8 the most ^^

Seconded. I was just saying to someone that I'm jealous that FF7 gets new artwork and FF8 gets none. 8 is clearly my favorite. -_-'

I personally like ff7 the most, especially cloud with his bustersword & sephiroth with his masamune (right?) i thought those weapons were awsome ^-^, i liked the gunblade also but not as much as the other 2 weapons :) and after that the weapons became less important it looked like...ffx for example, auron his sword was nice but the others were just balls, "normal" swords, fists, dolls & "summoning" rods....~.~ what do you guys think?

Domina

Domina

Doughnut

Somehow I doubt it has much to do with reeling in their older fans at all. I still think they're doing all this sequel work for one reason, primarily: money. ffx-2 might've been a risk at the time of its release, but ffvii is their cash cow. They're going to make a killing off of everything and anything ffvii.

Signature

Quote by DominaSomehow I doubt it has much to do with reeling in their older fans at
all. I still think they're doing all this sequel work for one reason,
primarily: money. ffx-2 might've been a risk at the time of its
release, but ffvii is their cash cow. They're going to make a killing
off of everything and anything ffvii.

Of course they are doing it for profit. They are a company. I have no problem with that though. If the games turn out bad, not as many people will play, and they will probably move on to something else.

Lana3007

Lana3007

strange little girl

I love Final Fantasy series and ffvii especially, but what SE is doing to it is over-kill. Seriously, one sequel like with FFX is alright. A movie is a great idea too, but three whole games and a movie. I hate repetetiveness more than anything and this is getting too much. They can make a whole new game with new story and new characters ... can't they?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.