Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 PC Cold Air Intake Project - Minitokyo

PC Cold Air Intake Project

page 1 of 1 7 total items

ericcarson

ericcarson

Anime Addict

I was getting frustrated with ,my efforts to overclock my AMD Athlon 64 3000+. Even minor overclocking was to muck for my high volume termaltake 12 solid copper heatsink. I really didnt want to get a liquid cooled system, that would weigh a ton, and be expensive as hell. Looking out my window, and seeing frost gave me an idea. why i have an unlimited suppy of cooled air at my disposal! right ouside! So here are the latest updates of my project.

11-22-04 11:51
I just got back from a trash run in a LMTV. Our unit is closing dowen so they are getting rid of most everything. I found about 12 feet of dryer duct, and some heavy duty poster paper. i want to run the duct to window and mask off the rest with the paper.
FORSEEN PROBLEMS:
1.) The tempature in the duct is well, lower than the ambient of my room. this can lead to condensation on the outside of the duct. Solution Well im gonna wrap it in a towel i guess. or somethin.

2.) The cold air flowing into the case, is well cooling the surrounding components as well, this could lead to a problem if the cold air was suddenly shut off, say the duct came out of the window and fell inside, condensation would form almost instanly on components. Solution Tape the shit outa it i suppose, or make sure the humidity in my room is low.

Well tell me waht you think! I hope this is an informative project!

http://www.rgf-network.com/forum/files/tube_pre_setup.jpg
Taken during the pre install. The duct is actually not sealed at all, it is just hung out the window and the other end is near the Case CPU intake fan. It seems convection alone pulls cold air down the duct since the intake is on the lower end. After approx 2 minutes the CPU dropped from ~101F to about ~83F with a room temp of 92F and outside temp of approx ~54F

- Your sourse for quality scans! 2000x3000 or greater!

Support our troops. I need a loan... LOL j/k

arkive

arkive

drifto touge all day...

dude that looks like the CAI i made for my first civic..hahah it was made outa pvc pipe and i used the oem air box to stick dry ice to make the air really cold now i see companies with the same set up charging money i was like i did that first but anyway looks cool but id watch the water thats gonna form if its cold outside ur are gonna have the heater on so that may be an issue too...

Absentmindederic

Just a Wanderer

Well, to help with the condensation, I'd suggest that you have the duct rise up into the case. Meaning, put the case higher than the where the duct meets the window. This will make it so that any condensation forming inside the duct will be forced back outside.

I'd also suggest that you have some sort of a filter somewhere on that duct. Preferably where the duct meets the window so you don't get large amounts of dust, leaves, etc being blown into your computer.

But btw, nice BMW case you have there

ericcarson

ericcarson

Anime Addict

well its night out and the test results are in. No condensation on the duct, i guess cause its like thin mylar, it tranfers geat well. before i hooke it up it was at ~98.7f now after like 5 minutes it now ~67f. no condensation unless im being goofy and breath on the duct... ill have MBM5 log the temps and make a graph about them.

valsimot

wingless

you could try taping some insulation around the duct. it should keep the duct from condensing and th air in the duct cold. just a sugestion, don't bite my head off it can't be done. :\

once a warrior for the cause,
now shamed and disgraced,
banished from my world,
wingless i walk this one...

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

http://minitokyo.net/upload/failed.jpg

Can't say i didn't try ... oh well back to the drawing board .. <grin>

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

ericcarson

ericcarson

Anime Addict

Hehe, but mine is cheap, total cost soo far, FREE!!!!! I even jacke the tape i used from my roomate!

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.