Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Should Winnie the Pooh be defined as "anime"?? - Minitokyo

Should Winnie the Pooh be defined as "anime"??

page 2 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 81 total items

I think we, as fans, should be able to accept that anime means animation. Its not that I do not now the anime many people refer too, its just that I'm informing people that anime isn't really the anime we think.

Yes, anime for us is japanese animation, but to japanese, anime IS animation.
Please don't flame me with this, I simply wanted to clarify some stuff...

Deedles

Deedles

doki doki

Pooh is cute... however I think the word anime should be used to refer solely to japanese animation that is directed to a slightly older audience. None of that pokemon/dragonballz crud...

.:.:.:.deedles.:.:.:.

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

well, no matter how stupid pokemon, dragonball, digimon and all those are... they're much more anime than pooh will ever be... heh...

Signature

At least some can accept the real meaning of the word "anime". This shouldn't be a topic to debate on, some people should at least accept these things.

I know that anime is a term for japanimation nowadays, like I said, I am just clarifying, people shouldn't be mad about it.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Designator

lol would never define winne the poh as anime :P like stated before cartoon is a more adequate description though. Not that there is anything wrong with Winnie the poh :)

"He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

winnie can go take a hike still.... anime is anime and winnie is winne, no more, no less... besides, it's our human nature to debate and criticize to get a common solution, and that's exactly what we do now....

but as for me, the only solution is that winnie might be an animation, but it sure ain't no anime nor manga, period.

Signature

Like I said, I'm just saying that the meaning of anime is really just animation. There was no japanese in the word except the ones who used it. Couldn't you guys just accept the fact that it was really intended to mean animation. Really, this is getting out of hand...

I feel like you guys aren't even reading my posts... all I'm saying is that if the real meaning of anime was to be used, YES, pooh is an anime. Now, whats so wrong about that?

Xandman, if you would argue about the real meaning of "anime", please research. Also, about the "nor manga" part, I would definitely agree to that, coz anime ain't manga, manga ain't anime. Though, some anime are adapted from manga vise-versa...

Please, I really don't want to debate about this, I think we could at least agree on the real meaning of anime?

It is also said in
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=anime&x=0&y=0
that anime needs to have japanese origin, but, this is an english dictionary, NOT, a japanese dictionary.

Here is a special dictionary for people like us...
http://reference.animeworld.com/glossary/index.php?a=term&d=2&t=1

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

then dont debate in this thread man... everyone here got their own opinions on what is anime and what is not, so let them believe what they want... besides, this is a public thread. Also, some people are used to anime being japanesque-style cartoons with special effects a little now and then, and people flying around, romance... and all those stuff. Not some disney-crap, man! Disney got their own brand, Japan got their own brand, no more, no less.

besides, i'm stating my opinion on this, not arguing... 'cause i know my thoughts about this won't change, and no... i'm not gonna do some trivial research about winnie the pooh... wth?

also, even though anime is short for animation, it isn't short for winnie the pooh. Man, people don't walk around the cinemas and when they see some posters on the Lion King or Shrek or anything Disneyish, they don't say... "let's go watch that anime!" ...it's almost a de-facto standard for anime to only apply to Japan brand cartoons.

Signature

This link (http://stuff.mit.edu/people/rei/Expl.html) goes into long detail on the subject, but the pertinent quote from it is "(Note that "anime" in Japan technically means any animated film, and "manga" is any printed cartoon, but people in the rest of the world take them to mean animated films or comics from Japan.)".

-benny

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

ah yes... and the pic on that site is not on winnie the pooh. Also, anime is originated from Japan, true true... but now, the word "anime" is from Japan isn't it? To be able to define animation. And now, the cartoons in Japan had far more difference by that time didn't it? I am sure as a steady rock, that the first anime-creator or manga-ka didn't drew winnie the pooh.

also... to quote from that site...
"First of all, though an outsider might think Japan "stole" comics from the West, this is not true. Japan has been making cartoonish art for a very long time..."

mhm, and they were the ones to bring up anime and not winnie the pooh. Also here.... even though anime and pooh might've been brought to see the daylight at the same time period, the first Pooh animated flick were released around 1977, but the first anime were brought to us around 1963.. anyway, here's something to read about...

http://www.just-pooh.com/history.html - History of pooh, not anime
http://www.animeinfo.org/animeu/hist101.html - History of anime, not pooh

yeah sure, the one to bring such a wonderful culture to our world might have gotten inspiration from Disney's characters Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse, but sure not Winnie the pooh. Also, the first mangas and animes got their own style of animation, with their astroboy, mechas and heroes/heroines and their own brand style, and sure not something like winnie the pooh.

i stand by that winnie is not anime, which anime to me is something related to japanesque or asian-style cartoons, disney got their own style, which is "traditional" cartoons. So, in an overall summary.... winnie isn't anime. Anime isn't winnie... ^_^

seems like i made a lil' research there, nothingspecial... hahaha.... XD

Signature

zpulse

zpulse

Who?

Alright, here's the clarification: the words "anime" & "manga" literally mean (respectively) "animation" & "comic book/strip" in the Japanese language, & that's exactly the way most of the japanese probably see it, whether it's a Japanimation or Japanese comix, but there is definitely a community, or rather a large population, in Japan, who believe (& have every right to) that anime & manga are words reserved for their country's anime & mangas, just as most people everywhere else around the world see it.

zpulse

zpulse

Who?

Alright, here's the clarification: the words "anime" & "manga" literally mean (respectively) "animation" & "comic book/strip" in the Japanese language, & that's exactly the way most of the japanese probably see it, whether it's a Japanimation or Japanese comix, but there is definitely a community, or rather a large population, in Japan, who believe (& have every right to) that anime & manga are words reserved for their country's anime & mangas, just as most people everywhere else around the world see it.

rory07

rory07

Cowabunga!

rofl winnie the pooh is awwwwwesome goooo piglet
but not sure dont think it sould be put in a anime catagory th style of art work is alot different
never the less very good question

o.O
how cAN winnie the pooh be considered an anime.
its i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e!!!

Keiichi-K1

Belldandy, my goddess

excuse me people i think this thread is begining to divert to a discussion of language technicalities. Bottom line is when we as fans hear the word anime we think of Japanese animation, i think we all accept that, lets lay the word technicalities to rest and get back on track shall we?

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

good point ^_^ ...i'm a little tired, so i got no energy left trying to explain again and again.... besides, what's the big deal, the subject read "should winnie the pooh be defined as anime", and the majority here says no, including me.... as simple as that =] ...so why burst into technical mambo jambo, when the answer is right in front of us ^_^

Signature

Ok, so heres the point xandman, you weren't reading enough...
First of all, I said "TECHNICALLY"
Probably, you didn't know what it meant cause you were debating without taking the word in your mind.
Now, if you really won't understand the next few lines in this post, I pitty you...
Technically means looking at the deeper side of the topic, for a better description: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=technically

Now, why go to the technical mambo jambo? Its like asking people why they have a name! Words have meanings, and some get changed, for the case of the word "anime", it has only been changed in english speaking countries.

Beeing a true fan of anime and japanese culture, I actually try to understand some of these words, you see, thats the problem, you stand while I walk.

And, for your reply to Benny, you were wrong, the topic was never Winnie the Pooh, it was asking us if Winnie the Pooh should be described as anime.

Please do understand what you read, saying "Winnie the Pooh is a poophead" doesn't solve anything, its simply like a spam message.

Thank you for reading this post, this will be my last post in this thread, you seem too hard headed for me...

ShindouShuichi

ShindouShuichi

I don't CARE about destiny.

Nah, Its not an Anime! I don't think so.. Its an animation though... I think america made it?

?___?

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

patron saint of doujinshi

Quote by KagutsuchiWhen using the term "anime" in an english speaking country, most people will assume you're talking about animation made in Japan. But Japanese people do refer to American cartoons as anime too.
i think it's really just a personal preference... most art can't truly be labelled anyway.

Yeah, I have to agree with you that Japanese people call cartoons "anime". However, I guess that let's just follow the common otaku consensus that anime's Japanese-cartoon-made and anything else's crap .... (hehe, joke)

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

maybe or maybe not, that's because it was created by western animation like disney.

The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog Near The Bank Of The River......

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

hahahahaha... nothingspecial...... the ones that doesn't let things go because they think that everyone's gonna believe what they believe.... is pitiful. I'm not sure if you'll be reading this.... but i don't mind, you handle your own business and i handle my own ok? Good.

As i said, the question of this thread's pretty simple, i won't requote the subject once again. Besides, the thread subject didn't read "what does the word 'anime' mean?", nevertheless, i am sure that the answer to this thread has already been answered over and over without adding a whole lot of technical mambo jambo.

and also, you gotta accept the fact that simple answers does actually exist on our world, not everything needs to be exploited to the last shard. As i said, the majority posting here thinks that winnie the pooh isn't "anime", they've shared their opinions. Let us drop this, and return to the subject.

also, you're correct, i'm headstrong because i am willing to stand for what i believe is my own rightful opinions. And yeah, I might stand, you might walk... but watch out for traps.... our world isn't flawless. So i guess i won't walk, but fly instead ^_^

Now, this won't be the last post here from me, because i wanna keep discussing this topic furthermore. I find it hilarious and interesting, haha... :P

Signature

Man, I can't keep my word! hahaha, I hate it when you think you are so right ^_^

Ok, first of all, its "simple answers actually DO exist IN our world" haha, but this ain't an english class after all...

Ok, since your so hard headed, I want to debate with you more on this subject matter.
So, the topic was asking us wether Pooh was an Anime or not... Saying the definition of anime would help answer the question, saying that Pooh is a shithead won't.

Also, yes, there are simple answers in this world, but some prefer to know more about this world, like me. To know more about this world, you can't always rely on simple answers. (But lets not go offtopic with this statement!)

xandman, will you please tell me what was so wrong about my first post in this thread that lead you into debating with me? I just said that (technically) Pooh is an anime. It is true, you can't deny it! All you can say is that we shouldn't go to the technical aspects, but is there anything wrong with going through these aspects? Nope.

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

in, on... you got my point... besides... i'm not an american nor am i an english guy, but i am sure that my english is good enough. Besides, i'm pretty sure that you're not flawless yourself ^_^ ...and now, with simple psychology, i've learnt that most people feeling threatened by others, usually twists the subject and starts to point out weaknessess or flaws in language or anything available. In your point... my flaw with the grammar ^_^ ...threatened?

oh, oh.... let me see.... let me requote what you just said.... "Thank you for reading this post, this will be my last post in this thread, you seem too hard headed for me..." ...not much of a man of your words now yeah? ^_^ hahaha... I feel that i've achieved pretty much by affecting you this much on such a trivial topic.

mhm, indeed.... winnie the poophead is not anime to me. Keyword "to me". What others think about winnie being anime or not is their own opinions, respecting that is divine. I respect that, but as everyone else i do have my opinions on that now don't i? ^_^ Indeed i do.

and yeah, simple answers are mostly the correct ones according to Occam's Razor. And so i believe. But see, you are not me, and i am not you. Therefore we walk different paths, but also... if you want to research more on this subject, why don't you search the net for more reliable sources hm? But if you want a piece of advice.... trying to find the answer isn't necessary due to the fact that the subject of this thread reads "Should Winnie the Pooh be defined as 'anime'??" and thus, it calls for public opinions.

wrong? Hahahahaha.... Nothing was wrong with your post mate... and there was nothing wrong with my post as well, considering it contained about 3 - 4 lines of my own opinions directed towards everyone. I'm not denying anything, but i don't really get why we even began to debate on this. Besides, i said the answers could be simple and that we shouldn't burst into technical mambo jambo, if you want to explain about anime and winnie the pooh into the deepest, then please be my guest, make your own thread and define. I don't think the people here wants to read about us debating about such a trivial thing.... taking up space, because this is considered spam. And i'm not gonna spam, i'm only clarifying.

So read the previous posts, and see why this was necessary, 'cause i don't think it was.
Besides... i think anyone would agree with me that you were the one to start this debate with your first long post from the previous page ^_^ And that's all for me, have a nice day! I'm kickass superguy Xan the madman! *bows*

Signature

Keiichi-K1

Belldandy, my goddess

Gosh, who would have thought that a simple bear named Pooh was the reason for such a long debate :D
In this post, i say again, Winnie the pooh is not anime. As a matter of fact i don't believe it makes a good pre-schooler's cartoon either with all its intentional mispellings like "Hunny" and writing letters backwards etc. Some innocent child mind is going to think honey is spelt "h-u-n-n-y" some parental guidance is advised hehehe ^_^'

page 2 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 81 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.