Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Destroyed by Desk "DEATH" Star !!! XD - Minitokyo

Destroyed by Desk "DEATH" Star !!! XD

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Frosty

Frosty

: One Luv :

OMG! I cannot believe what happen, even through I been warned but Still I cannot believe it happen on the worst possible time !!!! :angry:

Well for all of you computer guys you may hear of how wacky the last of the IBM Desk"DEATH" Star Hard Drives are so I guess to make a long story short, My HD crashed but of all the time, it had to crash when I just finished my mid-term paper and to make it worst I didn't have a chance to backup anything in my HD so I lost everything from some of my papers to some photoshop files to my mp3 EVERYTHING!!! -_- oh boy.... I manage to redo my paper in time somehow but this was a hard lesson to always backup stuff.... >_<

The avg. life for this IBM "Death"star HD from what I hear from somone was about or less than a year, I manage to to use this HD for about 3 yrs so I guess I'm one of the lucky one... but luck finally runs out. ><

Does anyone have a simliar experience with their HD. If so care to share some story about it. Better yet, If you owned a "Death"star HD in the past, care to tell us how long did your HD lasted or still manage to kept it running. :hmpf:

Signature

God...that's bad. @.@;

Unfortuanately, this happened to me too. It wasn't IBM's fault but a virus (is was really crazy) was in my cousin's HD. It wiped out all his info and my dad was trying to fix it. Once he placed it in his com, he saw nothing. He took it out and placed his HD in there and saw that his HD was empty too. This virus probably stores inside one of the com parts or something, oh well. That com was thrown away.

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

sorry to hear that, frosty -_-
me have same bad experience like u
my 40 gb seagate hd blew out, 2 months ago
and my work, wall,mp3,video .....lost
puff just like that
glad i get the replacement >.<
but yeah bad experience

anyone know what type of hd that most stable and reliable around ?

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

woah... that really sucks.. never had any serious problem like that x.X;; thank god too...
Never used a Death star HD.. I have Western Digital, works just fine.

IDontHaveAName

IDontHaveAName

Disciple of the Mind

I have a Western Digital HD myself (120 GB, but actually has 114 GB) and it rocks. If you are getting a rather large HD though that has 200 GB or more storage capacity, I would recommend a Seagate HD. Both the Western Digital and the Seagate have similar performance, but I have heard people say the larger Western Digital hard drives are obscenely loud, while the Seagate hard drives are very quiet. I haven't had the time or money to test this though, so I would take that last piece of advice with a grain of salt.

You think that because I don't carry a weapon that I am helpless. I have no need for one. I possess skills that you can never comprehend....

After all, when your mind is a weapon of mass destruction, who needs something as weak as a gun?

Seagates are usually the best drives. I still own Seagates that I can;t use... they're just to tiny to be usable. Maxtors are just as good, if not better. Western Digitals, well I don't have any becuase they all broke. Never had an IBM (or maybe I did and that broke too :P)

ANyway, a typical HD should have a 3 year Manufacture warrenty. That's standard. If it doesn't, go find something else.

It is possible for a HD to go out in the 1st year. However, all HD are spun in the factory for about 24-48 hours before shippment.. ANy bad apples will be weeded out here. However, there is a small percentage that will die with the first 3 months. So I usually leave my computer on for that long to test. After 3 months, your scott free.

I had a Bigfoot HD one time I just bought and it died right away. It started producing bad sectors left and right. It took me a week to figure it out.

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

Athrun

Athrun

Flying Chain Chomp

Well I've downloaded tons of mp3s back in the Napster days. When a trojan got in I had to completely restore the PC to its original state losing all the rare mp3s... t____t

but it's not exactly a hard drive error...

Still buying pokemon cards?
My Ebay!
Don't miss out on very rare stuff! *Japanese Shiny Krookodile*, Full Art Ho-oh EX and Elesa deck sleeves! Very hard to find and very expensive from Japanese sellers! Get them while they're at a low cost! Ending very soon!

tuxedotservo

tuxedotservo

-- gone and very much forgotten

I've heard of issues with this particular drive, but mine has been booming along for about 3 years and hasn't even gotten "noisy" yet (you know the drill - bearings start to go, drive sounds like metal on metal sanding is going on)..

I think that every drive maker, at some point, has had bad batches of drives. There was a time I wouldn't touch a Maxtor if you bought the drive for me. I guess they're OK now. Connor was the worst - until Seagate bought them and killed the line (thank you, Seagate!).

The only thing you can really do is make frequent backups of things that are important to you. If you have a DVD burner, that's an easy way to go about it.

--
tuxedotservo
Palpatine for Emperor - Why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Dancing to the beat of a different drummer, and it's not pretty.

Used to have the "Death" Star too. It lasted for 2 years b4 making weird clicking noises. I figured I had to get it replaced fast, b4 it died on me.
So I got me a Maxtor HDD, the one with fluid bearings that's supposed to be quieter. But lo and behold, it only lasted a year before it died... even worse than the IBM. Really pissed me off to.

Backing up data is a chore... one of these days I may go raid. saves a lot of trouble imho.

Signature

dustin

dustin

Gem Stone

Funny thing at IBM is that their brand pc, IBM Aptiva, used Maxtor HDD in year -98 instead of ibm deathstar hdd.. talking about trusting your own made hdd's.. i guess IBM doesnt trust them ^_^'

I lost an IBM hard drive a while ago, but was able to spot it failing in time to copy my stuff off of it. I also once bought a western digital which was DOA :/
Now all my drives are Seagate and Maxtor with one Hitachi.
And, of course an old IBM drive I bought back when they were good drives (a 340*m*b one!)

Sorry to hear that Frosty.

Yep, IBM used to be the top player in HD until the "death" Star series.
I have read a very long discussion somewhere of how people being screw by IBM "death" Star.
After a lot of complains and returns, IBM actually claim that those HDs is not for 7/24 use.

I never own an IBM HD, my first computer(a dell) had a Maxtor HDin it. It's extrememly loud.
The latest HD I have is a WD.

It sound like if you're a "death" Star owner, raid1 array is a must.

I have had a ibm 60gxp and a few 75gxps and i have a 180gxp.. the 60 lasted a few years and then i had to take it off this summer because i startd seeing file corruption, all the 75s ended up being replaced (got the 180 thats in here out of that) the 180 gxp im kind of afraid of but it seems to be ok... doesnt sound the best but i dont have any drive with enough free space to backup onto.. my wd1200jb i had replaced once because all the stuff with the ibm drives has gotten me into a paranoid habit of RMAing all my hard drives every few months. I'd have to agree that seagate probably has the best reliability record, as well as a standard 5 year warranty now. Their sata and pata drives may not be the fastest but theyre the quiestest at the moment (the 7200.7s at least) and the warranty makes it worthwhile. actually theyre not anywhere near slow either

I recommend the Seagates. Very quiet and no problems so far. They are also cheaper than the Western Digitals.

i have had all kinds of drives fail on me

western digital x2
fujitsu x2
ibm x1
maxtor x1
seagate x1
quantum x4 ..ugh

probably the only manufactuer that hasnt failed on my is samsung's drives, because i never owned one ^^

but they make good ones.

right now i have 2 WD drives, 80gb and 160gb, fixing to buy a raptor.

i buy the WD because it was pretty much the cheapest and had the 8MB cache.

really nowadays, you cant go wrong with what you buy. the manufactuers of the notorious HD's are out of the HD biz now, like fujitsu and quantum's line (bought by maxtor i believe), are long gone.

really its just luck of the draw nowadays. get the cheapest one i say, or if you like the silent PC thing go for the seagates or samsungs. they are exceptionally quiet.

you can tell that i dont care because im running 2 wd's already and fixing to add a raptor :p

edit: btw it totally sucks losing all your precious stuff. even though i have a minimal portion of things that i consider "precious", i do backups, make sure to span it across both of my discs, and most importantly burn it to optical media (CD/DVD). burning onto good quality optical media will definately outlast your HDD for years to come.

white-zero

white-zero

Left this part of the universe.

I got a Maxtor 20 GB 3 years ago and it still running like a charm. :)

All my Hard Drives are IBM DeskStars (rather they're known more as Hitachi now) and I've been using them vor roughly 10 years or so and have had no issues with them other than a 5 year old hard drive finally failing...but I expect that from a hard drive that's pretty much been running for 5 years roughly 24hrs a day and I would have to say atleast 330 days out of the year.

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.