Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why aren't png images allowed? - Minitokyo

Why aren't png images allowed?

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

I was wondering why we can not upload scans that are in png. I know that some images are better compressed in jpeg, but there are times where png is really handy. Especially if the scan has a solid color background or it's vector artwork.

Signature Image

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Based on the discussion from this thread in the art/design forum I think the general consensus is that while PNG is indeed a good image format, it does not enjoy the universal support of jpeg (which many agree is unfortunate). Sheqel also mentions that PNGs tend to be larger than JPGs. I think this is due to compression issues (ie Photoshop has rather shoddy PNG compression support, requiring the use of plug-ins like superPNG).

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Yeah, I read that thread before I posted. However, as for scans and artwork, there are times when it is better to post in png than jpeg (in my opinion). I guess you can't trust people to make intelligent decisions on what to use...

Signature Image

irix

irix

quam sidera multa, cum tacet nox

if you said something like that!!! why not use the format jpeg2000, that's a great compression format, and the different plug's made a ideal format!!! [i'm know that many servers don't support this, but maybe we can try!!! :P]

rayearth

rayearth

[ The Real Gouf ]

what about vector images? it only supported in png, and it's a bit waste if someone has to convert it to jpg first.

Jinzhou

Retired Moderator

Jinzhou

Forsaken God

Have you ever seen the filesize of a PNG? They can get very freakin' big, especially because they save the artifacts of a picture better than a jpg. Plus, PNG's take a long time to open. And besides, if you're saving something as a PNG it should be easy enough to switch it to jpeg-- so you really have no reason to be like "I need my PNG formats~~~"

Jpeg is just a LOT easier.

Signature
Yes, I am god. Infallibility at its greatest.

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Quote by JinzhouHave you ever seen the filesize of a PNG? They can get very freakin'
big, especially because they save the artifacts of a picture better
than a jpg. Plus, PNG's take a long time to open.

Photos don't get compressed well by png, but vector stuff does. It's not for everything, but there are times when it's really nice. They take long to open? I did some playing around and found that if they are slower, it's not perceptible by a human (opening files in PS).

Maybe you guys are misunderstanding me here. I'm not advocating uploading tons of stuff in png, but rather those few things that fit the capabilities of png better (few for a wall/scan site). I'm surprised at the adamant resistance to the thought of merely allowing them on the site. I guess I must have missed some incident besides the jpeg vs png technical merits thread.

Signature Image

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

I don't know if the number of PNG users is enough to warrent changing the system. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to regulate PNG to only certain submission types, but it may be a bit tricky to regulate.
That's why I run my own gallery site where all my vectors are PNG. :p

It all comes down to PNG as unapproved standard, therefore it's treated like this. It's probably pointless to even attempt a struggle for personal preferences.

Katzbalger

Katzbalger

Managment Fun

Here's my 2 cents. PNGs are huge. I save PNGs of all my wallpapers, most peak over 20Mb. I save them to jpeg for MT, and they never go over 500kb. That's a huge and not to mention convienient difference.

As for scans, using stock scans and extracting them from here, means that you have at least put some effort into your wallpaper. Also, over time, your extracting skills will improve dramaticly. I have never once used a PNG image for my walls.

All in all, it's up to Sheq. If Sheq says no, then no PNGs. Personally, seeing as the max image size is 3Mb, PNGs will never be a part of MT.

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

Using PNG to post wallpapers is indeed a very very bad idea, they can get big for no real excuse since high quality JPG can do the same work without the huge file sizes.

however, a transparent PNG section with size limitations so only HG images ready-to-wall sizes are allowed is actually a good idea. Maxing out to 1600x1200 transparent images (keep in mind ready-to-use, so no need for bigger images), only 1 layers and only a extracted character image, the PNG filesize will hardly be higher than 2 Mb ... and I've seen some JPG scans with 5Mb posted so the size issue is hardly a valid argument here if we limit file dimension to 1600x1200

This area would need to be moderated so only good images, ready-to-wall, are posted. If we have a transparent PNG section with extracted images, walllers would be given an awesome help on walling, just choose and use, no need to extract, which can be quite annoying specially if you are eager to start your art =D

Signature
Extensive quality reviews and some wall/scans, visit!
http://www.daisuki.com.br

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.