Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Work Group on Minitokyo Virtual Working Paper/s - Minitokyo

Work Group on Minitokyo Virtual Working Paper/s

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

Okay guys and gals, everyone, please don't run away right now, i know this thread is kinda huge, but it is very interesting, and trying to make you react and therefore improve MT community and life.
Well as a representative of the Order-of-Reason, i'd like to introduce the "how this project came to life", by combining all the posts that have been made in the Order GB, so you get a clear (more or less) idea of what the goal of this thread. Please keep in mind that this project is huge, and this only a 'preprint', because we agreed that it would have to be splitted into multiple threads to be effective.
After that, i'll make a quick summary for all those who're lazy to read all this.
We will first try talk about the questions, topics or issues that we want to raise. That is called 'framing the discussion' or setting the scope and limitations of the paper/s.

Quote by charaznableamurorei (brace yourselves for a Yomiko Verbosity Attacku... sorry again if I am being too imposing or dominating, or if I imposed too much on miketto's post ...)
This idea was inspired by some whispers that I've seen in threads/GB posts (now enhanced with the recent moves of mods to close down Game threads and the current campaign to ensure quality of submissions for the site)... I know the admonition, "If you don't like the rules, then leave", but I just feel that as fellow members of this online community (which we all love!), we as responsible and MT-loving addicts have to seriously address these sentiments -- let them out into the open and seek solutions/alternatives if need be, however passe or these may seem. I just don't feel that "The mods have spoken!" or "Obey the rules or perish!" is the end-all and be-all of solutions, however rational the reasoning that the MT mods/admin have the final say and ruling on the matter. I just feel that sometimes when one enforces the rules too much, all one gets is more resistance, and even the one who accomplishes the enforcement becomes corrupted or loses a part of their humanity (so to speak) in a way. Also, sometimes I feel that technical measures in order to prevent 'user/member abuse' just doesn't work; heck, the IMF/World Bank (offline world) recommends lots of "technical, structural adjustment programs" in many poor countries in order to fix their economies, but these technical measures only promote more poverty and do more harm than good! It doesn't hurt to "look in the mirror" sometimes -- "reflection" as a valid and potent analytical tool. I know that there is a Suggestions & Complaints section that is already provided for these types of rants/complaints, but I somehow sense that that section only provides release (?), and, sometimes, leaves hurt feelings. (well, some argue "Get over it!", but that's very insensitive and impersonal.)
Minitokyo claims to be a "community", and I believe that something has to be done in order to promote or enhance that "community" because we love it to death. ^_^

I propose that we (or, if appropriate, someone else) initiate a "virtual working paper" on a thread or even here that will attempt to analyze the various trends and relationships among the various types of members/groups/cliques in MT and synthesize/collate/bring together facts, opinions and perceptions. It will be like a sort of social research. This paper will aim to synthesize or gather together the various experiences/solutions/problems in MT. Of course, that would mean identifying who the 'actors/players/stakeholders' in MT are: you have MT member (here we have lots of sub-types), artist, mods/admin, leecher, etc.

a lot of questions, hopefully, will be posed and, hopefully, answered in the "virtual working paper". Here are just some examples that popped out of my head:
(1) What are the roles MT members/mods/admin generally play in MT?
(2) What are the major problems plaguing MT right now? Either 'perceived' or 'real'? Technical or social?
(3) What are the reasons why people come here and stay in Minitokyo?
(this particular question already breeds a lot of sub-questions...) Do these reasons reflect in the actions that these people undertake in MT?
(4) Do the majority of people participate in the various going-ons of MT, or are they primarily just here for the scans/walls? Is this "leecher" tendency necessarily detrimental to the community?
(5) Are some cliques/groups/members being alienated or isolated - is this perceived or a direct-indirect kind? Why?
(6) What are MT members/groups/mods' initiatives in improving MT? Technical-wise and social-wise? (By improving MT, I believe that one does not only mean 'cleaning up clutter/spam' or implementing technical measures, but it also means 'increased participation/communication/understanding through projects, collabs [social measures]', etc.) Are these technical and social initiatives working?
(7) Are there gaps in the community that need to be addressed?
Hopefully, during the course of the working "virtual paper", we can detect/quantify/qualify tendencies and patterns that may be helpful not only to the mods/admin, but also insightful to ourselves as well. "To know oneself," in essense. A romantik description of this endeavor is that "we attempt to look into the mirror which reflects who or what we are, and see for ourselves the flaws and merits we have, and seek to promote our merits, and do something about our flaws." The important thing about this "virtual working paper" is that it might serve as a cumulative guide and might better understand why this group/clique/trend behaves likes this, etc.

Also, it might be a way of building bridges or strengthening links among the community. Oh! Think of this as the 'empirical', 'analytical' version of the doujinshi contest I proposed a while back! ^_^
Here are some trends in MT that are pretty much interesting, to give some ideas: (at least, what I observed so far....)
i think that there is a developing trend that some responsibilities officially designated to the mods/admin are actually being "devolved", consciously or unconsciously, to the othe sections in MT. Many, I feel, are so concerned with the various problems of MT that they are offering various solutions, like regularly posting suggestions to the forums. The Chaos Cross patrol is commendable for actually helping out the mods/admin in maintaining the site by cleaning the forums and advising new members. I've seen many MT members who are acting on their own/indidually to remind noobs to read the Noob Bibles and Help threads before plunging into the galleries/forums. Even the 'seemingly-marginalized' sections of MT like the Hispanime group are making their own efforts by translating the FAQs into their vernacular Spanish in order to deepen understanding and, hopefully, promote cooperation/community building. Also, there are pretty helpful groups that have recently sprung up that have the potential to be "social measures/solutions" to the wallpaper deletion problem: check out & support the MTNoobClub!!!
Other trend is the tendency of MT mods/concerned members to always undertake/suggest "technical solutions" to problems. Re: wallpaper deletion. While the mods cannot be discounted or questioned for their decisions which wall is done with/without effort, one has to understand the pain of knowing that your artwork was rejected. That, I feel, is the problem of applying "technical solutions" to problems of a social nature. That is why I feel that groups such as the MTNoobClub group just might be a good "social solution" to a "social problem".
Umm, I'm not sure if this is the right group to present this proposal (haha, me into Yukinon mode again)... but I'd really love to hear the opinions of people on this proposal, if it is worth undertaking or anything. Anyway, we have lots of 'empiricists' and more senior MT members (who might be able to contribute factual, concrete observations) on board in Order of Reason, so for them, this type of research might be exciting. I offer this proposal as a challenge of sorts. ^_^

Quote by shinsengumiHowever, embarking upon such a project would help further the intellectual aims of the group while providing for something that is of tangible benefit to the greater Minitokyo community, and thus I think that the idea in itself is a very interesting one that should be seriously considered.

Quote: Hopefully, during the course of the working "virtual paper", we can detect/quantify/qualify tendencies and patterns that may be helpful not only to the mods/admin, but also insightful to ourselves as well. "To know oneself," in essense. . . The important thing about this "virtual working paper" is that it might serve as a cumulative guide and might better understand why this group/clique/trend behaves likes this, etc.

That's an ambitious goal, and a good way to tie it back to the group.
This is a very interesting notion that I've really never considered before. On the one hand, I can see why it may not make sense to apply a technical solution to a social problem, but in the context of Minitokyo, technology provides the foundations upon which everything else exists, and thus the technical problems may be the root causes for the social issues. At the very least, it's definitely something we can discuss and debate, and if we do some research and observation, it may be a question that we may be able to eventually answer.
In a nutshell, I think it's a good idea and would personally be interested in helping out on such an ambitious and intellectually rewarding endeavor. If there's enough interest, I don't see why we couldn't (or shouldn't) try to get this project going.

Quote by SWPIGWANGOMG, charaznableamurorei attacku stronngggg!!!!111!1
since I don't oppose statistics, especially when I'm not doing the collecting but can trace though the methology and data if need....

Quote: (2) What are the major problems plaguing MT right now? Either 'perceived' or 'real'? Technical or social?

Social: Repeat threads, probably due to high n00b influx compared to some other forums.
Technical: maybe it is just me, but I can't post replies to reviews.

Quote: (3) What are the reasons why people come here and stay in Minitokyo?
(this particular question already breeds a lot of sub-questions...) Do these reasons reflect in the actions that these people undertake in MT?

Well, I started out here since I want to leech the nice scans.... bleh....but finding people to talk to is a nice bounse. I guess we need a poll......

Quote: (4) Do the majority of people participate in the various going-ons of MT, or are they primarily just here for the scans/walls? Is this "leecher" tendency necessarily detrimental to the community?

We need polls for this sort of stuff.....but note that leechers probably won't reply to them resulting in distorted results. As for "leecher" harm, I guess the spam they bring in could be annoying, but they also do bring in new influxes of people that could freshen up debates and become long lasting members. Maybe a leech-post ratio statistic would help.

Quote: (5) Are some cliques/groups/members being alienated or isolated - is this perceived or a direct-indirect kind? Why?

MT doesn't seem to be any different from most other online communities. Any alienation probably stems from lack of certain types of topics to draw the lurkers out into a group.

Quote: Also, sometimes I feel that technical measures in order to prevent 'user/member abuse' just doesn't work;

It works well enough, if just isn't perfect. Flood control works, IP banning known destructive posters work, and any functional site uses them, but it can't solve everything.
--------------------------------------------
There is one problem that haven't been completely addressed here however, and is that what kind of community do we really want here? After all different places have different dyanmics and sense of community, as some are founded by endless battles between trolls, others are founded upon common ideology and a sense of prosecution from the outside (especially true for forums of issue-based websites) and there are those that revolves around a few members-gods of forums controlling most of discussion though either wisdom, longevity, force of will or mod powers, and there are those that live on random posts from a glancing population. There are places I've seen where people are all completely nice with each other (certain girl forums...) and there are those that people do flaming as spot. There are places where discussion involves uncritical sharing of individual feelings, and there are those that thrive on slamming people down with inpersonal logic.
So what is demanded here, if there is any demand to start with?
or maybe I've been reading the flamewarrior website too much?

Quote by charaznableamuroreiSecond issue: Proposal re: Virtual Working Paper (it's somewhere at the bottom of the GB)
Hikarujm-friend and jasmine-friend (from Hispanime and an Elite Member, respectively) have also expressed interest in the proposal via this thread: http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/13646/ .
So, anyway, I do not know; since if we are working via 'consensus' here, then would it be safe to assume that since there is lack of interest in the proposal, it goes out the window? If we vote on it, I don't know either if that would reflect all the sentiments of the Order's members. charaznableamurorei
(or for the benefit of your tired fingers: chararadadasd, char-chan, rei-chan, or Yomiko )

Quote by Mordin

Quote by charaznableamuroreiProbably the main question that needs to be tackled is, "Is Order-of-Reason" the proper forum for this proposal?" I would love to know if people in Order are willing to undertake the proposal/project or not.

That is a very ambitious project you propsed there Yomiko. First thing you have to deal with is apathy, second do you want an uniform effort or just people do inputs to the master director of the project. Once you go those things iron out, I believe the Odder is the perfect forum for you to spread the agenda. Just the fact the mt is predominately for anime related stuff doesn't mean the community can't have a social conscious. It is very important for you to state the thesis and the boundary of the project as it deals with social values might create undue conflict.
If everything goes right, this project would be an important step toward the goal of the Order. It would also involve members that are previously indifference toward this type of issues.

Quote by RevueKeh, I call for a quasi-Inquisition in S&C; that place is full of snobby, get-over-it posts. Those posts, my friends, can be considered spam: they are irrelevant, not helpful and highly annoying.
Rants aside, I’m sooo right behind you, Yomiko. This might result in a very potent wake-up call for both members and mods of MT and it might somehow ease the growing tension between the two said parties. People tend to ignore the questions you raised and rarely realize that these merit more discussion than, say, what we ate for breakfast. Yet though MT is filled with all sorts of characters, ranging from leechers to die-hard posters, a lot of members are still willing tackle those issues. So yeah, this study will gain support from different “sectors� of MT; one need not be a genius to foresee the benefits members and mods alike could reap from this undertaking.

Quote by kimifoxI think that one of the most interesting aspects of MT is the ability to "network" - you find people you think are cool, add them to your friends list, and that makes navigating the tons and tons of posts a bit easier because presumably the people you think are interesting will keep on being interesting when they make posts and submit scans or art. The groups achieve this to some extent - when I'm looking for posts I want to read, I hit this group page first. The Groups page is a bit scary, too, from a sheer amount of data standpoint. What do you think about a post that asks "Tell us the most interesting post/s in the groups you belong to"? That would give prospective groupies (*giggle*) a perspective that may say more about the actual construction of the group than the description can. Asking people what the most popular post in the groups they belong to might be interesting as well.

Quote by MordinHey Kimi oneichan, that is very interesting idea you post there. The aspect that you describe are very true in mt's networking, the friendlist just make mt more user friendly in terms of locating people of similar interest. Analogy for that is it makes mt less of a country more of a small town. I would also like to see a some type of polling data to gather Yomiko's idea, so we could isolate our goal one step at a time.

Quote by DeusIthIn math, there's always the idea of spliting the problem to solve into smaller problems, until atomic ones appear, and then tackle each one to eventyally get a solution to the problem. I think Yomiko's idea can be (and must be) splited in many different threads and then, as the communty responds to them, we, as the "intelectual" group of MT, will analyze the results and then come up with a PDF explaining everything

Okay so here come the SUMMARY. "virtual working paper" on a thread or even here that will attempt to analyze the various trends and relationships among the various types of members/groups/cliques in MT and synthesize/collate/bring together facts, opinions and perceptions. It will be like a sort of social research. This paper will aim to synthesize or gather together the various experiences/solutions/problems in MT. Of course, that would mean identifying who the 'actors/players/stakeholders' in MT are: you have MT member (here we have lots of sub-types), artist, mods/admin, leecher, etc.
Basically, this means that with everyone’s help, we’ll create something like a ‘social thermometer’ here on MT, focusing on the problems (not technicall problems, these are dealt with in the help / tech lounge) that we feel are important in the community. So this is only an introduction thread to the project, which will later have to be split into multiple threads.

Brought to you by Order-of-Reason
Original idea by charaznableamurorei
Supported by Hispanime
Thanks to ratkin45, shinsengumi the boss, mordin, kimifox, revue,
knight-of-lain, swpigwang, DeusIth, Danal
Bowing very low to biriwilg fro making this thread a red dot one. Thx a lot, i think this will help a lot.

Please everyone, go through the trouble of reading all this one day. And then for your reactions, i don't want things like *oh good idea, sounds great* etc......... and then leave. What i want, as the representative of the Order, is contructive debate that will help the mods and every member to improve the life of MT.
Thanks again to everyone, and have fun.

And here are thread that we think should be interesting, debating problems about walls, behaviour on MT and other various subjects

insanely long sig
nice walls finish last

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

As charaznableamurorei stated, Minitokyo is a community. Members should be able to pitch in and help each other and the moderators. Although the moderators have a big responsibility in maintaining the order of this site, we have a responsibility as well. Of course, as the members we are, we would like to have fun, but our fun, according to the moderators, can only go to a certain extent, as they have the full authority of the site and can decide what will benefit the members of Minitokyo and what will impose problems on the members of Minitokyo.

Personally, I wouldn't consider Minitokyo a community in which members can only have fun, but I would also consider Minitokyo a learning experience. There are different lessons we learn on this site from each other. Before you think about doing something in the real world, members here can tell you if doing that something is worth getting into trouble or not. It would also be a good idea to, instead of trying to always look for fun, help in the debates. The debates we have on Minitokyo serve as a purpose to prepare members for what they could experience in the future. As I previously stated, Minitokyo is a learning experience. To enforce constructive debate would help all the members acquire knowledge about life in the "real" world.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

kimifox

kimifox

dysfunctional idealist

I think that if we write well-phrased topics, the work will do itself. I was just poking around in the fourms, and I've already found two threads that may contain info we'd want for this project. I'm going to dump links to them in this post so they'll be easier to find again...

Nice Walls Finish Last - by Celessa
What's interesting about this one (aside from the fact that the topic's interesting and it has a nice poll) is that people discuss the Friends List to Wallpaper Favorite dynamic. (If someone who posts a wall is the friend of a lot of people, that wall is more likely to be seen, which increases the chances of it being commented on and +fav)

Insanely Long Signatures - by outofphase
I think this one is interesting because if someone is asked to trim down their sig and wonders why, the opinions of people in this thread may alleviate angst against the mods. That is, the thread shows that regular ol' members (our peers) identified it as a problem.
bucket-shot started a similar thread, as noted in outofphases' thread: suggestion: max sig length - by bucket-shot

I have got to get back to work now. :sweat:

But one more thing - what do you think about brainstorming topics we'd want to analyze the results of and listing existing ones that may be useful in this thread? Maybe if we get a more concrete handle on exactly what we're interested in researching, it'll be easier to subdivide this thread, which will move the process along...

Signature
[url="http://groups.minitokyo.net/forcefirefox/"]Force Firefox[/url] The Fox Loves You. Love the Fox.
[url="http://groups.minitokyo.net/order-of-reason/"]Order-of-Reason[/url]

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

One thing I want to point out before we go any further in this is that I would like people to read the posts above you before you post your valuable opinion. I know when people has an opinion they feel the need to express it as soon as possible, but reading other people's view can contribute to the formulation of how you are going to frame your ideas. It is critical that we add to the project instead of subtracting it. I think since this is a working paper not a "What do you like thread", it would be a major pain if people start repeating what everyones said before them and it will eventually turn this project into a spam of information. An example would be:
Person A: Today's sky is so sunny.
Person B: Then we can go to that field trip without worries of rain.
Person C: Today's sky is so sunny.
It is ok to have couple of these, but once we get a mountain of similar things repeating because people don't read the posts then we are moving backward in our anaylsis instead of forward.

I think you guys get my point. Some of you should have seen those patterns in other threads where a reptititon of information has turn those thread inot unnecessary long thread. We shouldn't allow that here, because as this is a virtual paper, any misdirection would take us a while to filter out and get the focus back on track. I know it would fall on some's deaf ear, but I just want people need to treat this not as a ranting forum but a construtive anaylsis of the dynamics of mt's cutlure and counterculture. This is also ensure that everyone's opinion is counted and listen to.

Another thing I want to raise is that people should respect everyone else's opinion, no matter how much you think they are wrong. You can disagree in a civilize manner in debate to express your view. I don't wish this project become another one of those rants we famously have before. Remember our goal, it is a project of virtual paper, not a forum for venting your frustration, it is for reasonable dicussion of your ideas. I think I would speak for everyone here that we expect a certain degree of professionalism in which you contributed to the project. One thing I want to make clear here, is that everyone's contribution must be equally weight!!! Don't give the elites an automatic free pass because they are the elites of mt. It is question of fairness, and since I don't live in a society of nobles, neither should members of mt. I think once we begin, and the rules are followed, then we will have begun a new phase of mt history. We do want to continue to make a thriving community.

Quote by kimifoxBut one more thing - what do you think about brainstorming topics we'd want to analyze the results of and listing existing ones that may be useful in this thread? Maybe if we get a more concrete handle on exactly what we're interested in researching, it'll be easier to subdivide this thread, which will move the process along...

That is a great idea kimi oneichan, it should help us organized our thesis. That would help sort out the confusion and the amount of work new people had to work to catch up to the project's progression.

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

patron saint of doujinshi

Quote by kimifoxI think that if we write well-phrased topics, the work will do itself.

Quote by MordinThat is a great idea kimi oneichan, it should help us organized our
thesis. That would help sort out the confusion and the amount of work
new people had to work to catch up to the project's progression.

It befalls upon our martyr of a friend, Anjhurin, to list these topics up above, and to continuously update the main points of each topic in the first post... one of us had to bear the agony, and you are always the stronger... ^^

Suggested Topics:

(1) What Kind of Society Does Minitokyo Have Now?
'Democratic', 'Anarchic', 'Juridico-Legal' or 'Monarchic/Oligarchic'?
(of course, I have to define these, I'll edit this on Monday... ^^)

(2) The Doujinshi Question: Is Doujin Being 'Marginalized' in MT?
(I have to make this more precise soon, but any suggestions would be oh-so-loved!)

Edit:
Also, I'd have to point this out early on: there will come a time when all of our efforts here will be rendered "useless". Useless, in the sense that while MT people brainstorm on social issues in MT herein, changes are already occurring. While we search and observe data and patterns in MT, the very data and patterns that we are searching might actually be already changing.

The observer changes the observed. For the good or for the better? I don't know the answer to that. But I would like to hope that these changes, consciously or unconsciously they may come, are for something better. And that this project might very well be a catalyst for those changes. At least, I would like to thank all in advance from the bottom of my virtual heart everyone who will be participating in this venture. (*drama effect ^^)

(shifts to Midori-chan mode)
Go go Seiji-kun! Err, Minitokyo and minna! (haha, I promise to delete this part soon, I just couldn't resist encouraging everyone....)

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

Okay everyone, i like Mordin idea and kimifox too, i'm gonna edit the topic then, add those recommended threads, and i want to particularly thank biriwilg for making this thread stick to the top. (btw i already invited the mtnoobclub, assistence coalescence and hispanime, but if you have any other group you think i should direct to this thread, please pm me :) )

gilesaquil

gilesaquil

honora medicum

...a post i made in the 'order of reason' guestbook...reposted here by order...uh...suggestion of char herself... ^^ well...hope it'll be informative and of use... ^^

>>Hmm...I think the proposal's a good idea; it would not only benefit the mods/admin and the veterans as well by making them realize what MT has become and re-evaluate how to operate and maintain the community (take note...COMMUNITY! not "wallpaper/scan site"...) more efficiently and user-friendly (dunno if that was the right term to use) for both n00bs and seniors alike.
It is good that this group is trying to do its share in keeping order. MT is a growing community. With a larger volume, it would be increasingly difficult to manage, to keep things as they should be.
While I do not advocate the "tyranny" policy, there are just some times wherein it is necessary to implement it...take this certain 3rd world country, for example...riot everywhere, protests left and right, "people power" 3, etc...but nobody really knows what he/she wants. That's the problem with uneducated people...For all the public may know, all these "fights for justice" just might be yet another plot of (insert ousted president's name of choice here) or a cohort or whoever! The problem now would be if there would be a suitable person for dictatorship...
But I think that MT is another case. The people here (well...most of them, imho) are decent, upright, moral beings. That is, in my opinion. The proposed working paper (should it push through...I hope it will) might reflect otherwise...it would be interesting to know.
As for the other questions...I believe more research is in order. though we all have our opinions as to what the answers might be, there should be at least some evidence of their truth.
<<

Hmm, yeah. What do you know? Chances are that the MT community is like every other outside the virtual world. You have your thinkers, the administration, their groupies and the rioters. Heck, what's the age-range of MT members? Many are in their teens; would be kinda freaky if, you know, the world of the 40-plusers has striking similarities with MT.

Arg, this thread is probably a example of disorganization as random ideas are posted here as opposed to a dedicated thread. MT don't use branched threads, making things works.

Personally, I think wiki is potentially the best frame work for something like this.

Anyway, I've been away and probably would get a slap for reserrecting threads if it where in another forum.

So is the MT society thread started anywhere? I wonder how soon would the flamewarrior website be brought up in such a thread.....

Seig Jion....Seig Jion

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

Quote by charaznableamurorei[woooo! boss is sleeping, time for posting... eheh]
Hey there, Cy-friend, long time no see... As to "active member", I'd
like to know what does that mean? Honestly, while engaging in my
'travels' in MT, I have come across the most loneliest (and I use
double superlative here) people... people who, I feel, like Ravix, are
a bit clueless and don't know what it means to be part of a
community/communities. Simply because they reflect their own loneliness
offline in this virtual space. It would really be helpful to mentioned
what kind of "activities" are available there for these lonely souls.
^_^ There are lonely people here in MT who make interesting thread
after thread... and nobody responds to them. They yearn desparetely to
feel belong, but people don't notice them. Why is that? There are great
doujinshi and art here in MT who don't get fav and comments... why is
that? Oh, and strenoth, thanks for the "center-periphery" model of
Minitokyo
-- next thing on my rant. As I see it, there is a
"center" in MT wherein there are people who post a lot (probably
because they are privileged to have 24/7 connection and they live in
well-to-do countries) and submit a lot. But there are also
"peripheries"... people and subgroups where there are lots of
goings-on, too, but are not given much attention. Or people who decide
to stay away from all the ruckus and decide to become "listeners" or
"watchers" or "gods/goddesses". I'd like to point out one of these
"periphery subcommunities" -- the Hispanime subgroup. Has anyone from
our English-speaking friends actually greeted and made links with them?
Probably because of the "English-language-only" rule,
non-English-fluent (or those not confident in speaking the language)
members feel disfranchised and marginalized. Then, they start keeping
to themselves... where is "larger community" at that? Where is
community-building? As I see it, MT is an 'anarchic society' -- we have
subgroups and subgroups and subgroups... definitely not just one
community. MT as a 'community', for me, is just like saying "Oh, I am a
citizen of this and that country", even though that country (or the
state/government of that country) doesn't care about its
less-unfortunate constituencies. "Community" is imagined, a 'slogan
that inspires.' Beyond that, it is a hollow term. [super side note! For
me, I love the creativity that springs from anarchy. ^_^ (Oh, anarchy
does not equal 'chaos', BTW. Please Google what anarchy and anarchism
in the social/political context, kudasai!] But because of this
"anarchic society", virtually anyone can do whatever she wants here
(following the ground rules, of course). But things and events in an
'anarchic society' pretty much gets fragmented, and people forget a lot
and lots of potentially-community-building efforts are being waylaid.
The important thing about 'community-building' is/are building
'link/links' or bridges
. It is a challenge to the membership of
MT, whether you belong to the "center" or to the "peripheries" to build
or forge these links... I could name a few links I've come across MT,
but maybe later... my boss just woke up, eheh. Ahhh, so sorry for
raising so many questions and thoughts... please enjoy another good
read. ^^

Sorry Yomiko, I just got to use your respond to the other thread to start something in our project. It is just too good to not posted here. :) You raise a very good point there. It is about our perspective of our community, and I think that needed to be address. This dynamics is being played out everyday here as we speak, and I think our project can launched that discussion. It is the perfect piece for our first attempt in understand the culture of mt and its members within this community. :) Let's see if this can restart this dormant paper of ours. :D

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

What's a forum?
A place where a community will diverge and meet. Is it not? Honestly, there are plenty of forums out there and yet, I (I'm taking myself as an example since I still have to know most of you guys/girls) have chosen to be here. A choice. Is it social, is it personal? Aren't they really the same in a way? I would like to believe so since we are each of us a member of that forum and hence this community. As part of a forum, we do interact with each other and with this fact, discussions will be made where one will possibly disagree with another. Is this wrong? Absolutely not, this is a way to evolve, a way to learn and I am a strong believer that we can certainly do so while remaining civilized and respectful of another one's opinion. In a forum, we can avoid this completely and walk away without having to result to insults or diffamations against another member.

We are a community right?

And hence...

What's a community?
A group of people that may share some common grounds or interests. We are all here in MT because of the love we have for Anime (and to an extent, the Oriental culture since anime does have broadened its wings to other countries within the Pacific Rim). A community for me is like a family. In a family, there will be members who will not like each other. Sounds stupid, even trivial and yet so much a reality some may simply again avoid or deny. Fact is, we will come to a point where one person will say something against another person.
Question is why is there such a need? Don't we all have some real life issues to come here, online (not only MT), and start flaming someone else? Where's that satisfaction?

My satisfaction and role as a forum member is to make sure
1- I enjoy myself without having to involve myself in uneccessary disputes. I mean come one people, so many forums have died because of such a problem. MT is a great place as far as my experiences in our forums have been. Let's keep it this way.

2- Make sure there is a feel of communal fun among us. We are all evolving to one degree or the other, some may have not reached the level some did. Remember that for these latter individuals, they did have to start somewhere right?

3- Have an open mind and give a hand for those who will ask for it. How many newcomers are there in this place a day? Do they leave? Do they stay? Why is that? Interest, opportunities to find some solace and rewards? I felt a great welcome here and just for that, it made MT a special place for me. Believe me, I've been in different forums and I can tell you that after a couple of days, I have wondered why I was there in the first place.

Then....What do we need to do? Is there a need for us to do anything?

Socialization of MT would eventually involve a structurization (sp.? sorry it is 1.34am here ) from those who had been active and present in the community and forums. Those "veterans" would need to be there to support who had the pleasant idea of giving time for us to be here in the first place. Socialization = structure = hierarchy in a way. No? I mean we do have moderators and administrators, so I do believe we do have a base for that (not either counting the number of different groups available for us to enjoy).

Do we need to go further in this? Should we?

We have a choice to be made but let's make sure we have the pertinence to see what is needed first.

These are my opinions and does not involve any malicious quotations against anyone. I hope it did make some sense and if not, at the very least brought out some additional questions (that might have been forgotten or omitted?).

Ja neh!

streamside

streamside

deranged.

um... let me just save this page, i'll look over it and pore on it... when i've finished, i'll just edit my post here, aight?

EDIT
Hey guys!
Sorry for not posting a little earlier, but my dad was using the pc... (I'm not even sure where I should post this!) and, the darned browser won't load properly...

Well... I already came up with a basic outline... (actually right now, my head's spinning with just rereading the Virtual Working Paper/s Thread):

I. Introduction

II. Context
A. Problems
A.1 Social
A.2 Technical

B. Effects
B.1 On the Community Itself
B.2 On the Members and Staff

C. Possible Solutions

D. Possible Outcomes

III. Conclusion

---
It's still subject to change, of course. However, I was hesitant to add a little something to the Introduction part - The History of Minitokyo, Aims, Divisions, etc... (tell me if I should add these)

I was also hoping to make clear a few more details:
Thesis Title: ___________________
Objective/s: To synthesize/gather together the various experiences/solutions/problems in MT.

||> Of course, with the finishing touches of the paper (if we ever do get there - we still have a long way to go.), we'll add the Table of Contents, Acknowledgements, and the Glossary, and/or the Bibliography.
I�d also rather have it if we wrote the acknowledgement altogether - but that seems quite impossible, doesn't it?

---

However, I found that I could not spearhead documenting right away - mainly because of lack of information. We need a lot more to go on, and, I�ll be checking out the following threads:

Nice Walls Finish Last - by Celessa

Insanely Long Signatures - by outofphase

suggestion: max sig length - by bucket-shot

---

Also... I'd like to suggest that perhaps we could ask the moderators - or, if we're allowed to do it ourselves - to post an article/survey on MT's main page, so that easy access to the polls and threads would be available, instead of multiple threads, because multiple threads, in my opinion, would add to the disarray...

And, in addition, I have one final question:

If ever we were to ask on a poll, should we be asking direct questions (questions that could be answered with a YES or a NO) or indirect questions (questions that usually require longer answers)?
||> I think it should be an assortment of both...
And, lastly, if ever we do put up a poll/survey thingy, if we could just ask the forum posters to answer our questions in an organized way (like, post a question first and then your answer, and then post the next question, and then your answer again - am I making sense?), and to leave their comments on the last portion of their post - assuring them that it will not be rejected.

Consequently... here are the questions presented in the thread:

(1) What are the roles MT members/mods/admin generally play in mt?
(2) What are the major problems plaguing MT right now? Either 'perceived' or 'real'? Technical or social?
(3) What are the reasons why people come here and stay in Minitokyo?
(4) Do the majority of people participate in the various going-ons of MT, or are they primarily just here for the scans/walls? Is this "leecher" tendency necessarily detrimental to the community?
(5) Are some cliques/groups/members being alienated or isolated - is this perceived or a direct-indirect kind? Why?
(6) What are MT members/groups/mods' initiatives in improving MT? Technical-wise and social-wise? (By improving MT, I [charaznableamurorei] believe that one does not only mean 'cleaning up clutter/spam' or implementing technical measures, but it also means 'increased participation/communication/understanding through projects, collabs [social measures]', etc.) Are these technical and social initiatives working?
(7) Are there gaps in the community that need to be addressed?
Hopefully, during the course of the working "virtual paper", we can detect/quantify/qualify tendencies and patterns that may be helpful not only to the mods/admin, but also insightful to ourselves as well. "To know oneself," in essence. A romantic description of this endeavor is that "we attempt to look into the mirror which reflects who or what we are, and see for ourselves the flaws and merits we have, and seek to promote our merits, and do something about our flaws." The important thing about this "virtual working paper" is that it might serve as a cumulative guide and might better understand why this group/clique/trend behaves likes this, etc.
(8) What Kind of Society Does Minitokyo Have Now?
'Democratic', 'Anarchic', 'Juridico-Legal' or 'Monarchic/Oligarchic'?
(9) The Doujinshi Question: Is Doujin Being 'Marginalized' in MT?

Er, for the last two questions, we still have to wait for char-chan to 'define' the terms...

I'm really anxious to get this started, it would be really great to just see this 'paper' one day...

And, I know I've been saying finally and lastly so much in this thread, but this is really, really, really, the last thing:

Just for proper organization, I think we should have a thread for the polls (with all the questions in it, the poll which we might put on MT's main page,) and a thread for the 'documentation', where we can discuss our ideas and where other members of MT can present their thoughts and suggestions as help.

---

Sorry for the really loooong post.

I hope we can kick this project up (*gulp* again)...

If I missed anything, be glad to remind me... my eyes are getting sore...

*runs off to check the listed threads*

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

"A journey of a thousand miles...
is better in a car."

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

The project lives! Thank you, streamside!

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

DeusIth

The universe in a dot

Quote by charaznableamurorei
Edit:
Also, I'd have to point this out early on: there will come a time when
all of our efforts here will be rendered "useless". Useless, in the
sense that while MT people brainstorm on social issues in MT herein,
changes are already occurring.

Whee... i just went trhough all this posts since i havent read them all... :s shame on me, but i'll just say now that nothing that you do in your life, Yomiko, is useless. Maybe the research can go very very slow, but in no way it's useless; you might use what you learn here someday in your life ;)

Quote by streamside
Also... I'd like to suggest that perhaps we could ask the moderators -
or, if we're allowed to do it ourselves - to post an article/survey on
MT's main page, so that easy access to the polls and threads would be
available, instead of multiple threads, because multiple threads, in my
opinion, would add to the disarray...

Maybe what we could do is just a single thread leading to all the other polls/threads

I don't know what this is all about but I will post anyway

UmazakiFury

UmazakiFury

Activating Ninjutsu

wow that is alot of paragraphs :o

Destroy or be Destroy!
'Signature Image'

Wow,that's such a loooong thread!You quoted lots of replies!

Jesus~ no offence to the big guy up and above...but this is a huge, long, scary piece of work here...but i think you've got the idea through though~

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.