Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Tips for Doujinshi Artists - Minitokyo

Tips for Doujinshi Artists

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Hi guys... this was written when I was pretty much bored, sitting there doing practically nothing in front of the pc. But before this, I've seen exentric's Tips For Wallers here, doing his for the wallers, so why don't I do one for doujinshi artist? I'm not an expert in this, but I can at least share my experience for those who needs help. Dedicated doujinshi artists in MT, feel free to take a look while you're browsing through the forum.

Tips for Doujinshi Artist
1. Pencil artist
2. Ink pen artist

Since there are different types of artist which can draw using different methods, I have to catogorize each different tips in different category.

BASIC PREPARATIONS

1. Music ON!
Music is always useful when you're trying to set a mood when you're drawing. You can always draw while you're listening to your music, and while you're at it, blast it to maximum volume.

2. Fully equipped
You must always have everything beside you. If you're already setting a proper mood for something you're going to draw, and you didn't have everything ready, that will just spoil the atmosphere. Some unpatient people like me will tend to say something like.. "This is so troublesome~". So this is very important too.

3. Acknowledge, Think and Imagine
Acknowledge yourself what you're going to draw, try to think and picture the thing in your head and imagine, imagine wildy, far and wide if possible. This is also a very important step in producing a good doujinshi. No one will care if you just draw a piece of stinky poop with flies on it and submit it to MT. If you're doing that only for the levels, you can just tuck into your bed and sleep.

4. Inspiration Resources
If you can't think of anything possible for what you're going to draw, try to look around your environment. Check the vast scenery outside your window. Look for some artbook, flip through your manga. Spend some time looking through and you'll know what you're going to draw.

5. Concentration and Patience
This is one element which control and will take effect of your last production. Why? Concentration is needed so you can draw a fine, good, high quality piece of work. While patience will push you to the limit where you'll continue to concentrate on your work until you're finished or tired. If you have none of this, your final work will surely be going down the drain.

6. Effort, and MORE effort!
Put a lot of effort into making it. Don't ever draw if you're just plain bored and you have nothing to do. Your drawings will surely looks bored and will get bored of you. So get rid of boredom and put in all your efforts in it like you this is your last chance for doing so. In case you're getting bored halfway, drink some coffee, take a shower, take a walk outside or take a short nap to refresh your mind. Never, EVER let boredom control yourself.

7. Anti-Distraction Field
Sometimes you tend to get distracted when drawing. This happened to me lots of time, I assure you. If you don't wanna get distracted, confine yourself in a sound-proof room. (If you have that room in your house) But the simplest way is to keep out from any place which is noisy, or just draw in silence. Somebody out there might like to draw in this condition, but I just can't draw without music. MUSIC is my one source of inspiration!

Tips for pencil artist
This is written for those doujinshi artist who only use pencils/mechanical pencils to draw.

1. Make sure you have lots, and lots of pencils, leads, sharpener and eraser for your work. You'll mess a lot with this, so might as well ready a box of tissue. (Note*: Don't draw with ruler unless you're drawing buildings. Unless you're trying to draw a robot, that's fine. But for humans, NEVER!)

2. First, sketch your reference line lightly across the page. If you're fine without reference lines, then you can start constructing your character ROUGHLY and LIGHTLY on the paper so you won't ruin the whole work.

3. After you've done with your rough sketch, you can now use a darker pencils or just press harder than previous to form the actual figure of your work. This is the time where details come in, so pay attention to the little tiny details, and scan for corrections.

4. Done outlining your drawings? Well, it's time to make it more realistic, or could I say... manga-like? Grab your previous pencil, and darken the foldings and the area which is hidden from sunlight. You have to know where the light is coming from before you do this, so imagine. Although you have a good drawing skill, but if you don't have this part, it's still looks empty. So start shading!

5. Satisfied? Well, that's for you to say. If you still don't like the result, grab yourself a tissue and smudge it all over your work. (*Note: NEVER smudge your work with your fingers! Sometimes it's true that you will accidentally smudged your work for being so concentrated, but just be conscious about where you put your fingers.) If you think that you've over smudged your work, grab your eraser and erase off the part you think is appropriate to erase. After that, you're done!

Tips for Ink-Pen Artist
From here onwards, this is for doujinshi artists who use pen to outline they work after they've done sketching with pencils.

1. You already have a rough sketch ouf what you're going to draw? Not yet? Basically, this part is the same as the Tips for pencil artist, just that you can stop till Step 3. After that, jump down to this part. So first you must have a proper pen for outlining. You CAN'T just grab a ballpen from your dad's drawer and outline; you need a proper pen. If you want some example, I'm using Artline: Drawing System pens. Please keep in mind that this pen is quite expensive, so please check your wallet before you continue, kay? And if possible, try to buy pens with different point size. (You can buy all the size if you want, but I'm only using 0.1, 0.4 and 0.8)

2. If you already have everything ready, then, adjust yourself in a proper position coz this really needs lots of concentration. First, start with the part you think which is hard to outline. Usually I go for the hair first, since the lines in this region is usually narrow. Start off slowly, finishing every lines carefully. If you want a better outlined work, finish outlining them in ONE SINGLE STROKE so they look smoother.

3. So after you've done with the hardest part, move on to another part which you think is less harder than the hair. And then move on, until you're finished with the whole thing.

4. After that, scan through your work to see if you already have outlined all the parts. Sometimes my eyes can't catch all the tiny parts, so what I do is check again. But if you work is a little too messy, grab your eraser and rub your work. (Make sure the ink is already dry, wait for 3-5 minutes before you rub your work)

4. After erasing the pencil lines, and if you feel satisfied with your final piece, congrats! But if you missed out lots of the tiny parts (Like me), take your pen and add in a little more correction. After that, you're done!

-------------------------
If you find any mistakes or error, corrections are always appreciated. ^^ Additions are always welcome too!

Signature Image

All blackheads in Mashima Hiro's mangas are my boyfriends. Owh yes they are.

amrisha

youkai~slayer

thanks for the useful tips . i am a Doujinshi Artist but i have not yet put up anything in mt . see you around .
ja

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

I think on that note with the pencils, using a 2B lead or softer is important. Anything like HB or H is too hard and should only be used for drawing with a ruler :)

Which brings me to the point, never sketch with a ruler unless you are doing a building, and also never use your finger to smudge the page. I call it "fake shading" and I think that it's only real drawing if you do the shading in yourself :)

Also drawing with a pencil would be nice if you did longer lines as possible. I find it really hard to have short lines X__X

Oh yeah, and a really good eraser. A really soft one is good :)

Great idea Ephie typing this up ^_^

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

Yureika

Yureika

[.: L!ve tHe FulLe$t :.]

thank you ever soo much... i tried to draw but it always have something wrong....
soo with ur useful tips i am sure i can draw even better..!!!! :D
ja-ne..

Nice Tutorial Ephemeral-Garden, this will help me since im starting to draw!
Gotta be good to tha noobs! Ha HA! :)

Signature

iiwa

iiwa

Cheeky Little October Kiss

wow wow wow wow! o_0
this is awesome lol! Ephie rox! XD *yaya!* Tutorial!! yay!! lol!

Quote by sofia-chan ^^Don't ever draw if you're just plain bored and you have nothing to do. Your drawings will surely looks bored and will get bored of you.

lol!!! i think that was meant for me lol haahha.. ^_^' nah, maybe it wasnt meant for me but it certainly is like me.. and lol, sofia, you've seen the result ! XD XP aahahhaha

anyway, i love this thread! great for reference XD *glees*

Ano hi kimi ni sayonara sae iezu,
Soshite miushinatta yume mo..

Signature Image

haha this is nice of u. every artist is very gateful for this thread and its tips. XD but if u know stellar, she already knows the important things about pencil drawing and such. >_<

Signature
oh yah?
can u say, GS/GSD fan crazy? yes u can. =]

saranron

saranron

Saranron D.

Thanks for the tips! Especially for pencil artist. I know about step 2 of pencil drawing, but I could never draw roughly and lightly. *sigh*

Acuni

Acuni

wrapped in night

jes very useful tips
but first you have to remember that you have to have light in the right place
and i was often bored when i started drawing but that bordnes gows away if you are pleased with your work and i always make a story up for the charas i draw if not the picture is horor and i can throw it away. second the music is welcomme but sometimes silenc is beter i was drawing all the pictures that i send her to MT in peace naja some of tham^^
well you can leave the part with the lightly drawing and rugly that is very complicated and i never did that all the pictures i treid to draw so wer at the end by drawing the eyes of the chara the face and hair, nose and lips did pass the test^^
and also sometimes the feeling is needed i mean if you are sad you will trei to expres your sadnes through the thing you are drawing the same thing gos for the other feelings
and i would advice something more
grab your pencil and don't be lazy and experiment with the things you are drawing, you will need all the practice you can get^^
wish you luck and draw something nice

Signature

Yumi-Chan

Yumi-Chan

chibi~ <3

^_^ nice tips ya got there.
i'm more of an ink pen artist now x_x.. trying to improve more. but yeah your tips did help me a little ^^
i usually use 0.1, 0.2, 0.5 and 0.8 pens xD sometimes my thinnest, 0.05 :D !
yes drawing the hair is always the first for me as well ^^.. then i move on to the face XD hahaha..
thanks for the tips neways :D

Signature
x.x;; + + +[url="www.digikb.net"]Digikb[/url] + + +
:nya: i <33 mochii-chann ^_^

Very nice and useful...thx!!! :)

Koenken

Koenken

Crazy Tiger

Thank for the tips. I find them useful.

i will have to finish reading it when I get home tonight.

"You should never get between people and their pudding!" - Milly Tompson

thnx for the tips... these are just some small reviews i've known already, but still, it's good to look back at them and see what you missed!

Akaiken

Akaiken

Ike, Fin Funnel!

Sorry... not an artist but thanks for posting anyway...

For the pencils, I think if you just want to shade the drawing, I may suggest that a charcoal pencil is good. I see one friend does that on his drawing and it's really good.

Signature
Unit No. - RX-93
Unit Name - Nu Gundam

eternally-asuka

eternally-asuka

Death Angel

Wow! thanks for the tipss!! they are gonna be veru useful! :D

Signature Image

ChaosCroc

ChaosCroc

Roboticized Otaku

Very nice tips. I'd also like to throw in something.

Artists, when you start a project or drawing, do NOT get distracted from it. Otherwise, you'll never go back to it, no matter how hard you try. Trust me, I've been through this plenty of times.

Proud member of Final-Fantasy, Guilty-Gear, Kag-San-lvrs, Ecchi-Club, and Adult-Swim-Watchers

Mikoami

Mikoami

Hiatus-Up by FEB 20 '08

wow hey there ^__^ i read over your post thingy giggy
it was very well written! =D being a doujinshi drawer myself (though personally i think i suck -__-) this helps me out a lot. I already knew but its made me re-think it over and also to remember it more. Arigatou! ^___^ your so great!
*hugs* later!
^__^
(your drawings also rock too! lol ^__^ )
see ya later!!!

Great tips, but if I might add a little something for those who draw with pencils. First of all, the whole smudging with your finger shouldn't EVER be done (unless very desperate), as the natural oils in the hands effect the paper and the graphite - meaning, if you try to erase it, you'll ruin your drawing! Which bring sme to my next point, which is, watch where you put your hand - you might smudge without meaning to. Either draw with a peice of paper underneath or elevate your hand (which is difficult to do when drawing for several hours).

-Sigh- I've ruined many many drawings because of either of the above I'm mentioned. Don't let it happen to you.

@}>- "When nothing makes sense, I'll fight believing in myself."
|| Gundam Haven || Doujinshi Support Club || Deviants || Final Fantasy X/-2 || FLIP ||

Izaak

Izaak

Lotus Clan

Great job!. But, I think H is better than B because B is just too messy. H is easier to erase. How bout' coloring on the computer; anyone have tips about that?

-Izaak, lrod of the Lotus Clan.

leekheng

leekheng

lonely..

awesome tutorial Ephemeral ,
now mabye i can draw better after reading ur tutorial..
thanks for the useful tips..

tevi

tevi

Misa's evil twin

Omg, this is great! [I do most of these points already... But it's really something that every artist should read twice over ^^ Sometimes it's easy to forget the simple things =)]

And I really wish I could +fav threads 'cause this would definitely be on my favs list =p

- Tevi

Signature Image

- same person; no difference at all, just a different sex

Quote by Yumi-Chani usually use 0.1, 0.2, 0.5 and 0.8 pens xD sometimes my thinnest, 0.05

Well, it's great you can grab yourself the thinnest point-sized pen. But actually, thin pens aren't really that good. In my opinion, when you erase your work after outlining them with the thinnest 0.05 point size, the ink will fade away. This happened to me when I'm using 0.1, but I'm not sure about 0.05 though. So I really suggest doujinshi artist not to use very thin ink pens. Unless you don't wanna erase your work, that's fine. But if you're going to, don't use pen with very thin point-size.

Quote by ChaosCrocVery nice tips. I'd also like to throw in something.
Artists, when you start a project or drawing, do NOT get distracted
from it. Otherwise, you'll never go back to it, no matter how hard you
try. Trust me, I've been through this plenty of times.

Yeap, true. You can always confine yourself in a rom or something, or preferably listen to your discman/walkman/iPod/mp3 player or whatever you have. So that way, all you can listen is the song you're listening. :) Coz everytime you already set a mood right, and while you're doing fine halfway you got distracted, you will never get your mood back. This is very real too. Thanks, ChaosCroc.

Quote by zephrynGreat tips, but if I might add a little something for those who draw
with pencils. First of all, the whole smudging with your finger
shouldn't EVER be done (unless very desperate), as the natural oils in
the hands effect the paper and the graphite - meaning, if you try to
erase it, you'll ruin your drawing! Which bring sme to my next point,
which is, watch where you put your hand - you might smudge without
meaning to. Either draw with a peice of paper underneath or elevate
your hand (which is difficult to do when drawing for several hours).
-Sigh- I've ruined many many drawings because of either of the above
I'm mentioned. Don't let it happen to you.

This is true too! Sometimes you got so engrossed in your drawings you just don't realise where you'll put your fingers! OX About smudging with your fingers, that should never be done. I don't see people would like to have their hands dirtied. But as precaution, maybe you would like to wear a pair of gloves before you work? ^_^' Anyways, what I advise to doujinshi artist is that they should always be aware of where they put their fingers. It's good you're very concentrated on your work, but please be aware of where you place your fingers too.

Quote by IzaakGreat job!. But, I think H is better than B because B is just too
messy. H is easier to erase. How bout' coloring on the computer; anyone
have tips about that?
-Izaak, lrod of the Lotus Clan.

I'm not sure about H. I only use B pencils in my life. Since it's easier to draw with them, and eaier to erase. (They're smooth and easy to erase if you have a good eraser) H might be a little lighter and hard for drawing, but it might be good for starting your rough sketch. H isn't as bold as B, but it has it's own use in drawing too.

And before I stop talking again, this is written for those who're just trying to get their basics up. I would like to help those who needs guidance in drawing, and of course it's also useful for advanced artist. Youcan look through twice, just to remember the steps correctly. :)

And by the way tevi, it's great if we had the button for "add this thread to favourites", coz I'm definitely gonna fave those who're doing threads for the purpose of getting poeple back to the right tracks. *Insert strange evil laughter*

^_^'

Signature Image

All blackheads in Mashima Hiro's mangas are my boyfriends. Owh yes they are.

Koenken

Koenken

Crazy Tiger

I finally remembered to finish reading your tips.
Very helpful. I will have to remember some of your points.
I agree music is very helpful when drawing.
I feel more focused when listening to music, although silence is nice too.
My house is usually noisy though. Not very sound proof.

"You should never get between people and their pudding!" - Milly Tompson

nice tip....all tip that you post are nessesary for drawing...^^

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.