Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Avian Flu. - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 16 total items

miaowmiaowmiaow

miaowmiaowmiaow

In pursuit of a glorious dream.

Has the virus been reported in your hometowns? This flu has caused tension among science and business communities and are planning to avert a pandemic. It has a mortality rate of 50%... and spreads among migratory birds and other birds... so far no occurence in our country has yet been reported... is anybody scared? Do you think it will be a pandemic like that of 1918 "spanish" flu?

"Truth is relative"
A statement which is relatively true...

rituel

rituel

kLepToMAniaX Designs

I don't know much about this, to be honest... but i read in the news somewhere that Avian Influenza is expected to be the biggest pandemic since... that 1918 one you mentioned...

i don't even know what pandemic means...

Kori

Kori

Eternally Frozen in Time

I would be lying if I said that I didn't think of it from time to time when I hear it on the news.

There are a lot of news going on about this flu. Some scientists say that it can be a pandemic, some say it won't. Others say it's not so different from normal flues that goes on every winter, the only difference is that this has gotten more publicity from the media. All we can do is to cross our fingers and hope it doesn't become a pandemic.

Quote by ritueli don't even know what pandemic means...

Pandemic in this case means a worldwide epidemic. Ok, maybe not worldwide but a large part of the world.

Signature Image

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

It's no big deal, the flu was always a threat ~ the black plague ~

Another way to keep population under control without suffering morale hazards in the big business of world commerce ~

How late is it, crap, need to catch some shuteye ~_^

-repeat-

Kyoo69

me -> Kyo`

Well, for now it didn't reach my country. But it did the countries next to mine, so who knows what will happen tomorrow... I don't think about it much, only when I see it on the news. Don't have a clue if it'll become a pandemic, time will tell I guess. It effected the comestible business pretty much allready from what I heard.

up up and away

shadowofdoom

shadowofdoom

eccentric empereor of doom

It has'nt hit my country yet but who know, only time will tell weather it
Becomes a pandemic or not. I hope it does'nt but who knows. Supposedly scientists are close to finding a cure though, which is good.

There are 3 universal constants on this planet: death, persecution and revolution.

Kori

Kori

Eternally Frozen in Time

Yeah, it would be good if they find a cure or a vaccine but it is a virus we're talking about after all. It doesn't take long until they turn useless. Because virus don't have any enzymes that can check if they've copied the DNA right when they replicate, it makes mutation occur so much more frequent than in bacteria or other living organisms. And then we shouldn't even start on the RNA-virus which are even worse because it only has one string... >.< Speaking of that, I'm not even sure if the virus causing the Avian Flu is a DNA- or RNA-virus. o.O;;

Signature Image

Magihunt

The End.

Australia currently is in a really panicky mood from the possibility that it'll spread here - but from what I observed, perhaps these 'Avian Flu' occurance will only occur (or start) within the Winter zones of the planet (aka, Northern Hemisphere) - though may migrate into Southern Hemisphere areas.

But really, I find it silly that people keep Birds outside - locked up in pens - during the winter... It's obvious that they'll catch a cold - or worse, a flu.

The beginning is past - the end is to come. I'll show you what was around before the end comes.

Sallyf322

Sallyf322

*_Amateur Guitarist_*

From what I've heard, the flu hasn't come into the US yet. That doesn't mean it's not a threat, seeing (as someone has already stated) it comes from migratory birds. I am somewhat worried since I recall the fact that the average American eats about 90 pounds of chicken in a year---no doubt chickens would be some of the first birds catching the avian flu.

"If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, then we'd see the day...when nobody died. I'm singing amen I, amen I, I'm alive." - Nickelback: "If Everyone Cared."

If only, if only, the world were like this. If only, if only, it only existed.

Vinitachi

Vinitachi

Azndude

Not here in the States yet. I really fear it. If it kicks off, then there really little we can do. If it hit large cities...
I fear that I will get infected... I already have a cough that lasting for months already. If I get it, meh. I'm dead.

Learning little by little.
Signature

I think the actual population effects of the avian flu would not be as devastating on people compared to the effect on local economies around the world (trade embargo, loss of tourism, loss of investment, etc etc). Also, many people around the world, regardless of culture, eat a lot of chicken.

Let's put it this way -- SARS as example. Canada lost something like 4% of GDP at its worst quarter of the year i believe. Now if this effect would be spread across the world's economies............ >_<''

Another thing to take a look at -- the farming system in America. It would decimate large chunks of the chicken population here in the blink of an eye should some birds get infected. Especially with the way the chickens and eggs are being produced by being mass harvested and whatnot...

I hope I have not got it. I fainted 5 times in 2 days and have a horrible earache... and yeah, I have heard that the mortality is 50%.
But I am even a vegetarian, I do not eat meat. >.<

I live in Europe and there has been a panic going on for months that it could come from Asia to us. But when there was the first incident in Greek, it took the EU 1 week to decide not to import Greek chicken anymore. *slams forhead*
But well... it seems like it cannot be stopped anyway.

If it is really turning into this human flu, what everyone is afraid of, let's hope they will find something against it. But there is no medicine for flu at all

Member of Appreciating-Fllay

polarie

polarie

..my heart is crying out loud...

what's so scary about this flu is that it has the ability to mutuate into something that the human body wouldn't be able to fight against... also, if it really happens, flu spreads easily.. so it's very easily for people to catch it on... it's extremely contagious..

so far now it has only happen mostly in those farming areas..but if your area hs some migatory birds.. do beware to avoid their droppings as they might be shedding virus through those.. and if you were to even breath in those air particles you might be infected...

ahhh.. not to cause alarm here.. because now it's still quite ineffective towards human.. that means the virus only spreads from poulty/birds to human.. not human to human.. so be extra careful especially when you visit those infected countries which has reported cases of avian flu.. avoid their farms...

just for precaution, probably best way now is to practice good personal hygiene... :)

i supposed more info could be found on the WHO website..

Signature

proud member of Nippon-Foods | JapaneseLover | Chibi-Fest

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Nothing yet here. If anything, we might get old hypochondriacs thinking they have it.

I am invincible!

It hasn't reach my place yet! My nation has a pretty secure disease prevention system. I feel pretty save so far.

But the Avian flu is definitely something that can cause a serious pandemic. Molecular Virologist recently actually disover that the viral genome of the avian flu (H5N1) that killed people in HK and Europe is EXTREMELY similar to the Spanish flu virus that killed 50 million people during 1918....

We still don't have vaccine for it, but at least we have a medication called Tamiflu that shows to be effective against H5N1 so far. Let's just hope the virus won't become resistant to this drug before we can develop another one....

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.