Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 A Question About Credits, And Comments on the New MT - Minitokyo

A Question About Credits, And Comments on the New MT

page 1 of 1 18 total items

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

Okay, this thread is probably going to wind up closed... and like there aren't enough "omfg i lyk hayte the new mt bcauz its 2 confuzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeng" threads out there, but...

First of all, I have a question about credits that I've brought up a bunch of times on the pinned thread about the new MT in this forum that no one has answered, which is, "what happens if you run out of credits?"

I've been told only, "You have to contribute to gain more." But what happens if you run out? Can you just not do anything? Does it give you error messages? I mean, you wouldn't be able to download or make threads and stuff... so would it just tell you, "Sorry, you don't have enough credits?" Does anyone know? I hope the mods know... it's just bothering me.

Another thing that I want to say is just basically to repeat what everyone else is saying, which is that the new MT is making people leave.

I don't want to complain just because I get high off complaining... I want to complain in order to suggest ways to maybe make the new MT a little more user-friendly. I mean, I'm sure that there are a whole bunch of really great things about the new MT, I just haven't found them yet. The Control Panel makes things easier, I suppose (see? I found one!). But there are some things I would like to suggest to keep users and stop the flow of complaints and hatemail I see the mods getting.

First of all, I don't really like the way the view pages for the wallpapers are set up. The info is bunched on the side instead of at the top, they've combined things like comments and favorites which makes it confusing to read, it's harder to find the favorite button so as a result less favorites are being given, and on the gallery and guestbook comments, you can't see avatars and signatures. I think it would be better if they changed the main layout of the gallery pages to look more like the old one, so things like favorites were easier to find and that you could see avatars and sigs in gallery posts.

Also, on the forums--and this may seem a little nitpicky, so I'm sorry--but when I reply to a thread, my text disappears on the side for a little bit so I can't see everything that I'm typing. However (trying to find positive things to say) I like the "box within a box" look, I feel that it makes things more organized. Just maybe fix the coding on the reply boxes.

And, of course, the ubiquitous submit button problems. Personally, I think that the "browse" section is a bit superfluous... although I do get the point of it, I think it would be slightly less confusing to have a "wallpapers" section, a "scans and doujinshi" section, and the "reviews" section, and be able to browse those by anime category similar to the navigation in the "browse" section, and to make the submit buttons there. I think "Browse" is just one more button on the navigation that confuses people more. I understand why the mods made the submit buttons this way, though, so I'm not going to bug them about putting it back the way it was--although I did like the old way better, I understand and respect their reasons for changing it--so that's not what this is about.

On the positive side, one thing I really like is that I can now browse only scans or only wallpapers, whereas in the old MT, whenever I wanted to find a scan of a certain character or anime, it was hard and confusing, so there's one thing that's better. (See? I am finding more good things. I'm not a total pessimist.)

Returning to the subject of favorites, and I think this has been brought up before--going to see someone's favorites page isn't as obvious as it was before, and basically brings no attention to the people whose submissions were favorited. I liked the "favorites" section of the old userpages, and the fact that that bar has been replaced with ads makes me quite sad.

And of course I have to bring up the common topic of the friendslist--what's this "watchlist", "hotlist", etc stuff anyway? Yes, I did read the thread, but it still confuses me. The nonfunctioning hotlist seems pointless and redundant, and why can you not recieve notifications for both threads and wallpapers? Did no one think of that? Did no one say, "if they're your 'best buddies', then why are we only thinking of their threads?" I suppose you can add them to both lists... can you? but it still seems pointless and like a waste of effort. If you're going to split up the friendslists, I think that your "watchlist" should be people that are not your friends, but that you want to watch, for their submissions, forum topics, or both--perhaps their could be a "watchlist/friendslist" section in the control panel where you could choose what you want to be notified about from each friend. And then there could be a "friendslist" of your 'best buddies', where you can also choose what you want to recieve (because hey, I think that's a good idea), and you would both be on each other's lists, and you could have the small pictures idea of the "hotlist". The friendslist could be limited to maybe 20 or so people--I don't know, I don't know how much the mods want to regulate that. This way, you could get the submissions OF YOUR CHOICE from the people you wanted to watch, and then also keep contact with your "friends" on MT.

One more thing is the "four-line feed" on the sig... my sig took up 6 or 7 lines in the little box, but exactly 4 in the forums. Perhaps the mods should take this into consideration, because that annoyed me a bit... especially because the box is small.

I could probably keep going on for a while, but I've run out of steam. I know that was a lot of text (wow...), and that the mods know how this site works better than I do, and that they will probably scoff at much of what I've written, and that by no stretch of the imagination will all of it happen. But I hope that they take it into consideration, and maybe if people agree with me and give feedback, some of it might actually happen. Who knows...

Also, please don't flame me for complaining. I'm not trying to complain. I'm trying to make sense of the new MT, and I'm trying to make real suggestions and be active on this site, not just sit back and complain. So that's pretty much it.

An answer to my credit question (in case you've forgotten about it by now) would stll be much appreciated. :)

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

If you don't have enough credits, or if you run out, you cannot download anything, you cannot start groups, etc. In other words, you won't be able to do anything that costs credits until you gain enough to cover the cost of that action. If you try to download, you will get an error message. I don't know what it says since I've never run out, but trust me, you will get an error message.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

Thank you. That's what I've been wondering. :)

Signature

Isn't that counter-intuitive though? Doesn't it also cost credits to post? So if you hit zero credits... your account is locked?

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

i agree with what you said about the friendlist... actually your idea seems pretty good, idk if it is possible, but i like the idea of being able to choose what you want to be notified about. :D

Signature Image

FreakzillA

FreakzillA

Itachi

Also I use to see levels of users on the old minitokyo, but I don't see them anymore?

kyubinaruto

kyubinaruto

The tabibi gang member

Quote by FreakzillAAlso I use to see levels of users on the old minitokyo, but I don't see them anymore?

Level system has been replaced by the Credit system now. Don't bother looking for it, you will never find it.

evasion

evasion

KittyPuchiko has caught evasion!

Good point about the friend's list...I suddenly noticed I'm not getting any notifications from any of my close friends! >_<.

Signature

Visit me at http://www.trigmax.com/funstuff/evasion
(website currently down...*cries*)

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Quote by Lionel23Isn't that counter-intuitive though? Doesn't it also cost credits to post? So if you hit zero credits... your account is locked?

it only costs credits to create a new thread, not to post in an existing one. I would like to throw in my 2 cents I'm sure someone somewhere in some thread has also already said this, but I just uploaded 2 nice scans, that cost me credits to upload, but how will anyone find them without having to dig through so many pages just to see the new ones? It just seems to me like the art, which is the main focus of this community is now getting buried...it's so much harder to navigate it, I much rather liked the old way of browsing through the art, it seemed easier. I know that we aren't going to change it back, but anyways, thats my line right there. =)

the art section could be better of that they have to many picture to see. i sugest to have many mini-section (in th art section ) just we have to do is to chose the mini-section we wont to see or something like that.

Mant

Title? What's this?

I suppose they are still developing at it.

I don't really understand why with this new Minitokyo they had to organize galleries in a so-hard-to-find-anything way. Wasn't it possible to mantain the old scroll menu over all the galleries?

We'll see....

Signature Image Ai

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

The old scroll menu was a huge resource hog. That's why it was removed. Loading every single category (there are hundreds of them!) for every single gallery page was no longer efficient.

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

I'm glad that you like some of my ideas. I think the friendslist thing, if it were indeed possible, would be a good thing to see.

And yeah, why did they take away the most recent submissions? That's why I haven't submitted anything recently, because no one will notice my wallpapers. I'm not nearly "good" enough to be featured or anything. I think I heard somewhere that the mods are working to bring that back, but why did they take it down in the first place? :(

I agree with Tama-Neko that organizing the galleries by category is good because it makes it load faster and you can find things you want, but sometimes it's nice to look at all the categories... oh well, there's still the featured submissions and stuff for if you want to see the best of all the categories, so I guess it works out...

Signature

Okay I just noticed something... everytime I click and load a page on MT, it updates my credits... so its that also a resource hog by me clicking "My Profile" over and over to gain credits now? To me that's just as bad as that resource hog of a menu (which I loved immensely btw). Has anyone noticed that about gaining credits? Is the formula for "gradually over time" just clicking to update it?

Dunno.. no problems getting credits.. although I don't really download anything

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

I dunno... I have been gaining a bunch of credits lately. It might be a bug... that would be kind of sad, on many levels... but... whatever.

Also, thanks everyone for replying to my thread. :)

Signature

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Quote by Lionel23Isn't that counter-intuitive though? Doesn't it also cost credits to post? So if you hit zero credits... your account is locked?

No, the account isn't necessarily locked. To post in threads, reviews, and gallery items, there is no cost. To create threads and gallery items, there is a cost based on the amount of friends you have. Creating groups costs 40 credits per group. When you do hit 0 credits, you're still able to do things in the forum, but you just won't have the extra benefits as you do when you have credits. ^_^

Quote by embershadowAnd yeah, why did they take away the most recent submissions? That's why I haven't submitted anything recently, because no one will notice my wallpapers. I'm not nearly "good" enough to be featured or anything. I think I heard somewhere that the mods are working to bring that back, but why did they take it down in the first place? :(

Some members were complaining that their wallpapers were leaving the front page too quickly and even some of the wallpapers that were bad stayed on the front page for a long time. What ended up happening was that the recent images on the index were removed and instead was replaced by links on the left. Members could still access those wallpapers through 2 ways, by the link on the left on the index and by the art link on top. I hope that clarifies things. ^_^

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

Yeah, it does. I still think it should stay on the little side bar and on the index, but that's just my opinion... (God, the little disappearing-text box bothers me... ><*)

I don't think credits are bad... I can understand a lot of the reason the mods put them there, and I agree with pretty much most of the things that gain/lose you credits, but it seems like it's almost too easy to gain a lot of credits (much to the reverse of what everyone is saying...?)...like, I've gained 30 credits in the last couple days just by posting, and I've lost hardly anything through downloading and stuff. It seems like you could just go to a whole bunch of random forums and post stupid things and wid up with a lot of credist... the not-quite-as-helpful-as-it-could-be FAQ thread says that you gain credits gradually and that your posts are evaluated, but I seem to be gaining a lot right away... so credit-whoring isn't that hard after all.

I don't know, I guess that no matter how many FAQs I read, the new MT is just going to keep on confusing me...

edit: Another thing, as I was looking on my profile page, what happened to the work valuation? I kind of liked knowing what my work was valued at, so I knew how much I needed to improve, or if I was doing well, or whatever... did they take that down, or has it, like everything else, moved?

Signature

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.