Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Sony BMG's DRM CD Scam - Minitokyo

Sony BMG's DRM CD Scam

page 1 of 1 15 total items

I posted a comment on this in another thread, but really the word need to be spread around.

Look at the recent discovery here made by Mark of sysinternals.com;
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

And a followup is available here;
http://www.sysinternals.com/Blog/

Sony's recent CDs are copy protected, but what you don't know is that when you play them on your PC that the silently install cloaked drivers that are very difficult to remove and open a gaping security hole in your system by allowing other files to use its cloaking routines. This is known as a a rootkit.

Put it this was, this infection form a Sony BMG CD is worse than most viruses you'll find, and creates a backdoor that viruses can use to hide on your system. Sony KNOW what you are listening to, this app tells them.

Basically they use your PC's processor non-stop, are nigh on unremovable and pose a relatively high security threat should virus writers takea advantage of it, which is almost enivatable. So you've been warned and I suggest if you have bought such a CD that you look at the risks and see if it is worth trusting Sony with your computer and giving them your money.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Someone on a World of Warcraft hack forum already commented on how to utilize this rootkit to hide their warcraft crack from blizzard scanners.

In otherwords, malicious individuals are already figuring out ways to use this method to create virus, trojans, spyware, malware, etc, that will be much much more difficult to detect and remove.

In other other words, (pardon the dumb expression), just don't by Sony cds. If you did, I strongly suggest you to find a good rootkit scanner and then get help to safely remove this.

As for Sony's business practice of using a rootkit to copy-protect their CDs, I think that's crossing the line. They are resorting to virus-writers' techniques to protect their materials. In the EU, that's a violation of commerce laws, since they have altered the user's computer softwares without the user's knowledge.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

They own the governments, they can do whatever they want with their CD copy protection, me, I'll just defeat it by holding down the shift key in windows if I ever buy a sony disk. Or I will use linux as my OS. Either method supposedly is breaking the law if you ask sony, but I will pick the lesser of two evils when something like this comes along, and opening my computer up to viruses, hackers, and identity theft would be the greater of two evils, so shift key it is.

Signature Image

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

As a helpful note, if you suspect that your system is infected by this rootkit, or any rootkit for that matter, you may want to try the RootkitRevealer developed by Mark Russinovich, the same man who revealed Sony's use of xpc to the public.

The handy little program is found here: http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/rootkitrevealer.html

EternalParadox

Just scan my PC and there is no rootkit found.
phew! :D

Finally I can get some decent sleep!

But still I think this is plain Wrong!
DRM sux!

Edit:
Here is something else interesting about the Sony BMG nonsense.
Article, click here

Maybe this person found a solution!?

Blocking method

Signature

The thing is that disabling autorun and using Rootkit scanners might work, but it doesn't help 99% of computer users who don't know how to do that. The thing is that they should NOT be allowed to do that, so rather than having everyone fix it themselves it should be stopped entirely.

Ehh heh heh heh, looks like Sony got some serious question to answer!
Yeah! XD

link
Also this is the most idiotic quote I have ever read.
link

Signature

Raiynagh

Raiynagh

fr0gm45+3r

Yes, sony are now officially evil. And viruses exist to exploit said rootkit.

If we talk in a very high pitched voice, the fish can't hear us...

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

I really really feel sorry for Van Zant. They've become the poster child in the Sony debacle.

Take a look at Amazon's customer review page for the Get Right with the Man CD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00092ZM02/ref=cm_rev_all_1/104-4879445-1482330?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=music

lol

Edit:

You don't need to download TweakXP to disable autorun. There are two easy ways to do it.

1. change the system registry, instructions for which are at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q155217/

2. Start >> run >> GPEDIT.MSC >> Computer Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> System >> Turn Off Autoplay >> double click, change option to on for all drives.

It is strongly suggested that one turn off autorun, especially since the average user will run their pc on administrative mode and thus has all the privileges to ruin their system.

EternalParadox

Well the legal action has begun as the Italian cyber-crime dept are investigating the software and apparently if Sony are found to be in the wrong which is seeming highly likely, then action will be taken. Well I gess that is what they deserve for backstabbing their loyal customers.

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

There is a way to beat it. It is so simple that you'll kick yourself in the pants! :D Problem is, I can't tell you.........or not here at least. If a mod let me, Iwill. ^_^'

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

Don't use a stupid operating system which runs programs on CDs which you insert without asking you first?

Quote by LigerZSchniderThere is a way to beat it. It is so simple that you'll kick yourself in the pants! :D Problem is, I can't tell you.........or not here at least. If a mod let me, Iwill. ^_^'

This has already been said, just disable autoplay.

Signature

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Quote by tiki223

Quote by LigerZSchniderThere is a way to beat it. It is so simple that you'll kick yourself in the pants! :D Problem is, I can't tell you.........or not here at least. If a mod let me, Iwill. ^_^'

This has already been said, just disable autoplay.

But how would be able to store them on your computer? The reason everyone is in a fit about it because they are no longer able to convert the songs to MP3 for IPods, and other MP3 players., using these type discs. I learned a way to take these discs and convert them to MP3 WITHOUT the use of the comptuers CD drive. ;)

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

I thing LigerZSchnider is talking about a CD who broke up with its patner and what it would call that partner, if you get my drift.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.