Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Linguistic enquiry - Minitokyo

Linguistic enquiry

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Hello.
An idea struck me, why not to ask the MT community.
Im gonna explain, just a sec.
You see im particularly interested in learning foreign languages including english. and when i come across some things which are new to me its nice when there's a person to ask 'what's this phrase/expression and how would i use it' etc. currently i dont have a person address with the question
i'd be especially glad to see a comment of a native speaker but all suggestions are very welcome.
so you know there are words 'defense' and 'offense' which are kind of french and which are spelled with 'c' in BrE. normally i'd out stress on the last syllable but in the game called Quake 3 bots or players would use phrases like 'im on defense' 'im on offense' with the stress on the first syllable. So is it a feature, does it sound ok. and is it used only for fun or it has an intention to pay particular attention to the word. its not quite clear. i think the same question refers to rikku's phrase (in the english version) when she says 'its a covert operation' with covert pronounced with different stress.
I hope the question is clear.
Thanks in advance for looking at the thread

mitchell

mitchell

Dragonfly789

i don't quite understand....could you explain it clearer?

Signature

Anime Currently Watching:- Haruhi Suzumiya - Dragonball Z - Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Games Currently Playing:- Final Fantasy IX/XIII - Star Ocean The Last Hope - Oblivion GOTY

Each person has a different accent, if others are able to understand than you are fine. Plus they shouldn't make fun of you, that shows disrepect.

e.g. The word "Harvard"
some people will pronounce it like so "Har" "Verd"
while others pronounces it like: "Hav" "Verd".

Phone: "Fffff-own"
P "p" Paa-hon-ne!

I hope I answer correctly what you had in mind, if not please
explain it with examples as what you are trying to say.

Signature

happygreendragonfly

happygreendragonfly

The Cheerful Person

I agree with tiki223. As long as people can understand what you're saying then everything should be fine! The English language butchers the correct pronunciations, anyways... If you know what I mean! ^__^

There are, also, several ways you can pronounce a certain word.
Like: Caramel - ca-ra-mel or car-mel
Like: Chocolate - chok-co-let or shoc-co-let
Like: Susan - su-san or su-son
**Names are particularly tricky because depending on the person you're calling or talking to wants their name enunciate a certain way.**

But there are a lot of people who mispronounce either because they want to or they don't know the correct pronounciation. However, it is important to be as close to the correct enunciation as possible for people to understand you. If you're way off, they give you THE LOOK! Whether it be "are you an idiot?". "the hell are you saying?", "this person needs to speak right before talking to me!" looks.

I hope this helps you! ^__^

Sakurose

Sakurose

[)eja-\/u

lol isn't it spelled..."inquiry"?...jw

Signature
~A memory of he once lived~

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.