Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Drawings of the prophet Muhammed! - Minitokyo

Drawings of the prophet Muhammed!

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 104 total items

A danish newspaper and a Norwegian christian paper have relased papers with drawings of the Islam prophet Muhammad. Some of you probably heard there are lots of uproar in the islam countries who worship prophet Muhammad right now.
Today demonstrants set fire on the Norwegian and Danish Embassy in Damascus, Syria.
The Danish embassy burned to the ground. There was no persons in the bulidings.
Some grups have claimed that they will bomb targets in Norway and Denmark.

The fact that a newspaper in Denmark have printed these pictures is not ok but they din't know better at the time probably. This was in atumn 2005.
In january 2006 a CHRISTIAN paper printed these pictures.
By this time the editor of the danish newspaper had gotten threats saying he will be killed. The editor in the norwegian and danish paper is now under police protection.

I'm not christian but i thing the chistian newspaper shoud know that printing pictures of the prophet Muhammad is illegal in islam countries. The islam countries claims an apoligy from the editor and primeminister in norway and denmark. The danish have said they are sorry for printing these pictures. But they are still waiting for norway who said, "We have the freedom of speech, were not sorry.". Beacuse of thath we have gotten bombthreats.

To draw pictures of a prophet and print them is beyond believes to me. I know the muslims are angry and they respond to that.
I kinda support them, but not with violence.

What is your opinion of this matter?

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

i am a muslim. and i feel bothered by whats going on in this matter.
i have seen the pictures, and what the pictures represent. it is very offensive. for they made fun of our prophet. with all do respect. you can not make fun of other people's beliefs especially a prophet. im not saying they have to like our beliefs, im saying they atleast have to respect it. and if they dont want to respect it. then they could atleast not show it in the manner they did.
the burning of the embassy, the way i see it is wrong. any sane person or muslim will tell you that. the ones who commited such actions were extremists.
how would you feel if someone made fun of your father? or belief? or prophet? and in such an ugly way. one would be angry...
also, no bombthreats should have been made, it is a threat of a terrorist-like action. it goes against islam completely. that is not our way what so ever. we discourage it. again, these are extremists.
but, as extremists, they must find a way to deal with what has been done to shame our prophet, so, they threaten.
in summery, making fun of our prophet is wrong, immoral, irrationl, and will only bring about trouble. however, threatning is also wrong, and not the way to deal with this delima. 2 wrongs do not make one right.

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

I applaud you for your honest insight, but extremist not only threat they kill indiscriminately. That is what I have a problem with. There are other ways to either get a point across, or make your voice heard, killing innocents isn't one of them.

All that does is get them killed and cast a bad light and unwanted prejudice on the religion, and those who may have interest in it, and those who practice it.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

sukumei

sukumei

Running A Critiquing Service

they made fun of the Great Prophet? that is unbelievable. The act of humans...

I would like to run a friendly critiquing service for Minitokyo artists. I will try to make my opinions professional and defiantly unbiased although i will speak ideas for the general public. Critiquing service MT thread

I am not a religous person myself, but I do think it is wrong to not only violate ones religon by printing the image but then discracing it. Only to say "We're not going to apologize" I emphansize with muslims being upset over such matters. Also as was stated earlier the violence was not needed. but at the same time ALL parties responsible for the posting of the picture at all should apologize to the muslim world.

"I've had too many stand-offs with you and its about as much as I can stand."

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

I strongly oppose the publication of these cartoons. The belittling mockery of an important religious figure in the Islamic faith is crass and truly tasteless. The root of the current violence is extremists who practice religious fanaticism, not all followers of Islam. Thus to make fun of the Prophet Mohammed is an insult to an entire religion and achieve no purpose other than to anger and offend many Muslims. What if someone made cartoons of Christ and made fun of him? I am certain that Christians would be very offended.

Certainly, violence is not the best course. But we must remember that insulting an entire religion is not a proper course of action either. If we wish to reduce the power and lure of religious fanaticism in the Middle East, then people must respect Islam as a religion. Insulting Islam with these cartoons will only give greater legitimacy to extremists in the Middle East by presenting another reason to fight against the "infidels" of the West.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

I'm an atheist and although I believe that although the posting on the newspapers isn't the kindest thing that the newspapers could have done, It is perfectly legal for the media in a democracy to post a comic unless it causes undue harm. Which might happen because they're are a lot of extremely riotous followers of Islam out ther right now.

Another thing that I dislike about the middle-eastern countries anger at Denmark and the other European countries is that as soon as anyone even criticizes any part of thier religion or religious law, take the dutch filmaker Van Gogh's criticism of the treatment of women and his assassination, yet it's not like middle-eastern countries have a problem about making jokes about the jewish religion.

Although I'll admit it is extremely disrespectful to muslims' beliefs the newspapers do have the right to post the comics.

And here's one of my favorite quotes about the rights of the media
"Our liberty depends on freedom of the press and that cannot be limited without being lost."
-Thomas Jefferson

First, from what I have read these pictures were more a kind of humour... and not an insult, after all the pics were aimed to a certain group of people. I know it's the freedom of speech but I also think that using the freedom of speech just to use it isn't a good way, especially if it hurts or make fun of other people (that's why I think the other newspapers didn't have to print just to support the one that makes this move, especially since it makes things more difficult for european people in islamic places).

And err... I really think that there are already cartoons making fun of the Christ... well seeing that there are satiric shows making fun of the pape, of God...

And wasn't there Sinead O Connor that once tear up a picture of the previous pope ? It had really shocked some people, and Ireland had a few problems because of that.

Signature

Kyoo69

me -> Kyo`

Those drawings didn't bother me at all, but then again I don't worship any religion so how could they. But I agree that they shouldn't be exposed like that and people that published them should knew that they could and did offend people with islam believes. I don't want to sound lame, because I don't think what happens now is right, but they are getting what they wanted. Did they actually believed that no one will react to that?

up up and away

Traize

Traize

Design Student

Thats the crux of the matter, what the hell did these newspapers expect? Though I believe in freedom of speach, there is a fine line between freedom of speach & being insulting, though I feel many Islamic communities are quick to take the view of something as insulting rather than comedic, I can certainly appreciate what they must be feeling now.

Its even worse when a situation that could have been avoided but has since gotten out of hand, could be diffused with a single word, but that the supposedly mature individuals with the power to say that word refuse to on the basis of their own pride.

Signature
Dick Van Dyke is my Chuck Norris

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

"your liberty stops where the other's begin" right?

the press had the right to publish those drawings. And any press should always be free to publish anything they want, and should never be sorry for publishing something provocating ( in the end, isnt that the very goal of a caricaturist? )

However, it is not the most intelligent thing to do to provoque the muslim world as it is right now, knowing very well how oppressed and agitated it is. Not only are the caricatures of bad taste and not quite funny, but they were originally published in september then REpublished ONLY to gain more attention. Now that is a stupid behavior.

Press has the right to publish many things, but it also has the right to decide NOT to publish some others.

merged: 02-05-2006 ~ 02:55pm
The BBC reports Jack Straw’s reaction to the furore:

There is freedom of speech, we all respect that.

But there is not any obligation to insult or to be gratuitously inflammatory.

I believe that the republication of these cartoons has been insulting, it has been insensitive, it has been disrespectful and it has been wrong.

There are taboos in every religion. It is not the case that there is open season in respect of all aspects of Christian rites and rituals in the name of free speech.

Nor is it the case that there is open season in respect of rights and rituals of the Jewish religion, the Hindu religion, the Sikh religion.

It should not be the case in respect of the Islamic religion either.

We have to be very careful about showing the proper respect in this situation.

Traize

Traize

Design Student

Oh I agree, freedom of speach should not be limited, unless that limit is imposed by the speaker for reasons of sensibility or respect.

In the end if it was all just a joke & a laugh fine, personally they could write a million comics mocking me or my beliefs, but as long as they're just comics, whose intention is only a light hearted take on something serious, then why the hell not?

Whilst I can appreciate the Muslim position on this, for me its a case of "6 of one, half a dozen of the other".

You know, I can appreciate people being unhappy about this as its kind of gone beyond a harmless jibe, but it does seem the Muslim communities are very thin skinned...

I don't mean that in an insulting way by the way, I do appreciate their unhappiness, but the sign of a mature person is appreciating the jokes made in jest, smiling at the ignorance levelled at you & ignoring those who would try to get a rise out of you for kicks...

Signature

I'm Muslim, so this issue naturally grabbed my attention. I'm not going to question the fact that they had the right to print those caricatures, I don't think that's really the issue here. What really disgusts me is the attitude of those who republished them then maintain that they're not wrong. They seem to be deliberately mocking Muslims, sending out the message, "Yes, we're insulting Muslims, but you can't touch us because we have the right." It's disgusting. To visually depict religous figures such as the Prophet in itself is considered blasphemous in Islam, so imagine how Muslims felt when the Prophet was mocked as well. I could accept that the first publication was a result of ignorance, but to republish the caricatures even after the uproar...

However, I have to say, I am apalled by those who have made death threats or called for acts of violents against the people who published these caricatures. Such actions are definitely not going to help matters, to say the least.

I apologise for ranting, or if I've said something inappropriate, but I just wanted to make my opinion known.

harlequin

harlequin

Condrestl Abdello

Quote: And any press should always be free to publish anything they want, and should never be sorry for publishing something provocating

Right, so while we're doing that, let's just let the media have all of our national secrets so the enemy (any enemy) will know and understand our national securities or lack of them.

One thing that needs to be noted here, the muslim religion is not one of practical peace, as can be found in evidence from it's scriptures. However, as a Christian, I will tolerate the Muslim religion. I find it increasingly difficult to do that, especially given the below images, among other recent events in our history.

I just love these photos, don't you?

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/holo.jpg
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/hell002.jpg
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/911euro.jpg
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/behead.jpg
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/massacre.jpg
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/annihilate.jpg
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/disbelievers.jpg

They just make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Oh, and since I'm Christian, could I go ahead and wave a few signs around at some of the art I've found less than tolerable? Such as.. crap and piss on Jesus with crucifix that was glorified at a New York art exhibit (and received national media attention), or.. maybe the recent drawing of Bin Laden as Jesus, complete with crown of thorns (which receives.. almost no attention from the same media?)?

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/binladenchrist.jpg

Should we Christians have began a riot and burning buildings in the same fashion? No, instead we were pretty quiet about that minus a few protests. Last I checked we weren't burning down state embassies:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/syrian.jpg

Oh, and don't worry for anyone in disagreement or disbelief with me -- I don't get all of my news from Michelle Malkin, but I will tell you that she posts some rather nice photos and other information I wouldn't see elsewhere, such as on TV. I -love- being up to date and somewhat informed, which is hard pressed to say for alot of folks on here. Sorry if I've offended, not entirely my intention, but I figure if this topic is going to be discussed, it needs a little bit of realism and the realization for some that alot of folks are living in a dreamworld when it comes to this.

Traize

Traize

Design Student

I'm in Japan so I haven't heard all that much on this, I've just checked out some news reports since my first post on this subject & frankly, I am shocked.

I thought this was a limited thing, but seeing how widespread this has become is most disturbing.

The banners on display in London... Just, why the hell do these people even reside in the UK? If you hate they hate their place of residence so much, why the hell are they living there?

Yet more reasons for me to come back to Japan as soon as I can permanently, none of this stupidity here...

Signature

The government in Syria dind't do anything to stop the burning og the embassys in Damascus yesterday.

Just heard that the danish consulate in Beirut, Lebanon, is set on fire.
Things are happening fast and some people think this could be the start of a new World War. I don't think this will happen.

A campaign on the danish cellphones said that we should burn the koran.
I don't know what is wrong with people, but to sai they will burn the koran is just shocking to me.
An exstreme right group said they would go to war with muslims in Norway.
This is an Norwegian group e-mailed the Islam leaders in Norway.
Saying bad things will happen to muslims in Norway if they don't apoligy the flagburning. Right now i'm little ebarassed to be a norwegian.
But don't let this lead to a war.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Traize

Traize

Design Student

Yeah, heres hoping it calms down.

Thing is, this would be a very different war, I mean, how do you fight people that suddenly appear & blow up?

You can't just fight all Muslims, because the majority are good people...

Signature

blacknight2005

A SLEEPING DRAGON

i'm a muslim and islam have never been through vilonce or distroying proporties

or bloobshed , also we dont make fun of other relegion's beleive's . i'm completley aggienst those picture's that (harlequin) posted . islam have never been like that and it wont be , not even in a million year's .

finally i wanna say this : (( ISLAM IS INNOCEINT FROM WHAT (harlequin)

POSTED )) islam is innoceint from these behavior's .

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Traize

Traize

Design Student

Edit: Never mind me, I managed to make sense of the first part of your post...

I can see people being upset, but theres got to be something already present to make you willing to jump into this kind of stuff at any bit of provocation.

Signature

screenlooker

screenlooker

master chief's real face

if they in islamic countries made some jesus cartoons
i would think that its even
an eye for an eye

Godfrey of Ibelin: Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

Traize

Traize

Design Student

Hmm, but if they made comics mocking Christianity I don't think people would be blowing up embassies & threatening suicide bombings & if they were, the governments would immeadiately shut them down.

Signature

Quote by screenlookerif they in islamic countries made some jesus cartoons
i would think that its even
an eye for an eye

No ! in my country there's no such thing ! even though we are islamic !

i don't know maybe it's because i'm ignorant or stupid, but i think that everybody is just overreacting. i mean come on, someone made a funny picture of a prophet, buhu. in my opinion, if you believe that a prophet that is so important to the islamic world can be portraited by a silly picture in a newspaper, what kind of prophet is he then, when his own "worshipers" can't even make a difference between a stupid picture and the meaning behind the prophet and the prophet himself?

i can understand that those pictures are offensive, but there are certain manners every country has to follow and we can't just start a war, threatning everybody because someone said something against a certain "thing" that is very important to your own very special country. so i cannot understand why violence is the only way to have a conversation between two countries that do not agree with a certain topic and because the violence seems to be very active from the side of muslims i want to conclude that i thought people are more civilized nowdays without having to make a fucking kindergarten out of every situation, that goes to norway, denmark and to all people who feel offended by those silly pictures.

Traize

Traize

Design Student

Unfortunately, some people can't take a joke & some people turn a joke into a vindictive attack.

I had avoided putting my personal opinion of the rioters in here, but here goes seeing as Gomf has already pretty much said it...

Both sides are being idiots. There you have it.

You don't make efforts to irritate people & start fights.

You don't get all upset everytime someone says something stupid or insulting.

Its as simple as that, if you act in the above ways, you're generally pretty immature.

Not all Muslims or Christians etc are like this, but clearly plenty were looking for another reason to make some noise...

What really annoys me is that people who hate my culture & way of life so much, want to live in the same country that they hate & make use of the Western technology they seem to so despise.

I'm most certainly not racist, but everytime I see people walking the streets saying they want to kill the infidels & nonsense i kind of think perhaps they might just be better elsewhere, so they don't have to deal with us horrible people who have done nothing personally to them but whom they seem to hate.

(No I'm not saying this of all Muslims, just those who walk around saying 7/7 etc were good ideas)

Signature

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 104 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.