Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Strange pwned gif on every first download - Minitokyo

Strange pwned gif on every first download

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 34 total items

For every visit I make to the site in which I download pictures, the first time I try to download one, I get this strange little gif instead, and it costs as if the picture had really been downloaded. The pictures aren't corrupt or missing as other threads here seem to suggest, if I try to download the same one a second time it works, and thereafter things work normally. I tried out using two different browsers at more or less the same time, (Opera 8.51 and Konqueror 3.3.2), and both of them suffered such a failed download.

This happen to me in about 1 in 5 downloads, which is really annoying.

Does anybody know if it is something us (the users) are doing wrong or a MT technicality?

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

It's really neither, and it's something we apologize for. This seems to only affects a small number of users on a regular basis (I've actually never had it happen to me before). Apparently, if your network connection times out while you're trying to access the download server to view an image, the default placeholder image (pwn3d in red on a black background) appears. Refreshing usually fixes it; given that the problem is one of network connectivity, switching browsers probably won't help.

Hope that clarifies things. Again, apologies for the inconvenience.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Yep happens to me too, but when I refresh I loose 2 credits.

Some things which need stating/restating:

It doesn't seem like a network problem. The placeholder image loads immediately, there's no uncharacteristic pause.

It is following a very clear pattern without any deviation; in any session, the first attempt to download fails, every subsequent attempt works. I've observed exactly the same pattern again today. While I haven't been keeping accurate records of this, I reckon that the probability of any pattern of that degree of uniformity being observed if these things are happening randomly (assumption: any given download attempt has a 1 in 5 chance of failing) is already at least down to 1 in 1000, and that is after it has been multiplied by the number of members Minitokyo has, to take into account the fact that such a pattern has one chance of occurring for each active member.

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

It's happening to me as well (about 1 in 5), and i dont think it's a time out either. And everytime it does happen it's still costing credits :( There's a little assurance that it's not just me but it sounds s if it'll be something we just have to put up with

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

aneres

aneres

free to be yourself

It happens to me as well, only on certain wallspapers that I wish to download, causing me to waste credits. >.<

Signature
Courtesy of Diamarr. Arigatou Gozaimasu~!

MiniMog

MiniMog

My.Sweet.Serenity

It has happened to me, several times, also.. it is, indeed, annoying, as it causes the use of more credits, and also wastes download quota on something we haven't even been able to look at.

Quote by shinsengumi It's really neither, and it's something we apologize for. This seems to only affects a small number of users on a regular basis (I've actually never had it happen to me before). Apparently, if your network connection times out while you're trying to access the download server to view an image, the default placeholder image (pwn3d in red on a black background) appears. Refreshing usually fixes it; given that the problem is one of network connectivity, switching browsers probably won't help.

..but alas, it has been said that it is some sort of network connection problem.. non-effected by the site's server.. I thank you for clearing up the problem, shinsengumi.

Signature
Avatar, Signature Image and Userpage Layout by k1ru.

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

Time of day does affect it, I make sure to reboot my PC and network connection completely if weird stuff starts to happen. But it makes sense if too many users are after the same image, the queue simply caves in and pown3s you!

-repeat-

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

for a site that has a basic traffic of 500 people, it is normal to assume a jammed connection or time out.
especially during peak hours. Keep your cool, and download again, it usually works after the second time.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

So far, since making the thread, I've correctly predicted whether or not I'd get a "bad connection" by my pattern ten times, (no wrong predictions), with seven successes and three failures, something which if it were random at a chance of 1/5, would have a 1 in 600 chance of happening.

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Happens to me sometimes, there is no indication of a network timeout, instead of the wallpaper you were expecting you get a "pwn3d" image, refresh immedately and the wallpaper shows up.

Actually there is something different about how it loads when you get the pwn3d image: Normally when you go to download a wall, it takes a few seconds for the connection to the download server to kick in and start sending you the wall, so all you see a blank background page for that time. When you get the pwn3d image it loads INSTANTLY with the page with zero delay connecting to the download server. It is not a network timeout, for whatever reason the server connects and sends the pwn3d image instatnly instead of the wallpaper. I am absolutely positive it is a bug in the system not a network issue.

Signature Image

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

This is what you'd see if you download an image that's actually corrupted:

http://download.minitokyo.net/908/

So anything that has pwn3d is still there, so try again later.

I'll look into the "instant" pwn3d phenomenon.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Hello,

I join to all those friends that found the pwn3d gif page; I found it here: Yami to Boushi hon no Tabito by exentric .

Thanks for your efforts to make everything work right.

Bye.

4n991

4n991

Nefertiti Resurrected

gosh i do experience this thing too even unfortunately 'till today, i couldn't download anything from Mt.net since 3 days ago and even worse i cannot see and i cannot open any pictures in minitokyo arts [all of the wallpapers & everything]! whenever i tried to open it, it failed & wen i refreshed it, i lost my free download quota...I'm sooooo very upset....wat is really wrong anyway, is it my ISP/connection or just my bad luck wic seem to happen continously here...hiks-hiks, help me...

Winds of Flowing Wings
Signature
::credit to Toxictea23::

it happens to me as well but even refreshing doesnt fix it sometime irefresh ten times but istill see that pon3dand iloosing my all my credits without downloading asingle wallpaper

I haven't really noticed if it was true before but with the fdq set to 5, I have noticed this too. it's the fourth day that I got for my first download a pwn3d pic.

Since I use IE, I don't think it's a browser problem.

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

I just lost a bunch of credits to this also >_>

Get PWNED image on a bunch of gallery items, and refreshing it just takes more credits and shows PWNED again T.T

EternalBlue

EternalBlue

Crystal Eternity

Yes, I just lost 3 downloads to the PWNED image >.> all in a row too, not just the first one like usual. It's getting to be more frequent for me, so I definitely hope it's fixed soon T_T

Refreshing and reloading the page did nothing aside from use up free downloads and credits

WWLAOS

DOMiT

I just blew my entire dowload quota for the day, plus more than a full credit trying different wallpapers (thinking maybe just some of them were nutty) and reloading like a madman (since that used to work in the past). It has been getting worse, as of late, but this is ridiculous. There's no delay, no "network timing out," the pwned image just pops up like a happy little puppy you don't want but can't squish.

You see this kind of thing all the time...it invariably ends with eating people. - Dr. Dale L. Reuss

ass.. my credits gone.. every pic cant be downloaded..

if i could give you one gift, i'd give you the ability to see yourself as i see you. so you could see yourself perfectly.

Quote by MiniMogIt has happened to me, several times, also.. it is, indeed, annoying, as it causes the use of more credits, and also wastes download quota on something we haven't even been able to look at.

Quote by shinsengumi It's really neither, and it's something we apologize for. This seems to only affects a small number of users on a regular basis (I've actually never had it happen to me before). Apparently, if your network connection times out while you're trying to access the download server to view an image, the default placeholder image (pwn3d in red on a black background) appears. Refreshing usually fixes it; given that the problem is one of network connectivity, switching browsers probably won't help.

..but alas, it has been said that it is some sort of network connection problem.. non-effected by the site's server.. I thank you for clearing up the problem, shinsengumi.

don't think so. :\ it's an international site so the people here would have different ISP's and they seem to have the same problem. therefore i think there's something wrong with the server. ~_~ i've wasted my download quota and a lot of credits for nothing. T_T

From now on I'm gonna test if the site is working by checking a 0.0 credit picture before checking anything else, if it doesn't work and PWNED comes up at least I won't waste a lot of credits! I advise you guys to do the same.

I keep on getting that pwned gif to, but on all my downloads >.< three credits gone coz of it >.< what's going on?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 34 total items

Back to Bug Reports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.