Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Burning the National Flag. Is it Acceptable? - Minitokyo

Burning the National Flag. Is it Acceptable?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

I've seen (in TV) in many protests (usually against another country), the protesters expressed their anger by burning a country's flag. Do you think it's normal, due to something called 'freedom of speech', or do you find it insulting (especially if you find out that the falg burned is your country's). Just wonder, because I've seen many USA, Australia, UK, and Denmark flag were burned (after they stepped and cursed it before).

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

Well i honestly don't care much, what was ironic is when Australians started burning Australian flags. I forget what they were protesting but if you think a flag stands for everything in your country i would call that quite shallow. Burning a flag is really quite immature or anyone, maybe if they started burning buildings and landmarks you'ld get a little irritated. If they bought the flag with their own money then the jokes on them for burning their own money, if they didn't buy it themselves hen they could probably be picked up for vandalism anyway.

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

zazuge

Perv

Burning a flag is far better than killing people.

Belive me and DIE !

Well, down under, it's not illegal to burn the Australian flag.

Is it really going to effect anyone? They burnt a flag which harms no-one. It is their opinion on their/another's country.

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

It's just a stupid flag come on, we get more upset in the USA over the flag being burned then we do a soldier dying in Iraq or George W. lying about WMDs.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

i was thinking about writing a long text, depicting my whole opinion about this topic ... but you know what? i'll just tell you a funny joke, how about that?

back in those communistic days when stalin was still alive he once had a nice chitchat with roosevelt and roosevelt said: "well, look how far we've come. we are a country with freedom of speech and democracy and all that stuff. and we are truely more open-minded than a few years ago ... like if a person nowdays were to burn an american flag infront the white house ... well, i wouldnt be very happy 'bout it but ... got no problem with that you know ... i mean we are a free country, right?".
the russian president then answered "oh that's nothing, you should see us, even if a hundred people were to burn american flags on the red square ... we wouldnt mind at all".

it's a bit corny but ... who cares.

Kubrickfan

Chief Librarian

hahaha nice joke. like a pick me up one. hahha well to agree with little jonny up there, it is quite immature and stupid. But it does get the point across. HA, I like to see that iran or iraq try and unite it self without america. well okay not iran. whatever.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Burning the flag in a protest is something I believe in IF it is done in protest aginst a problem with the government BECAUSE the flag is a symbol of our democracy but any other reason is bad.

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

The actual act of burning a country's flag is an insult to that country (of course). It's a symbolic act and whether you choose to be offended by this is up to you.

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

The flag is a symbol of a nation, and by burning it, it sends a message to the citizens or whoever. Unless you're die hard about your country, seeing a burning flag won't really affect you.

Signature Image

It would be much better if they will burn the picture/symbol of the one they are trying to protest...not burning the own flag...if your burning the flag, your angry with your country right? So why not just go to another country if you're discontented with it? LOL... I agree with someweirdguy that the flag is the symbol of the nation. I believe it's not the country itself that you're protesting right, it's the person like president for, example, his actions. Bottomline: Don't let your anger out in the poor flag but let it out to the person's symbol/picture...some sort of that...

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

I don't really consider it acceptable (especially with what this country has gone through to secure that freedom and all the meaning behind our flag) but it is a Free country and protesting is a freedom we have. I will leave you with the amusing "Proper way to burn your country's flag"
1. Soak flag in gasoline
2. Wrap self in flag
3. Light flag.
A little macabre but amusing.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Since when was freedom of speech equal to freedom to burn flags. I mean, I thought that was the freedom to express yourself in protest, not speech.

But yes, I think people should be able to burn flags. Do I think it's smart? No. I think they should spend more time making good arguments for their opinions and debating it. Not burning flags like idiots.

Charmaynard

Charmaynard

The Best Part Of Waking Up

The only time you are to burn a flag is if it is damaged or unfit to fly, for example, if it touched the ground.

Try The Lizard, You'll Love It.

I do not care one way or another. I just do not see what the point in it would be though. I also agree with what alexjohnc3

Quote by alexjohnc3Since when was freedom of speech equal to freedom to burn flags. I mean, I thought that was the freedom to express yourself in protest, not speech.

But yes, I think people should be able to burn flags. Do I think it's smart? No. I think they should spend more time making good arguments for their opinions and debating it. Not burning flags like idiots.

The only time I feel that it is right to burn a flag is in the ceremony in which the flag is retired, after a long life of proper use. The stripes are cut into strips and the blue field is left in a square. The flag is then burned. When I took part in a flag retirement ceremony, we burned the flag on a marble slab or some such to continue the tradition of not allowing the flag to touch the ground. I feel that burning a flag out of hate is a poor choice of a political statement. If one wants to make a statement, make one that is more directed at the persons responsible. Don't use something that is a symbol of an entire nation. Remember, not everyone in a nation may think that the acts being protested are the correct actions to take.

LavaBug

panzerkardinal

as been said before: it's just a stupid flag, probably even massproduced in china...
also it would be nice if you gave a context to your tv observation ...
anyway, i believe what really matters is WHY the flags are burned and seeing how certain countries act, like they were ancient romans trying to pacify other nations for doubtful use and reasons, i kinda understand why people do that.
What would you do to let the world know, you're incontent with certain ongoings, when there's noone to listen, even if you could talk sense... ?

i hope you get my point, my english takes a vacation from time to time ^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please cut this part out...then eat it ^^

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

Quote by NeoNexusThe only time I feel that it is right to burn a flag is in the ceremony in which the flag is retired, after a long life of proper use. The stripes are cut into strips and the blue field is left in a square. The flag is then burned.

What you say is true; the flag is burned when it is retired.

When the flag is burned whole, it is a political demonstration against the United States.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

You can burn a flag but you cannot burn what made someone stitch it.

Shinku-sama

*Toxic Waist*

i feel that if something really important happened with my government that i didn't belive in (such as another war, illegalization of abortion, anything trampling the Bill of Rights), i would burn the flah in protest. it's a very serious action that shouldn't be taken lightly. i love my country, but i'm worried about the direction it's headed in.

In case of emergency, break glass. Scream. Bleed to death.

Wermp

Friendly Neighborhood Navy Nuke.

Quote by Shinku-samaI feel that if something really important happened with my government that I didn't belive in (such as another war, illegalization of abortion, anything trampling the Bill of Rights), I would burn the flag in protest. it's a very serious action that shouldn't be taken lightly. I love my country, but i'm worried about the direction it's headed in.

I whole heartedly side with you in this statement. If it was a Bill of Rights issue, I would defend it with a high and mighty level of vigor. If I had to burn a flag to draw attention to a serious issue, I very well might do it. Take note though that I would not do it if I did not feel it a very serious cause like those that would be involved in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution.

Burning a flag, in my opinion, isn't just burning a piece of cloth. If you saw a person waving a piece of cloth nailed to a stick around in the air, you would think them odd an probably not go near them, but when it's the flag of the country, it symbolizes what they see in it. Everyone thinks of different things when they see the American flag, and the Japanese flag, and the Iraqi flag, even within one's own country. Burning it is a relatively peaceful way of saying that either what you originally saw in that flag is dead in your eyes, or that it represents something you hate to begin with.

Burning a flag is just a symbol of protest. If you love your flag good for you but there shouldn't be laws against it

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.