Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Who buys anime on DVD? - Minitokyo

Who buys anime on DVD?

Do you buy anime DVDs?

No, I'll stick to fansubs, thanks
7 votes
Yup, it's the only way I watch anime.
17 votes
No, because fansubs are free
1 votes
Sometimes, if I liked the fansub of the series
16 votes
No, I don't have access to any
2 votes
Sometimes, since I don't always have the money
29 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 76 total items

natsume44

natsume44

Yamapi Fangirl

Sorry if this has already been done before, but I was curious. ^_^

So anyway, the title pretty much says it all. Who buys anime DVDs? I know most of you guys on this site don't have access to DVDs because of where you live and whatnot, but what about the people that do have access?

Judging by the majority of opinions around here, most people perfer fansubs, which is alright - I download fansubs too. But how many of you buy the DVDs of series you've already seen subtitled? I know a lot of people complain about English dubs, but they've actually gotten pretty good over the last year. I think I might be one of the few people looking forward to Funimation's release of Tsubasa, since they've done really good jobs on Full Metal Alchemist and Fruits Basket. Plus, if you don't like the dubs, DVDs always come with a subtitled track as well.

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is that would you rather keep fansubs of you're favorite series where you can usually only watch them on your computer, or would you rather have them on DVD, which is usually expensice, but has overall better quality and less of a chance of being deleted or lost?

And just so you all know, I don't mean for this to turn into some kind of sub vs. dub war. There's already plenty of threads for that. ^_^

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

I buy a lot of DVD's, usually on a blind buy. I buy them simply because I like having them in the best quality I can both visually and sound wise. I do prefer subtitles, and while some may claim that fansubs are more accurate, that is far from always true. I do get fansubs on some of the more scetchy titles that I may find could be a waste of money, but usually I just end up waiting for sales online and buying them. Besides, anime production is a business, and without money they can't continue putting out titles for my viewing pleasure. I have no problem plopping down some cash for quality entertainment.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

I'm in the "both" category. I watch fansubs as they are coming out and in most cases unliscenced here in America. If I like the series then I'll buy it when all the DVDs are out, so I can get the whole series all at once.

As for a sub vs. dub war, I think I agree with you on what you said about dubs getting better over the past few years. I think instead of people focusing on dub vs. sub they should focus on the best experience.

After I watch fansubs (the whole series) I delete them from my PC. I'm a firm believer in "if you like it, buy it" and on top of that the audio and visual quality is much better than your average fansub on DVD. Plus, it makes me proud when I look at my anime collection sitting on my shelves. Such pretty little boxes.

Signature Image

Well, I do buy them :)
I don't exactly have time to watch the anime I like on their time slot all the time since I have a lot to do, so I buy the DVD so I can watch them anytime I can and like. So DVDs are pretty much the only way I get to watch the anime...

(Yep. Even if the release of the DVDs are much later than when the eps. was shown on TV..I just wait.)

Daemoro

Daemoro

Charatouille or Bust

Sometimes when a series (which I like) gets licensed. If not, I'll borrow fansubs off a screening or buy the *coughKOscough* if they aren't licensed yet.

According to my calculations, your problem doesn't exist.

Oh, and mostly anti-celeb/anti-Hollywood/anti-commercial since 1978

WindAlchemist

WindAlchemist

Waiting for you to find me...

id have to say that i buy 90% of all anime and manga ive ever seen.
i enjoy my anime more when i can watch it anywhere or bring it anywhere and not have to be restricted to just my computer. i will download the occasional series only if im really really unsure if i will like it or its just not worth buying, but i still feel like seeing it. my computer is not the downloading type though so ive never even downloaded a whole series so you can imagine how that whole situation goes down -_- ;;
plus when i buy it with my own money for some reason i feel proud to have it like ive accomplished something since i worked for the money that bought it so in a way it feels a little more fulfilling. ^_^'

Signature Image

akuma2002

akuma2002

~~ Ecchi desu ~~

I'm about the same as WindAlchemist, i bought every anime i loved in fansub :D
(french or z1 dvds)

And i have 226 dvds now XD

You will take proper responsibility for killing me -- Arcueid Brunestud, Shingetsutan Tsukihime

Wugz

analord

Just bought the European release of Cowboy Bebop box 1/2. My first anime purchase. Anime costs ridiculous amounts, so I can't afford too much. Good thing there aren't that many worth owning.

Certain series I buy from seeing the previews from other anime dvds I have. I do get fansubbed dvds from my cousin to find out if I like a series that is not released here yet to decide if I want to buy it when it does get released here.

sakurachriss5510

sakurachriss5510

*~*~*evErlAsTinG*~*~*~

Normally anime dvds are so much clearer, and may even have bonus stuff in them. But i will only buy if there is a full series available.

*tRue loVe prEvaiLs - asuCaga*

It's the only way I get mine although I get all mine imported from trusted sites so I know I won't get any questionable ones.

rorenzu

rorenzu

Mio Amakura

i buy dvds,

Together...forever...
Signature
sig and avatar by Kuya JaK

i just download cos its freeeee. and i dont care about the quality of subbing since i dont read them anyways :nya:

the only ones i have got on dvds are from Ghibli Studio cos i consider them as art.
but i sure would like to own more ....$$$ x_x

natsume44

natsume44

Yamapi Fangirl

Well it's nice to see that most of my assumptions are incorrect. ^_^ I guess I was mainly wondering because I never hear people talking about what they actually buy - it's almost always about fansubs. Plus, I only started downloading fansubs a few weeks ago (compared to 5 years of only buying DVDs), so I can see how it would be pretty tempting to save all your fansubs on disc or something and never buy a series, especially when you're almost always broke, like me. '^_^

SolarMan

SolarMan

No Boy No Cry

a while ago i bought Eureka 7 1-25 since i saw in on Adult swim and loved the anime. i was just too lazy to wait since the fansubs were down.

Signature

Hanazaki

Hanazaki

Current Anime: Hitman Reborn!

I do buy anime dvds. It's more like I'm collecting old anime like Cowboy Bebop, LAIN, etc. But I'm usually buy anime dvds in complete edition. The only fansub anime I had is BLEACH which I currently watch from a fansub ( I ask my sis to dwnload frm her friends). Yeah, right. I'm onto anime dvd!

Signature

I watch fansubs to check out series, but I buy ones I like becuase I like them but also to strengthen the industry.

searching for faith
in the stars of your eyes

I buy here and there, mainly I buy when the the price is right. At the moment I'm waiting for a boxset because I'm too stingy to buy each DVD seperately, which is fair enough since the boxset is $50 less. I tend to be a bit of an impulse buyer, but will only buy things that I've heard are good from a few other people.

Some series I buy on DVD, some I borrow from friends and other more obsure and unlisened ones I get from fansubs. Also if I really detest the localised version I might also download it.

They say downloads are bad for the industry, but if fansubs did't exist I'm sure that I wouldn't have bought half the DVD I have.

natsuki-hime

natsuki-hime

"There's no place like alone"

i buy here and there since im not exactly loaded with money i dont go off and buy every chance i get i usually buy seperate dvds because im too impatient to wait for the dvd boxsets to come out sometimes though i do get the boxsets if the price is low enough like 40$ i tend to buy anime which iv herd good things about from others or animes whose fansubs i liked and thats mainly the reason why i buy because if i really enjyed a series fansubbed ill usually get the wole series on dvd if it wernt for fansubs thers no way i wuldnt hav gotten some of the dvds i have.

Signature Image
A big ThankYou 2 k1ru 4 the sweet siggy here.

ChaoticOni

ChaoticOni

Timeless Existence

I only buy a series or ova when I have watched it at least once. Since the dvds are expensive for me, I would never go out and randomly buy a dvd. Animes such as Cowboy Bebop, or the Kenshin Ovas are the really good ones I really enjoy and I would like to support them. Advent Children was also another one I bought since the subbed one left me in amazement. In the end, I would watch it subbed first before I would use 30 bucks to buy a dvd.

KitClairvoyance

KitClairvoyance

The Secret Cookie Hoarder

I actually started watching anime by buying dvds, that was back in the time when fansubs were not well known.. As a kind of habit I've continued buying them occasionally, partly for collection, partly as I don't want to think I'm taking the producers fair share of profit..

I buy anime dvds both subtitled versions and dubbed versions. I watch anime on adult swim too.^^

Music is in your eyes.
Music is in your soul.
Music is surrounding, everywhere you see.
Music is a reflection of who we wish to be.

noxzmaze

noxzmaze

MazeaH

i donn't have to buy a lot of animevcd or dvd coz me & my friend change each other.so i can watch a lot of anime with save price >_< u can do it1

RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

Anime comprises about 70% of my DVD collection. I can't get enough of it. I only wish it didn't cost so much.

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 76 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.