Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The 'Tips for Doujinshi Artists' Thread Rewriting Project - Minitokyo

The 'Tips for Doujinshi Artists' Thread Rewriting Project

Group announcement by Doujinshi-Support-Club

This thread is pinned.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

patron saint of doujinshi

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9042/wapyhardwork268880lo9.jpg
Click on Wapy's wacky doujin-banner to view project-in-progress!
Check out her doujin here. Thanks, Wapy and minna-san! ^^^

Ephemeral-Garden, fireflywishes, and I are rewriting and editing the "Tips for Doujinshi Artists" thread to help people who are seeking help with their drawing skills. Click here for ephie's old thread.

We will then propose to the MT moderators that it be red-pinned on the Art Forum. We believe that this project will be a big boost to support independent art and aspiring artists in Minitokyo.

All you doujin artists out there -- whether you're in other MT doujin groups like Doujin-Arena, Canvas, Deviants, Artists-Viewers-United, New-Mangaka-Generation, UniversalMangaProyect, Kawaii-Doujin-Playground or going solo -- are happily welcomed to post your own tips and ideas here! Don't worry about your poor/bad English; we'll try to understand one another, ne? Your tips will be greatly anticipated and appreciated.

... and remember, support doujinshi and indy art! Some inspirational quotes: ^^^

"Doujinshi are also comics, but they are a kind of copycat comic. A rich ethic governs the creation of doujinshi. It is not doujinshi if it is just a copy; the artist must make a contribution to the art he copies, by transforming it either subtly or significantly. A doujinshi comic can thus take a mainstream comic and develop it differently -- with a different story line. Or the comic can keep the character in character but change its look slightly. There is no formula for what makes the doujinshi sufficiently 'different.' But they must be different if they are to be considered true doujinshi... Some things remain free for the taking within a free culture, and that freedom is good."
-- quoted from Free Culture: The Nature and Future of Creativity by Lawrence Lessig

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Hrm... since no else has posted anything yet... I guess I'll post some of my tips for good old fashioned hand-drawn work. :)

- If you are new to drawing in general I would suggest focusing on one thing to start off with. Proportions are usually a good place to start, and then from there you can work on shading, and then move to color.

-If you want to improve your skills in drawing people try drawing from references-- HQ scans or screenshots (not YouTube-esque ones) are good places to start. For backgrounds, try working on some still life.

-To expand your style try using different mediums. For example, if you only use graphite, try using something similar but different. Like charcoal or watercolor pencils. It'll give your composition a totally different look!

Signature Image

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

lovely project~ :D

I only draw anime humans so I can only share how to draw human Japanese anime-style in a single outline. (no shading, no shadows, just outlines)

- If you're quite new to drawing, you can basically start by refering to a certain character. It's always good to start with the character that you love the most, looking at your cute bishies always help since you'll want them to look cute and not distorted. ^^

- Always start with simple drawing. You can always choose a scan with a very easy pose and learn to copy and draw. You can either make a sketch or just a plain outlined drawing. For my case, I always draw using single outline because I can't shade well. >.< But it's still considered a drawing anyway.

- If you wanna make a good simple outlined drawing, avoid making frequent stops along the way. It'll make your drawing look jagged. Practice to draw certain parts with a single stroke. Especially the hair. That way it'll make the drawing look more smooth.

- If you wanna try simple shading on your drawing, you can always check out some pictures or scans which show clear shading lines. Manga-ka like Inoue Takehiko (Slam Dunk) has a very good example. ^^ Simple yet not-so-simple, but still look natural. :)

Signature Image

All blackheads in Mashima Hiro's mangas are my boyfriends. Owh yes they are.

KOKUJINDESU

KOKUJINDESU

TYRONE-KUN

I hate to even bring it up but every artist knows this:
PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!
When friends who draw want to know how to do what I do, I ask them to draw only one thing (eyes, mouths...) for a full day. Draw while you watch tv or whenever you get a chance.
It's a bore but soon enough, someone will ask you to draw something and you'll whip out an awesome drawing without hardly any effort (and they'll ask you how you did it!)

"We are but spiritual creatures enacting a physical existence."

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

lol, firefly and ephie, it looks like we're off to a slow start, but I hope other artists just barge in here and start sharing their own tips, too. Thanks so much for jumpstarting the thread!

I happened to chance upon this lovely tool that might aid us in editing? Do you think it's useful? Clicky! http://doujinshi-mt.wikispaces.com/i/b/80x15.gif
I already sent invites to your emails, so we could also edit the stuff there.

Oh, and thanks, candy-chan, for the thumbs-up! *sweatdrop* 'hope we get somewhere with the project!

KOKUJINDESU, thanks for the tip. Yes, your "P-cubed rule" is a must! Oh, but you must have some other special technique you use/learned... especially since you seem to dabble with watercolors in your artwork, right? Most of the tips already mentioned in ephie's thread were about how to skillfully use pens and pencils, but maybe you could share with us some of your own styles/techniques with watercolors?

'Hope to hear more tips from artists out there!

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

fidiou

fidiou

unknow

For begin, i think that it must like draw! Personally, i like to draw the hair and often it's the best of my doujinshi! For the technic, i draw with pencil and finish with pen (Reynolds inkpoint)! For the color, i make the shading with pencils and color with paint shop.

Signature
yo!!! I'm the teacher of doujinshi!

levezzali

levezzali

Purge Existence

Well, I hope I can give some contribution

References

If you wanna something good, you have to look at some reference. THis kind of reference is always linked to human aspects in my case, but looking into nature and other landscapes and scenery helps a lot when you are planning BG.

Characthers

Look at some photos, images around the net. that always help to have that shade you are looking for, that color and light you are should do to improve your work. Image banks are always a good thing to search for reference in human body.

Lots of artist have problems merging characters in good bgs, and so do I, that\'s why you should always get references of what you are going to do. Shadows in diferent places and angles are always hard to do, but looking closely to real images or nice artists are a good way to get the final result in the way you expect.

A nice (and free) stock image bank is www.sxc.hu ...

I hope I was good help!

Purified Existence of a Lost Soul

... ok ... I am not a that serious person !! XD

Frosty

Frosty

: One Luv :

interesting piece of article... I'll be sure to look into it... good job. XD

Signature

nostyle118

nostyle118

Invincible under the sun

Hi guys. I must say this is a very good idea (it'd be even cooler if it turns into a full blown tutorial section on MT ^^)

I also checked out the old thread by EPHEMERAL-GARDEN... and it is very good... I'd suggest checking it out first.

A few tips I can think of at the moment:

- Learn the 'mannekin' form. You know, the 'ball and socket' things you always see in beginner tutorials. It'll help you draw characters without copies.

- Don't just copy characters mindlessly, understand the form (why the arm looks/is positioned a certain way etc.) and proportions of characters.

- During (or after) drawing, look at your drawing from the back of the paper (or face it in a mirror). It'll help you see errors and imbalances to your drawing (really... ^^ it works).

- Don't hurriedly shade/ ink your drawing without making sure that you are 100% content with it. Try leaving your drawing for a while and take it easy.

- If you're a beginner, don't rely on shading too much. Form should be the first priority. The reason is, you might use shading to hide your errors (ouch I remember ^_^').

- If you wanna learn how to color... wait for someone else (lol sorry char ^_^')

Some inking tips:

- If you want to make manga-style black and white art. Learn CROSS HATCHING and LINE WEIGHT.

CROSS HATCHING: Using parallel (and or perpendicular) lines to create shading. Some good examples are: SLAM DUNK (already stated also REAL and VAGABOND), ZETMAN (by Katsura Masakazu), GUNNM (or BATTLE ANGEL ALITA by Yukito Kishiro).

LINE WEIGHT: "line weight refers to how thick a line is. Manga artists typically vary the thickness of their lines depending on what those lines have to do with the picture they're drawing. They use line weight as an illusion of depth without actually shading. It helps certain objects to stand out and helps our brains organize what we see" (taken from TOKYOPOP.COM) Basically lines not directly hit by light should have thicker lines. Examples would be: AIRGEAR (by Oh! Great) and most shoujo manga.

- You should be confident when inking. Ink with a steady hand.

- The characters should have thicker outlines than the background.

Well, that's all I could think off for now. Hopefully I can add some more. Hope someone would learn something from what I put up. Just remember to never be discouraged... a person can do anything he wants if he puts his mind to it.

To everyone who made this project. Good luck everyone. Sorry if this is such a long message guys.

"Heaven above, Hell below."

Hasuke

Hasuke

Type-Moon Tard

My advice? If you start to learn by drawing "manga style", you'll only handicap yourself. Learn some realism and basic human anatomy first, as once you grasp that, drawing anime will be a lot easier (considering anime is dumbed down human anatomy and all)

All the professionals have to learn the real thing before they can start drawing comics/manga, and it never hurts to have a good grasp on how the human body is, because then you need less references and start noticing "Hey, that part can't move that way" or "that muscle doesn't go there", so on so forth.

I suggest getting familiar with anatomy, most especially the skeleton, which can be applied to animals as well as humans, since all vertabrates have the same skeletal structure. And knowing how muscles work and where they attach helps a lot to making things look correct. as lots of people have already said.

Also spend a lot of time observing the real world. Just sit and watch whatever it is you want to draw. Learn how stuff works.

As for actual technique... I'm not the best person to ask, as most of my "drawing" is "scribble until my picture looks right." Although if it works for you, then go ahead, but if you want to be professional, then... don't do that. XD

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

fireflywishes

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Keep those tips coming minna-san!

I have updated the wikispaces entry with all of the tips that have been posted here so far!

Signature Image

KOKUJINDESU

KOKUJINDESU

TYRONE-KUN

I'm baaaaaack!
Tips for what I do in watercolors, eh? Well:
1. Start with a clean drawing. One that you are satisfied with-a good painting starts with a good foundation to work from.
2. Apply your base colors-this is a light (very light!) application of the colors you're considering for the final product. I always think of this stage as the painting on it's lowest settings. If you go too heavy at this stage, you'll have a lot to compensate for later(if you stick it out).
3. Add a little more color to your pallete and apply color carefully to areas to add dimension (shadowed edges and such).
4. Take a break--if you have the patience, taking a step back from your work might cause you to see things that you'd otherwise miss. What I do if I find it hard to break away is start on another drawing but that's a personal quirk.
5. Gradually increase the color of your pallette ("turning up the volume of your colors"). This should be in waves until you feel
you have enough vibrancy in the work. DO BE CAREFUL: it's eaasy to go from great to overworked using wcolors!
GOOD LUCK!

"We are but spiritual creatures enacting a physical existence."

kokuyu

kokuyu

.:~Mugunghwa Traveler ~:.

thanks very much ^^. i'll try your methods. :)

-"Life is more than just one, & nothing's more important than One"-
Signature

levezzali

levezzali

Purge Existence

oh... Here I am again!

Hehe, I thought about key points in a drawing, and the technique to draw came to my mind.. but it is not only that detail that makes a good doujinshi good... so I\'ll talk about a thing that teachers talk a lot in my production and creation classes...

Composition

Of course there are lots os aspects that involve composition, but I\'ll try to talk about some few that are important to me...

Balance

When you make a drawing or graphic you try to get it inside a balance point to make it somehow equal in some ways. WHen you look to a drawing it is usualy set to be in the middle of the sheet (and in the left when you come to wallpapers because of the icons) usually we read a shet from left to right , up to down, making a Z form in the main axis of reading... that means that almost everything et in these lines will be seen in the first time. Considering the balance, it would be wise to place your character in the middle of the sheet, pending in a line from the right top to the left bottom. It means that the whole doujin will be seen, of course, some may read (see) more then others. Also, do not over do a piece of art with loads of details in some parts and the others are less detailed. Balance would ask to redimension it to get a mid term in the levels of efforts. Like, you shouldn\'t draw a woman with the top of her body full of stuff, details, folds (in clothes) and her legs get nothing. Of course you can draw a girl in a shirt but paintless (UhUUUU) you can... as soon as you get the attention to the right parts.. just try not to over explode the shirt with details... all have to merge in a single piece.

Weight ... I am not telling that you can\'t draw a fat or a thin girl/boy .. hehe, It\'s about something related to balance. This is covered by the balance, but means a bit different... you can check the weight by looking atn the whole drawing and see if you attention goes too much to points that are not to be right, or if you have too much items in only one place. It can be solved by distributing these items in different areas of the doujinshi, or you piece will be a big thing where you don\'t know where too look, and usually people will only look to the things are not too important!

Distance and Depht

This is related to technique too ... Mostly the lines will have a main plot in it. When you are to give the spotlight (hehe) to an area of the doujinshi you should work properly by making the lineart thicker. This brings the area forward from the whole composition considering the thickness you use. You can add a HUGE depht and dimension to it by making the forth lines thicker and stronger and the background lighter and thinner. Take care not to make a thicker line in a point and another in a distant place cause the attention will be lost to different places, and we usually don\'t like that, cause some efforts are made in a great place, but suddenly the attention is drawn to the one we don\'t want too!

All in all, look a lot at the composition of your doujin before finishing it, check if the distance between objects are ok, if they are in right place to be seen, and if the detailing is agreed to the right points so you get everything alright to make a kick ass doujin!

I hope you liked! If I remember anything else I\'ll right it here ^^

Bwahha. Yeah. I'm back, again, to procrastinate. I think I'm really going to faint if I keep looking at chemistry and advanced maths books @.@

Hm... so that's how we do colour watering.

Oh, I'm here to share some stuffs on lineart. >.< But before that, nostyle118 seems to have said everything that I wanted to say. XD About crosshatching, and looking for imbalances in your work by turning the paper over.

Things I wanna add:

Understand the human/animal anatomy before drawing. It'll make your character's pose look more realistic. I used to draw without understanding this at first, and my bro insults me all the time. Some manga's character's pose looks a little weird because of this particular reason. (most notably SOME manga which are non-actions, adventure and fighting ones) I can only say manga with good grasp on anatomy has to be those mangas containing guys with 6 packs ^^. It's not necessary to make it tough-looking, but as long they look slim. Most mangas have slim looking guys <3

Here's some good manga with extremely cool poses and excellent anatomy mastery (in my pov, of coz, but what the heck, check it out!)
- Groove Adventure Rave + hip-hop fashions
- One Piece + extreme action
- Dragon Ball series + beefy looking guys
- Honey and Clover + slim guys in college (quite realistic if you ask me)
- Great Teacher Onizuka + what to say? check it out.
- Gensoumaden Saiyuki/Reload/Reload Gunlock + emits an aura of sexiness
- Slam Dunk (and all other works by Inoue Takehiko is a PLUS!)

Those are just examples I can think of. But most mangas are pretty much realistic. Please don't beat me in the head after you've done reading this.

But even if I said so much about having to learn anatomy, it's always good to have your own style. Because, afterall, I always end up loving those mangas without following the real anatomy of a human. >.< CLAMP! Look at those long slender legs and bodies they have... totally hawt!

In my case, I can't say it's my style... ehehe.. But I pick parts from various artists. If I like this particular artist's ear, then I'll take the ears and match everything. I don't know if this is illegal >.< but that's how I draw... ehehe...

So basically, no matter what you do, just make sure you don't have your character's head bigger than the body. Unless you're trying to draw a chibified version of your characters.

Signature Image

All blackheads in Mashima Hiro's mangas are my boyfriends. Owh yes they are.

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

Wow, thank you so much, everyone, for helping out!

(1) fireflywishes and Ephemeral-Garden, maybe now we can start drafting a loose outline based on the already-provided-for-format on ephie's thread and the additional tips posted here? Oh... *squints* firefly, you already wrote the outline! Thanks so much.

... lol, I'd like to suggest a nitpick, lol... doesn't it feel awkward that you guys call yourselves "Pencil Artists, Pen Artists, Watercolor" etc., etc.? What I mean is, wouldn't it sound more nicely if the focus is on the medium used instead of the person? Bleh, that came out awkward, lol... what I mean is... *proposes this*

LOOSE, DRAFT OUTLINE of 'Tips for Doujinshi Artists' Thread'
(courtesy of fireflywishes, nitpick by charaz-long-name)

1. Basic Preparations for All Artists
2. Working with Pencils
3. Working with Ink Pens
4. Working with Tablets/Styluses/Mice
5. [Working with Other Media]
6. Applying Colors to your Artwork
--- Working with Watercolors
--- Working with Image Editing Computer Software
--- [... other means of coloring ...]
7. Miscellaneous Tips
(Including Perspective, Black and White artwork, References and Scanning Tips)

... On (5. Other Media) and (6. Applying Colors), what other media can a doujinshi artist use for her/his craft? Also, can anyone suggest anyone in MT who dabbles/draws with other media/mice/tablets/styluses? I could only think of Evanrued, Keough and Nuriko right now... ^_^ So I/we can bug them to suggest their own tips?

... On (7. Miscellaneous Tips: Scanning), I was wondering... I do recall some artists here having their artwork deleted by the MT staff because the doujinshi was "scanned badly". Is it true that scanning traditionally-crafted work on a scanner renders the artwork badly? Does this apply to all media -- watercolors, etc?

... More on (7. Miscellaneous Tips: Scanning), maybe people can also suggest ways/tips to nicely scan in their artwork on the computer, that is, how to nicely convert scanned traditional/hand-crafted artwork into digital format? I found this tutorial on the web: http://www.mangapunk.com/tutorials/scanning/melody ... but I think the main problem with it is that it relies too much on Adobe Photoshop which, sadly, not every doujin artist has one installed on her/his computer. Maybe if we could find other tutorials or if people here could post in their own tips/tricks to nicely scan in stuff without using such programs, then that would be awesome, ne? Maybe we could ask MT members who are adept in scanning to help out? Suggestions?

Lol, I actually have lots more questions re: the posts made by lev, Hasuke, DarthTofu, KOKUJINDESU, fidiou and you two, but I'll stop for now!

(2) kokuyu, 'glad to know we're helping you out! Frosty, nice read, ne? ephie, I smiled at your "But I pick parts from various artists. If I like this particular artist's ear, then I'll take the ears and match everything. I don't know if this is illegal" comment, because I'm guessing everyone who draws/drew/attempted to draw must have started out copying other artists' works, and maybe that's the beauty of it, since you're sharing and all and learning from each other... and maybe the whole stuff about "legality" and all are actually preventing you artists from exercising creativity and all, and lol, that would be another topic for another day...!

(3) 'Added a Resources List on the draft Tips thread, with various tutorials and all...
A noteworthy find, I think, is from the Manga Revolution site, with full-length tutorials written by several DeviantART people!

(4) I promise to be back with more questions and suggestions for you guys, and 'hoping that more people keep on pouring in their own tips and ideas here. Thanks so much!

Signature Image

chisaikame

chisaikame

happy camper o^^o

Hi-

thank you chaz for inviting me to this thread. :) i guess we're supposed to post our own tips and tricks with doujins. :D

well, to me i always like my drawings to look alive and with much feeling. so personally, i recommend observing the emotion being emitted on the reference photo, like with copy works. ^^' and let the mind interpret what the emotion is, here i believe technique is valuable. XD

i agree with the above posts, that understanding whatever the figure is 3-Dimensionaly by the mind is very important. that way the mind doesn't 100% rely on the reference, instead it anticipates already the points that make up the object. with this practice, is of inestimable value. i really recommend
Bouguereau because you can just feel the passion in that man's hands. :) no one has mastered the human anatomy more than he did. <3 it takes time to practice, though the good thing is with constant practice, the brain adapts to human anatomy and therefore, adjusts easily with perspestives and such. :)

on a more specific note, with doujins i use .5 mechanical pencils, 2B/B lead. because mech pencils almost always have sharp tips. XD i start first with long strokes of light thin lines to identify the locations. once they are accurate enough, i start refining the picture and adding more details. and shading. :) also, i try my best to start at the upper left corner down to avoid brushing with the lead once the drawing is almost finished. kneaded erasers are great to with erasing fine corners. :) well, that's as much as i could think of right now. if there's anything else, feel free to msg and i'll post back here. :) thanks again! :D

gambare!

-ckc

ego vici mundum

fireflywishes

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

@chara: Nothing up there is set in stone... I just went with what you had already posted up on the wikispaces and added the tips to the sections that you had already created... I actually like the idea of refering to the medium rather than artists myself... :D

Signature Image

Mistress

Mistress

are there any gabbers? o.O

hi all! ^^
i've heard some artists need help. So i'm glad to give you my "Gypsy" CGing tutorial =) Now there's only one part... but i'm working on the second ^^ In 1th part you can find my methods of CGing skin, eyes and hair.
here's the file (~1 Mb)
and here's finished work.

erm... i'm so sorry but my tutor is in Russian. I tried to make it so detailed as possible, it would be great if it can help you >__>

More art on my site!!
visit me at http://mistress.h16.ru =^__^=

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

Thanks, Mistress, chisaikame, Ephemeral-Garden and levezzali, for your latest tips!

Copy that, firefly! Ok, so what we have so far:

-- working Table of Contents on the wiki page (for easy browsing and arrangement of topics)
-- all tips thru chisaikame included in wiki page (courtesy of fireflywishes)
-- Mistress' CG tutorial added in draft resources list

Yay!

Still missing/sections in need of comments, input or ideas:

-- Working with Tablets/Styluses/Mice
-- Adding Color to your Artwork, CG-ing
-- Scanning your artwork
-- ?

Oh, and ephie and firefly, if you have any other follow-up questions for nostyle118 and chisaikame, just drop them in here, then we'll bug them to respond, ne? I just remembered that they offered to respond back to any questions or what-not...

Lol, I can't wait for Wapy to show us her special doujinshi banner for the "Tips" thread! XD 'Hope she finds a way to get out of real life, lol...

Ok, so again, tips and tricks are still welcomed here, doujin artists! Oh, and side note: voting time for the last DSC display for the year now, so cast those votes, minna!

Signature Image

Ah kay, fireflywishes asked me to post here lol.
PROGRAMS RECOMMENDED
Lineart tracing - OpenCanvas 3.03 - their brushes are smoother than photoshop's. Great for lineart.
Colouring - Photoshop 7.0 or higher version of this would also be nice. for win98 users (like me) it's better to use 7.0 lol

First of all, I think the key for CGing is tablet. I suggest you to buy the cheapest one, since I think there are no significant difference between the cheapest and the most expensive tablet. Go for the cheapest one for this.
Using the tablet is as simple as using a pencil. Just imagine that the tip is the graphite and the back part is the eraser. For first time tablet users, try practicing by writing something or draw simple drawings.

After you're getting the hang of it, we'll move to CG. The first time to do it is to retrace the lineart. Because sometimes scans aren't really clean, I usually clean it with retracing in the photoshop. This can be done in some steps listed below.
- Create a new layer above the scanned image
- Reduce the scanned image's opacity to 30-40%
- On the layer top of the scanned image, begin retracing the lineart, using the tablet

After finishing tracing it, we'll move to colouring. Be sure that the lineart layer is on the top of all layers.
Now begin to color. I suggest to separate each color into different layers. Usually I divided it into 4 big layers: skin, hair, clothes, and background. Color it only with the base color. Do NOT shade first.

Next, we move to shading. On the top of the base color, create a new layer and press Ctrl+G so that the layers are grouped. Pick a darker color and began shading. On some part, you may want to use the smudge and blur tool. But on some parts, they aren't needed. A picture reference is recommended for shading so that you know where the lights come from and where to shade.

Lastly, the most important thing is practice. And use tutorials for detailed way in shading.

Some tutorials for CGing can be found on:
http://aquasixio.deviantart.com - for background
http://getty.deviantart.com - for colouring
http://shilin.deviantart.com - for colouring
These are NOT my deviantART account, so dont credit me for the tutorials. Credit and thank them for the tuts.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me at http://grishend.deviantart.com since I'm more active there.

Thanks and good luck!

levezzali

levezzali

Purge Existence

Oh well... here we go again ....

When you are in the best mood because you about to scan you doujin, the one you spent 35 hours making it checking shades, composition, techniques and done everything you saw on this thread you get yourself with the worst enemy ever...

The SCANNER!

Well, the great problem is the scanner regulations.. you can check them in your scanner\'s software, but basicaly you have to work on the brightness and contrast / hue / saturation to get something close to what you have in the paper.

After the struggle with the scanner another problems always comes... you get youserlf looking at the drawings (the one in you hand, and the other in the monitor) and you often see that it\'s way more lighter in the screen. You can solve that in 2 ways:

Automatic

Go to Photoshop and hit Image > adjustments > auto levels / auto color / auto contrast

This handy features in Photoshop adjust automaticaly the levels of lighting and color of your doujin, but you you realize that often gets so unreal, or unwanted that you should hit ctrl+Z before you mess something

Manual

Go to image > adjustments > Levels / curves / brightness and contrast / hue and saturation

All of this lets you mess with light and color ina special and different way. I recoment Curves to lighten up you drawing, and Levels to adjust the whole composition with the main colors (RGB) ...

Hue and Saturation have an extra plus (hehyeh) that I just discovered the other day... The scanner in the job is a really bad person, and I discovered it hates me and my drawings... SO, everytime I make anything it gets some blue and yellow bars over the drawing... in Hue and Saturaion I can obliterate those lines without ruining the drawing, just getting the lightness to maximim with each color. I.E.: If I have yellow bars I just go the feature, choose yellows and get the bar to full lightness... The black of the line remains, but the yelow goes away like magic *___* .. heheh ...

disconsidering the magical part, it\'s really good to have it on hand to make better doujins! Check those features before yu save your drawing and make some experiences to get yourself an Ace in drawing... and dn\'t get them deleted in MT XD.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.