Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 First Try at Painting - Minitokyo

First Try at Painting

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 16 total items

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Here's my first try at painting, for the project at Paint-o-rama. I sort of followed Candy-chan's tutorial...

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5140/paintkr4.th.jpg

The valley is a stock image, painted over, some colour adjustments and smudging here and there. The cliff is also a stock image, filtered, then painted over with some smudging and softening. The sky is rendered in Terragen with slight paint-over.

It's also my first try at extracting too (I usually vector the images), does it look all right?

How's the perspective? It looks a bit weird I know... I kinda know what I want in my head, but not sure if I've achieved it here or not. Basically she's supposed to be jumping down from a high cliff, and a semi-aerial view of the valley below.

Also, I don't know how to blend the scan into the background more. I think it stands out way too much, probably due to the fact that there's outlines on her, and no outlines in the background.

Also, I don't know what colour to make the valley. I don't think the shade of green I have right now suit the scan...

And I was thinking of putting some leaves/bushes on the left or bottom, as if the viewer is standing on a ledge or something, but I'm not sure if that's neccessary.

Any comments/critiques/pointers would be appreciated!

Chloe

Retired Moderator

Chloe

てめら~!!

The extraction looks great, except for around the tail, so you'll have to fix that up.
The painting/bg looks a much better than anything I could do, and I love the sky. Of course, I consider Candy-chan to be the expert on painting stuff, so you'll have to see what she says.
As for the color of the valley, I would go with reds, browns, you know, fall colors 'cause she's got some reds on her, and her hair is brown.

Signature Image
Like video game posters? Click on my signature image!
Latest wallpaper: Red Ninja

Hmm .. interesting idea but my main concern is that the scan doesn't quite work with your 'falling' concept to make the scene look believable.

For example, her tail should be flapping upwards opposing the falling direction and shouldn't be 'down' the way it is now. Same goes to her fringe, there's no way her fring would point downwards like that if she was falling down. Her sad/mellow expression kinda doesn't fit either - I would expect either fear or excitement for this shot (excitement if she was jumping' instead of 'falling'). Plus if I were falling like that, I would prolly look down rather than look around.

The painting job itself is a good start. Perhaps add soft motion lines to suggest the idea that she is falling down (or jumping off - whatever), over the character and perhaps vertical blur lines over the rocks to suggest the speed at which the camera (the audience) goes whoosh-ing by. Also wouldn't mind to have more details over the landscape - distant trees, bushes, houses, etc. But that's just me, I like details.

Sorry if my feedback is rather disheartening, I'm just being honest with you with the scan problem and hope you can find a way around that.

Looking forward to your entry for the paintorama contest! ^^

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

Quote by supermonchiHmm .. interesting idea but my main concern is that the scan doesn't quite work with your 'falling' concept to make the scene look believable.

For example, her tail should be flapping upwards opposing the falling direction and shouldn't be 'down' the way it is now. Same goes to her fringe, there's no way her fring would point downwards like that if she was falling down. Her sad/mellow expression kinda doesn't fit either - I would expect either fear or excitement for this shot (excitement if she was jumping' instead of 'falling'). Plus if I were falling like that, I would prolly look down rather than look around.

Maybe she's just floating around? :D
I think having a fox girl falling down a cliff is already as unbeleivable as is haha.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

Hmm, well my original idea was that the viewer is standing still on a ledge or something (hence the first idea with the foreground leaves etc) enjoying the view, and she just falls into view, looking at the viewer as if saying "What are you looking at" (that's the feeling I get anyway...). But I suppose then I should make her blurrier/add motion lines?

but I do see what you mean about her fringe and tail (well maybe not the tail if she wasn't falling fast)... but the thing I don't get is that the majority of her hair is pulled back as if she's falling... but her bangs are hanging down :|

@chloe-chan: yeah I thought about making it more orangy than green, like an autmn forest instead of summer one... So I played around with the colour balance:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9357/painted32fi9.th.jpg

But then the colour of the river stands out too much... So I tried making that orangy as well (even though it might not make sense ^_^')

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3978/painted3wa1.th.jpg

But then I thought what about the sky? So I made that warmer too...
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/773/painted323sm2.th.jpg

I'm alway afraid to use too much detail, because my mouse is kinda unsteady, so I'm afraid that if I use harder brushes, the mistakes/edges are really obvious... So I have this almost obsessive need to use softer brushes and smudge >.< ... But really, if the altitude is that high, what kind of detail could you make out? (at least that's my excuse XD)

moonescape

moonescape

Fallen Grace

Wow! Painting must be hard.

I noticed I just saw a vector that looks like you did it. After commenting this I'll scroll too se that new recently submited one. Well I liked how soft the colors were here. I can't paint so there's no point at all.

The person in there looks like that game I saw that had a fox picture on trhe front. It was a game that just came recently. THe extraction looks very good and smooth. The shades of green already makes this wallpaper stand out. It was already alright when you had that first one you showed us. :D the perspective looks interesting though.

Hmm .. how about a landing pose - instead of a mid-air-falling type of thing?
If she was landing then it's okay for the tail and her fringe to be down because maybe she's slowing down. You know, like those 'heavenly descend' kind of idea maybe?
I like the browny colours better, suits her expression better I think ..
The less-blue river looks better too I reckon. The sky looks fine to me. Could try sunset scene but not sure how it's gonna tie with the character.
Good luck!

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

hmm, like putting a branch or ledge somewhere underneath her feet? I'll try that. Thanks.

Yeah something like that - I dunno how it's gonna turn out tho ..
And is the brown thing supposed to be rocks or a tree trunk?
Just a reminder that you gotta have some plants/vegetation for the challenge - good luck! ^^

anime-xp

anime-xp

random anime

in my opinyon the imadge is well done and if you want to creat or alter any other pics have fun

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

Okay, I extended the rocks to make a ledge so it looks like she's about to land. I took out some of the mist as well when I was working and forgot to put them back on when converting to jpg, and I'm not sure if I actually need the mist, because now you can see the painted parts better.

Also, I'm not sure if the texture for the rock is right.... how do I add textures? do I even need to?

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4008/painted547qk3.th.jpg

Oh as for vegetation, does autumn vegetation count? or does it have to be explicitly green vegetation?

I think it's prety good

shojostatic

shojostatic

~::<3Host Club <3::~

All I Have to say is....WOW

~LoVeYlOvEy~

mickyoko

mickyoko

Digital Painter Newbie

Here are my suggestions it's either you do it or not does not concern me as long as you don't take it personally.

The blending in of your main visual with your bg is difficult to achieve because your scan is colored probably (most likely) by sketch markers. To resolve that matter you either do a repaint over the main visual with either a cell coloring or painted like coloring. If you do not want to tamper with the main visual then you could fix the bg by making it look like a marker or wash type of work. To achieve that you can customize your brush to wet edges, airbrush, smoothing and low opacity in photoshop. If you have corel painter... digital watercolor will do the stuff but of course don't limit yourself with the watercolor only.

To further blend in your visuals use the lasso or pen tool as an extraction tool with a feather of 1px. Use color adjustments like color balance, hue/sat, photo filters and etc... to match their temperatures and color (place a mask on all the adjustments so you can manually control the effects of the degree they would appear).

Try adding speed lines or sorta like that

The drop shadow is incorrect. Just a reminder... the farther the object to the wall(cliff) the more the shadow is diffused... and of course the closer the sharper. Plus, most likely there wont be curved shadows projected on the cliff based on its natural texture. Also add more shadow on the main visual where the light opposes and make it kinda sharp and harsh for the drop shadow on cliff defines a hard light.

If you want to add textures on your cliff, do so. You can create texturized brush by making a texture then turning it to grayscale then proceed to "edit" then "define brush preset" or you can just download brushes.
After that you use that brush in low opacity and dab it all the way.

There are more to say but you may be stoned to death by now. So thats it.
Hope it helps.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

thanks for the advice mickyoko :)

I've changed the colour balance slightly, making the girl and the cliff warmer-coloured. I've also blurred the image slightly, as well as putting in motion lines (though I'm not sure if they look right or not because I've never done this sort of thing before ^_^'). I softened the shadow slightly.

I'm not exactly sure how to do digital watercolour... and I'm not too fond of the idea of repainting the scan (yeah I'm lazy)... as for textures, I tried using some textured brushes, but it took away the painted feel of the cliff, and stand out too much against everything else...

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7247/painted54is6.th.jpg

merged: 12-05-2006 ~ 03:13pm
Finished! View from Above by MapleRose

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

Finished and uploaded, if you wish to comment further do so in the galleries; View from Above by MapleRose

Closed

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.