Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Creative Painting Guide - Manga Version - Minitokyo

Creative Painting Guide - Manga Version

page 1 of 1 19 total items

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

I have just finished writing up my workshop for creative painting, so it's available for free to everyone online ^_^. I also made this one based on manga/anime. Some of you may recall the following images that I submitted to MT some time ago...

Hizuru - Blind/Charcoal
Hizuru - Blind/Sharpie

At the time I had also posted that my creative painting guide would be coming soon, yet it has taken me this long to finish it. Part of it was image hosting problems, and deletions of images from my gallery. Then I left MT for over half a year XD.

Well, it's finished now. Good thing is that it's also written for all skill levels, so anyone should be able to do it :D. You can view the guide here...

Creative Painting Guide - Manga Version

And if you like it well enough feel free to Diggit! ^_^

W00t, first to comment on the thread!

[...if no-one else turns out to be faster, that is ^_^'].

I think your idea is mightily interesting and very original. I'm definitely going to try it out one of these days. Of course, my talent at drawing is severely limited [<- *cough* understatement *cough* ], but well... what have I got to lose?

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

ooh, neat! I'm sure folks at Doujinshi-Support-Club will really appreciate this ;)

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Odeena, the whole point of this guide is that you do not need any drawing skills! It's true, just read the section about the drawings and you'll see what I mean :D.

And thank you, MapleRose, for letting me know about that group. I'll post there and tell them about it too :D. Much appreciated!

dianas

dianas

WE ARE OF PEACE ALWAYS

Mentis my friend.. I do receive notifications on ur threads ;)
ur idea is good ^_^ anyway I do have a little talent on drawing..here is something made by me

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4227/image2wl1.jpg (I scanned it weird o_0 )

umm I tend to be lazy and I don`t draw lately T_T

When life gives you lemons - make a lemonade XD
Creator of: BW-TB-:-C-sW
<--visit us--> Our world is based on attractioN

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Thank you very much for posting, Di-chan :D. And thank you for showing me that drawing. I very much like the lines in it, you have a good hand. But as I told Odeena, the guide does not require any skill in drawing, which you will notice if you check the section that talks about the drawing process in the beginning. However, a little familiarity with art techniques is always helpful ^_^.

Hmmm very intersting...Im gonna try and post mine later

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

I'm curious to know what kind of guide you will be posting. Is it also a painting guide?

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

patron saint of doujinshi

* 'ignores everything and 'starts reading up on Creative Painting Guide - Manga Version... *

Awesome! ^^^ Wow-ness, starting drawing without any particular, strict "I have to stick to what I have in mind -slash- Noooo, why does my drawing suck compared to other people?" coda in mind! ... you wouldn't mind, mentis-san, if I suggest your guide to be included in the "Tips for Doujinshi Artists Thread Rewriting Project" thingy we're editing/making/concocting? MapleRose is right; I agree that your guide is really, really helpful and could/might encourage people to draw, especially people who might be intimidated with all the standards and awesome artwork around... ^^^ Wow, I hope I could squeeze in the time to try out some 'blind drawing', too! (I don't think I could find the time/money to do some acrylic/coloring though...)

Oh, and mentis-san, if you have the time to drop in some of your words/tips for aspiring doujin artists on the Tips thread, please do! ^^^ Thanks for your guide!

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Thank you very much for your nice comment Chara-dono :D. And thank you for taking the time to read my article!

You are right, my intention was to create the entire guide without making anyone feel like they couldn't do it. Being and artist, I must tell you that generally speaking nothing about art matters except that you do it. If you start from that point, you can really get anywhere you want to go with art.

And of course I wouldn't mind if you included it in yoru thread. I would appreciate that ^_^. And I'm sure you can find the time to do blind drawing. It's easy, and you can do it anywhere, anytime really. The painting of course does take a little more time and space, etc. But if you're short on money and still want to do it, I can give you some suggestions for making it happen!

If this guide helps some people, I would love that, and I would also love to hear about it :D.

I'm going to check out your thread now, but I may not post in it until later. Thanks again and hope to see you around :D.

That is pretty neat! I still would have tried to keep it to its original image though. . .lol. You did an excellent job with the tutorial, and your ideas spark even more ideas! Thanks for sharing it with us!

!~* Best Friends Forever = Kaisui Tatsu ~ thingperson ~ PinkPrincessLacus *~!
Administrator of FFVV and Make-a-Friend
Signature Image

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Thank you for posting Kaisu-dono :D. I am glad that you have my guide has sparked ideas in you!

The reason why I did not want to end up with the same image I started, is because I feel that would defeat the purpose of my tutorial by making it contrived. My goal was to only use that image as a starting point. All the steps after that are intended to deconstruct the image. This deconstructive process also takes place inside the mind of the person doing the drawing/painting, by braking down preconceived notions, tendencies, and expectations. All of which are key in getting the full experience of the process. In effect, you could say that the end result is merely a byproduct of the process. This makes the process/experience of creation the most important aspect of this guide.

I hope that makes sense XD, sorry if I got a little carried away there ^_^'.

That is okay! I understand what you are saying. We had do do some blind drawings in my drawing studio class a while back of a plant, so you really could't tell what it was orginally. My professor also wanted the picture to consist of only one line for the whole image. lol, it was pretty funny.
It would be hard to make an image of something that you draw from your head into another image. I only do that when my original image messes up.
Also layering the paints and totally hiding the first layers is pretty different too. I kinda have this habit of using as little paint as possible to cover a part of an image, so I always use more than one paint layer to make the color look more solid. I have never done anything like what your tutorial describes, so I will definately try it sometime. Maybe in a month or so, it just depends on how much free time I get this next semester. I don't have any real art classes either, so I have to make time for something! I will submitt the finished product in Minitokyo, and I will let you know when I am done! Thanks for the ideas! ^_^

!~* Best Friends Forever = Kaisui Tatsu ~ thingperson ~ PinkPrincessLacus *~!
Administrator of FFVV and Make-a-Friend
Signature Image

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

I am hoping that by the time you get to the step where I am asking you to see something in the abstract painting, you will have loosened up enough from all the previous steps in order to make something out of it that is more representational.

The layering technique is actually derived from what the old master's of the renaissance used in order to get deep shadow and lighting effects. I have just modified it somewhat to suit my needs better.

And I'll be looking forward to see what you've come up with when that time arrives :D. I'll put you on my watchlist so that hopefully I'll be notified :D.

ok well something that's written and drawn with blood, sweat and tears XD would be great :p i'll read it and hope it might be usefull XD cuz. i'm not the person that paints. XD

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Well thank you... I think :P. Ha ha, no really. And I think it would be much more useful if you try to actually go through the tutorial and do the drawing/painting. As I have said before, it's for everybody, no matter what you skills. If you don't believe me, just try it. I promise you'll be pleasantly surprised.

FallenAngelZoicyte

FallenAngelZoicyte

Boycott Love

neat. i'm gonna try it soon.

Signature Image

charaznableamurorei

charaznableamurorei

patron saint of doujinshi

... I just HAD to suggest this, otherwise my brain will burst! XD
Yup, it's kinda quiet back there at the DSC because the people mainly involved in the Monthly Displays are pretty much in deep in real life, mentis-san... and pegassuss, Anjhurin, *secret artist's name here* and I are also prepping up special stuff for a sort of Special Display thing coming up soon. The preparations for that kinda going slow, because of darn real life getting in the way, lol... and also, I kinda have other backlog promises-commitments I'm trying to fulfill around these virtual parts (lol, to enumerate, w.a.r. story writing stuff, MT Character Classes caption stuff, the "Tips for Doujin" thing stuff, the DSC Member Directory thingy and some other stuff...), so why the heck am I telling you this, lol?

Anyways! On to the suggestion! Maybe while we're waiting for the Special Displays thingy to launch (and looking at the positive response your thread is getting!), maybe, maybe, maybe, how about having an MT event that involves artists and anyone else interested and basically full-on inviting everyone to engage in "blind drawing/blind painting", with your Creative Painting - Manga Version guide as one of the basis of said event? (Lol, I'd love to see what wallers and non-artists' artwork would look like!)

One other basis (I think) for the MT "blind drawing/blind painting" (lol! what about "blind walling"? ^^^) event is that we could have people who contribute lovely scans suggest some or lotsa scans as references for the event, or even "blind-wall/blind-digitally-paint" doujinshi or even walls or whatever? So that we could encourage their participation too? *okies, warning, wackiness factor going waaayy off the scale now...*

Of course, what I feel is lovely about the whole thing is that maybe this could be a nice event that would be a kind of break from the awesome-art-and-awesome-wall trend, and loosen things up... lol, actually I'd quote a lot from your conversation with chisaikame-chan on your guestbook on this part, but anyways... But I think the MT standards on "quality" might get a bit in the way of the "blind drawing/blind painting/blind walling" event, since really at first glance (to use an example) your Hizuru - Blind/Charcoal and Hizuru - Blind/Sharpie drawings kinda look like just doodles, which are kinda discouraged in the MT Policy... ^_^"... but hey, you know, maybe we could suggest to the MT mods to open up a special MT Gallery section just for the event, for everyone to submit their "blind artwork" stuff in, so that it wouldn't be mistook as just "doodles"?!?!? O_o ... *okies, wackiness factor reaching white-supernova mode* But if that doesn't work (and if the mods aren't game on a let-your-creativity-soar event), maybe we could just go it a la Inspiration Project style, an off-MT website hosting the "blind artwork" chu-chu-ness? But nnnnnnn, so that it'll truly be open and conducive to artistic creativity and MT communitiness (word creation time! XD), I really hope that the special MT Gallery section thing could be accomodated!

Lastly, maybe we could start in the DSC, see if we could get other organizers (I'd love to ask fireflywishes and MapleRose and flyindreams and other doujin groups like Doujin-Arena and close-to-doujin-making groups like Paint-o-Rama are game to this!) to crash in and help out! Lol, me will probably help out, just a bit (me ish bad, suggesting all this and backing out in the end, lol!) But anyways... ^^^

*And supernova flashes! XD* I'm kinda thinking/feeling under an influence, this Hachikuro Model of Diversifying the "Support Doujinshi" Cause in Minitokyo and Other Spaces and Places in my head for quite a while now... so, hastily mapping the "blind drawing/blind painting/blind walling" event out:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8862/hachikuromodeerublindvp9.th.gif

... *breathes out hard!* Whew, 'glad to get that one out! So, what do you guys think? ^^^

Signature Image
Sig crafted by Yune of the MTSign-AvCrew! Based on artwork by Keough! Vamonos, MT artistes!

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Phew, that's a lot of reading :P. Well, all I can say right now, is that I think it's a great idea. I'll support it in whatever way I can.

It may not be necessary to set up a gallery page exactly. I think if people just use imageshack then we could get away with just a thread where everyone posts their submissions, and the thread "mod" can edit the first post to reflect the necessary information/submissions. But of course an MT gallery, or off-site gallery page would be ideal.

It would certainly be great if we could make this a collaboration between all the doujinshi groups too.

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.