Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Which is more important, Science or religion? - Minitokyo

Which is more important, Science or religion?

Which is more important?

Science
151 votes
Religion
51 votes

Only members can vote.

This thread is full. If you wish to continue discussing this subject, you are allowed to make a new thread about it.

page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 44 Next » 1,034 total items

Which do you believe to be more important, Science or religion and why?

science for me, religion... what`s the TRUE religion? o.o?

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

Science, hands down! Since when did any religion come up with some cure?

Sleeping peacefully on the edges of No Man's Land... Not all good is rewarded, not all evil is punished.

I have to say Science. The main reason is because science has done more good and helped more than religion has ever did.

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

I would have to say religion. We need something to believe in, when no else is around.

Religion. Its started much more wars than science has

With honey and clovers

I say science.

If there was no religion the world may or may not be a better place. Depends on who you ask.

However, if there was no science humans would be living like animals. Pretty much all major advances in civilization have been brought about directly or indirectly by science and the scientific method of study.

A world without religion also does not mean a world without morality because ethics and morality are not based on religion.

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

Religion has done nothing for me, while without science, I wouldn't have a career. Obvious choice.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

Religion. It relates us to things which are eternal, before time and science, and beyond time and science, which in fact set the context of science and all science is based in. Without religion, we would be ignorant of the true root and source of science, and the meaning of all things. Without God, which religion works to reach, study, and live in, there would be no science, and nothing else either. And what good is all the science in the world when all things of the world parish and die and have no real meaning in themselves? Only with God does science gain meaning and truth, and religion helps us to understand this, and go beyond it to things which do not parish and die, that we may also not parish and die, and having meaning and worth.

Suga-Blozzom

Suga-Blozzom

i am NOT gonna vote for this.
all i have to say, is that there is a place where scince belongs and a time for reilgion to belong. i am not a christain, i have a different belief. and i have no problems with christ. but there is atie and place for it. right now, i in my head, i feel really unclear. ahah XDD
ttyl

"Promise me when I am no longer here you'll be the one to stand by my bed side and silently let out a small cry."

Just think how history has developed, and what has done more for us.
When I think in religion I think about Crusades, Islam Saint Wars, Catholic Inquisition, arab fanatics, firing Galileo...!
When I think about science I see this pc and me talking with you thousand miles away (people that would have never meet if it were for religion :P), also Hiroshima's bomb, but the same nuclear power now gives me electricity to warm my house and heal cancers in the near hospital...
Science and religion are not good nor bad, just what we make of them, but if we must choose between thinking or believing, best think by yourself and don't believe tales. :P

Quote by mesaana666Just think how history has developed, and what has done more for us.
When I think in religion I think about Crusades, Islam Saint Wars, Catholic Inquisition, arab fanatics, firing Galileo...!
When I think about science I see this pc and me talking with you thousand miles away (people that would have never meet if it were for religion :P), also Hiroshima's bomb, but the same nuclear power now gives me electricity to warm my house and heal cancers in the near hospital...
Science and religion are not good nor bad, just what we make of them, but if we must choose between thinking or believing, best think by yourself and don't believe tales. :P

I disagree. Science is in itself is good because it allows for a better understanding of the Universe. Religious views, on the other hand, can be used to push hateful views on the masses, such as the many Christians in the United States who are opposed to--and sometimes even beat--homosexuals because their religion tells them homosexuality is wrong. Science can be abused and religion can be too. However, the main difference is that Science is amoral while religions are often not only immoral, they have little to no basis and cause thousands, if not millions, of people to suffer at times.

xJENNYx

xJENNYx

//Jennifer

Science.
Not because science has given "more", but for the incredible adcances we [people] continue to make in the field. Also, for the choices and possibilities science offers.

Science. Science can cure diseases, make human lives easier and better but if misused it could cause distruction. Probably this is where religion comes in. It teaches plp to have good behaviors and practice a honorable way of life but it too has become very commercialized.

Radha

Radha

Sanely insane!

I think both are important. Science is important for progress and understanding and religion for faith because every human being needs something to believe in. I don't mean the rituals or prayers when I say religion , what I mean is the teachings (rational ones only).

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

acid-awakening

acid-awakening

Ore Hitori De Juubun Da

I really dont know, my science teacher says the universe started with the big bang, and if that was the case... well you could just guess what would happen to Christianity.

risingcrescent

risingcrescent

Essential&Naturality Heaven Form

Both.
because they are different each other.
science is about advancement material living.
religion is advancement Living about human.

those who only hold religion and dony care science will be lost in competitive world.
those who choose science and leave reliigion will live in abudance prosperity material living but nothing value for him/her.furthermore he/she doesnt value their ownself and lost the meaning of life.

Meaning of awareness their own value-self...

Edward De Bono reflection,
Human minds are Dull , because most rational minds that sharpest ARE NOT HUMAN MINDS, that're Animal minds.

definitely science, simple answer really ^.^

I believe Religion.. Cause if you believe in religion.. you believe in God, which in turn created all...science is just a link to how God created all.. but science cannot explain everything that religion can through the Bible of course.

Quote by Drako27I believe Religion.. Cause if you believe in religion.. you believe in God, which in turn created all...science is just a link to how God created all.. but science cannot explain everything that religion can through the Bible of course.

What are you talking about? Religion is not Christianity. Christianity is just one of many religions that happened to become widespread in Europe and the Americas, mainly through forced conversions. Unlike many other religions, Christianity has become so large not only because a certain group's culture continued to spread naturally, but because the Christians were annoying bigots who traveled the world trying to make everyone Christian. It still happens today.

Now, as for your uneducated comment on Science. No, Science can't explain everything because, unlike with your religion, Science doesn't assume things to be true that they have no way of knowing. Unlike with Science, religions tend to be just guesses on how the world works. With Christianity, we've seen these guesses tend to be just a *bit* off (think flat Earth, geocentricity, and creationism/intelligent design). That said, Science is not a link to how "God created all." As far as Science is concerned, the question of God's existence is meaningless because Science is methodological naturalistic.

yothsothgoth

yothsothgoth

You came along and cut me loose

I agree somewhat with risingcrecent ^^.
I think both are important to people.
Wether or not you agree with/or like either of them.
I have my own personal beliefs about both subjects.
I may not always agree with other people's, but I do not condemn them.
I believe that is my God's role, and not my own. <That is just what I believe.

Anyways... since I am a Biologist, I understand things scientifically.
Likewise... since I believe in a religion, I understand things according to my faith.

I believe that science helps us understand the physical world around us and our different faiths/religions help us try to understand and cope with what science doesn't explain. If I remember correctly, most philosphers believe that both these topics were created by man. Philosophers would also agree that man has infinite flaws. If you agree with that, then you'd agree that both topics are flawed because they were made by man. Therefore; neither one is more correct than the other... they are all just different ideas.

I think its sad that most of the time, both subjects are not treated as such (ideas). People fight over science vs. religion too much in my opinion.

I also believe that science and religion help to mold and shape the human character. If not for them both, I believe man wouldn't be as interesting of an animal as he is today.

Quote: Philosophers would also agree that man has infinite flaws. If you agree with that, then you'd agree that both topics are flawed because they were made by man. Therefore; neither one is more correct than the other... they are all just different ideas.

That's untrue. Just because we have flaws doesn't mean we can't form valid ideas about the world, if the ideas are logically consistent.

Here's a good article you might like: http://www.naturalism.org/plantinga.htm

yothsothgoth

yothsothgoth

You came along and cut me loose

I didn't mean that we humans "can't" form vaild ideas about the world. I meant that neither one (science or religion) can be considered more 'correct' or 'important' than the other in our society, if you believe that both were ideas made by man. Man, as a race, has flaws. We can't ALWAYS be right. Its just not possible. I think that they are both, in a sense, equally important to mankind. I also think that without both of them, humans would lose what makes them human. <<< Just my opinion. XD

merged: 05-13-2007 ~ 11:06am
I'm sorry if I was unclear. ^_^'

I don't think humans are inherently scientific in their reasoning nor do the inherently hold religious beliefs, although there may be some tendency towards both, especially the latter. I don't think I lose anything by lacking a religion. Somewhat ironically, the philosophy of humanism rejects the supernatural as a source of morality.

Science and religion can't be correct because their viewpoints. Assertions based on scientific reasoning can be correct and assertions based on religious faith can be correct. The difference is one is a logical method for determining truth while the other requires zero evidence and only a belief to be held in something's validity for it to be considered true.

I honestly can't think of much humanity would lose if we lost religion. Maybe the possible positive uses of widely held beliefs that are easy to manipulate for the good of humanity in general (though people tend to manipulate such beliefs for the negative rather than the positive). Other than that, nothing comes to mind.

page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 44 Next » 1,034 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.