Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Boku Boku Boku - Minitokyo

Boku Boku Boku

page 1 of 1 2 total items

I have been having a hard time figuring something out. I've been watching Da Capo and I notice that Sakura-chan always uses "Boku" to address herself. I know this is a masculine word so I was wondering why she uses it all the time. I've never heard her use any of the feminine forms of "I." I looked up online and the best reasons I could find about why some females use "Boku" are: they are gay/lesbian and want others to know that they are, or they were taught improperly when growing up. I'm not sure if either of those apply for Sakura-chan because she is hetero (obviously) and I think she was taught Japanese properly. But then again, she moved away for 6 years to America...so I'm not sure. But even if that were the case, I would think that someone would correct her or something.

Maybe there is a totally reasonable reason why she is using "Boku," I don't know even though from what I've been taught in class is that only males use "Boku." I know there have been a few other series as well that I've heard a girl use "Boku" but I can't think of them off the top of my head since I watch a lot...

But if anyone knows what's going on here, please share! It is bugging me so much that I don't know why she is using "BOKU!" >_<

"Boku" isn't that uncommon to be used by girls of a younger age or of a tomboyish character. Usually by middle/high school, when girls wish to appear more grown-up feminine they would stop using "boku" to refer to themselves. It could also depend on the region of Japan they are from, as some dialects have more gender-neutral usage.

In the case of Sakura-chan I suspect the reason is to make herself appear younger, as before she had left for 6 years. Another good example of a female character using "boku" is Tsukimiya Ayu from Kanon.

page 1 of 1 2 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.