Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 [crazy story] Ebay Indian ceo jailed over sex tape auction. - Minitokyo

[crazy story] Ebay Indian ceo jailed over sex tape auction.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

DREAM

DREAM

Lord of Dreams

just read this on cnn. this is a wild one. beyond belief.

check here : http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/12/19/india.ebay.ap/index.html

i understand arresting the seller's but the CEO? woah

Interesting.

On the one hand, I think Indian officials overreacted. Ebay is pretty conscientious about removing items that may offend.

On the other hand, one of the fatal flaws in the US is that corporations, while being granted legal status as a person, are free to engage in criminal acts, because there is no one individual who can be held criminally liable (except in very, very rare cases). Read the book "The Corporation" or watch the documentary for more info. It will outrage you, if you're not outraged already. The Indian government is taking the unusual step of holding a person criminally liable for corporate actions, which conceptually might help cure some of the ills that corporations visit upon society today.

--Mike

DREAM

DREAM

Lord of Dreams

Quote by miketoOn the other hand, one of the fatal flaws in the US is that corporations, while being granted legal status as a person, are free to engage in criminal acts, because there is no one individual who can be held criminally liable (except in very, very rare cases). Read the book "The Corporation" or watch the documentary for more info. It will outrage you, if you're not outraged already. The Indian government is taking the unusual step of holding a person criminally liable for corporate actions, which conceptually might help cure some of the ills that corporations visit upon society today.
--Mike

i agree totally that exectuives do hide behiind the skirts of the entity known as a corporation. Mike i have not read that book, but will check it out. in the US unless a companay goes bankrupt the government generally doesn't charge senior managers.

but i think the Indian gov't is really overacting in this one. this reminds me of Vladmir Putin arresting Mikhail Khodorkovsky of Lukos Oil in Russia.

Re: Putin and Yukos, and the Indian fiasco as well, remember they come from different legal traditions, history, and background. The English / American legal backgrounds are related and have similar roots that drove development of business. It worked much differently in Russia and India, due to historically different divisions of power and authority. The French also have their own legal background that currently derives from the Napoleonic Code, and it's quirky too compared to our legal system.

Things that have no legal standing in the US are sound precedent in those other countries. Try looking up "moral right" or "droit moral" for information on an artist's right to protect his work. In the US, the public is presumed to own the eventual rights to anything you produce; with droit moral, ownership starts and ends with the artist. Different histories and philosophies, different laws.

DREAM

DREAM

Lord of Dreams

update: the CEO is out on bail, but he had to surrender his paassport.

[miketo] very true about different legal systems. but the Yukos affair is strictly political. Putin feared the opposition political parties Khodorkovsky was supporting. i guess Putin is looking to become the next Stalin.

hamed

hamed

BO!

this is sick

dont be sad if you loved some one and he left you,,,
be sad if some one loved you and you left him,,,

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.