Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Japan : The Beginning : How I started to like Japan - Minitokyo

Japan : The Beginning : How I started to like Japan

page 1 of 1 13 total items

anjovu

anjovu

the Eternal Traveller

Japan.
You know why you like Japan and you have a lot of reasons.
You're learning Japanese. You already travelled there and want to live there.
Well, here. To know the present reasons is not the main subject.
So, here the questions are :
How do you know Japan ? You learn Japanese, why ?
Someone gave you a manga/DVD ? You played (even still play) video games with a Nintendo/Sega/NeoGeo... and discovered the most of time games were from Japan ?

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

For me it started as base as having watched anime, read manga, and played video games as you mentioned. But that led me to be interested in the culture, and from there I was hooked.

The people are amazing. Their courtesies, their dedication. I'm amazed at their history, the Samurai intrique me.

I can't wait until I get to live in Japan and experience first hand the Japanese culture and society.

I've known about Japan by seeing that they use Chinese characters in their writing. I also like reading Japanese history books.
Im currently learning the language right now. At first I just took it because I needed a language and didnt want to do French so I went into Japanese. After I got the hang of it and decided I wanted to learn more.
I liked Japan for awhile not because anime but their culture and structures like temples and shrines they got are amazing aswell as the cherry blossoms.

I don't even remember... I think it was after starting learning japanese that I started getting interested in the country

I've known about Japan because I was born in Okinawa. At the time I was born it was not part of Japan. It was part of U.S. territory from spoil of World War II. Four years after I immigrated to u.s., Okinawa was returned to Japan in 1972. Naturally I had to learn to speak both Japanese and English while I stayed in Okinawa. I learned to read mangas and even after I moved to California I managed to keep on reading manga thanks to my parent who subscribed me Weekly Shonen Magazine and Shonen Sunday comic books. Speaking of language was helped by the fact that both my parents spoke Japanese.

Eventually I became involved in local anime clubs where I helped do translation of Japanese review to English. I also became involved in local anime conventions where I supervised group of translators and did my share of translating with Japanese guests that visited convention. I also like history of Japan and recently read a book about daily life of Edo (feudal capital of old Japan). It was very fascinating reading.

In between, I decided I wanted to visit Japan and have visited couple of times over the year.

I retired from helping conventions and now I like to surf around MT. It is fun and I get to meet lots of nice people. :D

Li-Mei

Li-Mei

Comatose

you got me right with the first reason. XD i am trying to learn, because i want to travel there, and i want to live there, and so then i'll have connections with all the japanese cars to my brother's benefit. XD also, so when i watch anime, i won't have to look at the subtitles as much. X3

I've actually had a liking to most of Aisa. XD My parents were forced to move to the U.S. in the Vietnam War, and they use to tell me all about how it was like in Cambodia (even though they're Chinese). My dad told me some of the history in Asia and i found it to be a lot more interesting than American history (which i should mention, is taught every single year in school, they tell you the same things but each year you have to remember more events and more people ;___; la boring).

So, on T.V. i saw these cartoons, or i thought it was "cartoons" at the time, and i got really interested in watching them. Soon i grew a bit older and really noticed the difference between anime and cartoons, with anime actually having a series of events that flow together (unlike the cartoons i've seen where in every episode there is barely any connection to the previous episode) I think the first anime i remembered actually watching was Cardcaptors (Cardcaptor Sakura) and i remember seeing a lot of things that didn't really exist in the U.S.

Things really started rolling when I got a computer. One day i got extremely bored and started to look up stuff that i remembered seeing when i was young. I finally got to looking up CCS and i saw all these beautiful artworks, i saved the ones i liked and suddenly i bumped into a site called "Fanfiction.net". I actually wrote some stuff and posted it on there. XD It was that site that introduced me to anime, which introduced me to the Japanese language, which introduced me to the beautiful country of Japan. So that's why i really really really want to go there one day. ;__;

i could have said more inbetween but i doubt that anyone would read it anyway. XD

Signature

sUmm3r

{{cRaZy_B3auTifuL}}

watching anime and playing games!(^.^) oh and i don't speak jap but i've been there, and it's so beautiful!!

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

eko

Well, I'm part japanese, so I've always had some kind of intrest in it. vietnam didn't really intrest me much >.>...hah

But, after my mom took me to visit her family in japan, I've become even more facinated with it. I watch anime before that, and was pretty into it. Just recently, I decided I wanted to learn japanese, so after a few hundred anime episodes, I've picked up a crude understanding of the language. I plan to go to a school and learn it. I'm not too sure why I'm interested...just..cause? haha

Signature Image

i'm learning japanese b/c i think the language itself is awesome. i have a lot of japanese influences in my life. i have a friend who is japanese, who exposes me to the tv shows and the cutest cartoon characters i've ever seen in my life. then i have other friends who are anime obsessed and sucked me into their realm of constant anime watching....

i'd love to travel there sometime, but i don't think living there would be a possibility. too expensive!

"SING like no one's listening, DANCE like no one's watching, LOVE like you've never been hurt."

Chiori

Chiori

Psychedelic Doll

I find the Japanese culture very fascinating xD I'm Chinese, so my grandparents' generation aren't very fond of the Japanese. But my interest sparked with anime hehe.

Then it was beautiful clothing and the language. Kanji isn't hard as I've been learning Chinese since I was six. ^__^

Xion3

Xion3

Romanticide

I've never been to Japan before, but I really want to visit there someday. But I'm definitely somewhat interested in the culture and their habits, also everything is mostly made in Japan which is very cool. They get all the new gadgets, games etc. first... before it comes down to the U.S.

It first started for me as I watched anime and of course played video games. Some of my first anime was Transformers and Iria. I fell in love with the style and animation of it almost instantly. I've been playing the video games since I was about 7 or 8 years old.

I have a friend that is currently taking a course in Japanese speaking lessons. I will also do that a bit later on in life, when all my work is completed. I think it's a very fun language to learn, and of course being an anime fan, it comes in handy.

And on top of all that, and I might sound corny, Japenese females are very attractive. They are just so darn cute. I know there are ones that would agree with me, lol. :)

actually, what got me into the japanese culture wasn't anime or videogames. rather, it was the history of it (particularly military) i became very interested in the ancient and 19th century history on the samurai. they are a very chauvinistic, noble type of soldiers. they believe that honor is more important than their very lives; they were willing to die for their emperor. they fought with true nobility and were extremely disciplined. such honor and asceticism should be pondered by all of us. that was got me intrigued by Japan.

yours truly,
Kandle

anjovu

anjovu

the Eternal Traveller

My turn to say how it started...

I remember I spent my money to play video game. The period of Nintendo and Sega (remember NES/Famicom & Master System ?). That time video game = Japan, and the most of games are from Japan. The characters looks are manga style. Valis, Alisia Dragoon, El Viento, I like these characters how nostalgic I am. Late 80's...

After, came manga movies, anime, music.
Now, I want to know more about Japan and its culture and the life there.
It's like a progression. Learning Japanese today, next step tomorrow trip and living there.
I can have a Japanese wife, y not ?

It's really a part of myself.

That's interesting and thanks for your posts.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.