Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Language System. - Minitokyo

Language System.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Albiore

Albiore

Webmaster

Greetings:

This is a little post.

Just is an idea... maybe is not an original one, but i think [Minitokyo] can make a system of language interface in its site. Languages like German, French, Portuguese, Spanish, and, why not, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.

Selecting the correct CSS for any language different to english. Maybe i can help you, if you want it.

The different Groups, like, for example Hispanime [http://groups.minitokyo.net/hispanime/], can translate the rules, buttons and the links you have.

If you do it, you can make a better site, an International site. It is just like the bigger enterprises, like Google, Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia, etc.

With this, you can win to your greater competition: deviantART.

It is just a vision... a big one i think. Again: if you need help in this project [if you want to take it] i am in your service.

_______

Saludos:

Esto es un pequeño posteo.

Apenas es una idea... no es quizá original, pero pienso que [Minitokyo] puede hacer un sistema de interfaz de la lenguaje en su sitio. Lenguajes like Alemán, Francés, Portugués, Español y, por qué no, Japonés, Chino, Coreano, etcétera.

Seleccionando el CSS correcto para cualquier lengua diferente al inglés. Puedo ayudarles quizás, si ustedes quieren.

Los diferentes grupos, como, por ejemplo Hispanime [ http://groups.minitokyo.net/hispanime/], puede traducir las reglas, los botones y los vínculos que ustedes tienen.

Si ustedes lo hacen, pueden hacer un mejor sitio, un sitio internacional. Es justo como las empresas más grandes, como Google, Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia, etcétera.

Con esto, ustedes pueden ganar a su mayor competencia: deviantART.

Es sólo una visión... una grande pienso. Otra vez: si ustedes necesitan ayuda en este proyecto [si es que desean tomarlo] estoy a su servicio.

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

There's already a thread on a very similar topic, and the mods made this statement:

Quote by sammo
while i understand why you would argue about this matter, there's a clear reason why it was removed (yes, it was allowed before).

according to the visitor statistics, rougly 75-80% of the visitors that minitokyo receives are from english speaking countries. assuming that some people are also bilingual, such as myself, we can easily deduct that up to 85-90% of visitors in MT can understand english with no problem at all, meaning up to 10% of the visitors cannot speak english.

this is all dandy and nice, but here's what i'm getting into.

the users that will primarily use language other than english in minitokyo will be that small portion of users, that 10%. with a ratio of 1:9, it seems to be almost unfair and selfish to other users that a foreign user can comment on their guestbook, participate in forum, and comment on gallery item with language other than english, but have no idea what they are talking about. furthurmore, if you deduct that those 10% of users are all from other countries, let it be spain, japan, china, iran, or what not, that 10% of communication range decreases even furthur, maybe even down to about 1-5%. this can mean that when a user receives a gallery item, he will have around 15% - 20% or more chance of receiving a comment where they will not understand, which is a ratio too great when the numbers are added up.

that's not the only point. minitokyo.net is an english community. there's no reason why any members should put up with language differences, because english is the unofficial language of the world. if a user has hard time communicating with others due to their inability to speak it, they should use free online translators such as babelfish.altavista.com.

if you think about it, what's the difference between spam and a line of sentence that can't be understood? both has no point to its readers and wish that it'd rather be something else. therefore, a sentence in different language is as good as a spam and we dont really need that here.

hope that answered your question. this was the decision made by the whole staff, and it will not be changed.

http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/10846/

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Albiore

Albiore

Webmaster

Greetigs:

Thank you, shinsengumi, for this... but, Babelfish not translate very good... and, i do not know the code, but, exist one translating code for PHP at least.

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote: It is forbidden to submit anything in a language other than English in the forum, gallery, reports, inquiries, or shoutbox. Thus it is allowed to post materials in languages other than english in guest books and Private Messages. Foreign languages are also allowed on gallery items, provided that it has artistic value.

The above is from the Minitokyo Policy document and is pretty clear on this issue.

Albiore, however good your argument is, the point is this: the official working language of Minitokyo is English, and the staff isn't going to be reversing their decision on this point. It simply isn't fair to English speakers, for which this community is designed, to have to deal with a multitude of foreign languages. . . as you yourself pointed out, even if there was a translation feature, translation services aren't that good. On the other hand, most everyone understands English, so keeping English the working language doesn't marginalize foreign visitors either.

s h i n s e n g u m i

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Albiore

Albiore

Webmaster

Greetings, shinsengumi:

I am agree with the rules, but, i just post a little, but big vision. The language interface, is like a step to [Minitokyo ]be better than before.

Like a way to arrive another coutries with more power.

I am perfectly understand all the rules, but, something innovating is good, i think.

Rebel-Soul-Kaze

Rebel-Soul-Kaze

Glittering Crux Emperor

Shinsengumi has a point,but also albiore,we are part of Hispanime,and we know a LOT of ppl that dont understand to well the english,and is very hard for them read the submission policy,yeah,is hard to make,but i think that will be a change,and like Albiore say it: is a way to arrive to another countries.

K I R A B O S H I !

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Rebel-Soul-Kaze, ambition is nice and all, but I think the mods have made their point fairly clear already, and they've noted that they're not going to be changing their decision. If you think that people don't understand things too well, rather than implement a whole new interface or allow posting in all languages, as long as there is a group for a particular language group that has a translation of the policy and such -- as I understand Hispanime has -- that should be more than enough to get people started.

s h i n s e n g u m i

Albiore

Albiore

Webmaster

Greetings:

Well, this is not a "fighting forum" n___nU. But i want to know the opinion of the owners of [Minitokyo]... they have the last word here.

Me gusta la idea yo te apoyare en lo que pueda compadre aunque no sea mas que un member aqui. :(

A Huevo Cabrones "[Hispanime]". Es La Verga.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.