Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Analyzing the NERV logo - Minitokyo

Analyzing the NERV logo

page 1 of 1 8 total items

We all see the motto of NERV underneath the logo.

What does the phrase "God's in his heaven. All's right with the world." mean? How does this describe what NERV is, or stands for?

The other half of the logo, the lettering NERV with the half leaf, what is that? what does it mean?

"Hey, you sass that hoopy Striker0013? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."

Signature

Hmm, I believe it was Robert Browing who said, "When God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world." He was a 19th century poet and it's from a poem he wrote called "Pippa Passes" In the poem, Pippa says the phrase because she is really happy with the world around her, no matter how cruel or mean the world actually appears to be.

I think Matt Greenfield says that NERV uses it because it's basically stating the fundamental essence of the show in which God or enlightenment is removed from the body. That is, God is in His Heaven; He is not here with us.

The leaf, is a fig leaf! Which means it's a Judeo-Christian symbol for original sin. You see, in the Bible, God tells Adam and Eve not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge, but they do so anyway and when they eat from the tree they learn right from wrong. They realise they are naked and cover themselves with fig leaves.

So in actual fact, the leaf represents humanity's fall from grace, but also humanity's knowledge (prefectly depicted through NERV itself), which is being used to counteract God.

I learned the above, some from my friend Kate who's a whiz on Evangelion, some from what I read on the net, and I believe the magazine "Anime Invasion" did an article on it too.

Hope it was helpful!

^_^v

I'm not obsessed . . . just overly enthusiastic!
Signature

*speechless*

Yes, it finally does make sense! Amazing stuff; and to think they fit all that in just one simple logo.

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

I still bet on engrish ... <grin>

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

wow....in one fell swoop, the question has been answered....

"Hey, you sass that hoopy Striker0013? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."

Signature

Quote by Revue*speechless*

yeah for sure...what she said...or...didnt say...

wow, thats alot of thought to be put into somthing so small....perhaps thats why eva is/was so good, and so well regarded. when they put that much thought, into a logo...then..yeah...needless to say, the pieces fit...

Quote by Striker0013wow....in one fell swoop, the question has been answered....

Glad to know that I'm useful for something!

^_~

I'm not obsessed . . . just overly enthusiastic!
Signature

N2Heiki

N2Heiki

Devil Bats' Quarterback

Yup and 'Nerv' is German for 'Nerve' in case u don't know

Signature
HiruMamo!!! Yaaaa- Haaaa-

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.