Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Please help, anyone know about computer? - Minitokyo

Please help, anyone know about computer?

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Barbara

Tomorrow is another day

I have a question like this:
There are 2 CDs, one contains 15 pictures of resolution 640*480 and the other one contains 15 pictures of resolution 1280*960, the lower quality images are black and white and the better quality images are in color, however in both cases each pixel is represented by 24 bits.
How much memory do we need to store all the images on the hard drive?
How many of the lowest quality images would we be able to fit on a standard floppy disk?
How many of the highest quality images would we be able to fit on a USB drive that has a capacity of 256MB?
How many of the highest quality images would we be able to fit on the USB drive if they were black and white?

I'm stuck with this one and really need some help. Thank you all so much in advance!!!
Have a great day.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
- Bill Wilson -

sonryu

sonryu

DVD Box Designer

The one thing you failed to mention is the file type... gif, jpeg, bmp, tiff, png, etc... :P

Barbara

Tomorrow is another day

Oops.... my bad ^_^. The file type is jpg

- Bill Wilson -

glassheart

glassheart

Heine's love slave

I suggest taking a calculator, going to the properties by selecting all of your files and right clicking. Go to the size, then, you can check on the box the floppy came from and compare the memories. If you don't have the package it came from, go look in a store to find out the memory.

KiYa

KiYa

Quotes for me

Quote by glassheartI suggest taking a calculator, going to the properties by selecting all of your files and right clicking. Go to the size, then, you can check on the box the floppy came from and compare the memories. If you don't have the package it came from, go look in a store to find out the memory.

i agree with glassheart....check by right clicking the files and checking out the properties or something then check your flashdrive and floppy and see for yourself,...i coulda given you your anwer flat out, but if you could learn something, then that would be better, at least in my opinion of it

Barbara

Tomorrow is another day

Thank you all for helping me, that was actually an exercise on paper, not on computer so I can not go to properties like glassheart and KiYa suggested. Anyway, I think that I did it. Thanks again ^_^

- Bill Wilson -

sh1nj1tsu

Old Soul

x_res * y_res * bit_depth = number_of_bits
(640 * 480 * 24 = 7,372,800 bits; color - use 8 bits for grayscale)

8 bits = 1 byte
(7,372,800 / 8 = 921,600 bytes)

1024 bytes = 1 Kilobyte (kb)
(921,600 / 1024 = 900 KB)

Continue for each unit higher. This is raw data and is not adjusted for compression. The rest is just division.

disk_size -> convert to same units

disk_size_converted / image_size = number_of_images

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

Hi, well then...

To be honest, it really depends a lot on how many elements does the picture have. As long as a fully black pic in jpg type (even when it's color depth is 24 bitsand it's reslution is 5000x5000) will only use about some KB's (10 the most), but if you have the same picture and it seems mre like a crazy collage, it will surely reach to the 30MB's.

JPEG is a picture compression type so as you can see, the size of each file may vary (some times, a lot >><<). sh1nj1tsu's pics info does only applies for bitmap file types (*.bmp).

OK? I'd recommend you to compress even more your files by using a zip software, or Windows XP compression carpets utility, OK? (again, sorry).

Thanks a lot for you thread.

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

with out knowing the file size for each file it really can't be said how many of what type will fit on what device....

*edited to add*

thanks to boredom I did the following

There are 2 CDs, one contains 15 pictures of resolution 640*480 and the other one contains 15 pictures of resolution 1280*960, the lower quality images are black and white and the better quality images are in color, however in both cases each pixel is represented by 24 bits.
How much memory do we need to store all the images on the hard drive?
How many of the lowest quality images would we be able to fit on a standard floppy disk?
How many of the highest quality images would we be able to fit on a USB drive that has a capacity of 256MB?
How many of the highest quality images would we be able to fit on the USB drive if they were black and white?

1. 7035k total for the high res and 1860k for the low totals 8895K total needed
2. standard floppy holds 1.4M so can hold 10 low res
3. 545 High res images at 469K each can fit onto 256M flash drive
4. 686 High res B&W at 373K each can fit onto 256M flash drive

Granted this is also guess work…I took a large image and resized it to 1280*960 and saved the file…then took the same image and resized it again to 640*480 and turned it black and white to get the figures….

Not saying this is correct but it’s probably pretty darn close

what we do in life echoes through eternity
(I'll add a new sig img as soon as the update works again)

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.