Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How To Manually Remove Spyware - Minitokyo

How To Manually Remove Spyware

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 37 total items

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

That's what restarting your computer is for, especially when in Safe Mode. If you do it immediately right after restarting without opening any internet brosers or internet-related programs - you'll be bound to delete all those files 99% of the time without denial. That's what me and my friends at university already know, and its a proven fact. Plus - running it in other methods will still require you to do a file delete selection, and you have to know a lot about computers, which many don't excel at - more people find this way a simpler method, and its just one of the very few effective tools out there that finds overlooked hidden Spyware within your computer, aside from what Ad-Aware can provide.

Quote by DccafdfThanks for the hint Celessa. It's kind of funny though, I have been
having problems with spyware/adware that none of my 4 anti-spyware
programs could detect. So I was fiddeling around with my computer, and
wondered into the application data and all users/application data
folders and found some crap in there myself. Got rid of it, then about
what? half an hour later, I log into MT and see this thread by you,
lol. Pretty funny.. I guess..
Well, thanks for the helpful thread anyway. I'm sure it'll help alot of
people, as this is what I ended up doing too, lol. ^__^

No problem - I'm glad it helped. Some people have had a rough time with Spyware - so I can see what you were going through - lol - but be aware that the Spyware will come back if you aren't too careful. That's why I check back maybe once every month to see if its fine.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

XD never knew celessa knows so much about com XD.
Well i'm very impressed ^^.
Good tips ^^

Tatsuya

Tatsuya

.: Lonely Chicky:.

good tips, thk u celes-sensei,
now, my computer no more spyware. hehe! (sayonara spyware-tachi, don't let me see you again) :)
thk again for the tips, cya, have a nice days

Signature

ps : excuse my poor english

thank you for the info. it is very helpful! ^_^

Signature Image

* : )

fuzzmegabass

fuzzmegabass

Code Ninja

Very cool info! At school, we have to use the computer labs as a class room and since they're windows systems they're bugged down with spyware/adware/malware you name it, these things have it. Usually the computers won't let you remove anything (Administrator restrictions) so sometimes you have to come up with really creative ways to manually remove it yourself. I've removed a lot of spyware with utility program such as Ad-aware, but sometimes when the computer you're using doesn't have any utility available, it's always good to know how to remove it manually :D

Signature Image

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Yes indeed, it's good to know both sides of the table. I figured out this idea when I realized there were still some problems on my computer. That's why I made sure I learned it the other way to get the FULL effect of removing all Spyware. Now I'm not saying its a bad idea to remove it manually - I'm sure as time goes on, the new programs will figure out better ways on remove Spyware indeed - but its good to have this on the back of your hand just in case.

Techno-freak? Hm... actually I'm not that great with computers, but just good enough to get me around. lol - I am just willing to continually learn something new - that is all. This was in my knowledge for quite some time, probably late last year. Someone inspired me and asked me how to manually remove software with that technique I taught others at high school within university, and someone PM'd me here asking the same thing, which inspired me to post this thread.

Quote by Tatsuyagood tips, thk u celes-sensei,
now, my computer no more spyware. hehe! (sayonara spyware-tachi, don't let me see you again) :)
thk again for the tips, cya, have a nice days

lol, I'll keep in touch. You be good though, okay? Hope this helps you too.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

minimouzo

minimouzo

Papaya

all i can say is that i totally don't trust the anti spyware programs ; they often want to delete system files and if they are not well configured they delete it without your permission like a huge rm -rf in unix ...

so i always do manually what you described here. It's the best way. I should add that to make it simple there is also the add/remove programs if you're on windows. Some stupid programs can be deleted this way.

i also recommend to be really carefull when deleting folders ... if you're not sure then do not delete.

another hint : you can make a search *.tmp on your computer and also delete all the files you think not appropriate. All what stands in /windows/temp in this file format can be deleted. if you never did this research before you'll sure have a lot of results.
As for the other tip ; if you're not sure ; don't delete.

so be careful with such manual deletion but for me it's the best way to get rid of those silly programs.

also give a look in the regedit.exe if you don't see some links/keys/lines who always refer to the program you have deleted.

@cel : i don't know if you will do this tutorial also ... i explain you the idea. When you just have deleted a program manually it can happen that it had to be load on startup. Deleting manually the folder doesn't destroy the startup launch. There is a way to get rid of it by going on the regedit.exe and deleting the line in a specific folder.

you can see startup informations this way if you're on xp :
*translating from french sorry*
startup > accessories > system tools (where the defrag program is) > system informations

there go on : software environnement (if it exists) it's the third choice on my windows version > click on the + > check for startup programs. They will all load with the specific access link to the right
for example :
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

this folder can be accessed via executing regedit.exe software.
HKLM means h key local machine > then browse the folders until you hit the Run folder ; you can now delte the entry refering to the annoying startup program.

I hope it is clear (>_<) but maybe cel will make a correct tutorial about this ... i'm only translating the french options ... i don't know what are the good english words ...

Eat a papaya everyday and everything will be ok Signature Image

Support section

DarkVirus

DarkVirus

::Nobody::

thanx for the tutorial...

this will really help make my computer clean

retire

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okay - it's been updated. I decided to put both methods down - my method and the
"advanced method" I added along the way. I hope this new method helps you out if you are further interested. Thank you.

Signature

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by CelessaThat's what restarting your computer is for, especially when in Safe
Mode. If you do it immediately right after restarting without opening
any internet brosers or internet-related programs - you'll be bound to
delete all those files 99% of the time without denial.

Pls be careful if you do this. ...System restore won't be able to fix it if you delete something you weren't supposed to while in safe mode....

minimouzo

minimouzo

Papaya

EDIT :
1) I saw you wrote down what i said as a way to get rid of spyware ... it's only a way to disable the activation of a program at startup.
i repeat it ; this basic regedit check is only to help you to delete such error message created by windows when a dependence or a file is missing.

2) all softwares aren't located at HKLM (or others) / ... blablabla/ RUN
the location is written just at the right of the information line in "startup programs" under "system information"

3) last point ; what you think as common sense that when you trash the files the startup won't create any problem is totally wrong.
a basic idea is that if the OS doesn't find something it want to access ; it's understood as an exception which is solved by the interruption manager. In such case it can result in a message displaying on your screen.

~~

Quote by CelessaUnfortunately, your method is the removal of the trigger of the program, but it does not remove the source of the Spyware, however, so keep that in mind.

I suppose you're talking to me ^_^ i don't know why but you seem always to have an aggressive tone ^_^

well it seems you haven't understood why i talked about regedit.
i'll maybe clarify. Regedit is like the heart of windows. this is the register database if you want. Windows is like a huge spaghetti. Deleting a folder destroy only the FILES but there also keys associated to those files. They have to be trashed to fully uninstall a software.
proof of it : when you uninstall a program via add/remove read the little steps ^_^

Quote by celessaWhat's better? Having the source but not having the trigger to enable it, or the opposite , having the trigger, but the trigger can't activate this source because the source isn't even there? Common sense, of course.

^_^ you haven't understood my thought. I proposed this regedit check if a problem occurs with your method which is totally normal and that i do often.

let's take an example : so you delete the source and everything goes fine but the trigger as you call it is still there. Windows is not as clever as you are. Trigger search [spy].exe which has to acces the library [spy].dll ... but the poor windows can't find them so what do you get ? A nice error message which is often the reason of formating an hard drive for one person who doesn't want to search or to repair. "What the hell is this error ? let's go for a format disk ^_^"

something like : MSPY.dll not found. Click on ok

this is often caused by a program uninstalled not fully.

the solution is to check on system informations to see if there is not a program like MSPY which is launch at startup. If there are; check the emplacement of it (it's written). Then go on the regedit and delete also the "trigger". Restarting; and oh joy the message has disappeared.

The trigger you talk about. Every program wich is launched at startup have one ... you talk of it like a invention of the demon but keep in mind your office loader or your printer's driver is also actived by those "trigger". You have to call a cat a cat :)

Eat a papaya everyday and everything will be ok Signature Image

Support section

Iyasis

Iyasis

:: Crystal Winter ::

Excellent and thorough tutorial Celessa! ^^
i deal with spyware the RegEdit way since some programs such as Ad-Aware have actually messed up my computer in the past ~_~ One thing i'd like to mention with RegEdit is that one should always make a backup of their entire registry before doing anything. That way, as in the first method, if you mess something up or accidently delete something, you can also reload your backup registry. One time I accidently the 'hkey_local_current_user' folder ~ i'm SO glad I had made a backup, or else my computer would have been toast >_<

LoverJay

LoverJay

Friendly but shy

Ty for the help ^_^

Hi every1 I'm new here so i don't know wat to say.

Hi every1 i am a friendly person so dont be afraid to ask anything but just to tell u i am shy and afraid of u ^_^ /)(\ A touch of a finger is a great thing!!! And 1 more thing THANK U Kitten for the avatar!! All thanks to Kitten!!^_^

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 37 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.