Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Anime vs Cartoons -- the difference? - Minitokyo

Anime vs Cartoons -- the difference?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 43 total items

yen420

yen420

Sporadic Appearance

Mom: Stop watching cartoons!!!
Dad: Cartoons are for kids, you're over 20!

Okay, that's the typical scenario I hear whenever I get into disputes with parents, may it be because I spent quite a hefty some of money on this particular anime or because I was hogging the TV to watch it. *sighs*

Questions: What is Anime and what is Cartoon to you?

Proud Member of:
Bleach-Central

jackie-lyn

jackie-lyn

Non-Chinese-speaking Chinese

Anime is from Japan while cartoon from outside Japan.
Anime goes deeper into the storyline until it gets complicated. Cartoon...well, mostly on the surface. Anime can go from G to nc-17 and I never seen that in cartoon so far. Guess these Japanese companies are really daring eh? ^_^'

Movin'...

theultimatemiracle

theultimatemiracle

Todai Aspirant

Well, both anime and cartoons are animations. But what differs them is their quality. As usual, Anime is of much higher quality then cartoons, mainly because of their excellent plot and story. As you can see, now artists from the US are using ideas from Japanese Anime, but so far, their standards have not reached the required level as high as a japanese animation.

Signature Image
Narusegawa!!! I've Always Liked You!!!----Keitaro; Love Hina

Nisna

Nisna

~ Meow ~

Anime:
...something I love, I live of it, I would die without it, I love, I and I already said that I would die without it? :nya: >_< XP

Cartoon:
... no thanks! :sweat:

Anime is from Japan and Cartoon is from US.
Anime is very representative of Asian culture, while cartoons are more on Western culture.

Signature Image
[url =http://groups.minitokyo.net/japaneselover/]#JapaneseLover# [/url]

kiri-chan

kiri-chan

Casual Waller

Anime is cartoons, just in a different style and form because of the Japanese culture. I think it's funny how you guys can say you love anime and hate cartoons. Hypocritical.

Summoner

Lotosypherine

I'll give a better explanation just in case someone wants to really know.
In the beginning there was Disney,and there were cartoons.Osamu Tezuka was the man that could be though as the grandfather of animation as we know it.Greatly inspired by Disney he created his own style of making comics or manga as they are know in Japan.Till then the manga in japan had a different style,like a kabuki theater if anyone has watched.Tezuka made it more as you know it today,more cinematic.
So while the post war period in Japan left and years passed there came animation.Moving images of Japanese traditional stories and - Mighty Atom ,which was the first tv anime.
While anime was infuenced by the west animation/cartoon industry it developed differently and today we see the west copy the east (to a level).
In the west the concepts hadn't no death or realistic psychologies and that kind of stuff(u understand what I'm saying I believe,whatch and episode of Mickey Mouse)while Mighty atom (for this example)had a character that was a robot inside a human community,how it was accepted,how it saw death,how it build its character in a world of humans while it realised the various things humanity is about.A lovable character in the end(I'm not a big fan though)who was moving with nuclear energy and was friendly so --->(think Hiroshima/Nagasaki) the difference are right in front of your eyes.
From that time many genres came and there are various topic to discuss,not all anime are like that,but anime are for all ages depending on their style,a child won't understand berserk or it wouldn't be healthy to see all this war situation but it might be fine to look Shoujo like Sailormoon or Shounen like Getta Robo .(Shoujo are primarly for girls and Shounen for boys)
Make your paretns read this and if they have an open mind they'll understand.Have fun,See ya around.

n>1

someguy66

someguy66

The FlameHaze

Cartoons are for kids and anime are for older kids and adults.

Signature

Not all (American) cartoons are for kids, though. Family Guy, King of the Hill, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, etc. There are cartoons for infants, kids, and teens&adults. Just as there are animes for different age groups.

SOME cartoons actually have ongoing plots (Justice League, etc.), but I don't know many that do... since I don't watch them. I do see that anime is slowly replacing cartoons though (look on CN and you'll find that anime, because of its growing popularity in the US, now has a huge spot there).

It's all up to the viewer and what they prefer.

bloodphoenix

bloodphoenix

Shadowflame

In anime the themes and humour are often of a more mature or sophisticated level than that of cartoons.

Time is wriitten on the wind Fate is not carved in sheets of stone these are the words that I have heard~gasaraki
I lie in darkness because darkness lies in me

knightstar3

knightstar3

already there...

i like anime but i don't really like cartoons. cartoons are for kids. anime has more complicated storylines and to me, they're much more interesting. besides, they're more well-drawn too. i like anime because of the different storylines and how the characters are drawn...they're soo good :)

Signature
member of COLORFUL WALLIES!
member of Hoteru-no-Shiki

anime seems to stress a lot more importance on the plot and story althought there are some with crappy storylines. Not many anime is just about nonesense yet there are countless cartoons like that. most cartoons = episodes that are different everytime. while anime = sequencial

I plan to live forever... So far so good

cereshe22

cereshe22

goddess

anime contains different stories love, frienship etc. it can also be like by older people unlike cartoons.

thelunarmage

thelunarmage

I'm getting too old for this...

I like both cartoons and anime. I find what I label as cartoon to be mindless and harmless fun entertainment drawn in a western style animation. Anime on the other hand has deeper meanings, a far more eastern style of drawing. In anime, eyes are used to great effect to capture emotion and evoke feelings, for instance slanted/slit sharp eyes suggest to the viewer that the character is sinister/evil whereas the large oval shaped eyes are more likeable and evoke more warmth in a character. Cartoons generally don't have that level of thought placed into the work, a notable exception would be The Simpsons, though I still class that as a cartoon. Just my $0.02 worth of ramblings. :D

Phantom: You alone can make my song take flight! It's over now, the music of the night! - The Phantom of the Opera

Proud member of: Oldsters |MegatokyoFC | GameThreadSociety | Goddess-Fanclub | Dub-Lovers-Group | ChrnoCrusade | MT-Singles-Club | Minitokyo-Australia

There is only one cartoon that I know of that has better quality than most anime out there.
Anything with Bugs Bunny and the reason I say this is because the words he speaks, in the old ones now, his lips move right alone with the words while is a lot of anime the lips just move, even to the japanese words.
I, however, do prefer anime over any cartoon. Anime usually has a good storyline and deep characters, the exceptions do come up. *cough*DBZ*cough*DBGT*cough* Dragonball was actually good, but that was because Akira Toriyama<sp> did it himself.

Those Who Take Life Never Had Live ~Self~

Anime is more adult in its content.

-Never love anything, for it will be taken away-
-Death is not the end of life, contrarily it is the beginning of it-
-I do not care so much that they respect me, only that they fear me-
-Happily-ever-after is a lie-

Norimune

Norimune

Prince of Winter

The mayor difference (I think) relies in the bad guys. In cartoons the villains are mainly bad for no reason at all, just like to fight the good guys, and good guys are nothing but love and peace. In a good animé the two powers are more equilibrated, good guys are not so good and bad guys are not so bad. Whatsmore, Badguys have a cruel background that explains their reasons for wanting to create caos...

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici." By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

darkfighter

darkfighter

darkfighter000

Mom: Why do you keep watching Anime?
Dad: You're not a kid anymore. Stop watching those cartoons.

Anime is an animation with a storyline and a drawing style. It has more emotion than a cartoon.
Cartoons are animations without a storyline and is quite pointless to fall in love with. All it does is make you laugh.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Catoon is an all encompassing term....which covers both animated and non animated comics and series of every genre and style. Anime is a form of cartoon, albiet usually more sophisticated or mature than the average "Tom and Jerry" that I would consider putting into the special interests catagory because of its deep ties to Japanese culture and roots.

Technically, anime goes under cartoons, I think. But cartoons are often used about the cartoons from the US.
The differences is that cartoon acctually is more focused at kids, as the Western culture says "Cartoons is for children". Anime is more for people in all ages (you can find things for small children, to things that is rated 18+ :p), and often has a deeper and better story (therefor there is more of animes meant for odler children or adults, as smaller children often don't care about such things :\), and imo better animation :d...

triofpwr

triofpwr

the dr.d of pain

Quote by jackie-lynAnime is from Japan while cartoon from outside Japan. Anime goes deeper
into the storyline until it gets complicated. Cartoon...well, mostly on
the surface. Anime can go from G to nc-17 and I never seen that in
cartoon so far. Guess these Japanese companies are really daring eh?
^_^'

exactly of what i'm thinking of

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

hmm just 2ct:
by definition: anime are japanese animations with usually a manga background
by viewpoint: anime usally has a higer quality.. a reall story.. good background, details..
I've seen some non-japanese quality stuff but then again.. not all japanese animation are of good quality..
I just like to watch what I like to watch.. be it a 'cartoon', a japanese animation or some weird 'kiddy show'
just happens a lot of what I like comes from japan :)
but no 'cultural indoctrination' going to stop me from having fun :)

[short sigs yay!]
URL: http://web.expr42.net/ or http://web6.expr42.net/
-death ot the signature bunny!- :)

Summoner

Lotosypherine

Didn't anyone heard what I said...*sigh* -_-

n>1

basically Anime is good Cartoon is Bad ....qualtiy/drawing wise that is

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 43 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.