Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Tell stories of your humble beginnings of anime! - Minitokyo

Tell stories of your humble beginnings of anime!

page 1 of 1 20 total items

I remember way back in the day when I just learned what anime was I loved watching Gundam Wing. I'd watch it on Cartoon Network's Toonami during the day right when I got home from middle school, then when it was on again past my bedtime I'd sneak into the living room (since I didn't have my own cable at the time) and watch on the big-screen TV. I made sure the volume was at "1" and I'd sit about 5 feet away, straining my neck, so I could hear everything without my parents "busting" me. Good times!

Signature
"Eloi, Eloi, lema... sabachthani..."

-renkinjutsushi-

-renkinjutsushi-

Samurai Alchemist

I got into anime about the same time you did, it sounds like. But I was not so lucky as to have cable so I could watch Gundam Wing -- a friend taped it for me. Escaflowne came on FOX and I was a goner.

I was an insufferable Pokemon-geek when the anime first came on TV too, because it was honestly *unlike* any of the other cartoons on. Of course, it came on inbetween Batman-Superman episodes, so I'd just tape all three.

I'd read manga for a little bit longer than that, though, since I was collecting comic books and these strange comics with the black and white art and the off-the wall, sometimes indecipherable humor caught my eye. I remember picking Inuyasha up ... it had to be my freshman year in high school, because that was the last comic book convention I went to with my father. That was *eight years ago*.

...I feel *old* now...

Whosoever hath this Stone, may live in a healthful state, to the last term of his Life, appointed to him by God, and may have all whatsoever he desires on Earth. -- A Work of Saturn; Johann Isaac Hollandus

Norimune

Norimune

Prince of Winter

once I hated anime, yeah! that's right!
I critized people who wachted Dragon Ball calling them nerds and things like that...
Once HBO played Ghost in the Shell... I didn't know what it was but I loved the opening song... I kept my ass in the chair and watched the first scenes... IT WAS LOVE AT first sight!!! ''what's this!'' I said ''i have missed this much in my life!''... so I decided to give dragon ball a try... I loved it too!!! I started investigating, whatching every anime that came to the cable... I started buying mangas too, became a Mangaka and now I can't stop! well.. I don't want to stop...
That's more or less my story I am 23 years old I love anime and I intend to be buried with all my mangas and DVD's too... now you can call me a nerd, I simply don't care... anime rules!!! XD

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici." By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Got my first anime watching the first Astroboy, Voltes V, Daimos and other old Mecha series.

Then came Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon these were the ones that reallly hooked me up w/ anime and up until now im still wacthing any anime i find thats good.

Signature

J-Music lover
If you need any songs just PM me an if I have it ill link it to you

Norimune

Norimune

Prince of Winter

Quote by charmeGot my first anime watching the first Astroboy, Voltes V, Daimos and other old Mecha series.
Then came Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon these were the ones that reallly hooked me up w/ anime and up until now im still wacthing any anime i find thats good.

uhmmm sailor moon... I forgot to mention that one...
imagine what those five half naked girls did to me while I was 15 years old and all... :D
I understand you charme... they can really hook you up indeed... :)

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici." By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

lol.. i hated anime too.. to me, it was just childish cartoon back then. but i didn't hate dragonball Z, because that was like "the" best anime when i was young. so later on~~~~ i somehow saw a person reading love hina in the classroom, so i wondered and download the manga. manga was sooo good!!! then.. i download the anime ^^

Great stories thus far! I never hated anime myself, but I was really confused when I first turned on DBZ that fateful day. The Namek saga was on and Goku was on his way over. Since then I watched all the anime I could, I taped CN for entire days because I didn't know how to set it for specific hours lol.

Signature

as far as i remeber teh first anime i watched was mazinger z.... that or kinba...not sure right now lol ...but then anime that got me really hooked was saint seiya @.@ .

Cataclysm

Cataclysm

Shadows of nothing

I started back when I was 4 (about 18 years ago) watching a few series on TV when I lived in Hong Kong, it all started with things like Astroboy, Voltron, and series like that but the moment that I got hooked on the stuff was when I saw Nausicaa: The Valley of the Wind. That movie was really amazing and from that point on I wanted to see anything and everything like it and I've been collecting Anime as long as I can remember since then. I've got DVDs + VHS tapes, posters, wall scrolls, figures, statues, plush toys, the only thing I don't collect is Mangas and that's only because they're hard to get here in Australia, plus I can't really afford another addiction :)

Quote by Norimuneonce I hated anime, yeah! that's right!
I critized people who watched Dragon Ball calling them nerds and things like that...

I've always found that most people who criticised others about watching Anime have never really watched it themselves and the funniest part is most of the people who used to give me crap about it are now hooked to the stuff themselves thanks to me ^_^

i started watching Anime when i first saw Ranma and Yuyu Hakusho. like 7 years ago.

well,my story begins with a friend introducing me to the pokemon world,then we would watch taped,and yet never a clear picture of japanese versions of db,and laugh at the commercials of chicken this and chicken that...db,dbz,gundam wing..i never really liked sailor moon that much..cartoon network was my life..i guess i was about 11..perhaps just getting into middle school..i even collected pokemon,dbz,and gundam wing cards..then for some reason got into card games along with collecting them...to sit infront of the tv with my friends watching dbz,and playin cards at the same time..if it were a drug..i never got enough

I remember watching my first love anime...YuYu Hakusho. I was in elementary back then. It's really popular in the Philippines. I was lucky enough because most Filipinos are anime enthusiasts. So different channels are airing various animes. In fact, you don't need to subscribe to any cable company just to watch them. It's really great. But hey, here comes animax and cartoon network's Toonami. So, subscribing to cable channels is a must... :D

And that my friends is my story... :)

zakaro

zakaro

I'm your princess

i have always seen anime in tv when i was a little girl (3 or 4)... i started with candy candy, attacher you, glass no kamen... but i was introduced in the world of anime ( and not cartoons) by a friend of mine with chobits (fansub). he used to call me to tell me that he finished to download the episode of the week and i had to go to him and we seen chobits togheter :nya:
i remember chii-chan saying:" Pantsu, pantsu" or "Hideki"... nice time i had :nya:

Sorry for my english... tenses are not my good point XD

@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*
This is my latest wall...
Signature

winged

winged

Nostalgic...

Actually it was the television that showed mi anime. Then it was my brother that intorduced to mi manga. From there i got to know abt more anime, from frenz & also the media. Then it was the net tt i dl anime & then now im still on it! Short story rite lol!

Signature
| What do you believe in and fight for? |

Takeya

Takeya

the enigma + extremeties thereof

I'm fairly new. I remember as far back as late 2003 I was downloading pictures of anime off of websites, because I thought they were great art, but I still denied I liked anime (and I never did watch it). Then I started watching Adult Swim's late night Anime on cartoon network and I liked the shouws but still didn't consider them real anime.

i finally remembered from some reason the existence of Animesuki and since I had some free time I decided to test the power of my new file sharing program shareaza by downloading a new release, which happened to be an episode of Maria-Sama ga Miteru. I thought the art of the Anime was excellent, and I ended up downloading much more. Next I downloaded DearS which was my first real exposure to an Anime that I enjoyed and followed (I've since seen Maria-sama but I actually didn't like it that much). DearS remains my favorite anime today.

In Russia is freedom of speech. In America is also freedom after speech. -- Yakov Smirnoff

Signature

Raiynagh

Raiynagh

fr0gm45+3r

About two years ago, I randomly found an image of Evanglion Unit 01 while searching for Battletech picures. I thought it was really cool, so I searched for Evangelion, then anime in general, since I knew nothing about it. Thus I found out about other series, and eventually went and bought many DVDs. Evangelion's still my favourite though.

If we talk in a very high pitched voice, the fish can't hear us...

Great, great, keep it coming! I have yet another story, lol.

All this anime was really getting me into Japan and it's culture, so I decided to explore snacks and such. I don't live in a city or anything, so I looked around online. In Tenchi Muyo, which I loved, I remembered Ayeka and Ryoko drinking sake; I made a plan <.< >.> I found some online, and bought it with my mom's card saying I was gonna get some Japanese food and drinks (I DID also get Pocky and Ramune... so it wasn't lying lol).

Anyway, they ended up calling my Mom about alcoholic drinks being sent and if it was okay, appearently she accepted, but asked me what I was doing ordering sake. Ooooh boy, I didn't expect her to know what it was (or any calls for that matter)... I told her I didn't know it was alcoholic and I noticed it was popular, "I thought it was some kind of soda." so I just ordered. It worked!

It came to my house and my Mom agreed that I could try it. Supposedly it doesn't stay fresh long so I "dumped it out" that night... Yeah, I actually put it in a couple empty soda bottles and a few days later had a "red faced" good time with one of my friends.

Sometimes I feel guilty about it, but I look up at that empty bottle of sake on the top of my desk and realize it was worth it; then I get flooded with past memmories of Tenchi =)

Signature

ZittFu

ZittFu

Part-time Shinigami

I think i have been an anime fan for a long time now , it started with watching Robotech and other great Giant robo oldies , when i was like 8 years old ,then it took a while to find another good anime cause i had no cable back then, then Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya came in national tv around 1995. But it was not until 1997 when i became a complete otaku , when me and some friends started buying anime magazines and got to watch Evangelion and Escaflowne. Since then ive come long ways Gundam Seed, Berserk, Naruto , Bleach . . . anime and manga has been a great part of my life since those 1997 days. Now I am almost 22 years old and i am just gonna keep going on watching and reading till th end of time.

Sigourney

Sigourney

perfectAssassin

Well... at first (I was about 9-10 years old XD) I watched it (Gigi, Daimos, etc, etc... some old titles XD) without knowing that it was anime xd... then came Sailor Moon... and my friend lent me a magazine about anime and manga... then I found JPF (Polish Publishing House)... started buying "X"... yep... that's how it all started... then when I was about 13-14 I got into yaoi XP... hehe... and my first yaoi ever was Kizuna ;P...

Signature Image
Showtaro Morikubo-sama~<333

well..i have no big brave story about ordering sake with my mom's identity...but i must say my stories are fun ones..my friend introduced me to pokemon,and dragonball,and dragonballz,and then i went in into gundam wing...we were both into the models,the shows ofcourse,cards,mainly we loved watching her tapes of all the funny japanese commercials...lmao...we would sit there for hours just rewinding one over and over..hehe ot was great...i wish i had those tapes

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.