Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do you feel better knowing there's worse? - Minitokyo

Do you feel better knowing there's worse?

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Aplos

Aplos

Meow-mix

I just posted in a thread and remembered something I thought about a while ago. Why is that when you're not feeling right, in a bad situation, people will bring up other situations worse than yours, to make you feel better? Are we supposed to feel better because there's worse? Are we supposed to feel better because there are people suffering more than we do? If you do, doesn't that make you a pretty bad person? Sadistic? And if you don't feel better, but don't feel sympathy towards the person in the example, then don't you feel bad about NOT feeling bad? Let's face it...most of us will not feel worse about someone we don't know, but we will feel worse about us. It always happens to me. Others try and comfort me simply end up making me feel guilty about not feeling as bad about the other person as I do about me. What do you guys think?

Signature

anfrey

kuchiki rukia turns me on

i believe what they are trying to do is to make you guilty for feeling bad about yourself or your situation, and to remove you from that mindset thru a guilt trip. basically a "what gives you the right to feel that way when there is much worse going on?" ... well, that's the way i see it, at least for my closer group of friends. i believe the following applies to the majority of the population:

.....and then there's the selfish ppl who think "well, i'm better off than so and so, so i feel better about myself now" .... which imho is just horrible. since when does "being superior" to another person, based on their misfortunes, become something good?!?!? egotistical people.... what a terrifying thought process. . . .

it just makes me sad when i hear of others' misfortunes. i can't help it, it's the built-in empathy within. . . from your post it seems you have a similar mindset to my own.. . .

Aplos

Aplos

Meow-mix

I think they partly mean to make you feel better by presenting the worse situations so you can be thankful you're not like that...and partly what you said, to make you feel guilty and stop your selfishness of feeling bad about your "insignificant little problem".

Well, this thread's pretty much a failure...*sigh*

Signature

bmagrl

.:hot pink cosmo:.

its not really a failure as long as people are responding.. ist not a failure to me. i think why they bring up a worse situation is that they want you to know that there are much worse out there and that your situation is not that bad (even though it might seem like it is at the time). they are probably just trying to help but they didn't know that it made you feel even more guilty.

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.