Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Featured Submissions - The never-ending-debate - Minitokyo

Featured Submissions - The never-ending-debate

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Seems like I've seen a retarded amount of threads regarding featured submissions lately, and it's a problem that perhaps warrants some attention from the admin on this site. I'm sure behind the scenes there is discussion regarding this as well - I've heard complaints about it from admin themselves at any rate.... so I was kinda thinking how one might go about solving the problem and thought of a few things....

The easiest thing, in my opinion, would be to create two featured sections. Keep the one we have now to make sure everyone stays happy (cause gawd knows the complaints that will come in if you change anything too drastically) and add another section for walls "featured by admin". This could even include elite members or whatever... something voted on by admin that goes into the admin section. Quality control, if you will.

I think you might even be able to get away with splitting up the current featured section and doing 4 from members, and 4 from admin. I dunno... might be a way to keep everyone happy...

The other idea revolved around nominating walls to be featured, etc... but might be a more complex and possibly combersome solution.

Sandy

Sandy

graphic fighter

I don't know if it would be a good idea. I agree in the sense that it's true I don't find all featured submissions "the best" but at the same time having a "featured by admin" would be too subjective unless we do it by technical criteria and not by simple "liking".

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Would everyone have access to to the 'quality controlled' walls though? Or would you suggest people being of a certain level before seeing them? In the same way as downloading scans if you will.

I'd like to see how this turns out.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by SandyI don't know if it would be a good idea. I agree in the sense that it's
true I don't find all featured submissions "the best" but at the same
time having a "featured by admin" would be too subjective unless we do
it by technical criteria and not by simple "liking".

Or selective because of their so-called "friends" as well. I don't like the idea of how one person or a few in charge should run the show on who picks what wallpaper. Never said it wouldn't work though, and I'm all for it. Read crapmonster's panel idea and you'll get what I mean. Better to have it selective by certain random members every week, and at least members who will treat any wall of equal value while judging, not members who turn a blind eye and is selective because he or she feels so.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Quote by CelessaOr
selective because of their so-called "friends" as well. I don't like
the idea of how one person or a few in charge should run the show on
who picks what wallpaper. Read crapmonster's panel idea and you'll get
what I mean. Better to have it selective by certain random members
every week, and at least members who will treat any wall of equal value
while judging, not members who turn a blind eye and is selective
because he or she feels so.

well I think that's pretty difficult, cause... all people are different, got different views, different interrest....so...being 100% objective is not possible. well....minitokyo is a free community...so...I think people may fav it as well....... mayB we should make some categories like...the levels....okay....people between 60 and 100 will got some darn battle....or....sheq should come up with some system that will only accept people who has posted >.>......that's a bit better then a fav only.....(you'll get some crap comment.....but make a comment takes time....so some people wouldn't fav it then)....or...mae some rules for the things that a wallpaper should have....or some aspects that you see on the wall than you shouldn't fav???(example: rule= if you see pixelated things dun fav......) then you can make a big rule script about faving and comment a wall......this will also raise the art discipline from people and then people will try make some better wallpapers to get fav(even that's not the thing we want ...still the quality will raise)

Well no offense to anyone, but if you trust the admin that little what the heck are you doing here? Maybe I'm being naive when I think that a group of admin/elite members are able to feature walls they find to be of "great quality" without stepping over the bounds of featuring only thier "friends" walls. I guess I would hope that it wouldn't be about "picking your friends" because that would be an abuse of power. Isn't that pretty much what people are doing now with the current system, and part of the reason the quality of featured walls is in question? I can't see how selecting "random members" would work... I think that the idea of such is perhaps ideal... but plausible is another story.... and who would make up these random members? The exact same people who are now faving things that are going into featured?.... Would we "pick" certain people? If we are picking certain people, why not just pick the admin? What makes them a poor choice?

I don't disagree with any of the ideas thus presented... just want to open it up for more discussion.

mdntdragon

mdntdragon

Dark Dragon---Ruler of the night

features should be picked by their stats (i.e. views,downloads,etc...

On leathern wings and with fiery breath, I descend upon you!

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by DarkParagonI guess I would hope that it wouldn't be about
"picking your friends" because that would be an abuse of power.

That's pretty much the point. If someone were to plan to be running the walls like this, plus the fact that it begins to single out good wallers from all over MT through personal issues, etc. etc. - it tends to really start separating groups of members from all categories and then it'll become yet another never-ending battle. That's just my vision.

Quote by DarkParagonWould we "pick" certain people? If we are picking certain people, why not just pick the admin? What makes them a poor choice?
I don't disagree with any of the ideas thus presented... just want to
open it up for more discussion.

I wouldn't mind apparently, but some people might. Who knows. It depends on the group of people, really.

As for the "random" pick of people each week, that was just a suggestion another member pointed out. I liked the idea, but then that would be subject to criticism as well and I can see it all happen too clearly. I'll trust over anyone mainly in charge as long as the problem gets fixed once and for all. That's all that matters in this case.

Any suggestion is possible, but not impossible to carry out. I'm sure someone might bring another bright idea to the table - something more people may agree upon. Hopefully it'll come, as long as we keep the pressures of this debate at hand.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

well...the mods......they dun really got alot of time to choose them i think...since they got work and other things...and if you let the mods to do that.....it will look like some wallpaper contetst here>.>....or do you mean the admin>.>....I dun think sheq got time...
yes they can step over the friends problem...but there is still that subjective way >.>......

EDIT:
ow....mayB letting the wallpaper notifs away....and if people wan to look for a wall....they just should search in the gallary....so...there will only be some thread and message notifs.....
also...I think people shouldn't use stockphotos........you can't show your own skills then....but I think brushes and textures are aceptable....

You could always do away with the "recent submissions" all together and have it display random wallpaper from the gallery each time the page is refreshed.... I just wonder if that would perpetuate more of the "add me to your friends list so you can fav my wall" attitude.

No matter what is done there really isn't a way to be "impartial" or "objective" about this. It's almost at the point where I wonder if it wouldn't be the best idea to get rid of the featured section all together... or put "random" wallpaper with favs above a certain level in the featured section.... or just plain random wallpapers.

Quote by DarkParagonYou could always do away with the "recent submissions" all together and
have it display random wallpaper from the gallery each time the page is
refreshed.... I just wonder if that would perpetuate more of the "add
me to your friends list so you can fav my wall" attitude.
No matter what is done there really isn't a way to be "impartial" or
"objective" about this. It's almost at the point where I wonder if it
wouldn't be the best idea to get rid of the featured section all
together... or put "random" wallpaper with favs above a certain level
in the featured section.... or just plain random wallpapers.

hmz...showing the wallpapers random.....sounds nice =)....but what if there is alot of crap walls....and if you refreshed the page a few times...and still see some crap walls.....then it's almost the same with the crapwall problem...

having the admins choose isn't a bad idea...if they like let a random member join them in picking the walls then that would be more fair i guess...plus...the admins all have different friends and different tastes and try to be as fair as possible in everything else so i got lot so trusts...in most of them....haha give osi power and watch him put his own picts up there XD haha nah i dont think he would really do that...hehe maybe a vote on a wall in irc might be part of the choosing too

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Thus, everyone would have their fair share of their work being featured. What would really be a great idea is if the mods can place a CSS code that can view anime wallpapers and/or doujinshi at random for an hour, then shift wallpapers and/or doujinshi for another hour, and so on. It could be entitled "Anime of the Hour". This way, there would be less complaints about members not getting the attention they should have.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

shinta

shinta

Kawaii Chibi Meeper

IMO...remove the Featured Section so that there won't be any complaints whatsoever. =/

Randomizing the wallpapers is a good idea IMO...because it puts everyone on equal ground, no matter how good or bad you are, no matter how many faves from friends you have, those wallpapers will have have same chances of getting in front. That means equal rights to everyone.

If you see a crappy wall in front...then report it!

Signature Image
IMTeam -=- [Sammo] -=- [Kenzuke] -=- [OracleAngel] -=- [SapphireSky] -=- [dedwards] -=-
[WCC] [Vectorness] [Anime Club] [Canvas] [DNAngel Fans] [Express] [YYH Group] [IRC] [MTs] [FLIP]

biriwilg

Retired Moderator

biriwilg

+indie mod+

We've been discussing having a mod-selected wall or walls of the day/week/whatever. Believe me, alot of discussion is going on behind the scenes, but it's good to see the members of MT interested too. ^^ I think your random wall idea thingy is a great idea, but maybe with a bit of limitation: random walls from the past week/month or so? So that it isn't flooded with moldy-oldy stuff, and gives people a chance to see stuff without slogging through the recent submissions. ^^

Quote by biriwilgWe've been discussing having a mod-selected wall or walls of the day/week/whatever. Believe me, alot of discussion is going on behind the scenes, but it's good to see the members of MT interested too. ^^ I think your random wall idea thingy is a great idea, but maybe with a bit of limitation: random walls from the past week/month or so? So that it isn't flooded with moldy-oldy stuff, and gives people a chance to see stuff without slogging through the recent submissions. ^^

I like the idea of imposing some limitations to the randomness (past few weeks, etc). I think it might be good to go even one step further and make it so that it would also be restricted to just one wallpaper per person at any given time... So someone that floods the gallery with 25 walls in 2 weeks doesn't have 3 wallpapers randomly showing at once.

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Biri made a good point. It is true that some of the oldest members of Minitokyo are not returning, so it wouldn't be good to try to view the oldest wallpapers at random. Perhaps one day or week will do. A month may be too long since new submissions come in frequently.

DarkParagon, you made a good point. It wouldn't be fair to view 2 or more wallpapers at random from one member. If, and only if, the moderators end up placing this rotation in effect, they will be the ones to select the wallpapers. Thus, it will be very likely that there will be no more than one wallpaper selected from each member.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.