Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why always swords?? - Minitokyo

Why always swords??

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 43 total items

not alawys like dante he have guns right and kosmos also not always that my opinin

Ooh, cool pic, Celessa :) Where's it from?

xserasx

xserasx

doom

probly cuz sword fighters are pretty skillful in fighting power and speed and stuff and they want the main character to be an all-arounder type person.

take a chance you stupid ho.

randomspace

randomspace

Why are you here anyway?

Well most rpg's, or at least the popular ones, are coming out of japan. Which we all know has a strong and rich history of sword weilding individuals. There is alot of thought and value in swords, they are a more personal form of combat, and other little things like that.

In all honestly there aren't alot of weapon choices out there.

you have Guns, club like objects(mase, bats, etc.), are own body(fists,legs, magic or super power,), machines(mechs, veichles, maybe a projectile weapon that isn't considered a gun), and we have cutting weapons, like swords.

5 or so options. Guns are nice, but swords are much easier to look flashy. You can do fun combonations and the ability to great diffrent battle systems when a character has a flashy style of fighting, makes it so much more enjoyable.
Machines and magic/super powers are the only things that could reival the sword in the coolness factor.

Clubs are less exciting. I think that the main reason for swords, is because in a world were magic has it's weakness's within close combat, and you don't use mechs or whatever. that swords make the fighting more fun.

this argument isn't perfect, but there you go.

Signature
"life is like an analogy"

Unoffically, but nearly verified, tallest person you'll ever meet. (on MT)

If you stare long enough, it will wink at you. (especially if you go crazy because your staring so long)

HamsterJohn

HamsterJohn

Defender of ur Mom

'Cuz guns are overrated

000011111 11110000111 000111 111 111 !!!!oneone one

Stop wasting the internet!

Quote by randomspaceIn all honestly there aren't alot of weapon choices out there.
you have Guns, club like objects(mase, bats, etc.), are own
body(fists,legs, magic or super power,), machines(mechs, veichles,
maybe a projectile weapon that isn't considered a gun), and we have
cutting weapons, like swords.
5 or so options. Guns are nice, but swords are much easier to look
flashy. You can do fun combonations and the ability to great diffrent
battle systems when a character has a flashy style of fighting, makes
it so much more enjoyable.
Machines and magic/super powers are the only things that could reival
the sword in the coolness factor.
Clubs are less exciting. I think that the main reason for swords, is
because in a world were magic has it's weakness's within close combat,
and you don't use mechs or whatever. that swords make the fighting more
fun.
this argument isn't perfect, but there you go.

You missed explaining how swords are cooler than plain ol' fisticuffs, though :)

Hmm, what about whips? Oh wait, nevermind, even those are cooler as swords :D

Daggers! If you're a ninja or assassin...

And then there's Kurenai's line weapon from Red Ninja... what was that called again? Not a sword, at any rate. Interesting.

destati

Yuusha-Oh

I personally think that, especially in RPGs, the use of swords is more rooted in tradition than anything else. Yes, swords are great and all, but in RPGs, you can't really...tell. A character swinging a sword might as well be swinging an axe or a mace. Swords have just been a part of the fantasy mythos for so long that it's easiest just to go along with it (swords and sorcery and all).

Given the amount of time that swords have been developed in games and movies, any other weapon could look just as awesome. The movie Equilibrium does a great job of making guns look freaking awesome, even better than they do in the Matrix. I'm personally a big fan of quarterstaffs.

Why swords? Because it wouldn't look as cool if you were walking around killing people with guns. But honestly I like guns better though.

geninlv1

geninlv1

untamed

Heh, maybe these big swords are compensating for something else ;)
Joking aside, I just think swords are teh kewlness. There's no guy alive that hasn't played swordfighting games where they were younger (especially with those Hot Wheels tracks).
I agree with the idea that its an ingrained aspect of most, if not all, rpgs. The earliest stuff like D&D always had the main character as a barbarian type with the strength level of "impossible" and the intelligence level of "retard". Ahem, point is the "sword" (dagger, knife, anything with at least one sharp edge) always symbolized "justice", "peace", n stuff, so it seems fitting for the main chara to have such a weapon.
.... This doesn't explain villains with swords, though. But that's just my two canadian cents (1.67cents US)

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

*takes out his sword* Bow down to me before I cut you in half. *battle cry, then trips* Ow. I should've brought my gun. Heheheh. *runs away quickly*

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Swords are just a very balanced weapon and simple size or shape variation gives a sword a specialty. Large two-handed swords give range and power(like a claymore), while smaller and thinner swords still give a decent range and good speed. Swords are the most balanced weapon. Other weapons such as axes are top heavy or don't really have any fending capability that an open long blade does, since an axe requires a swinging action to really deal a decent wound.
Guns vs Swords. If you are fightin in real life to save your own ass, use a gun... better them dead than you. But when it comes to a fictional characters in fictonal worlds, swords can be much more fun and dazzling than a gun.

I think fighting with a sword is always more funny than assasinating s.o. from a distance of hundred meters with a gun ...
the movement of your charakter becomes much more important when you must fight with a sword or sth like this...

because swords are probably the most balanced weapon for individual combat, and the biggest weapon to be part of everyday clothing.

I perfer pole arms if put in the role of hero though....

Seig Jion....Seig Jion

DaNuke

DaNuke

Punio de Hierro

Quote by ShieldDrakeSwords are awesome, and they're pretty varied too. You have your greatsword (52" blades, two handed) longswords (40"blades, one or two handed), hand and a half swords (aka bastard swords, about 45" blades,
one or two hands), short swords (I'm bored of listing blade length
now), scimitars, falchions, cutlasses, rapiers, double bladed swords
(like Zidane from FF9's ultimate weapon), and daggers (throwing and
stabbing dagger)

Don't forget the tanto, the wakizashi, the katana and the gendaito.

Quote by people from the Irrompibles forumsDaedalus: i can imagine Rince's mangas
plater: ECCHI!
Pollo: Pure vile hentai.

Listening: Vengaboys - We Like to Party (The Vengabus)

the sword is the most balanced melee tool in most styles. While dirks and other smaller weapons have speed, they lack the damage capability unless you are real close and hit the right spot. Conversly the axe and other heavy weapons lend to more damage with a sacrifice of speed.

In Bushido the sword represented your soul.
In Freud the sword represents the male part of the anatomy making up for lack of size and often taking out the frustration on others.

never noticed that but yeah now that i look at it, you are right, mostly swords, but swords are cool and sharp, so they are cool.

Gizot

Gizot

FLUGREKORDER NICHT OFFNEN

Just because the swords are great!!!!!
There are some many swords in a RPG, but all are different...
I think swords are excellent!!! :)

Signature

Yllidan

Life goes on.....

Because they are wanderfull and is't exist simething more cool what a good fihgter wiht a great sword XD

Mindslice

Maniacal Bunny Lord

I just think swords pwns.

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 43 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.