Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Need an anime expert.. - Minitokyo

Need an anime expert..

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Okay.. I need an anime expert out there who is well-knowledged in anime series.. .. uhh.. sorry, but this isn't for people who only know about Dragonball and Sailor Moon.. so please go away and watch some other anime, because you are limiting yourself from watching soooo many other beautiful things out there :D .. (It's okay, I love you anyway.)

Er.. anyway.. so.. for the rest of you ^_^ ..

The problem:
I'd like to introduce my boyfriend to anime, but he's probably one of the last people on earth to really "get it" .. he still complains about the size of their abnormally large eyes.. and he'll randomly flip to an anime series and make fun of it (you know, the Yu-gi-oh stuff .. >_> ..) .. .. Despite this, he insists on me showing him a series, since it's a passion of mine..

SO

I need some suggestions for an amazing series. Yes, I myself, have seen many anime, however.. things like Ayashi no Ceres, Escaflowne, Spirited Away .. I'm not sure .. perhaps they are too "out of touch with reality" for him..

Things he likes..
- Baseball
- Politics
- Fencing
- Seinfeld
- Simpsons
- Calvin & Hobbes

Please help ..? Thanks so much for reading!!

Takeshi1589

Takeshi1589

King of Cynicism

Hmmm...Perhaps something that focuses on sports...fencing you say...maybe a series that focuses on swords...and something funny like Calvin & Hobbes. Does he show interests in any anime series? I'm trying to think of something he may like...but...falling a tad short...is there anything else you can tell us?

sammo

Retired Moderator

sammo

Retired Moderator

get him to watch something he'll relate to culturally in the beginning or something that doesn't rely too heavily on japanese/asian culture. i also think you should include something action-packed to get his/her interest sparked. sounds like your friend is into comedy, so i would definitely put that into account. in accordance to his taste, i think a good example would be:
1. fullmetal alchemist
2. one piece (although this way too long)
3. ghost in the shell (it'd be pushing it, i think)
4. those who hunt elves

you might also wanna just try to simply surprise the heck out of him at how advance anime really is in terms of animation, even if he's not interested in these genre:
1. initial d (4th stage)
2. last exile
3. macross zero

i think bleach is also a nice recommendation, since the humor is as close to calvin and hobbes as it can get. hope that helped :)

Takeshi1589

Takeshi1589

King of Cynicism

Fullmetal Alchemist is a good choice and Last Exile is also good in the lines of action and comedy. I know a good bit about most/some Samurai/Ninja/Martial Arts series, Fullmetal Alchemist, Last Exile, Gundam, D.N.Angel, Fruits Basket, Hikaru no Go, and others.

gkff

gkff

he's f**king hot.

i'd recommend MONSTER
http://anidb2.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1539

Signature Image
[the shounen-ai couple from Psychic Force if anyone interested <3 ]

I'm not really an expert...kinda of a newbie myself...but I have watched considerably more than just dragonball and sailormoon...Well, here's my two cents worth...

How about Rurouni Kenshin? Its set in Japan during the Meiji era, has got lots of swordfighting action and even a bit of politics in it. It's pretty popular, and I think i;s something a guy might like. Although I'm not sure your boyfriend might appreciate the silly humorous moments that sometimes occur in the tv series...Maybe you might want to show him the OVAs (I think they're known as Tsuikohen) first, I've never watched them myself but from what I gather they're a lot darker than the series...most seem to think they're better than the series itself.

Hope this helps! If it doesn't, well, good luck on your search. I know how tough it is t introduce someone to anime...

Kei-kun

Kei-kun

Loving Mizuho

Anime expert. I'll put myself to the test. I know a lot a about anime in general, producers, seiyuu and studios alike.
It seems that those you listed above are pretty much fantasy/drama anime titles. And are you thinking that they're out of his range?
I.e. you mean you want some suggestions which conform to his likes.

According to those hobbies listed above, your boyfriend might be interested (that is if he gets into anime) the sport and humor genres. Have you tried introducing him to the romantic comedies or the romance drama genres?
Some or most guys do refuse to watch mahou shoujo or kawaii romantic anime series. If your boyfriend are one of those then they're most likely to settle best with the action/comedy oriented titles.
You may if firstly start off with something serious, something that doesn't highlight the big-eyes feature.
I would first give him something like Love Hina, then something strong like Voices Of A Distant Star, and then perhaps someting more into action like Read Or Die OVA.

If he settles at least to some level of coping with Love Hina, then that may indicate a favor for comedy titles. If he settles well with Voices Of A Distant Star, then he might favor slightly for serious dramatic titles, that includes emotional intensity. And whereas if he settles well with Read Or Die OVA, then that may indicate that he likes the serious action genre.

Oh yes, and another note, you may want to give him a title which has orchestral music. I.e. classically composed music played with none other than classical instruments and very few synthesizers.

Try and give him Read Or Die OVA to watch. If he likes that then your boyfriend might fall into the "shounen-non-kawaii-macho" genre.

darkwaterbunny

darkwaterbunny

cancha! And MORE cancha!

Hmmm yeah, based on what he likes, maybe fullmetal alchemist or maybe even something intense like Grave of Fireflies (but that may be too real and too bloody >.<). Maybe even Wolf's rain, lots of action, short series. Something along those lines, hope it helps ~~

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

I'd say Juuni Kokki might please him... it's prolly the best fantasy anime I know and it envolves different themes... politics, relationships, magic, war... it's a masterpiece and it should be able to catch his attention. Otherwise Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which I think is an other fine anime for "outsiders". Or maybe Berskerk. Err guess I'll be better list them all:

- Juuni Kokki
- Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
- Berserk
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Cowboy Bebop
- Akira
- Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade
- Kidou Senshi Gundam
- Macross
- Ima, Soko ni iru boku (translated: "Now and then, here and there")

and this should be enough :)

Takeshi1589

Takeshi1589

King of Cynicism

Oh yeah, Wolf's Rain! Forgot about that one. Sounds like Rurouni Kenshin, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam, and GitS: SAC are some of your best bets. Kenshin, FMA, and GitS: SAC are really good and he would probably like them. The OVAs and others of Kenshin are pretty dark and tell Kenshin's past, present and future, depending on which one you watch. It does have some politics in it, but it's mainly swords action. The major part of the politics is about the Meiji gov't and parts where people are trying to over-throw it. GitS: SAC is mainly random things and politics with major action thrown in everywhere. But it's really good.

Yoh

Yoh

Yoh The Great!

Maybe a sport anime like Hajime no Ippo or Slam Dunk, Read or Die, or comic anime like School Rumble or Azumanga Daioh or an action anime like Bakuretsu Tenshi or D.N Angel. I think that he could like some of them. :nya:

Earn money reading e-mails here

ericcarson

ericcarson

Anime Addict

Okay every body seems to be fovused on his intrests, Tis is not a garunteed way to get him inot anime.. As a soldier in the US Army i have recurited about 13 people into the "way of anime" , lol, so u could sauy i have expeirnce in this. Everybody seems to be quoting this yeas "latest and greatest" wich are not nessasarily for everybody. many peole find ghost GIST SAC too boring after the first 2 epps cause there is too much talking, what they need is action. Here is the breakdown.

Most people new to anime will either LOOOve it at first sight (not his case i gather) or not like it that much. rarly do people despise it. Its the people who dont really like it that are the challenge.

Simply stated the anime series he would find interetsing depends on his personality, if he prefers action movies over comedy movies for example. If he is into the "demonic" stuff, Demon ladies, vampires, evile, black leather, ect... But from the meagre description you gave of him It seems comedy is in order.

Most comedy in anime is centered around love and romance, like 2 or more girls competing for the same shy guy, is one of the most popular themes. However if relaxed humor is more your style than Azumanga Daioh would be in order.

Again you just didi not hive enough information about ther person, so i am forced to recomend some "catch-all" anime. Unfortulatly it has not been liscenced so is only avalable in subtitle format.
Bleach - Action, Physicl comedy, situatonal comedy, and a healty amount of romance thown in to make things interesting.
Maburhao - Insane girls fighting over guy action with a insane plot twisth about halfway through.

And in conclusion, we really need more information on this guy May.....

- Your sourse for quality scans! 2000x3000 or greater!

Support our troops. I need a loan... LOL j/k

Nuriko

Retired Moderator

Nuriko

Hentai Slayer

Quote by may
The problem:
I'd like to introduce my boyfriend to anime, but he's probably one of
the last people on earth to really "get it" .. he still
complains about the size of their abnormally large eyes.. and he'll
randomly flip to an anime series and make fun of it (you know, the
Yu-gi-oh stuff .. >_>; ..) .. .. Despite this, he insists
on me showing him a series, since it's a passion of mine..
SO
I need some suggestions for an amazing series. Yes, I myself,
have seen many anime, however.. things like Ayashi no Ceres,
Escaflowne, Spirited Away .. I'm not sure .. perhaps they
are too "out of touch with reality" for him..
Things he likes..
- Baseball
- Politics
- Fencing
- Seinfeld
- Simpsons
- Calvin &amp; Hobbes
Please help ..? Thanks so much for reading!!

If he watches violent movies, I would recommend Hellsing. It's short, it's sweet. Drawbacks: It touches on religion and is pretty graphic. Pluses: Politics is great and the fighting is artistic.

If he is in to Sci-Fi, Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star). I personally use this anime to bring people to APA meetings and it never fails. A touching story about true love and its boundries across time and space. Drawbacks: Slight alien/mecha action. Pluses: By the time they show up the story is so emotional its hard to make fun of.

If he wants to see something completely cracked out: Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena). It's got politics, fencing, and lesbianesque encounters. It's a must-see, but I don't think he's "ready" for the enlightenment.

If he is kind of quirky, Azumanga Daioh is good. I tend to show Azumanga to people who have never seen any anime. Drawbacks: Some people don't like kids. Pluses: There is something for everyone in it. I personally relate to Sakaki's pet thing (I'm that way with kids) and I act like Osaka... the rest of the times.

And finally, if he is looking for something that is genre-breaking: I would recommend Perfect Blue or Nausicaa (of the valley of wind). Both directors destroy the misconception of anime is big eye, big bood, tiny waist, big hip ecchi cartoons.

i tried to pick things that I know are readily available on Amazon.com. If you're looking for something fansubbed, let me know, as the list is longer.

Signature Image
Congrats to Crash-kun :: sarak :: Evanrued for winning the Nuriko Prize!

SearSay

ElectroMagnetic Dragon

I have watched more anime than anyone I know. There are a few Litmus test anime that work really well to see which way he leans and then slowly bribe him into watching a greater variety.
1) Don't go for a whole series - He's not that interested yet. Choose only ova's or movies. My personal recommendations.

-Read or Die OVA
-Tenchi Muyo 1st OVA
-Ghost in Shell 1st movie (stand alone complex?? - i stink at remembering titles and artisits.. just remember the story lines)
-Kenshin OVA
-Ranma 1st few eps (if you've seen one you've seen them all)
-Lain (little more hardcore but who knows.... probably for your more intellectual types)
-3x3 eyes
-Crest of Stars
-Habaine Renmei
-Hellsing
-happy lesson
-king of jing bandit
-vandread

I personally given what you've said would start with habaine renmei, crest of stars, king of jing, read or die, and kenshin - see what he liks and then maby take him to a series with some more depth to it. but any of the above would be decent starter animes depending on the person

-Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
-Smith & Wesson....The original point and click interface.

I'm by no means an expert, but based on the fact that we share five of the six interests you listed, might I suggest Full Metal Panic.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.