Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Existentialism on prom night - Minitokyo

Existentialism on prom night

page 1 of 1 10 total items

comprogrammer

comprogrammer

Changing in the Light

many of us ponder the meaning of our own existance quite often. i am one of these people, and guess whats coming up hear.... yep its prom night. but i won't be with anyone i'll be here alone pondering my sad existance. i used to get really sad cause i'm so lonely, but now it seems that i'm just extreamly confused as to why i'm even in existance. i don't know where to go from here. and it would seem that death is no solution. is confusion worse than sadness?

Signature Image

CLAMPchic

CLAMPchic

I'm just me

I think that the two are interwoven...sadness can lead to confusion, and vice versa. Everyone has a purpose for existence...just not everyone has found theirs yet, and it sounds like you haven't. I draw my purpose from my relationship with Christ and the faith that God knows why I'm here (and has a plan for me), but I'm sure many people disagree with that (and I'm not trying to preach, or say I'm better than anyone else, so please don't misunderstand). Death is no solution...and if it helps you any, I'm a girl who's never been asked to a formal event at my school in my 3 years of high school (and we have two formals a year). Don't be sad...prom night isn't everything.
Wow...sorry, that all sounded really sappy...hope a certain someone isn't reading this.

Signature
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been." ~ Anonymous

Jinpun

Jinpun

The one and only

Its up to you to find your own answer to your questions. I was just like you a few years ago and to an extent I still am. After a few years of pondering the same things you are and coming up with no answers, I eventually stopped caring. Right now, if you asked me my purpose for living, I would tell you that I don't know. The key is that it doesn't bother me any more.

It used to eat me up like you, why I don't have purpose, or even grander, why all life in the universe doesn't have a purpose. I gave up and said whatever, I'm happy doing the things I enjoy, watching anime, talking with people on forums, etc. You need to find out for yourself what you want to do...

And for the record, I didn't go to a single dance/prom/homecoming throughout all of my Middle School and High School career. These things are only as important as you make them. And being alone is tough, I am in the same boat, and the only thing that comforts me, is that statistically speaking, I'm bound (as well as you) at some point to find the person I'm looking for. It may be tomorrow or 10 years from now...but I'll be damned if I miss her...

Good luck with things...just know that you aren't alone and that we are all here if you need to talk...

Signature

kai81220

kai81220

anti Nobunaga

X.X wha?? so much stuff to read....

Quote by comprogrammermany of us ponder the meaning of our own existance quite often. i am one of these people, and guess whats coming up hear.... yep its prom night. but i won't be with anyone i'll be here alone pondering my sad existance. i used to get really sad cause i'm so lonely, but now it seems that i'm just extreamly confused as to why i'm even in existance. i don't know where to go from here. and it would seem that death is no solution. is confusion worse than sadness?

why would you do this on prom night? XD jkjk
hmm it seems like self pity or something cause instead of pondering sad existances, you should go enjoy yourself cause prom only happens once (i think) in your life. as for the sad existance, yes that is life. we are all small specks when you look at the vastness of the universe as a whole. you really have to make yourself a personal spot in the world or you'll just be comepletely lost. enough ranting from me, its really up to you and what you want to achieve in this lifetime. sitting around won't get you anywhere.

best of luck in finding the answer ^^

Signature

Quote by comprogrammermany of us ponder the meaning of our own existance quite often. i am one of these people, and guess whats coming up hear.... yep its prom night. but i won't be with anyone i'll be here alone pondering my sad existance. i used to get really sad cause i'm so lonely, but now it seems that i'm just extreamly confused as to why i'm even in existance. i don't know where to go from here. and it would seem that death is no solution. is confusion worse than sadness?

Awwwwwwww. You don't have someone to go with? That's O.K. Nothing wrong with that. Oh and no confusion is not worse that sadness. Don't worry though I think a lot of people are confused. Like me! See your not lonely ether!

Keough

Keough

Lockhart

XD all right that's tru. But sadly i'm not gonna go to my porm or well for now i'm not gonna go.

i recommend reading the manga 'nhk Ni Youkoso!'
its really funny and may cheer you up

thelunarmage

thelunarmage

I'm getting too old for this...

Don't feel so bad. At least you're pondering and questioning. It's good that you're searching and while you may be confused for some time, have faith that if you keep searching you'll eventually find an answer. I'm in the same space as CLAMPchic taking my comfort that God does have a plan for me even if I don't know it, and I agree with Jinpun that the trick is to try not to care so much about it. If it makes you feel any better I'm 29 years old and I've never even been on a date with a girl let alone had anyone I could go with to a prom night. You're really in a pretty good position to be able to ponder such deep questions of life and I admire you for saying you're confused about it. Keep searching, eventually you'll find that meaning that gives you the deep satisfaction your heart longs for. :)

Phantom: You alone can make my song take flight! It's over now, the music of the night! - The Phantom of the Opera

Proud member of: Oldsters |MegatokyoFC | GameThreadSociety | Goddess-Fanclub | Dub-Lovers-Group | ChrnoCrusade | MT-Singles-Club | Minitokyo-Australia

muhahahahahaha....than again your existentialism is nothing compared to me XD

-----------------------------------
From my experiences, only miserable and lonely people can be seriously existentist.

Why do you wonder about life? Simple, it is because you are so miserable that life seem pointless. People hate pain and misery, and when life itself has become nothing but that, than living itself is an absurd choice in the short team. People live for happiness, and when people no longer believe in happiness, they can not believe in living either. It really is kinda logical, really.

As a relatively happy person, there is absolutely no reason to wonder why they are living. They enjoying it, and certainly one can't die when there is good food to eat, mangas that needs to be read and dreams to be pursued. However to a depressed, all that is pointless, as they can not enjoy anything around them, and rarely have hope for anything as they often can't even imagine what it is like to be happy.

From my own search, I can tell you that the answer isn't a abstract concept or some universal truth. All those high philosophy would just sound like some alien, far distant dream that draws one further and further into nowhere. The will to live is not a idea, it is a feeling. It if is merely an idea, just some bright guy writing about it would solve it forever and we wouldn't have generations of people being lost and endless threads about "the meaning of life" in all forums that have, had or will exist.

Ever get annoyed if you where interrupted while playing a game or something like that? To many, getting interrupted with life is just the same.

As for prom, I do realize that "dates" are good triggers and excuses to get full in self pity and have angst level increase by a magnitude, but they really don't mean much by themselves. Prom would certainly be a insignificant think by the time you reach 40. However, the problem underlying all those thoughts are very, very serious as it would easily determine whether or not you live to 40 or not. Just realize what the problem really is.

I can't give you answers on how to solve it, since I'm in the same boat too, only longer, more cynical, and possibly more self aware.

Quote: is confusion worse than sadness?

It is the same thing with different symptoms.
-----

as for god, it can work but it is not the only way. (I personally hate the idea of god)
find hope in heaven
find society in church
find order in holy rules
and would be an improvement over lonely, miserable and aimless existence. It is the experience and not the floating omnipotent that kinda solves the problem. (but there are other experiences)
----------------------------------

Quote: originally posted by ganon
i recommend reading the manga 'nhk Ni Youkoso!'
its really funny and may cheer you up

I agree. This is on manga that impressed me into a fanboy 1/4 of a chapter into it.......

Tatsurd-chan sugoiiiii!!!1 (in a hentai, hikikomori, loli way.....) XD

google BNBT tracker or Mangainc for the manga downloads.

(and it has ALOT of fan service too....lol.....)

If you are wondering what it is about, it is about the life of someone suffering from serious social withdrawal. (annoying enough is that he still have more of a social life than I do, though it is all really messed up)

Seig Jion....Seig Jion

Hahaha, exestentialism doesn't mean being a whiny goth turd.
Your own existence is proof of itself. Questions of existence have nothing to do with yourself, that is arrogant and petty.

Edit: Call it a harsh "reality" check.
Double edit to address the post above: Getting sad and depressed is a mental weakness. Strength is the ability to see, but not let it negatively effect you. My exestentialism makes me wiser, gives me perception, and makes me question all. Depression only sets in if you give up asking the very questions the train of thought you're supposed to push. And questioning one's own existence is ridiculous at it's very core.

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.