Poll: Diversity versus Unity (terminated)

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 7 total items

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Cancel

Do you think it is better to be part of a diverse community or is it better to be part of a unified community?

I think it is better to be part of a diversified community because I would be able to learn about the cultures of other people and how they go about their everyday businesses. I don't want to have to restrict myself to being in a unified community because I may learn the ways of a unified community too fast and then I wouldn't be able to adjust to diverse communities as quick as I could.

Lincoln University in Pennsylvania is a perfect example. 96 percent of the campus is black, and the other 4 percent are other races. If the vast majority of the people here are of one race, then I'm not learning that much, and, not to offend anyone, the things that are being learned outside of the classes are not good, and the things being learned in my classes is unnecessary for my major, but that is a whole different subject. However, if I transfer to Illinois State University, I know I will be in a more diverse community, and there is no absolute majority on one culture or race.

Edit: I screwed up on the poll. Please wait on that one until it gets fixed...maybe.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

  • Apr 18, 2005

skysong

skysong

~SMS~

Cancel

Quote by melmachine18I think it is better to be part of a diversified community because I would be able to learn about the cultures of other people and how they go about their everyday businesses. I don't want to have to restrict myself to being in a unified community because I may learn the ways of a unified community too fast and then I wouldn't be able able to adjust to diverse communities as quick as I could.

I agree that it is good to learn about other cultures instead of just keeping yourself stuck in a box. You need to step out of the box and see what else is out there. Learn new things about different people. You could even find you have many things in common :)

Signature
	Image

  • Apr 18, 2005
Cancel

Quote by melmachine18Do you think it is better to be part of a diverse community or is it better to be part of a unified community?
I think it is better to be part of a diversified community because I would be able to learn about the cultures of other people and how they go about their everyday businesses. I don't want to have to restrict myself to being in a unified community because I may learn the ways of a unified community too fast and then I wouldn't be able to adjust to diverse communities as quick as I could.
Lincoln University in Pennsylvania is a perfect example. 96 percent of the campus is black, and the other 4 percent are other races. If the vast majority of the people here are black, then I'm not learning that much; I'm mostly just learning the same things over and over again. However, if I transfer to Illinois State University, I know I will be in a more diverse community, and there is no absolute majority on one culture or race.
Edit: I screwed up on the poll. Please wait on that one until it gets fixed...maybe.

Quote by skysongI agree that it is good to learn about other cultures instead of just keeping yourself stuck in a box. You need to step out of the box and see what else is out there. Learn new things about different people. You could even find you have many things in common :)

I agree with both of you. like you said, I want too to learn about the other cultures and about different people. If it would be a unified community you would earn everything very fast and it would be ver boring.
Besides, it's so fun to learn new things. :D I wouldn't have fixed it, if I lived in a unified community. Horrible..... :hmpf: x_x

Signature
	Image
Member of: ~Make a friend~ ~Serenity~ ~Japanese~ ~FinalFantasyFans~
I'll see you all around, people! :D

  • Apr 18, 2005

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

Cancel

for me diversity is definately important. I grew up in Dubai which is an extremely cosmopolitan society and I got to experience all different cultures throughout my whole life. I love learning about new things and trying new things. (That's how I got hooked on anime and japanese food and music) ^_^

Signature
	Image
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

kaolla-kake

kaolla-kake

Guitar Goddess

Cancel

Quote by melmachine18If the vast majority of the people here are black, then I'm not learning that much; I'm mostly just learning the same things over and over again.

What exactly do you mean by that? I know you'd like to know more about cultures and all, but pointing out a specific race and saying that you're "learning the same thing over and over" is not the right way to put it. That could be taken as an offense to several people...as if saying they're holding you back. Just re-word it because I don't understand what you mean.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Cancel

Quote by kaolla-kakeWhat exactly do you mean by that? I know you'd like to know more about cultures and all, but pointing out a specific race and saying that
you're "learning the same thing over and over" is not the right way to
put it. That could be taken as an offense to several people...as if
saying they're holding you back. Just re-word it because I don't
understand what you mean.

Edit done.

To be precise, not to be offensive to anyone, the people on my campus are holding me back. I'm not learning that much...well, I don't pay attention to a lot of what goes on here. That's why I don't associate with many anyone. I'm basically a loner, and I do not desire conflict. The people on my campus influence others to do things their way, and the things that are done are bad, such as smoking weed, drinking and even illegal drinking, defiling and damaging property, and so on.

Bear malice towards me, but I speak the truth.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

  • Apr 18, 2005

Kumiko-H

Kumiko-H

Professional reader

Cancel

I think i want to be part of a diverse community. I like learning about different cultures and people. Only living in one place where nothing ever changes and everyone is exactly alike is boring.

Signature
	Image
All I want to do is read all day long. Can someone tell me how I can get a job like that! LET'S LEAD THE PROFESSIONAL READERS REVOLUTION!!! Any takers???

  • Apr 18, 2005

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.