Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 WARNING: Regular emailing and posting can cause low IQ - Minitokyo

WARNING: Regular emailing and posting can cause low IQ

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Miroku4444

Miroku4444

Ecchi Enthusiast!!

I just had to do this one :lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4471607.stm

'Infomania' worse than marijuana

Workers distracted by email and phone calls suffer a fall in IQ more than twice that found in marijuana smokers, new research has claimed.

The study for computing firm Hewlett Packard warned of a rise in "infomania", with people becoming addicted to email and text messages.

Researchers found 62% of people checked work messages at home or on holiday.

The firm said new technology can help productivity, but users must learn to switch computers and phones off.

Losing sleep

The study, carried out at the Institute of Psychiatry, found excessive use of technology reduced workers' intelligence.

Those distracted by incoming email and phone calls saw a 10-point fall in their IQ - more than twice that found in studies of the impact of smoking marijuana, said researchers.

More than half of the 1,100 respondents said they always responded to an email "immediately" or as soon as possible, with 21% admitting they would interrupt a meeting to do so.

The University of London psychologist who carried out the study, Dr Glenn Wilson, told the Daily Mail that unchecked infomania could reduce workers' mental sharpness.

Those who are constantly breaking away from tasks to react to email or text messages suffer similar effects on the mind as losing a night's sleep, he said.

I have a real bad case of this!! XD

Signature

Kenichi

Kenichi

Retired MT Member

i guess thats true.. i got dumber after grade school. X.x

Signature

Kei-kun

Kei-kun

Loving Mizuho

Holy cow! I study psychology for my degree, and that statement is very true. Man... it proves my thought that internet does reduce your grades.

DarkVirus

DarkVirus

::Nobody::

wooow...

i can get dumber and dumber everyday....

by just reading ur email and talking on the phone...

that is just weird O_O

retire

O_O geeze do you know how many times I post a day on websites and check my e-mail.. thats alot -_- and that sucks

OceanAngel01

OceanAngel01

umi no tsubasa

LOL. I post on here and other sites and check my e-mail frequently. Oh, well! ;)

jackie-lyn

jackie-lyn

Non-Chinese-speaking Chinese

I realised it myself too. That's why I'm trying to catch up with my reading (books, not on the net). XP

Movin'...

gundamknight

gundamknight

Newtype

That's why I don't (try) avoid it right before (not likely). I check my email at least 7 times a day at minimum and several times here at MT usually and time... oh joy, I have college finals starting tomorrow. ;)

Weird. To say the least.

For my school Grad Yearbook this year I was voted Most Likely To: Owe you $500!
I am also learning Jiu-Jitsu.

LimitlessDreams

Constantly Dreaming

Hmm... I hope that isn't completely true. XD
Otherwise.... -_-

Signature Image

Vinitachi

Vinitachi

Azndude

I guess... *Looks at grades*
It either the internet or I'm just not caring.... Used to be As and Bs now... it includes Cs. OX

Learning little by little.
Signature

I guess it makes sense. If you can no longer sustain long periods of concentration, your IQ probably would diminish.

Time to go out more and interact with real people, I guess. :D

xiaku

xiaku

-exotique-

yeah, i read some article like that on CNN.com. i got scared. lol.

Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

lol, oh dear me... that could be bad... i check my email, post on here, and talk to my friends via AIM almost everyday!

Signature Image

bbls

bbls

Lazy days...

oh my...that is so depressing to read...i wish you never posted this... x_x
don't you know that ignorance is bliss... XP

Don't worry about tomorrow, don't think about yesterday,
don't live in the future, just make it through today!

Signature Image

neophyte

neophyte

The Perpetual Noob

Hmm i wish i could go back in time. then maybe i wouldnt have spent those countless hours online... ><

They say practice makes perfect; but since on one's perfect what's the point of practicing?

now that's disturbing.... o___O;;

Signature Image
latest wall::feathers and such [Kingdom Hearts II]; previous wall::samurai poses [Samurai Champloo];
proud member of::The UnderAppreciated; Bleach; ChrnoCrusade; Journey-To-The-West; Silver-Rhythm;

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Well, I don't know what to say. Makes me glad I'm automating a lot of the email functions at work, keeping our IQ higher than if we had to copy paste so many emails out to send business replys.

I think the loss of IQ is more related to the individual developing traits of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder, and not taking care of themselves. As they have to answer a message, phonecall, IM, they lose their train of thought in what they were doing and have to start over again... causing mental exhaustion, blah blah blah.

I take forever in composing my replys on emails, so maybe that helps me stay focused, or choose to take time to reply. Not being impulsive and responding to any normal day chatter. I'll bet these people who had this IQ decrease would also chat on their Cel Phones while driving (and it's not for directions).

My intelligence has increased tenfold after suffering from this so called "informania".
The Internet is a wonderful thing. Don't knock it.

Though I do admit that all the Xanga and short hand butchered English speaking people would make people believe it is true.

echidnaboy726

echidnaboy726

Good eye, sniper

Hmmm.... You know what this tells me? I need to drop out of school, quit the net, move to Jamaica and smoke weed for the rest of my life. Oh well, I never believed in those studies anyway. *checks Notifications*

ArucardsMaster

Captin obvious

Well I think that it all depends how u use the net. People do still use it to learn stuff (not many) cough* cough* but I think that the people that their IQ is going down, they aren't learning because our school classes are 40 minutes long. 10 minutes is the kids talking and the teacher cooling them down, 5 minutes is taking attendance, and 10 minutes at the end of the class of doing nothing. so 10+10+5=25 minutes wasted out of 40. 40-25=15. Classes are really 15 minutes long and then theres 5 minutes to get to the next class.

In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.
~Hellsing~

Alex204

Seeking Rakuen

I am always very wary of sudies like this... if fact i am very wary of anyone who thinks there can measure "intelegence"... sometimes people just need to think for them selves for once and use some un common sence.

Quote by echidnaboy726Hmmm.... You know what this tells me? I need to drop out of school,
quit the net, move to Jamaica and smoke weed for the rest of my life.
Oh well, I never believed in those studies anyway. *checks
Notifications*

Lol. See what i mean? Stats can be interpretated to show anything!

Signature
"Rules are there to make you think before you break them."

GintheTwilightswords

GintheTwilightswords

Burn away the regret and dread.

Ok, that's reeeeeeaaaaallly messed up. No wonder I have trouble remembering stuff and sleeping sometimes XP . But I hope isn't comepltely true, casue even so I still managed to do well in school and stuff (got a 1441 on SATs and I didn't even study-too busy checking emails XD)

Signature Image
Dear sister you shall always hold a place in my heart

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.